New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: ALPHA - IC - The Tone of Madness - Part 1

It is but a simple spell of Levitation, made permanent. Morkhut answer's Ember's query about the lift offhandedly, purposely ignoring the comment about flight, rude as it may be of the dragon to flaunt her abilities.

Illusions sound consistent with Nerine's previous experience; it was probably Mahir who suppressed them. A lucky turn of events – they have the captain to thank for that. On the other hand, the crocodile is somewhat displeased that the Magic Mouth fell victim to the same spell or effect as well. It might have provided useful hints. Not that any of them seem to need those too much, and least of all does he.

I tend to agree with your position in regard to the foretellers of the first path. Their services are time-consuming and costly if we are to glean reliable information from their answers, and these answers would indeed be of little use for us, regardless their degree of certainty. I have little faith in the merits of aleatoric divination as well, popular as that path might be. It is, by definition, erratic. We have neither the time, nor the resources to spare for that. As for the third path… I do not share your distaste for the clergy, and even if I did, these oracles are, above all, scholars. Nevertheless, their area of expertise is the divine, and I'd rather not entertain the notion that we are up against vast Beings we are powerless to hold accountable, as long as there is no conclusive proof for our struggle being so hopelessly lopsided as that would seem.
    Morkhut falls silent for a short moment, pondering the remaining options. If you wish to follow the fourth path, friend Yyrkoon, I shall not stand in your way. I would, nonetheless make an attempt at dissuading you from such a course of action. You might know me as a man of learning, and as such, I did not come to the doorstep of these diviners completely ignorant of what I could reasonably expect from each. Of this oracle, on the other hand, I know nothing but rumours, rumours of a woman, a rare beauty, and of some mighty beast, its exact nature unclear to me, hiding in the belly of the earth. I believe that it is not in our best interest to be reckless and test our strengths and good fortune against dangers we cannot properly assess.

Make no mistake: every option at our disposal comes with its own risks, but not all these risks are equal by any means.
    he adds. Take the sixth path, for instance, perhaps the most promising of the eight we can choose from. It leads to what remains of Gahrn of Holyglen: a shining, great intellect in a shrivelled, dead body. He used to be a dwarf; now he's a lich. But a lich, friend Yyrkoon, is a known quantity. I would, accordingly, recommend that we see him first.

In case we fail to obtain the knowledge we are looking for from Gahrn, which is not a possibility to be carelessly discounted,
    Morkhut makes a vague gesture with his right well, you are very correct in pointing out that we have other avenues to pursue. Needless to say, for the aforesaid reasons (this path keeps its secrets well, and better than I would personally prefer), I am somewhat wary of the second path and the occupants of its shrines, but as you remarked yourself, these occupants – druids and clerics of nature alike – are more likely to be more strongly invested in preserving the lives of the common beasts, and, by extension, the lives of those such as ourselves, who are likewise affected by the Tone, than any other sage we might possibly find here.

Last but not least, as far as the fifth path is concerned, we are also in agreement: we may profit greatly from a visit to its seers, but, regrettably (since this is the safest and most comfortingly predictable route we can take), due to their narrow focus, it would, perhaps, be more prudent to merely complement our understanding of the conundrum we wish to solve as needed and as we deem appropriate once we are done consulting Gahrn and, mayhaps, the druids.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-01-30 at 05:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Ember shrugs at the options in front of them. "I don't really have the funds to ask a question of my own right now, so I'll go along with whatever you three decide", she says. "I'll continue to any hazards along the way as long as you let me share in your answers."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The mage lights alternated between a soft white, a pale blue and a shining white, they were spaced about 20' apart on each side of the path. The path is smooth & almost polished, the uniformity is such that is must be by design and not the passage of visitors. The only mar in road was an occasional scratch; nearly an inch wide and foot long, the distinct marking is randomly scattered across the pathway.

After proceeding down the path for a few minutes, the scratches cease, there has been little to no other signs of life. (Yyrkoon can sense creatures of low intellect in the surrounding area, but nothing noteworthy or of concern.)

A tower of granite and stone appears in the distance clearly the end destination of the path, from the remaining distance it is wreathed in mage lights and towers close to 200' in the air.

There is a bend ahead in the road, though it does little to dampen the voices coming from farther down the path.

Spoiler: Yyrkoon
    Show
    Yyrkoon - You can sense 9 intelligent minds about 80' ahead.

Spoiler: Listen Check DC 20
    Show
    You can hear discussions between 3-6 people they are speaking in Draconic

Spoiler: If you speak draconic
    Show
    1) How much longer? (3)It'll take however long it takes. (2) We were told to stop anyone else from coming into the tower. (4) Besides it ain't like you can even go anywhere if we weren't waiting.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-02-14 at 03:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

"There are several people ahead speaking in Draconic," Ember relates to the rest of the group. "Apparently they've been told to stop people going in to the tower."

5. - Top - End - #35

You have quite the keen ear, Ember. Morkhut murmurs, appreciatively laying a hand on the dragon's shoulder as gently as a creature of his size can manage. I wonder if you could, perchance, give us a more precise approximation of what several would mean in this specific instance. We shall have to remove that blockage, one way or another, and that could certainly ease us of an unpleasant surprise. The crocodile straightens up somewhat, drawing a circle into the air with his free hand. Especially given that their speaking the tongue of dragons is a further cause for concern. I don't suppose you did not notice the irregular scratch marks marring the surface of the trail we followed. I would be remiss not to remark that I believe they were left by one of your breed, Ember. A dragon, albeit a chromatic one. Most likely blue, black or white, and if so, certainly an adult, perhaps older yet, even.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-02-16 at 03:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As the group rounds the corner they come upon a strange yet magnificent site.

The tower is ahead of them, nearly 250' tall, adorned with white and blue mage lights, the stone is a a dull grey that fails to reflect much of the ambient light. the contrast is similar to a dark sky criss-crossed with dozens of stars.

At the base of the tower is a wide flat canopy (30' high) & reaching out nearly 30' in a semi circle from the wall of the tower. Icicles several feet in length hang in random locations from this canopy, the mage lights causing them to sparkle & glitter. The base of the tower has a large doorway 10' wide and 15' tall, though your attention is directed to the "Huge" white dragon crouched before the open passage way.

To either side of the dragon stands half a dozen humanoid mages, there are 4 differing sets of 3 identical mages. Each figure wears the robes of the mages seen earlier, though their "horses" are no where in site. Each figure has several crystalline shards hovering next to them, while their hands are wreathed in frost & mist. The figures seem ready for a fight, though unsure of where exactly their enemy is, the dragon is gazing directly towards the party.

Spoiler: The Party
    Show
    The Party - You are about 100' from the edge of where the overhang begins, you may either be peaking around the corner, walking out & observing or moving quickly out and closing the distance. - Regardless the Dragon has sensed you at this point and has identified you, though it has of yet not communicated this to the others.

Spoiler: Yyrkoon
    Show
    Yyrkoon - You can sense 4x (9-10) range intelligence creatures hiding among the icicles on the ceiling (Spot to ID), you can tell that there are only 4 living/intelligent beings among the dozen, 2 on either side of the dragon. The dragon is very real and is a 20 intellect.

Spoiler: Morkhut
    Show
    Morkhut - You can see that 8 of the humanoids are illusions cast to mimic the 1 in 4 real mages. You can see that the mages have a few abjuration spells, (for defense) a necromancy (their hands) and a conjuration (the sparkling shards). The icicles hanging from the roof are also magical conjurations. The rest are permeance effects and are much subtler and masterful magical castings, the dragon appears to be sitting in a conjuration and enchantment circle that none of the mages or their figments are within stepping distance of.

Spoiler: Ember & Frendle
    Show
    Ember & Frendle - I'm not sure what, if any special observational skills you want to be exercising the group as a whole is about 100' from the edge of the overhang.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

At the sight of a white dragon Ember winces internally, and Dakota takes cover behind her legs. Gold dragons and white dragons aren't known for getting along, and this one is much bigger than she is. Anticipating a fight she shifts back into her true form, sprouting scales, tail and talons. She holds her hammer by her side though, not yet wanting to raise it and commit to combat. "I don't suppose we can talk first?" she tries in draconic.

8. - Top - End - #38

Indeed. Morkhut rumbles, likewise in Draconic. We did not come here to engage in combat or to hinder and frustrate your efforts. However, he remains alert and adds a few mumbled words accompanied by slow, measured gestures.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The huge white dragon raises itself to it's feet, then spins in a tight circle, never once overstepping the bounds of the circle beneath it. Once these "enemies" have been dealt with this circle will be broken "yes?" The dragon's voice while still speaking its native tongue was both menacing and seductive, "I will have served my debt without question or argument?" It spoke to with its gaze directed towards the mages, but had its voiced raised abnormally considering the small distance between them.

10. - Top - End - #40

Morkhut was never particularly sentimental, but watching the dragon perform its act does not fail to impress him. Whites. The weakest, most base species in the chromatic pentad, often dismissed as little more than brutes. But once they grow old and strong enough, their blood shows. They are still dragons. And the deal this specimen offers is certainly tempting.
    Do not resist this. he instructs Ember quietly, laying a hand on her scaly side before murmuring a short phrase in a forgotten, old tongue. Ember is an asset, after all. More of an asset than a single spell spent to hide her from the whote's wrath. With the young gold hopefully taken good care of for now, however, the crocodile returns his attention to her larger cousin, raising an arm and with a few more words of power, releasing a hungry surge of magic aimed at the circle binding the dragon to the will of those fools.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The wave of magic passed over the circle & the dragon, a few sparks of scatter off the hide of the white dragon. It emits a low growl before standing and flexing its body, several of the mages & illusions look at the dragon with a brief bit of concern. They glance around and look down the trail towards Ember & Morkhut.

They make no sudden or obvious moves but their attention is now fixed in the direction of the party.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"Why would I...oh" Ember whispers as Morkhut casts, quickly identifying the effect as a spell on her own repertoire. With combat looking imminent she beats her wings hard to gain altitude, casting greater mighty wallop on her hammer in order to prepare. With the invisibility effect perhaps the mages won't see her.

13. - Top - End - #43

Morkhut is both satisfied to hear Ember take off and mildly annoyed to see his spell fail. He fires off another quick assault on the circle binding the dragon, before incanting a different short phrase and spreading his arms, before lowering his head menacingly and beginning to advance on the enemy along an erratic, meandering path as a swarm of duplicates begins to swirl all around him. He too can play this game, and just as well as those four.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Morkhut can "feel" a satisfying pop as his second attempt severs the magic constraints placed upon the white dragon.

The glowing circle dims rapidly before shattering like a sheet of dropped ice, the dragon flares it body launches a barrage of strikes at one of the groups of mages its swiping claws each pass thru and dissipate a pair of images, a buffeting barrage from its wings is narrowly avoided by the remaining 2 figures, though they aren't so lucky as the dragon rapidly spins its body whirling its tail towards them.

The blow connects sending the figure sprawling onto the cobbled road, as the dragon returns its head from the spinning attack it lunges forward and chomps thru the final image which was a few feet away pretending to be dazed.

A group of bats descend from the cluster of icicles and flutter in a partial swarm around the dragons face, though they are little more than pests, they seem to be expertly targeting the dragons vulnerable eyes, which are nearly as large as they are.

The remaining group of mages real and illusory alike gape and swear at the occurence...

Shi...... the dragons loose, don't move or the icicles will drop on you.

I thought it was supposed to be locked in for hours not minutes....

Poor Hagen....I doubt he's gonna recover from that....
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-03-21 at 05:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Poor Hagen indeed! Dragons are no toys. They number among the mightiest of mortals. Arcane prowess might mitigate, but never quite alter that. This clownish display of proud ignorance baffles me. Morkhut rumbles in Draconic as he continues to close with the remainder of the forces arranged against them, firing off another pair of spells. You should have taken our peace when we came offering it.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The left side group of mages and duplicates, so clustered together and tightly spaced suddenly opens, leaving two surprised looking figures....
    Meanwhile above 3 in 4 icicles vanish from the overhanging canopy of stone.

The dragon seems intent on chewing the mage Hagen, but he seems just as motivated at the antithesis of that option and after straining for a few moments looses his hands from the wear he is trying to extricate himself from the toothy-maw, waves his hand frantically at the dragon.

Its crackles with blue sparks as he slams his fist onto the dragons snout, where a boom and resounds and a char spot of cracked scales and burnt flesh now resides.

The dragon releases its jaws from Hagen and rears back inhaling as it does, yet before it can loose a two more blobs of lightning strike it from behind, the two newly solitary mages each having let loose a spell of their own.

Though they quickly realize the folly of their mistake as the dragon chooses to release it's breath upon them instead, firing an expanding burst of ice and super chilled air at them.

Each mage attempted to leap clear of the path, though only one is successful, as he lands his boots shatter the layers of ice the attack had inflicted. His companion had taken a far worse blow but was still alive and backing away trying to ensure the dragon would have to leave as many exposed as possible in order to attack one of them.

The mage who had partial dodged the icy cone yelled to the third mage who still had his ensemble of illusory doubles "Perin - what are you waiting for blast it, your the only one with fire magic"

But the mage stood their listlessly swaying, as though he couldn't comprehend neither the situation nor his companions words...

17. - Top - End - #47

Tiring of the setback, Morkhut draws a slight bit even closer adn makes an agressive sweep with his right arm, intent on subduing the three wounded mages and, perhaps, with some luck the swarm (although he doesn't expect much to come from that), ignoring only Perin: that one is no concern anymore, nor will he become one, most likely ever.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

With the Perrin identified as the main threat to the White Dragon, Ember swoops in at full speed landing in front of the the hapless mage as she pounces! Lashing out with her wings and teeth at images in progression until she identifies the real mage, she follows up with a flurry of hammer strikes against him!

Spoiler
    Show

Charging Pounce. Full attack, 3 natural attacks plus standard iteratives:

Real mage is Perrin (1d3)[1]

Against Perrin 1 Bite (1d20+21)[32] Damage (1d8+10)[12]
    Against Perrin 2 if Bite didn't connect (else at real Perrin): Wing (1d20+21)[32] Damage (1d4+10)[14]
    Against Perrin 3 if neither of the above connected (else at Real Perrin): Wing (1d20+21)[29] Damage (1d4+10)[11]

Hammer against Real Perring: (1d20+24)[30] Damage: (6d6+16)[34]
    Hammer against Real Perring: (1d20+19)[22] Damage: (6d6+16)[39]
    Hammer against Real Perring: (1d20+14)[26] Damage: (6d6+16)[31]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Morkhut's wave of magic washes over the creatures, two of the familiars swarming about the dragon's face squeak in discomfort and disengage from their task, as they do they flutter towards the crumpling bodies of their masters, Hagen & one of his compatriot mages.

The final standing mage is the one of had previously avoided the worst of the dragon's exhalation, he gives a quick set of whistles before moving his hands in pattern of jerks and and circles while also muttering beneath his breath. As his familiar and it's illusions converge on him, his spell finishes and the air about him whirls as though water were draining into a black spot near his waist. With small whoosh from the moving to stationary air, the spot was left open & empty.

Ember's series of attacks annihilate the being previous known are Perin. The mage's body crumples beneath the initial blows basic instincts the only thing keeping it upright in the first place.

After the 3rd and final hammer blow all that's left is a bloody robe and and what might have been an imploded face.

The dragon swings it's head around surveying the events, then reclines onto its haunches and looks toward Morkhut with a look of general patience.

20. - Top - End - #50

Morkhut and his small entourage of Morkhuts take a few more leisurely steps towards the dragon before bowing in unison. It is, no doubt, a rare grace: to remind the foolhardy of their station alongside one such as yourself. his colourless voice remarks. I presume I need not confirm that your vanquished foes are yours to slay or spare. He then straightens his back again as much as his naturally hunched crocodilian posture allows for and looks up to meet the white's gaze. Should you happen to have the time for conversing and, indeed, the willingness to suffer and humor us for a moment, on the other hand, may I ask you what the purpose of the arrangements these imbeciles made here was? I see neither rhyme, nor reason to it.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-04-19 at 10:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A mild rumbling emits from the dragon as minor streams of ice shoot from it's nostrils. After finishing is chuckling, it speaks, the voice again both seductive and menacing. Ah, beings not attuned and foregone to the customs of two legs and other pariahs of morality. It is good to see, but surprising to have one be a gilded cousin..... the massive head lowers to gaze at ember for a long moment before blinking and returning to a more conversational pose.

I am Rime-Scale, daughter of glaciers and mother of avalanches. She turns and surveys the mages, "their belongs are yours so long as you ensure they never again draw breath." I have not interest in them, but I will have my revenge on that turban wearing fop. Still..... glancing at the tower, the faded magic circle and the party before her, now is not the time for revenge.

Mahir captured me months ago after I lost myself to the tone, (yes I know about it), though there is little to tell. He kept me imprisoned in a glass sphere, kept telling me I'd serve him some way before he'd grant my release. When he let these fools be the ones to draw the containment circle as opposed to himself I managed to convince him to use me to guard the tower while he went inside.

He'll return soon, he's desperate for some reason beyond the problems arising & at hand ..... I intend to determine why.... I will have my revenge, just not in the way he will expect.

She opens the massive sails of her wings and spreads them high and wide, stretching limbs that had been drawn tightly for who knows for how long.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"I only want to find my sister," Ember explains to Rime-Scale, feeling oddly awkward before the older dragon in her natural form yet armed like a humanoid. "We lost ourselves to the tone as well, but she never found her way back. I'm hoping one of these oracles can help me find her."

Behind Ember and Morkhut Dakota creeps out of the undergrowth towards the unexpected conversation, both cautious yet curious.

"It didn't seem right how those guys were treating you. We're here to see the oracles, so we'll be around for a while if you need anything. I never really had a chance to be around dragons growing up, so I'd love a chance to chat sometime, if you have time," Ember says awkwardly.

23. - Top - End - #53

Kreas Morkhut. It is a pleasure to have your acquaintance, Mistress Rime-Scale. Morkhut introduces himself with another quick bow. And she is Ember. Please forgive her apparent lack of manners; she is too much in awe to mind them, which I deem understandable, given the circumstances. That said, he continues, simultaneously approaching the fallen mage on the left side. she is correct. It is against the proper order of things for a glorified ape, skilled as he may be in the Arts, to bind a true dragon into his servitude. If you require our aid in avenging this affront, we are ready to lend it. Do tell us if you need, for instance, healing. Still, though you have my word that these two are not long for this world, he speaks on, grabbing the shaft of his axe with both hands and swinging it with practiced grace to bring it down on the fallen caster's skull and while we thank you for the invaluable insight into his motives, we have no intention to confront Mahir himself at this juncture either, provided we can avoid it.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-04-20 at 06:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Ember cringes in embarrassment realising she forgot to introduce herself. "And this is Dakota," she adds, indicating her fox companion.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Rime-scale preens at Morkhut's praise and general manners & disposition. It has been sometime since I've had such a pleasant conversation with one not of my blood or brood. Turning her head to Ember, and fear not little one your actions & reactions are well within due course given the circumstances. As for healing... a skyblue whip like tendril of a tongue flicks out between her teeth and caress's the spot Hagen's lightning had charred her nose... I shall politely decline, such natural healing will be a reminder to me of how I was captured and the revenge I shall have upon the mage Mahir.

I will find you later when I have thought of adequate repayment until then you'll have naught but my word of thanks.

The massive wings drive down with a force that makes the tree's quake, once, twice, thrice, they beat before Rime-scale pushes her front legs up then makes a rearing leap into the sky.
    After rapidly ascending the dragon levels off and quickly departs towards the darkening horizon.

26. - Top - End - #56

We have reason enough to be equally grateful for how you carried yourself in this struggle. For my part, I do, nonetheless, look forward to your rejoining us, even for the shortest while. By then, I wish you good fortune in all your endeavours. Morkhut replies with a last, polite bow of farewell. Instead of watching Rime-Scale disappear into the gloom above, he crouches down by the body at his feet and quickly searches it before striding over to Hagen and performing the same routine with utter dispassion. Ember. he addresses the young dragon as he moves on to inspect Perin's remains as well. Beyond doubt, you fought well, but I would urge you to act with a greater sagacity and prudence in the future. You must be more keenly aware than myself that chromatic dragons are just as apt at sensing foes visible and invisible as your kind is and that the white tend to harbour little fondness for the gold. the crocodile admonishes his companion. But again, what is yours is yours. Take these. he hands over a number of pouches to her. Unlike yourself, I have little need for Mahir's coin presently. Further, while I would keep a cloak and carry the potions and spellbooks alike until a more opportune moment for a closer examination arises, take what you will of the rest. he adds, his myopic gaze already averted from Ember and focusing on the curious little note.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"I wasn't raised among dragons, I haven't inherited any of their... prejudices," Ember replies. "But I will take on board what you have said and try to better consider what other dragons may think of me in future."

She stows the pouches of gold and the rest of the equipment (though she doesn't don any).

"Shall we ascend the tower now?" She asks, as Dakota sniffs around the entrance.

28. - Top - End - #58

Having finished reading the note, Morkhut lets a out a short, hissing string of curses in Sphinx, before pocketing the piece of paper to see about switching clothes and gently placing the potion bottles and spellbooks into his pack. That might not be an eminently wise course of action. he responds to Ember, slowly shaking his sizable head. Unlike these lowly cohorts, Mahir is a veritable force to reckon with, and he certainly has designs for this place. He left written instructions for his subordinates, which make it abundantly clear that their mission was not merely blocking the entry of other prospective clients of the oracle. he pauses shortly, looking up to inspect the building before them. This tower was under siege. He set up these guards and further barriers, magical in nature, inside, mainly to bar the residents of the edifice from leaving. Moreover, his underlings were ordered to hold their position until he returns or until the dragon is no longer bound by the circle I broke, implying that he expected his visit to take hours. he goes on before raising his free hand and extending a single finger. Now, we should be able to bypass his wards in a number of ways; that might not, however, put us in a favourable position, tactically speaking, if we are to confront the man himself.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"I get the impression the Oracle may not exactly welcome his presence," Ember replies, as Dakota goes up to cautiously sniff around the large tower entrance. "You're suggesting we wait and ambush him as he comes out? Or until he leaves? He may already realise his guards have failed. And the oracle may also appreciate us being a bit more direct."

"Wards inside, you say?" Ember muses, taking a few steps back from the tower, trying to spot if there are any potential entrances further up.

30. - Top - End - #60

Far be it from me to question the validity of your points and concerns. Morkhut says with a thoughtful nod. And yet, I would rather tread carefully. True dragons, you see, are noble creatures, largely irrespective of the colour their scales sport, whereas much as we may need his assistance, Gahrn is a lich. It would be reckless to expect gratitude from him, regardless how we proceed, and whilst I can suffer being his client, I would sooner not be his pawn in a game he plays against the likes of Mahir whom I would not force a confrontation with either, for that matter.

The crocodile then steps beside Ember and following her gaze begins to size up the tower as well. In view of that, while I could certainly disable most, if not all, the wards, I must agree that choosing a more heterodox avenue of approach ought indeed be a safer bet. his monotonous voice grinds on just as he acknowledges the dragon's quick thinking with another nod.