A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    Scriblers: 2 party members, Dorukan and Girard, want to kill Soon, and Soon want to kill them too, and only ONE party member stops them.

It's almost the opposite. The order can "control" Belkar's hostility cause is only one person and there are at least four against him. The Scribblers had 3 party members with hostility and only one against that.
    Put that way, her diplomacy check must have been a high roll.

We don't know yet how Xykon learned about the existence of that diary. And we know that he knew about it because he went right after it, leaving the rest of Serini, body and epic magic items.
    That's weird.
    Is it possible that this info - that she had a diary for him to loot from her inert body - came from Dorukan or Lirian? Not sure how that would be revealed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Elan is the only member of the Order from whom we see no hint of wanting to kill another member.
    He's such a nice guy.
    But, as I said, I'm not sure what would have happened if they'd stayed together. Even if we discover somehow that breaking up was a mistake, I don't blame Serini for that - they all agreed with her suggestion (so joint responsibility) and it was not obviously wrong.
    Collective blame, so she gets a share but only her share.

I think the most likely scenario was that he found out who Lirian used to adventure with, tracked down Serini, and attacked her as someone who might have relevant knowledge. He found and then checked her diary, saw some stuff that was written in some sort of code, guessed that was what he was after so decoded it, and the secret was out.
    Seems plausible.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Collective blame, so she gets a share but only her share.
    Well yes, if there's blame to be shared out. I don't think there is because the decision to split up seemed a reasonable one at the time. As some people are arguing, perhaps it remains a reasonably decision even when looked at with hindsight.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Well yes, if there's blame to be shared out. I don't think there is because the decision to split up seemed a reasonable one at the time. As some people are arguing, perhaps it remains a reasonably decision even when looked at with hindsight.
    The break up? The what (adventuring band retires and gets on with their lives) isn't as important in this case as is the how - the character of the break up. And that is at least somewhat muddled until Serini does some exposition on screen, since the 'crayons are a bit unreliable' theme is operative in this case.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-25 at 05:16 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!

4. - Top - End - #694
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    For the first two, these things are laid out for us in-comic (albeit print-only):

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    "It took me forever to translate."

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    It took Xykon 18 years to learn about her existence, find her, get the diary, and crack the cipher.
    To be fair, Xykon is pretty terrible in stuff like this.