New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default ALPHA - IC - The Tone of Madness - Part 1

"Ho! There lads, bring 'er in gently we've come all this way with no damage, be a shame to scratch her now." The captain's call rang clear in the brisk evening air. The sun, no longer visible behind the bulk of the Island of Augury shown just enough light for the "Ashen Mist" to dock at the stone pier. As the various crewman climbed the rigging & swung down from the now bundled sails, the field of figures on the deck still as game pieces for nearly a half hour began to move.

Half a dozen or so figures who'd been clustered on the bow looking out towards the island suddenly sprinted back to the staircase that would take them below deck, their childlike stature belied their nature, each one was barefoot, as halflings tended to be aboard ship. As they disappeared below a chorus of howls suddenly emitted from deck of the ship, the wolves, they'd been caged at the captain's demand for the length of the trip despite their obvious intelligence & obedience.

Across the deck where the remaining two dozen or so figures stood clustered into 5 distinct groups, a man was walking between them giving orders. His dress of a blue robe with a distinct yellow sash across the chest, a purple cloak flowing from the shoulders and an orange turban on his head gave him a chromatic distinction from those around him. He turns pointing at a group of sailors as they were carrying the gangplank towards the side of the ship, he reaches down and retrieves a baton clipped to his belt, he makes a pair of waving motions with the baton, his speak pattern clearly changing to an incantation or verse.

Before your eyes 30 horses appear across the deck, each one fully tacked with a saddle, reins and saddlebags, the ship lurches with the sudden onset of weight tilting away from the stone pier mere feet from the hull. Oi you poxxing son of a whore! Yer gonna capsize my ship if you keep up that idiocy! The captains irritated yell seemed to go unnoticed as the colorful figure gestured again at the gangplank, which having just been secured provided a means of the near listing ship. He barked another command and the figures all hurried to mount the conjured horses.

Before any was ready a scrabbling came from below, with yips of excitement 8 massive wolves leapt forth from bowels of the ship, and made for the gangplank, upon the back of each wolf was a halfling wearing chain shirts, and carrying a war-lance, across the rider's backs were a strangely proportioned shield, a bow and quiver, while a saddle scabbard held a sword and a few throwing javelins. With a few whistles & grunts the troop of little folk & their lupine mounts leapt down the gang plank & took off down the pier.

Over the next minute a procession of riders followed until all but two of the 30 had departed the ship. The turbaned man walked across the deck now still after the departure of the horses & riders, he stopped by the captain, and after a very brief exchange opened a sack at his hip and pulled out a small chest & opened it. Even in the dying light the glint of gold was shown across the captains face, he reached out and took the box, closing it as he did so. He gave the cap solid nod, helped up 3 fingers and turned towards his cabin, the man returned to his horse and remaining companion, both mounted and without nearly as much zeal as the others traversed the gangplank & down the rocky pier.

A minute of so later, the captain having likely deposited his newly acquired chest in his cabin came to the stern castle and opened the door. They're all gone now, sorry to have kept ye in 'er, but I couldn't be risking a fight between you lot during the journey, an' especially when we're tryin' to dock on the stone pier. Couldn't risk my ship or crew in the cross fire of whatever could've been started.
    He paused, they aren't happy you lot are here, and I 'spect that some of them wouldn't lose much sleep over seeing you get gutted here.

Spoiler: Knowledge Rolls
    Show

Spoiler: Island of the Augury
    Show
    Island of the Augury - (1) An small cylindrical island in the vast expanse of the Hulkat Ocean the largest known continuous body of water. (2) The island is home to any diviner or fortune teller or predictor of the future, they will tell you the answer to any questions you have for a price. (3) The island is only accessible by ships during a 1 month period each year, due to lunar & thermotic, conditions, the waters recede from the cylindrical island to reveal a cavern that allows visitors to ascend from the sea up the sheer walls of the islands cliffs. (4) Transportation by magical means is blocked by the occupants of the island with most results arriving miles out to sea, while some meriting execution upon arrival. (5) 500gp will gain you entrance to the Island and allow you to ask 2 questions to the Oracles, however after this it is 500 gp for each 2 questions & one cannot ask more than two questions per day.

Spoiler: Wolf Runners
    Show
    Group 1 - (1) A group of halfling paladins known as the wolf runners, they are a semi nomadic order that roams the lands addressing problems & crisis. (2) Despite using beasts you've heard of no incidents of them falling victim to the tone. (3) They are well versed in various weapons as well as tactics & often fight creatures from wyverns to chimeras.

Spoiler: The Lodge
    Show
    Group 2 - (1) "The Lodge" - A guild of hunters that rarely kill or hunt anything but the most exotic or dangerous creature. (2) They have in recent years become apt Mage & Bounty Hunters as the challenge of capturing rogue or illicit mages appeals to their interest of a challenging hunt. (3) There are rumors they covertly work as assassins, but such talk to their face is ill-advised.

Spoiler: The Last Line
    Show
    Group 3 - (1) "The Last Line" - A mercenary company who became famous by accident when a band of giants attacked a town and were brought down by only a dozen men. (2) There is a rule among this guild that if you don't name a replacement prior to your death or have an apprentice, should you die the company will not replace him, so far the total members of the this company is down to 8 members. (3) They utilize team tactics and coordination to bring down foes rapidly and with minimal bloodshed.

Spoiler: The Copper Scales
    Show
    Group 4 - A group of mage-clerics from the church of the "Copper Scales" - the believe everyone man, woman & child should have the chance to balance the scales or his or her life, especially when outside factors influence them. (2) They will heal, restore and improve the lives of all they can without prior payment, only expecting it when negotiating for future aid. (3) They are hirable to many different factions.

Spoiler: The Scarlet Choir
    Show
    Group 5 -(1) Members of the scarlet choir - a group of marshals, bards and filled with various military leaders and others of renown. (2) They often accompany military endeavors to keep the troops focused on the goals and moving forward efficiently. (3) They are known for they're cavalry hats with red plumes.

Spoiler: Turban Wearer
    Show
    Turban Wearer - Mahir the Mountain - A sorcerer specializing in force magic who garnered a reputation for weigh laying armies by himself at times. He has defended his kingdom for 19 years, and is a champion swordsman as well as.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: ALPHA - IC - The Tone of Madness - Part 1

Yyrkoon

Yyrkoon had been watching the farm for a few days, stalking from the shadows of the mango trees, bidding his time. The young girl looked like the best option for a thrall; she was lightfooted and seemed healthy. But the older man's thoughts were much more interesting, and his mind had already drifted; nobody would care too much if he were to wander away and get lost in the jungle. So Yyrkoon waited until the old man was alone with the two famelic owsen that had survived the feral tone; one of them was not going to make it long; hordes of flies festered on the animal's wound and swirled around the man's head.

Yyrkoon sent a simple magic mental order that quickly broke the man's will, and soon he was walking towards the mango grove. Yyrkoon slithered down his hiding place in the shape of a tiny viper and got into the man's shoulders. "Friend," he hissed in the old man's ears, "take me to the village."

Just like that, for the past year, Yyrkoon had been living in the shape of a snake. After the old man collapsed and died, he had befriended at least three different "snake charmers." The last one, a lowly human ranger, Yyrkoon, pretended to be his large Viper animal companion. That's how he learned about the Ashen Mist and the expedition to Augury. And, more importantly, how he had come to understand that the righteous scale-less were not the only ones trying to make sense of the tone.

Onboard the Ashen Mist, he had met these misfits. The Anthropomorphic crocodile was a pleasant surprise. A great conversationist of high intelligence and vast knowledge, Yyrkoon had become fond of him. He mistrusted the bear and the dragon but understood their strategic value.

Thanks to a couple of "friendly" halflings, he had learned much about the expedition. He still mistrusted the captain. But he had kept his word, and there had been no trouble during the sea travel. Now, as the ship finally came to a stop and it docked, Yyrkoon observed from a vantage position the overenthusiastic wolf riders disembark. He had to be careful though, last time at port, an impertinent seagull had tried to attack him.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Morkhut slowly rises as he half-listens to the captain's little speech. He found being stashed away behind closed doors positively insulting; however, the company on board was unsavory enough indeed, or most of it anyway. He wouldn't trust some frail little mammal with a frail little mind to understand that this mission is of greater importance than succumbing to some heated impulses. These creatures don't even have the excuse of being real predators.
    These three, the dragon, the bearman and especially the eager half-blood he can live with, on the other hand, and work with, even. Their interests overlap with his – there's no need to watch for ulterior motives, or to engage in fruitless debate with ignorant know-it-alls who callously dismiss the facts of the matter. These three have the same benefit that he has (and they bear the same curse): they know the Tone is real.
    The voyage, therefore, could easily have been a lot more unpleasant than it ultimately turned out to be, even given the conditions that the captain has very good reasons to apologise for. I am a hard one to gut, captain. the towering crocodile rumbles addressing the man as he walks past him and out through the door. I can appreciate the consideration, never the less. As well as the discretion, of course.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-01-10 at 04:25 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Qutan acknowledges the captain’s apology, not having spent much time around people in many years he was not certain he should be insulted with the treatment. He let it go, there are more important things he needs to worry about.

Most of the journey he spent with his head out one of the round holes in the wall, not because he felt sick, as the captain had suggested, but because the closeness of the room was too much to bear. The journey was over, and as soon as the captain gave the word, Qutan had moved out to the outside of the room and stood on the ship’s floor itself. The breeze was cooling, and his head began to clear. Once he had gotten his senses back, Qutan looked over the edge of the ship at the wooden road beside it, odd, and to the village beyond that.

It was not like anything he had ever seen before of course, and the smell! Rotten fish, smoke, and several others he could not even guess at. It was overwhelming, but he pushed those thoughts from his mind as he watched the halflings leaving the road in the distance. Now that was something he understood and could deal with.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Ember watches the hunters disembark with a distinct air of wariness and forboding.

Why do I get the feeling they're going to be trouble? she thinks towards her companion Dakota, who sits primly alongside her.

You can admit you think you should have burned the boat to the waterline and let the sharks sort them out. I won't tell anyone Dakota replies, craning her head to look up at her adoptive older sister's face. Like Ember's parents before her, Dakota too had benefited too from the magical association with a dragon, the effect only becoming more pronounced as Ember's own abilities grew.

Ember purses her lips in a very human expression, a studied affectation. Unlike the others in the stern castle, Ember hadn't actually been confined, free to take the shape of a mouse or a squirrel, or a seabird and go about the ship as she pleased whenever she was felt a bout of cabin sickness coming on. She'd even masqueraded as the ship's cat, hunting successfully amongst the rats in the hold just to keep her paws in; memories of hunting in the forest in her younger days bringing feelings of satisfaction. Apart from her ventures out the trip had been pleasant enough. Morkhut was a solid and reassuring presence, soflty spoken and with an air of dependability. And for some reason she'd found it easy to get along with Qatan the Tauric. It was Yyrkoon she didn't fully trust, disapproving of the way he charmed others to do his bidding, although at least the manservant was well treated.

Maybe, but I suspect too many of them would have been able to swim, she replies jokingly. Besides, I like the ship's cook. A prolific ratter was indeed always a welcome presence in the galley.

"Well, we should probably get going," Ember says aloud after the others have thanked the captain. "I could fly us up to the clifftop, but I suspect we may annoy the locals that way. And I could do with an a opportunity to earn some gold along the way. I was in rather a hurry when I left Odonson and I don't think what I've brought is enough," she worries.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-01-11 at 07:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yyrkoon

As the wolfrunners disembarked, Yyrkoon abandoned his place on the crow's nest and descended to the deck through the main mast shrouds. Transformed in a yellow bellied sea snake, Yyrkoon made his way to where the other misfits were.
    As he approached, he used nis mind's eye to sense their presence.

He could "smell" them, the calm but secretly violent and blood-stained presence of the bearthental breathing powerfully and exhasperated for fresh air.

The almost ancestral primitive wisdom of Morkhut, steady and unstoppable like a flooding river.

And the young mind of the dragon-girl.

Yyrkoon had decided, against his natural inclinations, not to try and pierce their thoughts, he limited himself to sensing them and enjoyed the game of differentiating them assigning chromatic values to each of them.

Once with them Yyrkoon reverted to his natural shape: an attractive middle aged Yuan-ti with a glorious cobra hood.

He communicated mentally with Morkhut:

The wolfrunners and the Lodge may cause us problems. They are eager to show their worth against any "beast-blooded"

The mere concept beast-blooded irritated Yyrkoon. It negated the thousands of years of Yuan-Ti superior civilization and compared them with filthy wolves.

He answered Ember's suggestion with a nod.

Indeed, we must be on the move. We have to be cautious, even you and your fox, those rangers and mercenaries are out for blood.
    Captain, what would be the suggested route to the oracle?

Yyrkoon could be charming when he wanted, and his question to the captain was formulated with the most polite of tones.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+20)[28]

7. - Top - End - #7

Beast-blooded. Yyrkoon is right in holding that term in scorn. As if scales and claws or even fur would make the difference between the those civilized and those beastly!I expect that we'll be able to assess the true measure of their insolence with more exact precision soon enough. Morkhut replies to the yuan-ti through the link, his tone as even as ever. But then, the Island has the means and the willingness to tackle troublesome or unwelcome visitors. Let us hope for the best, friend.
    Leaning on his enormous axe as if it were some kind of grotesque cane, the crocodile presses on slowly but with a firm, confident determination towards the plank, not bothering to turn back even for as long as it would take to respond to Ember. I likewise agree. We must proceed – but wisely. I'd rather we followed the proper procedure and stayed landbound for the duration of our stay here. He stops just short of the plank, his myopic eyes fixed on the stone pier before addressing Ember's other concerns. Out of curiosity, how do you intend to procure those missing funds? This might easily be a sign of a troubling amount of irresponsibility. He should keep an eye on the dragon, just in case.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-01-12 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Â.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The captain stroked his beard, a few beads of sweat forming on his brow, though it is unclear if these are from stress or the chilling air from the dying sun. As far as I know, there's a clan of Aventi that live in the lower levels of the island, he pointed at the tunnel (a 15'x15' elliptical arch) at the end of the rocky pier. They're the ones who keep the adventurous sort from accessing the island during the rest of the year, they've had some aquatic beasts like Seacats & water spiders, but who knows if they still do with regards to the tone.

I've never heard of anyone having trouble with the Aventi during the time the water is this low, unless trouble was brought to them first. I know that there are a few routes to the upper levels of the island; one is a winding path full of switchbacks, falling rocks and slippery steps, the second is a waterspout that drains continuously into the main Aventi village, the Aventi use it to ascend to the upper levels quickly & safely, the third is a magical lift controlled by the Aventi nobility, they use it strategically for well paying clients.

He paused, before adding, ...You ... might be able to fly up from the outside, straight up from here, but I know that most folks don't do it.

Spoiler: Sense Motive Results
    Show
    He seems eager to give you answers, but unsure of how accurate his information is. He doesn't want you to believe he knows more, but he is slightly terrified of giving you incorrect or inaccurate information.

Overall he is one of the more accepting of the monstrous folks, despite being wary about them.

After answering Yyrkoon's question he looks for an opening in the conversation before trying to pull Ember aside, uh Miss....it may not be apart of my business but are you sure you want to be working with this lot? He glances nervously over his shoulder towards Morkhut, Yyrkoon & Qutan, then back at ember.
    I didn't see you much during the trip and figured you stay in your private cabin, I didn't mean for you to get stuck with such err...exotic types. I know your a bit ...odd yourself, he glances at the massive hammer, then the fox, I figure a druid or sorceress. If ye can handle yourself fine, I'll lay off, but I'd feel terrible to hear ya got eaten by any of this lot.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-01-12 at 10:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Dakota almost falls about herself laughing at the captain's assumption that Ember is a regular, if exceptional human. Wow, what do you even say to that? she comments privately, but Ember merely smiles.

"Not a bad guess," she tells the captain, impressed. "Probably a little of both. Really, I appreciate your concern but I'm pretty tough. They'd find me quite difficult to chew."

She pats him friendlily on the shoulder and returns to the others.

"I'm not sure," she responds to Morkhut's question about funds. "Why don't we go and find out?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The sailors were lighting the lanterns on the deck as you departed, the sulfuric odor of the alchemical matches quickly swept away by the breeze billowing around the island base, in concert with the waves. The stony pier, about as wide as the tunnel it led to, (15') is solid, if not slippery from the layer algae that covered it.

As you proceed into the tunnel the light dims, throwing shadows down it's length though it remains sufficient for you to make out smooth and tooled edges of the carved passage. After a few hundred feat the passage begins to curve to the right and rise, after a full revolution passage opens into a cavernous chamber. A pool located in the center fills most of the cavern, it appears to be clear with a few cloudy sections near the bottom, with the visible sections being a pebbled floor. On both left & right sides of the pool partially built into the wall are a set of gates, built of bone, coral and vines.

You can see a series of figures ahead, between you and the edge of the pool, they are humanoid in appearance, but with grey & bluish hued skin, as you approach closer, you can make out fins on their joints and gills at their necks, with webbing between their fingers and toes. Several of them are wielding crossbows, other have tridents, and a few have nets & daggers.

The tallest of these figures raises a trident and shouts to you. Halt! You must prove yourselves free of the corruption of the mind that wracks your kind' afore we allow you pass thru our domain.

You may prove yourselves in 3 ways. - You may open either gate that borders the pool, such a task is impossible for one of corrupted mind, you may swim freely thru the water that burns to reach the other side, for if you can survive we cannot stop you, or you may meet me in combat of might & mind and I shall declare you worthy!

He stops, a leering smile curling on his lips, Any who fail shall surrender their lives to mine kin for us to do as we'd will. So take heart and heed my word, retreat, begone or be my next kill.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yyrkoon

Yyrkoon liked Aventi slightly more than other races he'd encountered. At least they had a culture worthy of respect.

As he listened, he assessed his interlocutor, gauging his intentions and power. For often, barking was not equal to danger.

Spoiler: OoO
    Show
    Sense Motive (1D20+19)[28]

He soflty answered:

I am free of wilderness and unvoluntary violence. And I can prove it in any way you wish; is this an individual test? or can the four of us, a group as weird as it may seem, do the tests together? In any case, If I were to choose the last option. What kind of trial would that be. I'm curious, and highly competitive. But I also see that you surpass many in wit and authority.

Spoiler: OoO
    Show
    Diplomacy (1D20+20)[40]

12. - Top - End - #12

Emerging from behind Yyrkoon, Morkhut apporaches the pool, cautiously staying out of its guardians' reach, but other than that, not really bothering to heed the fish-human's threats or his predatory smile. He finds these almost amusing, as a matter of fact. If either of them is a beastly amalgam of creatures from two realms that were not meant to mix, it's the aventi, rather than himself. The only thing that would make this condescension even more jarring than it currently is would be to hear such remarks from a merfolk.
    At any rate, he is happy to let Yyrkoon's smooth silver tongue handle the talking; instead, he half-raises his free right hand, lazily drawing a symbol on the humid air of the cavern with a scaled finger and murmurs a short phrase. If this designated champion is ignorant enough to mistake it for cursing, well, so be it. As his eyes take on a faintly luminous bluish hue, he begins to meticulously inspect their surroundings, paying special attention on the pool, the gates and that inflated braggart with the trident – who knows, after all: the piercing gaze of a true arcanist may, perhaps, find some hidden depths to him.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Qutan steps forward, respectfully, and and inquires of the being. "I am curious concerning the challenge, is it to the death, or just to establish which of us is dominant?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Aventi looks at Qutan. it is to the the first to admit defeat. He tosses his trident from hand to hand, if you fall unconcious it's assumed you surrender, but if you die before that.... he shrugs his shoulders, as if to say, things happen.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"So long as you are ready to test yourself against me, I see no harm in it." Qutan regards the being as he might a recalcitrant hunter. eyeing him up and down while taking his measure.

"Yes, let's do this, how do we begin? I am ready if you are,"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The speaker walks to a 40' semi circle of stones slightly elevated above the rest of the pebbles surrounding the pool, the half circle extends from the edges of the pool.

"The rules are simple man-bear, she" he gestures to one of his companions, a female based on her clothing, though the physiological difference is minor, "will blow on the shell to begin, we both start inside this perimeter, this area on land & the pool are the arena."

We go until the other submits or is unable to continue. He shrugs then grinning adds, if that's because they're dead....." he lets his words taper off. If you're forced outside the pool or this ring, you lose. If you submit you lose, if you are unable to continue you lose.

He stops inside the perimeter, about 15' away from the edge of the pool.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Qutan follows his opponent into the combat area as laid out by the rules. “Dry land and water, if there were some ice, it would be like home.” He looks across the ground, and nods to the… must be an Aventi?

Then he looks at the one with the shell and nods to her as well. He was not sure what the protocol was, but this seemed fair.

The female Aventi raises the shell to her lips and blows a clear strong note. Qutan is surprised at this and nearly misses the start of the fight, but his reflexes are quick and he covers the 15’ to his opponent, “I should try and end the fight without killing this one, so I shall keep my temper and simply put all into this first blow and then see where it stands after that. I will look for the countering moves that Raven has taught me.”

Qutan takes care and using all his strength, he takes a swing. How odd it feels to do so without the overwhelming anger which usually drives his fighting. The blow lands true, and with the luck that sometimes accompanies combat, his opponent falls to the floor arms stretched out stiffly. He pulls in the second punch knowing the contest is over.

“How could it be over, the other spoke so confidently of the possibility of death.” The man-bear shrugs his shoulders and calls to his companions. “If the contest is over, could someone tend to him? I do not want him to die.”

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yyrkoon is deeply-amused by the bear-thing strenght. It would surely be a great minion if he ever needed one.

Looking at the other Aventi he lets go a

May I?

An motion towards the platform where the Aventi lies wounded and bleeding. He takes a wand from his quiver and touches the Aventi slightly, granting the creature the ability to heal it's own wounds.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    UMD DC 20 Using wand of lesser vigor (1d20+29)[46]

He then looks at the other aventi:

Were we savage critters like you asume us to be, your friend would be now pulp and gore upon the rocks, and we would have painted the room with your spills. Yet, wild and strange as you find us, so we find you and yet do not judge you as vermin to be erradicated or put to test. Let us go through, for we, for much more obvious reasons than you, are interested in unveiling what has been going on and what deprives us from our free will. Let us pass.

19. - Top - End - #19

Morkhut opted to remain largely motionless throughout the duel that proves satisfyingly short in the end. The valour of your Noble Champion is admirable. Few would have dared to test the might of our companion so readily. He carried himself honourably. he comments at last, bowing his head respectfully towards the still conscious aventi, the expression on his face unchanged, before turning to give Qutan a curt nod of approval. Well fought, Qutan, and, I must stress, good call on staying your hand. Judging by his ring and armament, the man is nobility, of the lesser sort, of course, but nobility still. The aventi hold honourable conduit in high regard and they will let us pass as promised; had you killed their champion, however, they might have ended up harbouring ill will towards us, and that is something we hardly need. he adds in a rasping but flawless Orc while Yyrkoon is busy attending to the fallen warrior.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Ember turns away from the pool to watch the contest. Though likely strongly acidic it wouldn't have been a challenge for her to ensure looking enough to swim or even fly the 500ft across, but she's not sure splitting the group would have been a good idea.

"Nice work," she congratulates Qutan as he fells the Aventi champion, but silently glad that she hadn't been the challenger. She'd overestimated the Aventi and her own attacks would not have been as restrained. Given Morkhut's words, she's pretty sure she would now be recieving a lecture. She waits patiently for the Aventi to regain consciousness of the attendants to show them the way forward.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The unconscious form twitches slightly as the magic ceases the small stream of blow from Qutan's blow, as it becomes clear he will recover, the shell blower steps forward raising the shell to her lips, she plays a burst of music notes, the gates on either side of the pool begin to raise in response. She turns to them all and approaches Qutan bowing quite low, Thank you for not killing my intended, she then turns to Yyrkoon, ...and thank your for tending to his injuries.

She retreats to her compatriots whom have the would be challenger supported between them.

Our duty is to protect & screen the oracles from those both undeserving & incapable of exercising control, I apologize if my intended's words brought undue offense. Let me offer this advice in recompense.

Pointing towards the door on the other side of the pool, thru there you will find a lift to bring you to the upper levels of the island, once there you will find the convergence of paths, you'll have many options, and more each step of the way, we have dozens of oracles scattered across the island. Each can offer different answers on varying subjects - I can only recommend you follow the well maintained & illuminated paths to avoid trouble, the others may not lead to the safest of locales.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yyrkoon

Yyrkoon attention went immediately to the shell's music. His well trained ears quickly tried to identify the tone and harmony, maybe he could reproduce it with his hissing.

I understand your predicament. And appreciate the advice. We will make our way to the oracles.

But thenn telephatically, he tried to plant an idea in the Aventi's mind.

You should come with us as a guide and help us avoid major trouble.

Regardless of that, he pulls another wand from his quiver and waving it, he makes his poison even more dangerous.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Qutan watches his opponents’s friends help him from the contest floor. Uncertain what the correct response would be he says, "You stepped into the circle with courage and I respect you for it." His voice trails off a bit at the end, this is beyond his experience.

He does not feel The Three in this place and it is unsettling to be without them.

He turns to his companions and shrugs, then looks toward the gates, best to leave before more ceremonies are called for.

24. - Top - End - #24

Likewise, and indeed. Morkhut makes sure to second Yyrkoon's pleasantries, unsmiling as ever, but with another respectful, albeit curt bow. If they can maintain this level of efficacy on the long run, they might not need to spend too much of their painfully precious time on the island, tiptoing around self-righteous imbeciles and narrow-minded mercenaries. At any rate, he doe not intend to waste any more of it on the aventi, much as she appreciates their sudden civility. Without further comment, he heads for the now open gate, taking a last, quick look at the apparent leader of the guardians with his unblinking left eye, just in case.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

After speaking with Yyrkoon, and beginning to turn away the shell blower pauses, then abruptly turns back to him. Perhaps it would be better if were to guide you, I know several of the oracles & could likely help you. She gestures for a companion, to whom she tosses the shell.

I'm going with these travelers you attend the flute in my absence. As she turns back, the recovering challenger, still partially delirious jerks to a standing position.

Nerine no.... just because they spared me doesn't mean you have to go with them. He turns to looking disparagingly at the group, as though on the verge of panic.

The skin around Nerine's eyes tightened, I may go wherever I wish, & currently I think it best to help these travelers. She raised a hand to forestall more arguements.

She began walking towards the now open gate. Please follow me, it's getting dark outside & I don't see to well at night.

Nerine leads the group through the gate & around the rest of the clear pool, after a dozen or so paces down the tunnel on the other side the passage turns sharply to the right before ending a handful of steps before a ending at a large platform with a raised pedestal.

If you'd be so kind Nerine gestured for everyone to step on the pedestal, as they did she secured a hanging chain across the width of the hallway. She ascended the platform and placed a hand on the pedestal, the platform vibrated slightly as it began to rise thru the air and up the empty shaft.

After close to a minute of ascension the platform cease rising and was now even with a similar base in a small stone building, Nerine swiftly walked out and began down the path of well worn cobbles.

The walk was brisk in the cooling night air, every 3 dozen paces or so was an overhead torch keeping the path illuminated if not well lit. 5 minutes had passed before the group arrived thru a cluster or tightly planted trees and into the a large circular courtyard. There were 7 other paths intersecting with the courtyard each evenly spaced apart, 4 of them had lights and cobbles like the prior path, while two were dark, the final path (directly opposite), was both dark & by the apparent shadows in structural disarray with the road fractured and the rubble scattered.

The sign can help us Nerine spoke up, it lists which types of oracles live at the ends of each path, or what types of questions to ask or note ask. She walks halfway to the sign, then turns back. While I have a guess, what were you here to ask them about?
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-01-24 at 11:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yyrkoon

Yyrkoon is glad he has made yet another friend, and if this Nerine should prove useful to his purposes, he migh keep her for long. After all, he never had a pet fish before. Hiding his disdain for Nerine in the deepest of his powerful mind, Yyrkoon acted curteous and gentile as the Aventi explained herself.

Yyrkoon paused in disbelief; so far, he had never really considered what question was the correct one for the oracle. He felt stupid for an instant. He had been so entertained by this whole quest that he was baffled now in the island.

He looked around and sent a telepahtic message to his scaly companion.

It had never occured to me what to actually ask the oracle.

Then he tried to act confident andwent for the most basic question.

Well, I'd first like to know what this tone is and where does it come from?

27. - Top - End - #27

Morkhut is pleased to witness Yyrkoon's quick thinking once again, and heartily approves of his chosen target as well. This Nerine would appear to be significanty less obnoxious than most creatures, the rest of these aventi included, whose company their little quartet had to endure along the way, and with some luck, the yuan-ti's subtle art shall keep her docile enough so long as they can get her to stick with them. Figuring his serpentine peer will easily be able to handle the fishwoman alone, however, he is quick to avert his attention from her, getting back to inspecting their surroundings.

What a fascinating mechanism, despite its simplicity. he growls in what is intended to be an appreciative tone when the lift begins to ascend. Clearly, such convenient means of vertical transport should be more commonly employed elsewhere as well. he adds, just as the platform grinds to a halt at the top of the shaft. Once out in the open, he picks up Nerine's pace and walks beside her silently all the way to the sign in the courtyard, only sparing a quick glance for the seven paths before focusing his gaze on the list, and looming over the aventi as a motionless, heavy pillar, he begins to read through it meticulously, only acknowledging Nerine's comment with a curt nod.

As the yuan-ti reaches out to his mind, his great mouth opens slightly, as if he were smiling. You need not worry about such matters, friend Yyrkoon. I came prepared, and with the unexpected new asset you so cleverly commandeered, we shall have an easier time assessing and reassessing our priorities, as well as fine-tuning our questions before we would meet the Oracles. he explains mentally, his voice as calm as ever. And there are indeed many things we are yet to properly understand about it. he speaks up, his free hand drawing lazy circles in the air. Is the Tone a cause, or merely a symptom, a byproduct of the true cause that might even be harmless in itself? Disheartening as it might be to admit that much, it is one of the few clues at our disposal as to the nature of the phenomenon that affects our many kinds equally, despite the differences between a housecat and, say, myself. The great crocodile turns his head slowly and looks down at Nerine. And I don't presume you are not aware that it is of vital importance to us to receive answers, and as comprehensive answers as can be expected from the best diviners known to the thinking races.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-01-26 at 11:25 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nerine looked up at Morkhut with little hesitance and returned his question quickly, as if responding to a friends query. I realize that this "tone" is causing great harm, while it's been limited here, she gestures to the island with a hand, I can understand it being far more problematic on the main lands.[/B][/COLOR] Returning her gaze to the sign she frowned, I don't remember being able to read all of these lines last time, I knew there were 8 major paths, but I've only ever been able to read 3. She glanced around looking at the 7 path ways in turn, I recall that one is supposed to count from the tunnel we exited starting with the left most as #1. She spent a few minutes examining the sign - I'd recommend pursuing lines 4,6,& 7, avoid the ones mentioned in lines 3,5,8 and using 1 & 2 if more answers are needed.

The circular plaza is about 50 in diameter, with a large floor mosaic of the depicting major events & general artwork, there is the great battle of Halcynith, the comets of Arakesh, a solar eclipse, pictures of the island & ships travelling to & from, & a storm fire and light and many others.

The path directly to the left of the exited tunnel lies due East, the light posts along it are extinguished and some of the road stones have been churned up.
    The next path is well lit, and appears untouched, in fact moss has grown over many of the stones as though the path is travelled infrequently.
    The third path is has no lit posts, but appears undamaged, and a bit narrow.
    The 4th path (opposite of your exit) is also well lit, though the vegetation on either side appears to be slightly overgrown.
    The 5th path is is brightly lit, with new & old lamps alike, there are several piles of rubble that have been swept into piles and appears to be in the midst of being cleaned up.
    The 6th path is perfectly leveled with stone worn and shaped into a smooth path, mage lights hang in the air revealing large scratches in the smooth rocky surface.
    The final path is a deer trail through a cluster of tightly packed trees, it is unlit, but there doesn't appear to be any light poles.

Spoiler: The Sign
    Show
    The sign is made of carved marble with inlays of gold & silver bordering the edges, the words are hewn into the rock and have clearly been etched for some time.

There are 8 large lines, each with smaller lines beneath them.

Down the path most grand, reside those who understand, all that is to be, events not yet come, but shall indeed occur.
    Be warned all thee who proceed down this route, questions with answer more than one shall begin a confusing pursuit.
    Believe not a word from the one who speaks not in verse, for their only goal is to see you work in reverse

Down the path most serene, reside those whose bond with nature, is greater than those of any other in this vast marine, when entering their abode be warned of the soil with excess moisture.
    5 shrines along the way you shall pass, one would do well to check the grass.
    At roads end shall you soon arrive, but recall the path's number should you wish to survive.

Out along the island's edge shall 3rd path creep, it will test your balance above the briny deep, with stoic gait & iron grip, knowledge of the divine await those who take this trip.
    Short and quick the route may be, but surviel above for treachery
    As is with all things - as above as is below.

Down the hole of shadows and secrets live those with secrets not to tell, with blood & meat alone shall you coax the oracle from her shell.
    Take from us this hint, for those who pay in blood & gold, all shall be revealed - upon thine flesh the answer will imprint.
    A price, a cost, a gift of gold, all of these for truths untold, to you alone the secret given, struggle not or be rended whilst shriven.

Along the Sun's first path answers abound, from places to names & farway planes ask only for things that can be travelled to & found.
    No tribute or trial for one without burden, what were saying is leave your weapons for those who are uncertain.
    A trick it is not nor trap may it be, scared of weapons this oracle be, sheathed or stowed it makes not a hoot, don't bring your arms or recieve the boot.

Along the final but path but one lies one of greed for gold, twice the price he will charge, yet he's often visted by and large.
    On matters of magic he does remit, ancient, arcane, divine and more of all of it he knows.
    Pay him more per query posed and he shall answer still, but ask not questions exceeding five if you hope to leave alive.

Straight out and ahead you may proceed, if by chance you wish to have the answers to succeed.
    Neither time of day or season past determine likelihood - its by fickle fate alone whether an answer is good
    For those who who travel without guide or guard, take this path for untested is the boulevard.

All paths but one of have been written and listed, save for one, for who cares about details past & done. Mysteries of the past lay dead & hidden, but come to this oracle when bidden.
    This knowledge is not for those of empty minds or those thoughts frequent flutter, to learn my secrets, you must remember that which is frequent
    What mistakes & choices do all make that ends with sobs or rejoices? What events prosper as death becomes a merchant lord & what compels it Pride, Greed or Sword?

Spoiler: For Morkhut
    Show
    The sign has residual magic from permanence & several protective spells effects, however these seem to be temporarily suppressed or dispelled at the moment.

Spoiler: Edit - Significant
    Show
    Edit - Modified the last line of Nerine's dialogue about the paths - the way I'd originally written it could be terribly misinterpreted based on my (now prior) word choice. The correct phrasing is now above.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-01-26 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Formatting

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Ember raises an eyebrow slightly as Yyrkoon charms another being into his service. She disapproves, but so long as Nerine remains unharmed she isn't going to say anything. She has to admit that a guide will be useful, and seeing the Aventi champion humbled is somewhat amusing. When Nerine expresses concern about the dark, Ember is quick to reassure her:

"Don't worry, Dakota and I can both see in the dark. We'll keep you safe."

As Nerine leads the way, Ember follows along watchfully with Dakota weaving back and forth around the party's ankles. She doesn't say much except to agree with Morhkut's assessment of the lift.

"I wonder how it works? It's certainly more convenient than having to transform when I want to fly! I imagine it's even more convenient for those who can't. Most ingenious!"

When they come to the top and Nerine asks what questions she'd like to ask, she's visibly hesitant.

"I have a few I'd like to ask, but to be honest I don't think I can afford it. I guess I was hoping to tag along with this group and hope their questions point us in the right direction. So this is a riddle, right? Well the sun's first path is that way... and straight out ahead is obvious. That one would be the third path, and that smooth one would be the final path but one. That leaves just three, only one of which is in shadow. And that one is serene and that one is grand... Ok, I think I've got this."

"You're recommendations are we could go straight out ahead, to the oracle who may offer us success. Or to the oracle of the 6th path who can tell us of magic. Or the oracle of the seventh path can perhaps reveal shadows and secrets."

"I think perhaps the second path, the path of nature, might also be of interest to us."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yyrkoon
    Yyrkoon considers the signs carefully.

Down the path most grand, reside those who understand, all that is to be, events not yet come, but shall indeed occur.
    Be warned all thee who proceed down this route, questions with answer more than one shall begin a confusing pursuit.
    Believe not a word from the one who speaks not in verse, for their only goal is to see you work in reverse

Diviners of the future who know which seeds will sow and which won't. These are not helpful for us and may lead to more confusion as the future is an everchanging country.

Down the path most serene, reside those whose bond with nature, is greater than those of any other in this vast marine, when entering their abode be warned of the soil with excess moisture.
    5 shrines along the way you shall pass, one would do well to check the grass.
    At roads end shall you soon arrive, but recall the path's number should you wish to survive.

These could be druids, and there's warning of dangers. They may be able to answer the Why if affects us more than the "civilized" races

Out along the island's edge shall 3rd path creep, it will test your balance above the briny deep, with stoic gait & iron grip, knowledge of the divine await those who take this trip.
    Short and quick the route may be, but surviel above for treachery
    As is with all things - as above as is below.

Clerics... i rather avoid them as only Sseth is worth of praise.

Down the hole of shadows and secrets live those with secrets not to tell, with blood & meat alone shall you coax the oracle from her shell.
    Take from us this hint, for those who pay in blood & gold, all shall be revealed - upon thine flesh the answer will imprint.
    A price, a cost, a gift of gold, all of these for truths untold, to you alone the secret given, struggle not or be rended whilst shriven.

This is my kind of oracle, sacrifice is the price of knowledge. He glances jokingly at the mistrusting dragon And a fox fur may be a great gift. He smirks
    But maybe we need clearer questions if the answers have such a steep cost.

Along the Sun's first path answers abound, from places to names & farway planes ask only for things that can be travelled to & found.
    No tribute or trial for one without burden, what were saying is leave your weapons for those who are uncertain.
    A trick it is not nor trap may it be, scared of weapons this oracle be, sheathed or stowed it makes not a hoot, don't bring your arms or recieve the boot.

This may be the answer to who and where. But I'd rather first learn the what and how.

Along the final but path but one lies one of greed for gold, twice the price he will charge, yet he's often visted by and large.
    On matters of magic he does remit, ancient, arcane, divine and more of all of it he knows.
    Pay him more per query posed and he shall answer still, but ask not questions exceeding five if you hope to leave alive.

Alas, this may be the one that gives us the What.

Straight out and ahead you may proceed, if by chance you wish to have the answers to succeed.
    Neither time of day or season past determine likelihood - its by fickle fate alone whether an answer is good
    For those who who travel without guide or guard, take this path for untested is the boulevard.

I didn't travel this far to leave it all to chance. This would be my last option.

All paths but one of have been written and listed, save for one, for who cares about details past & done. Mysteries of the past lay dead & hidden, but come to this oracle when bidden.
    This knowledge is not for those of empty minds or those thoughts frequent flutter, to learn my secrets, you must remember that which is frequent
    What mistakes & choices do all make that ends with sobs or rejoices? What events prosper as death becomes a merchant lord & what compels it Pride, Greed or Sword?

And here my friends, we may have an answer to the WHY. Whether that is signifficant to you or not, that is a different issue. The past is set in stone, yet nothing is new under the sun and we may yet learn more from what has been than try to pry in what will be.

I don't mind the dangers, but I clearly have a preference for questions: WHY US? (druids) WHY AT ALL? (past) AND WHAT is this (He who knows the secrets).