A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
Results 421 to 434 of 434
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The problem is that Serini probably isn't going to bother with those because she thinks she's right and because of her trauma.
    I would wager that defeating Lirian and Dorukan, taking Azure City, and almost completely razing the entire Sapphire Guard (twice, if you count the oath spirits as a second round) probably factor into it a bit more than just "he hurt me". Not that her own loss didn't sting, but she was probably the weakest of the Scribbles combat-wise, and Xykon trounced all of them that he faced except Soon (though he did trounce Soon's entire army and also entire paladin order, both corporeal and non).

    Xykon is no glass cannon and she is very aware of that. Putting it entirely down to her specific one-on-one loss to him lessens her valid point that is is hell of a nut to crack.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would wager that defeating Lirian and Dorukan, taking Azure City, and almost completely razing the entire Sapphire Guard (twice, if you count the oath spirits as a second round) probably factor into it a bit more than just "he hurt me". Not that her own loss didn't sting, but she was probably the weakest of the Scribbles combat-wise, and Xykon trounced all of them that he faced except Soon (though he did trounce Soon's entire army and also entire paladin order, both corporeal and non).

    Xykon is no glass cannon and she is very aware of that. Putting it entirely down to her specific one-on-one loss to him lessens her valid point that is is hell of a nut to crack.
    I would say "getting maimed" and "my friends got murdered" are extremely big factors for her and the rest is salad dressing. Assuming she even knows the details about Soon(she probably doesn't).

    Like, they're still infinitely more understandable and sympathetic motives. Far more than "lol I'm right" option. Just saying that she's not really operating primarily on logic and philosophy here.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I would say "getting maimed" and "my friends got murdered" are extremely big factors for her and the rest is salad dressing.
    I agree, and that was the point I was making (especially when her friends were very likely among the most powerful people that were alive at the time). I was saying that simply "he scarred me" was cheapening it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Like, they're still infinitely more understandable and sympathetic motives. Far more than "lol I'm right" option.
    And I recall me arguing, multiple times, "hey this is the middle of a thing and maybe we should wait until it's done to pass judgements".
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Uh, "friends being murdered" does kinda seem like a major trauma button?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Uh, "friends being murdered" does kinda seem like a major trauma button?
    If Xykon had killed her super close friends Alice and Bob who were dirt farmers, do you think she would have the same trauma reaction? It'd not "he killed my friends". It's "he killed some of the msot powerful people in the world and is still kicking around".
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2022

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Then those aren't the D&D class Barbarians, but are their tribe's Warriors or Experts or something. Society =/= Class.
    I get that it represents a fighting style/personal philosophy but its still super meh.

    For starters, if i wanted to roll conan the barbarian, the OG fantazy barbarian after whom the class is named, as seen in the books, it would most likely be a fighter with a class in rogue. Maybe ranger class for the dual wield.

    Irl, the fighting frenzy fighting style is reminiscent of berserkers and more recently, moro warriors in Philippines. They both are part of a highly structured society, and the frenzy was invoked through ritual and whatever and part of the religious system.

    Or we have better banks than you. I never had to pay transaction fees on my debit card, which is why it surprises me that so many people say they do.

    Is cash not legal where you are or something? Checks? Money Orders? There's loads of non-credit-card based ways of paying for things.
    You need a bank to cash a check.

    No one bothers with cash for official, legal jobs here because everyone is doing things from a payroll system to account the taxes they have to pay and hours worked and whatever. All workplaces ive tried require you have a bank account, and if you dont have one, idk, they'll just hire someone who has one. I got one when going on an exchange trip in school and had to get one despite hours of ranting about the evilness of the usury system

    Oh and some workplaces can run a credit check on you when deciding to hire you.

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    massachusetts
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If Xykon had killed her super close friends Alice and Bob who were dirt farmers, do you think she would have the same trauma reaction? It'd not "he killed my friends". It's "he killed some of the msot powerful people in the world and is still kicking around".
    On the other hand, I don't think she would have had the same reaction if Xykon killed, say, Aarindarius, or some other super powerful person.

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2022

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    Bad news dude, It's going to be at least 5 years. We get 12-15 pages a year and I think 100 pages is a super low estimate. I think its great. If youre not into spending a few weeks talking about the strip and gaming and Star Wars, etc, just come back in 8 years and see if the book is out for sale yet. You'll be happier and we don't have to listen to people gripe about how they aren't getting your free product fast enough.
    Griping about how long it takes someone to put out a stick figure comic where its mostly talking and easily recyclable panel art is a great form of entertainment though. You should try it sometime, its super fun

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    The first lesson I learned in the military is that they tell you all the rules up front. If you follow them you don't have a problem. If you don't pay attention to them then you are going to have issues.

    Credit and banking is like that: you need to follow the rules. You need to know the rules to follow them. Those papers you sign are the rules.

    Example: billing date and due date are clearly stated. The bill is a reminder. Even if you don't receive a bill, you know your due date and minimum payment. The dog ate my homework didn't work in second grade, so why should a company accept the excuse from an adult?

    A person who educates himself on the subject of credit is less likely to have issues, and far less likely to fall victim to predatory lending.

    One mistake I see repeated a lot is the idea that one can borrow one's way out of poverty. This is a huge misuse of credit. If you struggle to meet monthly expenses, adding another debt only makes it worse.

    Credit should only be used when there is the means to pay back the loan. If you buy a house for the same monthly note as your current rent, or if you can afford the $29.99/month for a new game console, then credit is useful to you.
    If you buy a snow-cone machine expecting to be able to pay for it with the profits from your new snow-cone stand, you are assuming the risk that your business will succeed and accepting the responsibilities if it fails.
    If you are involved in debt consolidation, then you need to study harder because by that fact you have demonstrated that you are not prepared to assume debt.

    Education is the key. Learn before you burn.
    In the military they actively tell you and stop you from breaking any rules. In credit cards they do the opposite. You have to look up the rules, which are worded in jargon, and they do everything they can to encourage you to break the rules.

    Take the bill payment issue. Yes, technically it is on my mother to pay the bill by a certain date. But until she got the bill, she didn't know how much to pay. Her only other recourse at the time would be to make a trip into the city and go to the bank in person to get her bill so she could pay it.

    It is better now, she can actually do her banking online instead.

    But yes, you are correct. That backhalf of your post is basically a long winded way of saying 'with diligence and care'. Like I said originally.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  10. - Top - End - #430
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    On the other hand, I don't think she would have had the same reaction if Xykon killed, say, Aarindarius, or some other super powerful person.
    I agree. She was in a unique position to know exactly their capabilities and also be in the same basket they were vis a vis Gate protection. Everything factors into this - that all the other Gates have fallen, that all the other Gate protectors are gone, that the most powerful ones fell to the same person, that she was the weakest among them, and that she herself was also horribly disfigured from a chance encounter that seemingly had him defeat her offhandedly. Everything.

    Which is why I object to "she is only like this because of trauma". And, of course, the only other possibility being "she is like this for no reason other than the lulz".

    And is also why I object to rash characterizations like "she is only like this for the lulz" when the initial fight, which is the first time the Order has even encountered her, just now looks like it's finally concluded.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    I never said she was “only like that because of trauma”. That’s all you.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I never said she was “only like that because of trauma”. That’s all you.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    The problem is that Serini probably isn't going to bother with those because she thinks she's right and because of her trauma.

    Which is a much more humanizing(for lack of a better term) flaw than "haha you're all dumb and I'm right"(which she has but that doesn't seem to be the root cause) one I worried she had.
    The way you wrote it, I saw only two possible options. Either trauma or "haha you're all dumb and I'm right"

    You should not be surprised if I do not read things you never wrote into what you wrote.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    You do know what “and” means right?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

    Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

    Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    You do know what “and” means right?
    You do know that when two sides have different arguments, each side believes they are right, right? Of course she thinks she's right. Who holds a belief that they think is wrong? Your argument on that boils down to "she thinks she's right because she thinks she's right". It should not surprise you that I don't really think that's much of an argument and dismiss it out of hand.

    Not to mention that you're still making claims like "she will never listen to them!" despite the fact that, again, this fight has literally just ended. I don't know how many different ways I can say this, but have you considered not jumping to absolute conclusions when maybe thirty seconds have elapsed in the scene?
    Last edited by Peelee; Today at 03:12 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •