New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease 2 IC

Bart shoots the animal he previously hit, knocking it out once and for all.
    Sean kills another animal with a shot to the vitals.
    Only one rat-dog thing left running away.

Neither Sean or Richard can see the riverboat too much. It is very much far away. The steam from its chimney rises high into the air. It is moving at a minimal pace, perhaps 1 or 2 yards a second. It's too hard to make out much more detail than that.

It is now about over ten minutes away (600 yards?) from the power plant.

(OC: if you want a Range penalty, consider it -15, extreme range. Note that the riverboat itself is SM +10.)
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

That was quite a large boat. Sean highly suspected we could still take it out, but was not yet sure if we wanted to. He decided to spend a minute or two on observations, telling everything of note on the radio. Of particular interest:
    1. Any signs of whom this boat belongs to? People onboard, mutant air support, flags, whatever...
    2. What is the type of the boat and relevant details about it? A TL7/8 cargo vessel? Passenger vessel? A steambot from a museum? Some sort of conversion?
    3. Any warlike modifications to it? Armor plating? Gun mounts?
    4. Where it seems to be heading? Assuming Sean got to the river wherever it was closest to his original position, the actual pier might be some distance away. Or the boat might head to the far side of the river or something, or be turning right now, for example...
    5. What is the terrain at the pier? How much distance those disembarking will have between the boat and the cover? Can we navigate safely hidden somewhere about there, e.g. to plant some radio mines?
    6. How wide is the river here? What is the condition of the dam? Is the water up to power plant operation levels or ways down or what? Can the dam be safely crossed out of view of the boat?
    7. Not an observation, but just a note: how long it would take us to fold down the nets, start the cars and get lost?
    8. Any effect from the rain on these long-distance observations? Expected effect from the rain on long-distance shooting?

Spoiler
    Show
    The boat should be ~500 yards away when Sean is done with the first pass of observations. I'm not sure how many rolls would be needed. Sean is in no hurry, so could repeat with more time on any topic(s) he's not immediately sure about. Skill is 15 with an extra +3 to offset range penalties, so the boat itself would be observed at an effective skill of 13 before extra time. Even better about the pier, river and such. People and guns might be problematic if they are not in plain view (an x8 scope means those in plain view should be observed just fine). All of the above is before rain modifiers, whatever they are.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    That was quite a large boat. Sean highly suspected we could still take it out, but was not yet sure if we wanted to. He decided to spend a minute or two on observations, telling everything of note on the radio. Of particular interest:
    1. Any signs of whom this boat belongs to? People onboard, mutant air support, flags, whatever...
    2. What is the type of the boat and relevant details about it? A TL7/8 cargo vessel? Passenger vessel? A steambot from a museum? Some sort of conversion?
    3. Any warlike modifications to it? Armor plating? Gun mounts?
    4. Where it seems to be heading? Assuming Sean got to the river wherever it was closest to his original position, the actual pier might be some distance away. Or the boat might head to the far side of the river or something, or be turning right now, for example...
    5. What is the terrain at the pier? How much distance those disembarking will have between the boat and the cover? Can we navigate safely hidden somewhere about there, e.g. to plant some radio mines?
    6. How wide is the river here? What is the condition of the dam? Is the water up to power plant operation levels or ways down or what? Can the dam be safely crossed out of view of the boat?
    7. Not an observation, but just a note: how long it would take us to fold down the nets, start the cars and get lost?
    8. Any effect from the rain on these long-distance observations? Expected effect from the rain on long-distance shooting?

Spoiler
    Show
    The boat should be ~500 yards away when Sean is done with the first pass of observations. I'm not sure how many rolls would be needed. Sean is in no hurry, so could repeat with more time on any topic(s) he's not immediately sure about. Skill is 15 with an extra +3 to offset range penalties, so the boat itself would be observed at an effective skill of 13 before extra time. Even better about the pier, river and such. People and guns might be problematic if they are not in plain view (an x8 scope means those in plain view should be observed just fine). All of the above is before rain modifiers, whatever they are.
    From his viewpoint and through his scope, Sean sees only a few people patrolling the open decks of the riverboat, all of them clad in black that covers the entirety of their bodies. The riverboat has multiple barricades set up on the decks and metal panels on the sides, seemingly as armor.

The riverboat flies no flag. If it has guns mounted, Sean does not see them. If the people on board have guns, they do not have them ready.

The boat looks older than any nautical vehicle Sean has ever seen. It is Old World tech, of course, but not in the advanced whiz-bang connotation of that term as usual. Steam engines were outdated for the pre-virus civilization.

The riverboat is definitely heading towards the power plant. There is a wharf by the river, 20 yards next to the building. The wharf is minimal, merely four wooden boardwalks and hitching posts. From there to the building is open ground, no cover.

The river is very wide, 50 yards from one end to another. Sean can not see the dam, it is probably much further upriver, maybe two or three miles away. The water is high right now, lots of it and flowing rapidly.

Getting the nets down and starting the cars would take about 2 minutes, if done smoothly.

The rain is not yet heavy enough to obscure vision significantly. It certainly makes the vista more miserable, and the river look more menacing, but it's clear enough for shooting. Hopefully, it does not pick up today.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Having described what he sees, Sean then turns to actual options. It seemed the teem could do quite a lot of things, which Seans tries to summarize as follows. This is audible only to Richard, who is expected to consult with the rest of the team.

"So, first of all, we can just pack and leave. This would abort the whole mission and I don't see enough of a reason to do it, but we certainly can. Second, we can shoot at them from some distance and either sink them or make them turn. Might be the safest, short term, but not my preference. Third, we can get them here at the wharf. Will be much more risky, but will do them for good, one way of another. Might also get us the boat. We also can try to parley before that, if you, Richard, feel lucky. I would suggest Tariq to place the whole load of our TNT with an attached remote detonator into a small backpack we have in the trunk, then put that on the warf near some mooring gear, then get a safe distance away, where I will wait him. We will discuss the rest while he does that, but I will want the safe distance to be announced up front. Richard meanwhile could take a spot behind a corner of the building and Bart will take the camouflage net and bring it here where I set camp."

Sean hopes the lone backpack would not look too scary, thus not preventing the mooring, and will give Richard an option to parley with the sailors from a position of strength. If the general plan is agreed upon, we can discuss our position for negotiations while we carry it out. To summarize:
    1. Tariq is to place 25 pounds of radio-controlled TNT on the wharf near the mooring gear / landing gear.
    2. Tariq is to announce a safe distance. By my calculation, the explosion will deal 6d6x10 damage, averaging 210 cr ex damage at the spot, falling fast. 20 yards away, at the building, it will deal an average of 3.5, likely safe enough with armor and protected vision/hearing that Richard now has. Bart and Tariq (and, thus, Sean) should be a bit further away (and in a different direction). Let's say, 40 yards along the river, for an average of 1.75 (rounded down).
    3. Sean will set up a hiding place woughly where told, trying to get both some cover and some concealment (trees/bushes), while sill able to see and target the ship and the way to the building.
    4. Richard is to wave at the arrivals and start negotiations by shouting when the ship is at the wharf. The details TBD.
    5. Just a note: shooting the bag with TNT will do nothing much. It is not dynamite.
    6. 210 damage does not seem like that much for a ship-sized target, but if it gets to the boiler, the inhabitants might get all sorts of additional damage.

Sean is open to other suggestions.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-04-17 at 07:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Richard relays Sean's summary to the others, before considering the situation himself. "Yeah, I want to talk to them. We don't have confirmation of who they are yet, and I'm not firing at a potentially neutral party, particularly since if they aren't mutants or raiders they might prove a useful ally - I haven't seen or heard of anyone else in these parts with a boat like that. So let's go with your wharf plan. Still, if it does come to blows lets see if we can handle the situation without using the explosives. An intact riverboat is worth taking some risks to get hold of, I think."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Richard relays Sean's summary to the others, before considering the situation himself. "Yeah, I want to talk to them. We don't have confirmation of who they are yet, and I'm not firing at a potentially neutral party, particularly since if they aren't mutants or raiders they might prove a useful ally - I haven't seen or heard of anyone else in these parts with a boat like that. So let's go with your wharf plan. Still, if it does come to blows lets see if we can handle the situation without using the explosives. An intact riverboat is worth taking some risks to get hold of, I think."
    Tariq considers the plan, "If you think the backpack might scare them off, I could rope it in UNDER the wharf, out of sight. And, if we decide the ship needs to get taken out, my HEDP grenades should help with that."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean looks at the warf to see if Tariq's change of the plan is compatible with its particular construction and comments on that, possibly giving Tariq a go on the whole affair.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Sean looks at the warf to see if Tariq's change of the plan is compatible with its particular construction and comments on that, possibly giving Tariq a go on the whole affair.
    (OC: Do you have the Architecture skill, Sean? Does anyone else? I'm certain Tariq does. Please note the riverboat travels approximately 90 yards towards your position every minute.)

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Tariq loads the TNT into the backpack and takes it onto the wharf. Once it's set to blow on compound, he'll attach it to one of the posts supporting the wharf, near where the ship would presumably dock, using rope and duct tape, and try to conceal it. It takes 3 and half minutes.

He feels uncomfortable, as the rain chills him even as the work makes him sweaty and hot under the collar.

When the bomb is in place, Tariq backs off. Just in time, too, as the riverboat is only 25 yards away from the wharf by the time he bugs out. It as slowed down upon approach.

Nobody can be seen on the boat. The people who had patrolled the deck went inside 2 minutes ago.
    The passenger riverboat is driven by a single big stern wheel and steam coming out of multiple tall smoke stacks from high-pressure boilers. The riverboat has three decks with staircases (plus a pilot house on top of the highest deck) connecting them. Lights, winches, whistles and ropes can be seen left out on the lowest deck.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    Tariq loads the TNT into the backpack and takes it onto the wharf. Once it's set to blow on compound, he'll attach it to one of the posts supporting the wharf, near where the ship would presumably dock, using rope and duct tape, and try to conceal it. It takes 3 and half minutes.

He feels uncomfortable, as the rain chills him even as the work makes him sweaty and hot under the collar.

When the bomb is in place, Tariq backs off. Just in time, too, as the riverboat is only 25 yards away from the wharf by the time he bugs out. It as slowed down upon approach.

Nobody can be seen on the boat. The people who had patrolled the deck went inside 2 minutes ago.
    The passenger riverboat is driven by a single big stern wheel and steam coming out of multiple tall smoke stacks from high-pressure boilers. The riverboat has three decks with staircases (plus a pilot house on top of the highest deck) connecting them. Lights, winches, whistles and ropes can be seen left out on the lowest deck.
    With the riverboat so close, Tariq is going to quickly try to make up some distance, hugging what cover he can. (OOC: under the circumstances, the very slow movement that goes along with Stealth seems unwise, so he'll just do Move actions trying to keep what terrain he can between him and the ship).

11. - Top - End - #221

As the others get into position and prepare, Richard steps out from the corner of the building, in sight of the boat and raising a hand in greeting to the boaters. He still has his rifle with him, but as a sign of goodwill he doesn't hold it ready to fire. Hopefully they were the type willing to at least try talking.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean mostly covers the boat and the bomb, making sure that nobody does anything fancy, like stealthily disembarking, including under the water, disabling the bomb, aiming at Tariq and Richard, etc. The net has been already set up, covering Bart, Sean and dogs, but Tariq took his time almost to the limit, so Sean does not expect the man here in the hiding. Maybe he will side with Richard or take some other spot.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

The riverboat comes over to the wharf and starts to dock. The people in black scramble out of the cabins and the deck, getting ready to disembark.

One of the dockers spots Richard and alerts the rest of his crew. The sailors seem disturbed and wary. They particularly do not like the sights of a messy fight, what with the blackened ground from the bomb blasts and gruesome offal scattered around. They do not attack or flee at the sight of Richard, they talk amongst themselves and do not call out to him...

Richard then notices another mutated bear wandering closer, out of the wilderness behind him. It sniffs the air with deep curiosity and eyes him with heavy stoicism. Perhaps the dead bodies are giving off enough of a meaty stink to attract the beast?

(OC: the bear is 15 yards away from Richard.)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

"Bart, you watch the men and the bomb. Richard, please disregard the bear, I have you covered." Sean aims at the bear's heart through the scope, but does not shoot right away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting with an aimed shot. Will shoot before the bear is in melee range of Richard.

15. - Top - End - #225

Richard murmurs back a quick "Got it." to Sean over the radio before getting back to his part of things - the boaters. They were wary but not hostile, which was a good start, and Richard was confident that if he got talking to them he could make something happen here. He starts walking towards the boat, arms outstretched to show that he's not about to start shooting, but doesn't call out - Sean may have the bear in his sights, but that doesn't mean Richard wants to get more of its attention on him than he can help.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean can see the bear starting to eat the gore of the dead mutants and animals.
    Richard sees the sailors are caught between keeping an eye on him and doing their work. They call out for someone, probably a superior, to come over to them.
    Bart tries to keep his dogs under control. The two canines seem to want to sniff around the trees.

(OC: Tariq, what are you doing?)

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    (OC: Tariq, what are you doing?)
    Tariq is likely still seeking to get into cover and out of the notice of those on the ship.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Both the riverboat crew and the bear seem to have their attention squarely held by Richard or food respectively. Neither notice Tariq as he slips away. Sean's camouflage suits him fine.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq will continue moving away until he's reached what he judges to be a safe distance should there be need to use the explosives.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard picks up on the sailors' distrust of him, fearing him like some sort of rabid animal. They all keep their guns close to their hands.

And speaking of their guns, they're all carrying SAA revolvers, all of them loaded and in okay condition. Judging by some of the scratch marks, they were bought in bulk by a dedicated arms dealer, who smuggled them in a crate. They were not just picked up from dead people or cobbled together with junk - an actual craftsman with a complete workshop made those weapons.

In 2 minutes' time, another humanoid in black arrives at the dock, led by a sailor and coming from below deck. This one is obviously a lieutenant of some sort, as he seems to hold authority over the sailors. He certainly has a better quality garment covering his body. A lit cigar turns in his mouth, smooth smoke wafting from the burning end as he surveys Richard.

With an suspicious eye, the newcomer steps off the boat and approaches Richard. He makes no secret of expecting a trap...or a fight. The lieutenant takes out his cigar to coolly blow out a gray cloud as he walks toward the exile. He's ready.

21. - Top - End - #231

The quality of the guns isn't too much of a surprise to Richard - they have a working boat of that size and sophistication, and them having one or both of pretty high-quality facilities or good trading connections follows naturally on from that. Although...fear? Sure, they might be distrustful, but why would they fear him like that? Unless...maybe. While waiting for the representative to show up, Richard whispers his theory into his helmet's mic. "I think they might be Sinful Nature."

He doesn't let his suspicions change his reaction to the lieutenant turning up, though. They'd been able to deal fairly with a group of mutants before, and he might not even be correct about his theory. Nodding in recognition of the man, Richard starts talking. "Hello! I'm Richard. Nice boat - I haven't seen anything like that before. Are you traders or something like that?"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

The lieutenant rolls his eyes at Richard's compliment.
    "We are not traders. We are protectors of America, avenging the treason of the dark overlord Malice. The overlord you serve, the mutiny of the Shelters you carried out on the orders of that evil woman."

The stern stranger in black leans closer, talking deliberately, "Richard. Why have you chosen to serve the overlord? Do you not know of her evil? Why did you betray America?"

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Since the bear seems pretty much occupied and the negotiations have started, Sean takes the liberty to have a look at the negitiators. He does not quite like the close approach, so... "Bart, watch the bomb and the bear, them both. I'll have to take care of this one guy..." Sean switches to watch this new target, ready to pull the trigger to shoot at the guy's heart whenever he does anything funny.

Spoiler
    Show
    Richard also hears that. Bart will not be able to shoot right away, but the bear seems occupied at the moment, so the instant reaction will hopefully be unnecessary.

24. - Top - End - #234

Richard pauses for a moment in surprise when the man talks, blinking before laughing. "You think we work for Mailer? Hah, that's a good one. My friend - and if you're being honest about your aliegances, you are my friend - we personally pissed her off a few months back and ever since we've been on the top of the raiders' to-kill list and doing quite a lot to kill them back. I think we've been doing a pretty good job - after all, their recent withdrawal south is because we, and the settlements we've been helping, have been doing enough damage that they've needed to." He pauses again, thinking. Proof...he did have the intel they'd accumulated so far, that showed he was telling the truth about their enmity with the raiders and the withdrawal, along with an apparent enemy of the raiders information to use against them, but...it sounded like this group took the rogue Shelter angle very serously, and it might be the case that if they found out the exiles were originally from 44, Mailer's personal Shelter...it might not end well. Richard takes a breath. He had to risk it, and if it went badly he had the team backing him up. Okay.

"I think, in the interest of showing that we're on the same side, I should tell you the exact situation. We're originally from Shelter 44, you see - the one that Mailer, the evil woman you talk about, is Overseer for. The people in there have no idea about the situation out here, the deals she's made or that the betrayal happened at all, but every so often when people in there do something that angers her enough - for instance, I supported a group trying to politically oppose her influence and change the way things were run in there - she exiles them. We didn't know it at the time, but she also then gets into contact with her raiders and gives them orders to kill the exiles. A little sadistic game of hers, I suppose. We managed to survive, though, and since then have been fighting the raiders, helping the settlements they've been targeting around here, both as a matter of survival and morality. We've accumulated a lot of intelligence over this time, through attacking their bases and interrogating their people, and part of it should prove my story - we have the dossiers they passed out on us, straight from our Shelter records, and the related orders, for instance. Perhaps, if you accept this, we can share information against a common foe?"

Spoiler
    Show

Going to try a Diplomacy roll to get a better reaction from this guy, if allowed.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2022-04-25 at 07:32 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

The man looks quite convinced by Richard.
    "Alright, let's say I believe you. Is why you came here? To talk to us?"

The man looks back at his crew and the boat.
    "We suspected something was seriously wrong with the Shelters. We figured the overlord had total control over the people within..." He says absent-mindedly to no-one in particular.

He looks again at what information Richard is offering. "I'll have to pass this all up the chain..."
    He signals to a sailor who was watching him and Richard. The sailor goes to the riverboat and heads below deck.

26. - Top - End - #236

Richard shakes his head. "Until now, I had no idea you existed. Hell, I didn't know anyone outside of their organisation knew Mailer was involved. No, we're just here because we've been generally helping out the settlements around here when not fighting the raiders, and a group wanted to restore this plant to functionality so we went out to make sure it was safe for them. Is this place yours, then?"

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

The man in black shakes his head.
    "No. We do not own this place, it belongs to America, we merely use this building as a landmark and shelter from the elements. Are your people aligned with America or the overlord Malice?"

The bear behind Richard moves over to another pile of corpse meat. It greedily gorges on the dead, making disturbingly juicy sounds as it chomps, chews and swallows.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If Tariq is, presumably, now at a safe distance, he'll ready his grenade launcher in case the people on the ship become hostile.

29. - Top - End - #239

"We're not allied with her, no. Hell, the reason I'm out here is because I joined a group in the Shelter that was opposed to her. As for America..." Richard pauses, putting the thought into his next words he felt the topic deserved. "Before going into the shelter, my ancestors were among the lawmen of the old world. They upheld order in the old world in the name of America, and were a force for justice. My family has always held onto that principle, which is why many of us joined the security forces of the Shelter, unaware of what Mailer was really up to but wanting to honour that legacy." Richard reaches into an inside pocket and pulls something out - an old badge, the name of one of the organisations of the old world barely legible on it, and looks at it when he continues. "It's why I did the same and joined up, and why I tried to change things when I saw the unjust ways Mailer had led my fellow officers to act. It's why out here I've been doing whatever I can to restore order and help the people we come across to rebuild and live in safety." He looks back up at the man. "So yes, I suppose you could say I'm aligned to America, loyal to its values."

Spoiler
    Show

Neat, a chance to play up some of Richard's quirks that haven't come up much (namely "Carries a family heirloom" and "Idealistic about the old world").

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

The man in black looks at it and nods.
    "You carry a heavy burden and a worthy heritage then. So do we. We are dedicated to fighting the overlord Malice and her betrayal of America."

Then the man in black looks over the area.
    "That bear is dangerous. We should either kill it, or leave the area. What say you?"