New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Pastoral Life [IC]

OOC Thread

It's early spring. Flowers are blooming, birds are singing, and life is going well. Winter was a bit harsh-but Feypass had stocks of food, and no one died due to the bad weather.

Naoki has made it known that he'd like a bit of a celebration-people are weary from the cold season, and it'd do well to put a little pep in everyone's step.

What are you doing, after you awaken?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-03-11 at 08:18 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Pastoral Life [IC]

The water in the streams is still chilly, but river-mussels are lovely when steamed, especially the ones from a particular thicket-lined creek that Ashkey knows well, one that the Larger Folk have never thought to look for.

So, after waking with the dawn, Keys will make his quiet way through the forest, along fox-traces and great fallen trunks to one of his best fishing-rafts. He’ll paddle quietly upstream for a while until he finds a nice sandy stretch, just a few inches beneath the flowing water, where he knows there’s a good mussel patch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The broom whisks as Miyuki sweeps the floor of her shrine. Her ears sag as she looks sadly at the tree she had tried to transplant form her grove. One day she may know enough to successfully grow one of the cherry trees.

But that is not this year.

Ah well. Plenty of years to come.

She wonders how long it would be until Kashia came in for some solitude for her studies.

Whisk goes the broom.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Palanan, roll me a Survival check, with advantage for knowing the area well to see how good your haul is.

Ashkey starts the hunt for the delicious seafood, taking his time as needed.

It's not long. The sun is cresting the horizon when Kashia practically hurls herself into the shrine's grounds. "Blech!" she lets out. "Sometimes people just royally tick me off, you know? But, uh, good morning, Miss Miyuki! Did you get the cerry blossoms working?"

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

In using relatively swift meditation as a substitute for sleep, elves residing in Feypass soon get used to the idea of being the last ones to bed and the first to rise. By the time the chickens are waking up their masters, Miss Kaytu has already performed her morning prayers, dry-brushed her long hair and made some tea for breakfast.

She's trying some of Ispa's new blend today. She takes her first sip as she sits outside the temple, watching the sun rise.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival:
    (1d20+5)[18]
    (1d20+5)[12]

7. - Top - End - #7

It takes a good half an hour to collect the food, but Ashkey manages to snag enough mussels to improve everyone's meals for a day or so.

Kaytu spends a good ten minutes simply watching the shifting colors of the rising sun. Around when she decides that the sun's colors have settled enough for the day, Mrs. Carpenter comes over, supporting her husband, who's limping something fierce. "My idiot husband," Charity says, her voice full of concern with just a tint of anger, "thought it'd be a good idea to try his hand at renovating the old shack alone. He took out a load-bearing wall, and-"

"I can still talk, sweetie," Jonathan says. "And yeah... I was a fool. I took out a load-bearing wall, and half of it collapsed on me. I could really use some healing to help kickstart the process."

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Miyuki sighs again as she contemplates her tree.

Sadly, no. I have not figured out why it will not grow outside the forest. Perhaps in time I will.

She replaces her broom in its place in the corner, then turns to Kashia.

Now what is this about people troubling you?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #9

"It's just... You know, my dad, being... I don't know. Overprotective? Is that the best word?" she says. She's complained about this to you before-her mother, some four or five years ago, passed due to some magical incident. Since then, her father has taken a hefty dislike to the arcane, and has tried his best to push her away from it. "I don't know what he thinks he's gonna accomplish by telling me no."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Ellie wakes up late, due to an all-night bender on spell research (again). She moans and licks her dry lips. Then she snaps her fingers and an ethereal hand brings her hat from the hook over the bed. Ellie slowly stumbles out of bed and checks the mirror. Her hair is a mess; epic bedhead.

"Yeah, looking good there, El," she tells herself.

She waves her hands, magically cleaning the stains off her clothes, freshing her skin, and combing her hair. Mostly combing. " Acceptable for the normies."

Ellie makes some tea and toast for breakfast, then steps into her porch to eat and plan out her day. She probably should go check her supplies; pantry is a little low. Maybe there's work to do as well? She hasn't done much lately and so Ellie is down to her last ten silver pieces now. Hmm.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

With a small sack full of mussels—so fresh they’re still spouting—Keys lays his rough paddle beside him on the raft, and allows the creek’s modest current to slowly waft him downstream again.

While part of him is alert to small motions in the thickets on either side, another part of him is allowing the river’s motion to bring him into the greater current of Eldath’s sacred will, such that he moves both upon Her holy water and within Her holy design, a quiet soul in one tiny corner of the great lattice of water forever threading throughout the world.

12. - Top - End - #12

Naoki is the first one to spot Ellie on her porch. "Good morning, Ellie!" he says with a happy wave. "Have you given any thoughts to what I asked before?"

The trip back is calm for Keys. The current takes you gently, and you barely need to paddle. Almost too soon, you have to moor, ending your relaxing little trip. No one's right there at the short pier, but you should find someplace to keep the mussels fresh.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    "It's just... You know, my dad, being... I don't know. Overprotective? Is that the best word?" she says. She's complained about this to you before-her mother, some four or five years ago, passed due to some magical incident. Since then, her father has taken a hefty dislike to the arcane, and has tried his best to push her away from it. "I don't know what he thinks he's gonna accomplish by telling me no."
    My guess would be that he just wants what is best for you. After all, many who study their entire lives and accomplish incredible feats with their gifts may still meet their end meddling with what they do not comprehend. Look at me, for example. I have the talent. I could pursue it, should I wish. But I content myself with what I have.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

14. - Top - End - #14

"Okay, but what if something happens that I could help with, had I practiced magic?" she replies. "It might be dangerous to meddle, but it seems more dangerous to live in ignorance."

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaytu hastily sets down her tea, likely spilling it on the ground. She can't say she was trying too hard to avoid that. A few people highly recommended it, but Ispa's tea still tastes like charcoal to her.

"Not another word," she says as she run up to meet the Carpenters and take a look at Jon's injured leg. She has no reason to doubt their story, and if the danger has passed, she has time to assess what she's dealing with.

It's probably not even that bad. Like most children, humans only get scared of injuries like this because of how few times they've experienced them before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Medicine: (1d20+5)[23]

Assuming it's simple damage and we're not in a weird situation where healing will lock a broken bone in the wrong place or something, she can also put in a healing word: (1d4+3)[6]

She sighs, relieved, and closes her eyes for a quick prayer. "Thankfully, the gods continue to bless us with natural resilience and fortitude." She holds her hand over Jon's swollen and bruised joints, and whispers the word homeostasis to cast the spell. The injuries feel hot for a few seconds as his body's healing work suddenly accelerates to near-completion. She opens her eyes and stands up. "You will be fine. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but be careful from now on, alright? You could lose your entire leg next time."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Okay, but what if something happens that I could help with, had I practiced magic?" she replies. "It might be dangerous to meddle, but it seems more dangerous to live in ignorance."
    Miyuki tilts her head, causing her fox eyes to gleam mischeviously in the morning light.

And what could magic do, that hands alone could not? A fist clutches a weapon to fight as readily as a spell. A torch just as easily burns a home or a forest as well as a bolt of fire. Hands just as easily carry water to quench the flames magic cause. Would you say these are wrong?

And then, Miyuki is gone, replaced by a small fox, as white as Miyuki's hair with the same red patter below and between her eyes.

Or would you just wish yourself apart from others?

The fox leaps up onto shelves and peers down at the girl from atop them.

Or over them, perhaps?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17

Naoki is the first one to spot Ellie on her porch. "Good morning, Ellie!" he says with a happy wave. "Have you given any thoughts to what I asked before?"
    Ellie holds her tea on her lap, considering what Naoki asked earlier... what did Naoki ask? Oh fiddle-sticks! See, this is what all-nighters on magical research can do to your memory. You get so caught up on one thing that you forget something else.

"Morning. I am absolutely positive that I did," Ellie began, shaking her head no, "But my memory is a bit foggy this morning. I don't like mornings much."

She runs a finger through a curl in her long hair, looking a little sheepish. "
    Would you be a dear and remind me what it is you asked earlier?
    "
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2022-03-13 at 12:56 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #18

Kaytu's expert guidance lets her realize that the bone probably isn't broken, but it's a nasty sprain. He should avoid putting pressure on it as best he can, though the magic will help out considerably. Jonathan lets out a sigh of relief as the word of power washes over his leg. "Ah, that feels better. How long should I keep activity off it?" he asks.

"You're not walking on your own till she says you're able to!" Charity tells him. "Thank you, sweetie. We really appreciate this."

Jonathan nods, and offers "Would you like to come break your fast with us? It's been a while since you visited, and Daniel still remembers what you did last time, what with the story with all the special effects. I doubt he'd mind another one."

"I mean, fire's probably a bad example. You ever try carrying water with your bare hands?" Kashia says, chuckling a little bit. "And magic doesn't make you better than anyone else-it just lets you do other things. Mr. Carpenter doesn't need magic to build a house, for example. I just... You know, I have power. I want to be able to use it."

She sits down, and lets out a sigh. "I kinda get what you're saying. I do want to have something about me that sets me apart, and I guess that's a little selfish? But I want to be able to use it to help people. Is that bad?"

"Nothing too major!" he says, reassuring you. "I just thought a little celebration would help everyone get over the winter blues, and was wondering if you'd be able to help with festivities. I know you're usually busy, off in your own world, but I think it'd be nice for you to spend some time celebrating with everyone else. Maybe show off a few of your tricks."

Naoki smiles, and adds "It's okay if you don't want to."

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The fox hops down to the floor, and a moment later, Miyuki is standing in front of the girl again.

Power is dangerous without knowledge to guide it, and wisdom to know when not to use it.

She walks over to the shelf, and begins scanning the books there.

And yes. I have carried water with my bare hands. It’s called a bucket.

She pulls out a small book, bound with wood tied together by leather thongs.

Todays reading. A collection of meditations on seeking one’s inner self and the art of Zen.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #20

"You said hands, not bucket!" Kashia retorts, but does take the book and finds a good spot to sit and read.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

"Nothing too major!" he says, reassuring you. "I just thought a little celebration would help everyone get over the winter blues, and was wondering if you'd be able to help with festivities. I know you're usually busy, off in your own world, but I think it'd be nice for you to spend some time celebrating with everyone else. Maybe show off a few of your tricks."

Naoki smiles, and adds "It's okay if you don't want to."
    Ellie smiles as she takes a sip of tea. "Well, it has been a fairly cold season and it would be nice to stretch out the magical fingers, figuratively speaking," she says. A show of magic would be good advertising her services again and landing some work.

"Sure, I'll do it. What is a celebration without a little razzle dazzle? Just name the date and I will be there."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Since this is early spring, Goodman Lews’ cold-pit should still have plenty of ice, which would be a fine place to store the mussels; so Keys takes one of a thousand subtle shortcuts through thickets, brambles and overlooked woods towards the Lews family farm.

Keys will also keep an eye out for any of Pelt’s traps or snares. Eldath counsels against confrontation, but Keys quietly enjoys disabling Pelt’s killing devices, and will free and heal any surviving animals if he can.

23. - Top - End - #23

"We're getting it worked out, but aim for sometime later this week?" the elder says questioningly. "If you need any help, let me know."

Show
    Palanan, give me some kind of Wisdom check. Add proficiency if you feel it appropriate.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:
    (1d20+5)[17]

25. - Top - End - #25

Show
    (3d10)[10]

You find two of Pelt's traps, and carefully sabotage them. It's not much-but it's something.

None of them had been sprung yet, though.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-03-13 at 03:59 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

With an extra spring in his step—though moving much more quietly and carefully, now that he knows Pelt may be about—Keys continues on his way to the Lews farm.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kaytu gets a little wrapped up in her own head for a moment.

"I don't see why not," she says with a soft smile, "especially if your cooking is still as good as last time. Are you sure you're not worried that I'll tell an embarrassing story about you two instead?"

28. - Top - End - #28

Ellie mentally commits to the time. She stands and bows. "I shall bring a wonderous spectacle of magic to the festivities."

She finishes her tea and places it on her porch railing. "I shall begin preparations, but first, I will need to make the morning rounds. I don't suppose you know of anyone requiring my services?" Ellie asks.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #29

At the Lews farm, you see the early risers tending to the animals. The oldest Lews daughter is getting feed out to the chickens, and doesn't spot you at first. You call over, and she straightens and waves back. "Hello there! What brings you here this morning?"

Charity laughs. "I think we'll manage alright, no matter what the story is. And I think a certain husband of mine will need to do the cooking for a bit, since I'll be the one doing a lot of the work."

Jonathan nods, and says in agreement "That's fair. I'm not as good a chef as my lovely wife is, but I don't think you'll have too much to complain about."

It's not long at all before you arrive at the Carpenter home. The kids are all up, having heard the crash and boom of the collapsing shack, and they've all concern on their faces. "I'm fine. Kaytu helped me get it set and healing, though I'll be sitting a lot for the next week or so. Now, William, can you start the fire up? She is our guest for breakfast today."

There's some hustle and bustle of a family cooking. Daniel, little ten year old Daniel, sits next to you at the table while breakfast is prepared. "Dad's gonna be okay, right? He's telling the truth, Miss Kaytu?"

Naoki thinks a moment. "I don't believe so-though I heard some commotion at the Carpenter homestead. Perhaps head there, make sure everyone is okay?"

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

"Of course he is," Kaytu calmly says to the actual child. "He just needs to rest until it's better, so he doesn't undo its natural healing by mistake. You can make sure he doesn't have to walk until then, right?"

She meets Daniels eyes as she says this, as though she's counting on him to take on this great responsibility.