New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keen rapier

1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Keen rapier

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarter11 View Post
    Well had the next session and got to talk to the player about it. That player directed me to the pathfinder player I mentioned already. According to them, they told the player it was 2235, not 235. When I pointed out that for a weapon to be keen, it has to be a +1 magic weapon already, so the price is actually that of a +2 weapon, they argued a bit about it. It apparently isn't a rule familiar with them and they thought you could have a keen rapier without the +1.

personally never seen that sort of rule before but to each their own. thought it might be a pf thing since I have nominal experience with it and all of what I do have is 5 years old at least. but guess not according to you guys.

First player didn't care if they had to wait for keen, just wanted to know if they could upgrade the +1 to +1 keen, or had to be a whole new sword. Was happy to hear the former.
    Second player seemed okay with it too after talking about it more.

So in the end it was a miscommunication that somehow dropped 2k off, and then a rule discrepancy that explained the rest of it.

Thanks for input everyone.
    Scanning through I was wondering if it was going to end up some special material that ends up being fairly cheap but giving you the same net effect.

I'll echo the other reply, in that the groups I've played with have all allowed for enhancements without the prerequisite +1 (though you still have to have masterwork). I never knew it was a house rule thing until much later.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    That's a somewhat common houserule, I sometimes apply it myself, but a houserule nonetheless. Its intended to give access to the 'does cool stuff' part of magic weapons and armor without getting the marginal attack and damage bonuses, in order to lower the costs and make such things more accessible at lower levels.

But yeah, its a houserule that requires a substantially different reading of the rules and results in a noticeable change in gameplay, and thus would need to be something the DM decided to institute and then told the players about, which didn't happen since you're the DM and would therefore be the first to know about it.
    With an extensive experience of 5e (and 3.5/PF1e for that matter), I have to say that I wouldn't mind ditching the entirety of permanent armor and weapon enhancement bonuses altogether, and let people apply the more interesting special abilities straight away with only the masterwork requirement. I might increase the cost for masterwork a bit (by maybe adding a zero at the end), but that's about it. It would make relying on friendly spellcaster's aid more relevant, but I think it would be alright. (Besides, I think that the PF1e's take on letting certain permanent weapon enhancement bonuses bypass certain material DR's is beyond stupid)

That being said, I'd make it very clear that this is a houserule, and not rules as written. And make sure everyone is aware of this.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2022-01-15 at 03:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aglondier View Post
    That's actually ringing a bell. Check out the Affordable Arcana series of books by pfsrd20 publishing. Fairly sure one of them came up with a cheap "magic weapon" enhancement that meant you could have magic weapons that didn't need that initial +1 before you could tack on weapon enhancements. Might be misremembering.
    Yep, my mistake. It was Loot 4 Less: Armour and Weapons. It adds rules for magic armour and weapons that don't need to be masterwork or have a base +1 enchantment before adding the interesting stuff. Do a google search, the pdf is pretty easy to find.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list