New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keen rapier

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Keen rapier

Can someone explain to me how my player came up with a cost of 235 gold for a keen rapier?

It's like 8k, no? Am I crazy?
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Keen rapier

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how my player came up with a cost of 235 gold for a keen rapier?

They misread something, I'd assume. Or misinterpreted something.

Did you ask them how they got that price?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Ha no. I was just told that he went over it with another party member who now that I think about it, said he mostly plays pathfinder. wondering if he messed up rule sets.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

No idea. I just reexplained the cost. Is there a way to delete this thread? players finding this would be slightly unfortunate.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe he had a Large sized +1 morphing/keen arrow that he turned into and uses as a rapier? Or maybe he doesn't have keen on it but instead has Improved Critical?

[edit] Maybe he has a feat that allows him to get one or more items for cheap? For instance, Ancestral Relic, which grants (essentially) free WBL. Or maybe he had crafting cost reducers and reduced the cost of crafting the weapon.

6. - Top - End - #6

No idea. I just reexplained the cost. Is there a way to delete this thread? players finding this would be slightly unfortunate.
    Only mods can delete a thread.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ask him for the details. If he doesn't have them ask the other player. But the item doesn't exist in your world until you have approved the build.

Be polite and friendly. And firm.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Maybe he had a Large sized +1 morphing/keen arrow that he turned into and uses as a rapier? Or maybe he doesn't have keen on it but instead has Improved Critical?

[edit] Maybe he has a feat that allows him to get one or more items for cheap? For instance, Ancestral Relic, which grants (essentially) free WBL. Or maybe he had crafting cost reducers and reduced the cost of crafting the weapon.

I guess SRD uses the term enhancement bonus for masterwork, and when the same terminology was used for magical weapons, they thought masterwork weapons could have magical abilities.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

9. - Top - End - #9

I guess SRD uses the term enhancement bonus for masterwork, and when the same terminology was used for magical weapons, they thought masterwork weapons could have magical abilities.
    There...are a couple of ways I know of to get a non-magical enhancement bonus on a weapon, which lets you get magical abilities without a markup for having an additional magical +1 to boost the price. Magical enhancement costs are based explicitly on the effective magical enhancement bonus of the weapon, while, RAW, you only need an enhancement bonus but not a magical enhancement bonus to magically enhance a weapon with special abilities. So a non-magical enhancement bonus to attack and damage will allow you to magically enhance it further without increasing the costs of further magical enhancements.

The kakita katana, from Oriental Adventures, grants a +2 enhancement bonus to attack and damage for +8,000 gp, but since it's non-magical, adding keen is a mere +2,000 gp instead of +10,000 gp.

The other way is adding a +1 via making it a device, from Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood. It requires a very expensive fuel cell, however, which generally makes up the difference.

You could also hit it with a permanency'd magic weapon spell, which costs nothing but a bit of XP, and it'd allow you to further magically enhance it with keen or whatever else you want.

However, all of those still cost more than a few hundred gp, even if it's just for the keen property. Although there are effects that grant the keen property, such as the scabbard of keen edges or the artificer's personal weapon augmentation infusion. Or maybe the player pulled some acorn of far travel hax?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The crucial point is that is has to be approved by the DM. Until you see how it was done, don't approve it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Ha no. I was just told that he went over it with another party member who now that I think about it, said he mostly plays pathfinder. wondering if he messed up rule sets.
    Umm, even if they would mix up the rules, that kind of misunderstanding wouldn't have any basis in Pathfinder (1st edition), because they have exactly same magic item costs.

I had to check for 2nd edition because I haven't played that edition myself, but it would seem that even there a keen item would cost over 3,000 gp.

So, it's safe to say this isn't Pathfinder's fault.
    The misunderstanding must've come from elsewhere.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2022-01-10 at 03:20 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

IIRC, its indeed a +2 weapon. Either he's found some specific weapon in like Arms and Armor guide or some 3rd party material, which they might have miss-priced or he's got something wrong...

Lets see if I remember... Its 320gp for the masterwork rapier, then 8000 for the +1, keen enchants. For a total of 8320gp. If he's building/enchanting it himself its then: 107gp for the masterwork weapon and 4000 for the enchantments for at total of 4107gp.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    IIRC, its indeed a +2 weapon. Either he's found some specific weapon in like Arms and Armor guide or some 3rd party material, which they might have miss-priced or he's got something wrong...

Lets see if I remember... Its 320gp for the masterwork rapier, then 8000 for the +1, keen enchants. For a total of 8320gp. If he's building/enchanting it himself its then: 107gp for the masterwork weapon and 4000 for the enchantments for at total of 4107gp.
    Yeah, that 235 gp seems a whole lot like a made-up value. Not pointing fingers here though. It might have been made-up by anyone, really.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2022-01-10 at 01:53 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Yeah, that 235 gp seems a whole lot like a made-up value. Not pointing fingers here though. It might have been made-up by anyone, really.
    Correct me if i’m wrong but isn’t there a weapon template that increases crit threat range?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vote for "going from memory + typo"

+1 enhancement is 2,000

masterwork is 300

lot of swords are 15 gp (longsword, scimitar). probably thought rapier was the same

so 2,315. but whoops, missed the 1. ergo 235 gp

16. - Top - End - #16

Ammo costs 1/50 the price of a melee or ranged weapon, and morphing is a thing...

17. - Top - End - #17

Ammo costs 1/50 the price of a melee or ranged weapon, and morphing is a thing...
    It's also cheesy as all heck and will typically get books thrown at you.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    It's also cheesy as all heck and will typically get books thrown at you.
    And how does that affect this particular topic? At all?

19. - Top - End - #19

And how does that affect this particular topic? At all?
    Because you're presenting it as a "They could be doing this to get that price," when I've never ONCE seen a table where that'd actually fly.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Correct me if i’m wrong but isn’t there a weapon template that increases crit threat range?
    Pitspawned template adds +2 on confirmation rolls - and it's the only one I'm aware of

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Because you're presenting it as a "They could be doing this to get that price," when I've never ONCE seen a table where that'd actually fly.
    The entire thread is about "how could my player have gotten this result legally?" Just because some people wouldn't do it doesn't mean the player didn't, and it's a perfectly valid response to the question asked. The player could have made a Large (or Huge) +1 morphing/keen arrow and gotten somewhere around the price listed in the OP. Did he? Dunno. But he could've.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-01-10 at 03:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

There are lots of 3rd party books that add cheap non-magical weapon properties, I wouldn't be too surprised if they found one of those. People have also mentioned their players finding things on the DnD wiki, which has tons of unmarked homebrew but being a "wiki" sounds like a reliable source.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

23. - Top - End - #23

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    There are lots of 3rd party books that add cheap non-magical weapon properties, I wouldn't be too surprised if they found one of those. People have also mentioned their players finding things on the DnD wiki, which has tons of unmarked homebrew but being a "wiki" sounds like a reliable source.
    The two best non-magical “enchantments” I know of are laminated steel and serrated, from Mercenaries Handbook… one improves the threat range and dam by 1, the other increases threat multiplier by 1. Both however costs a lot more than ~ 250gp!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Well had the next session and got to talk to the player about it. That player directed me to the pathfinder player I mentioned already. According to them, they told the player it was 2235, not 235. When I pointed out that for a weapon to be keen, it has to be a +1 magic weapon already, so the price is actually that of a +2 weapon, they argued a bit about it. It apparently isn't a rule familiar with them and they thought you could have a keen rapier without the +1.

personally never seen that sort of rule before but to each their own. thought it might be a pf thing since I have nominal experience with it and all of what I do have is 5 years old at least. but guess not according to you guys.

First player didn't care if they had to wait for keen, just wanted to know if they could upgrade the +1 to +1 keen, or had to be a whole new sword. Was happy to hear the former.
    Second player seemed okay with it too after talking about it more.

So in the end it was a miscommunication that somehow dropped 2k off, and then a rule discrepancy that explained the rest of it.

Thanks for input everyone.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That's actually ringing a bell. Check out the Affordable Arcana series of books by pfsrd20 publishing. Fairly sure one of them came up with a cheap "magic weapon" enhancement that meant you could have magic weapons that didn't need that initial +1 before you could tack on weapon enhancements. Might be misremembering.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

26. - Top - End - #26

Amulet of mighty fists also lets you add weapon special abilities without an enhancement bonus.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Don't know anything of the sort, but then again, I find it impossible to keep track of or know every 3.5 splat book from cover to cover. Good for you if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by El Dorado View Post
    Amulet of mighty fists also lets you add weapon special abilities without an enhancement bonus.
    Maybe, but a rapier was not an unarmed strike or a natural weapon, last time I checked.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2022-01-15 at 03:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Maybe, but a rapier was not an unarmed strike or a natural weapon, last time I checked.
    Graft weapon allows you to stack natural weapon effects and anything that affects manufactured weapons. So if you had, say, a necklace of natural weapons that was keyed to your natural weapon rapier, you could affect it whenever you manifested graft weapon onto it.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-01-14 at 02:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Graft weapon allows you to stack natural weapon effects and anything that affects manufactured weapons. So if you had, say, a necklace of natural weapons that was keyed to your natural weapon rapier, you could affect it whenever you manifested graft weapon onto it.
    Interesting, I didn't know that.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #30

SwashbucklerGuy

Well When I pointed out that for a weapon to be keen, it has to be a +1 magic weapon already, so the price is actually that of a +2 weapon, they argued a bit about it. It apparently isn't a rule familiar with them and they thought you could have a keen rapier without the +1.

personally never seen that sort of rule before but to each their own.
    That's a somewhat common houserule, I sometimes apply it myself, but a houserule nonetheless. Its intended to give access to the 'does cool stuff' part of magic weapons and armor without getting the marginal attack and damage bonuses, in order to lower the costs and make such things more accessible at lower levels.

But yeah, its a houserule that requires a substantially different reading of the rules and results in a noticeable change in gameplay, and thus would need to be something the DM decided to institute and then told the players about, which didn't happen since you're the DM and would therefore be the first to know about it.
    Last edited by Milodiah; 2022-01-14 at 03:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Do not try a linear campaign, without some discussion with them. Players very often look at your hooks and then try to accomplish it in a different way, not touch it, try to do the complete opposite, or somehow set it on fire.