New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1251 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by drDunkel View Post
    Belkar seems almost confused. Btw, did Haley get hoofed in the front butt? Harsh.
    omg she did! i didn't even notice! XD
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    I can't be the only one thinking that this jokes about Serini reminding Blekar of his grandmother has to be the author trolling all the people who kept guessing they are related, right?
    I doubt it. When people get an idea stuck in their head, it's common for them to look at everything they see as a confirmation of it.

Belkar is just less angry and more cooperative than he used to be- the last two books have had a major impact on him. He's not supposed to be stabbing Serini right now, which has been his default way of interacting with people for a long time now, so he's defaulting to something new that's still within character- making sarcastic commentary.

Serini reminding him of his grandmother seems kind of natural to me. He hasn't been around another halfling in a long time, and Belkar does have a kind of respect for cantankerous behavior.

Meanwhile, Serini's dedication to a clearly lost battle which losing has minimal consequences for her is impressively hard-headed. Her amnesia potion is gone, and even if she escaped the Order is going to release the paladins, find out what her plan was, and permanently thwart it by cast send and letting someone who is beyond Serini's reach what's up. There really is no win condition for her at this point.

3. - Top - End - #93

BardGuy

- Belkar, I am your great-grandmother!
    - No. I killed my great-grandmother.

I also confess, I got really dirty thoughts. I thought that "wet beak" is an invitation to the... uh... date.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Aunt Judy" is another family member implied to be somewhat Belkar-ish:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0165.html
    Great callback

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I suspect, it'll remain ambiguous. Although "on the East of the Great Wheel" seems a sure bet.
    I assume that's the Chaos side?

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    That could be true. It would be kinda funny to hear that Halfling in OotS are actually prone to discussing betrayals as a casual thing.
    To be fair, the only other one we know onscreen IIRC (other than Frudu, who may be fictional in-universe) is Hank, so too small a sample size to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    I also confess, I got really dirty thoughts. I thought that "wet beak" is an invitation to the... uh... date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Can somebody translate Serini's offer for me? Is she offering him weed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Did she just offer Belkar pootang or money?
    Part of me wishes I could read this comic through the lens of a non-American at times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"You'd be surprised"

Dead :-D

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

There was a comic where Belkar mentioned something about grandma Bitterleaf, or Granny Bitterleaf, and I think her recipe for something, but I am not sure I want to search hundreds of strips to find it.
    It is nice to see that his "respect for his elders" is somewhat consistent (Shojo and Serini); so far, we can conclude that he has respect for eccentric old people.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

To be fair, the only other one we know onscreen IIRC (other than Frudu, who may be fictional in-universe) is Hank, so too small a sample size to determine.
    Xykon's TeeVo did record Frudu:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html

and he turned down Roy's offer of a place in the party in Origin of PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    There was a comic where Belkar mentioned something about grandma Bitterleaf, or Granny Bitterleaf, and I think her recipe for something, but I am not sure I want to search hundreds of strips to find it.
    Last panel of page 1 of strip 200:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-01-07 at 02:17 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #98

In other news, after years without them my avatar finally has arms, though along with them came an art update that made it a bit less OOTS-like.

[edit: previous for reference]
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2022-01-07 at 02:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It is nice to see that his "respect for his elders" is somewhat consistent (Shojo and Serini); so far, we can conclude that he has respect for eccentric old people.
    1) when you have Belkar’s lifestyle, reaching old age is far more impressive and admirable
    2) why do folks keep overlooking that people have two grandmas and only one is likely to share their last name?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    I doubt it. When people get an idea stuck in their head, it's common for them to look at everything they see as a confirmation of it....
    Ordinarily I'd be 100% on board with this, but speaking for the forum, I feel pretty called out by V's commentary in Panel 5 concerning Razor and Bloodfeast. ;) Given that context, the idea of a reference to everyone's relative theory seems a lot more plausible.

11. - Top - End - #101

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Xykon's TeeVo did record Frudu:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html

and he turned down Roy's offer of a place in the party in Origin of PCs.
    I knew about the Teevo, but I thought he might be a fictional character in-universe anyway. I had forgotten the OtOoPCs appearance however, so Frudu does exist.

I think that was Mama Bitterleaf rather than Granny.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Could be that.
    But I think the grandma reference I was remembering was from BRitF
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-07 at 02:55 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Firbolg in the Playground

Man, Elan would be so proud of V right now

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

I can't be the only one thinking that this jokes about Serini reminding Blekar of his grandmother has to be the author trolling all the people who kept guessing they are related, right?
    Serini is literally (half-)trolling us.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Aww, I'm with Belkar slightly. My grandma taught me to gamble (and cheat and gambling)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dewin Dwl View Post
    As a math guy I must object, you used the word “literally” but she is only one-quarter troll, according to Xykon’s observation “I made a theee-eighthsling!”.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    "Getting your beak wet" is an avian form of "getting a taste". In the context of Serini having a lot of money, it means Belkar would get to sample the money, i.e., she's offering a bribe.

She's obviously offering money, but like some other posters, I did wonder if she was offering a taste of her honey too...

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

Serini is part troll now, so obviously the author is trolling us

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

What does it mean to get your beak wet?
    To partake in part of the profits of another person's business, usually as a result of extortion. (Used especially in reference to organized crime, particularly "protection money" paid to the Italian Mafia.)
    Trust me, you're better off just giving him what he wants whenever he comes round to wet his beak.
    See also the verb "to wet one's beak"
    Spoiler: more wiktionary stuff
    Show
    wet one's beak (third-person singular simple present wets one's beak, present participle wetting one's beak, simple past and past participle wet one's beak or wetted one's beak)
    (idiomatic) To drink a beverage.
    (idiomatic, gangster slang) To take one's share from the financial proceeds of illicit activity.
    Synonyms
    (drink a beverage): wet one's whistle
    (take one's share from illicit financial activity): get a piece of the pie, get a piece of the action

Quote Originally Posted by drDunkel View Post
    Belkar seems almost confused. Btw, did Haley get hoofed in the front butt? Harsh.
    I zoomed in a little and it appears to me that Serini's heel reached back far enough to hit Haley in the glutes. I say that due to us seeing Serini's foot going past Haley's rearmost leg (based on stance/angle) which to my perspective (yeah, it's a 2D medium) means that we are seeing the foot hit Haley's behind.
    It took me a moment to see what you were referring to, but I can see that reaction also.

@gerryq:
    that would clash with the general tone of the scene
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-07 at 03:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Hah, i'm loving the Belkar Serreni interactions.
    Wait you don't think there's any chance Serreni was going under an alias whilst wondering around do you? She couldn't really be granny Bitterleaf right?
    Belkar is conflicted. Serini is bringing back fond memories of his upbringing as a budding sociopath. I wonder if the next strip will feature Serini going "Bitterleaf? BITTERLEAF?" - her expression in the last panel could be thoughtful.
    Anyway, the dialogue between the paladins is amusing. "You'd be surprised". I don't think O Chul's memories of acidic sharks are fond ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Do you guys seriously think that Belkar doesn’t recognize granny bitterleaf? Like, he knows what his grandma looks like, even trollified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Right. There are enough information aside Serini's surname to ensure that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    He might not recognize grandma's grandma, though. There's a thought.
    In the last panel Serini has stopped struggling to escape Haley, and her expression is no longer angry - it might even be thoughtful.
    While Serini is not Grandma Bitterleaf, I think the surname "Bitterleaf" means something to her. She knew Grandma back in the day, or she's from a branch of the family, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Serini probably isn't that old. Halflings live longer than humans but only like up to 200 years. That's not long enough for five generations to have passed even by human standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    No, Luk— Belkar, I am your grandmother!

I think Word of Giant to the effect that Belkar's childhood was so messed up that he does not want to think of it, let alone write it into the comic has been made in a few places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Belkar is a deep enough character to have a family, which is relevant to the plot, and also he might actually be the great-grandchild (or regular grandchild, but it seems like one of them would realize that) of an important quest NPC?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Also, Granny Bitterleaf is senile, and in a nursing home, if she's still alive.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0689.html

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    - Belkar, I am your great-grandmother!
    - No. I killed my great-grandmother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
    1) when you have Belkar’s lifestyle, reaching old age is far more impressive and admirable
    2) why do folks keep overlooking that people have two grandmas and only one is likely to share their last name?
    Belkar has two Grandmothers, only one who would be named Granny Bitterleaf (and whose maiden name would have been something else besides Bitterleaf before marrying Grampy Bitterleaf) (Props to Mathguy for making most of this point first, so glad I wasn't the only one to realize this), in addition there are potential for siblings (again, Granny Bitterleaf could easily be Serini's Half-Sister... or is it Quarter-Sister, or Sixth-Sister, or Eight-Sister, or Six Sixteenths-Sister... what precisely is the term for a Half-Troll/Half-Halfling Half-Sister of a Halfling?), friends, sixth cousin eight times removed on his mother's father's side, generations early than Granny Bitterleaf, their siblings, friends, ex-lovers, rivals. Belkar and Serini could easily be related directly or indirectly a myriad of ways through Granny Bitterleaf.

Granny Bitterleaf could easily be Tahini Toormuck-Bitterleaf, middle sister of Serini and Bellini Toormuck, Mother of Bakarr Bitterleaf (Belkar's dad, Confectioner and Pastry Chef) and Judy Bitterleaf (Aunt Judy), and wife of Bikarr (Halfling Artificer specializing in making magical steel horses) Bitterleaf.

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    Serini is part troll now, so obviously the author is trolling us
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewin Dwl View Post
    Maybe she is Quarter-Trolling us, cause she is a Half-Troll/Halfling...
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2022-01-07 at 03:21 PM. Reason: to not double post, but to add

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Serini probably isn't that old. Halflings live longer than humans but only like up to 200 years. That's not long enough for five generations to have passed even by human standards.
    Generations, such as the Baby boomers, last 20 years. Technically a human grandmother can be under 40 years old.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #112

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Generations, such as the Baby boomers, last 20 years. Technically a human grandmother can be under 40 years old.
    Technically a Human Grandmother can be under 30 Years old, but that gets into some really icky and morally ambiguous areas... which were far more common centuries ago, but still occur today on rare occasions.
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2022-01-07 at 03:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

So the kettle got knocked to the ground and spilled. Here I was wondering if it would be a Chekhov's kettle where someone would lose their memory, but it appears no such thing is going to occur.

I'm glad Razor got sent back safely! That's a cool Paladin summon.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    So the kettle got knocked to the ground and spilled. Here I was wondering if it would be a Chekhov's kettle where someone would lose their memory, but it appears no such thing is going to occur.

I'm glad Razor got sent back safely! That's a cool Paladin summon.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    I'd say her threatening to swan dive into the cauldron and it getting knocked over in the scuffle satisfied Chekov perfectly. In other words, brandishing Chekov's gun at the heroes, but getting tackled/arrested before you can fire it, still counts.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    I think Word of Giant to the effect that Belkar's childhood was so messed up that he does not want to think of it, let alone write it into the comic has been made in a few places.
    That's not what the Giant said. He said in the foreword of OtOoPC that if he wrote a messed up back story for Belkar that wouldn't make his evil actions better for the readers. Belkar could have had a nice loving family for all we know. And the Giant said elsewhere that he doesn't invent parts of the setting background that are not necessary for writing the story anywhere, so I don't believe that he invented a messed up childhood for Belkar that he never writes about either.

Though I'm probably missing some other Giant quote of Belkar's back story besides the three that I mentioned.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bluepaw View Post
    INCREDIBLE callback to the acid sharks!
    Wow...I'd forgotted about those til you said that!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    Belkar does have a kind of respect for cantankerous behavior.
    Also, in Belkar's words, “I mean, I actually LIKED that guy [Shojo]! He made fun of Roy right to his face!”

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Belkar is conflicted. Serini is bringing back fond memories of his upbringing as a budding sociopath. I wonder if the next strip will feature Serini going "Bitterleaf? BITTERLEAF?" - her expression in the last panel could be thoughtful.

Anyway, the dialogue between the paladins is amusing. "You'd be surprised". I don't think O Chul's memories of acidic sharks are fond ones.
    I'll admit that I initially read the 'Belkar!' as coming from Serini rather than Haley, but I'm not looking for a family reunion here. If Belkar remember Granny Bitterleaf, he he would remember if she went off to be an adventurer, surely?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bluepaw View Post
    INCREDIBLE callback to the acid sharks!
    And the lava breathing ones too! The problem is, you can't see the action through the lava.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    It would be kinda funny to hear that Halfling in OotS are actually prone to discussing betrayals as a casual thing.
    No chance. The Giant has made it very clear that all intelligent species have a wide range of alignments. If he has gone to great lengths to push back against tropes like "All goblins are evil" or "All drow are evil," then he certainly isn't about to suggest those kinds of racial tendencies for halflings. After all, we know in-canon that people expect them to be jolly.