New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: What if batman was like spiderman

Speaking of alternative takes on the Batman concept - the next D+ show looks like it might be Moon Knight
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Speaking of alternative takes on the Batman concept - the next D+ show looks like it might be Moon Knight
    If he's not going after Dracula to get his ketamine money back, I'm not watching.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-12 at 02:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If he's not going after Dracula to get his ketamine money back, I'm not watching.
    ...I should probably read more Moon Knight comics...
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

It's just an internet meme.

Watch "**** Moon Knight says" on YouTube for more info.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, you're telling me this text isn't real?

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-12 at 06:46 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

It's just an internet meme.

Watch "**** Moon Knight says" on YouTube for more info.
    Wait, was that Doctor Strange he hit with that rifle butt?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

A more “noir-ish” comic book masked non-rich vigilante already existed in 1940: The Spirit
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Didn't Stan Lee create Iron Man, a rich kid because he had rich parents who left him everything, who went around in a full suit costume doing things? Wouldn't a 'Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating Batman' comic just be normal Batman but like with a painkiller addiction or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Look, I'm not married to the idea or absolutely insistent that he would create it exactly as I have described. I'm just noting that "what if he did this" is an odd thought experiment when he did a very similar character (at least, in the broad strokes).

"he" meaning "in collaboration with others and various degrees of involvement" as you see fit.
    I'd split hairs and say Tony Stark is a genius-engineer-millionaire-superhero while Batman is a crimefighting-detective-genius-millionaire. So you get +8 to use Batman to control Tony Stark.

Further, I'd say there are other characters he (co)created that are more like Batman than Tony Stark. Spider-Man is a good example - same basic formative origin, or as we've already mentioned, Dardevil.

Yes, Moon Knight is very clearly a Batman rip...but I really liked Moon Knight in the 80s, and I liked the upgrade to Fist of Khonshu. After that I lost track, though, and am frankly afraid of the new interpretation, especially live action.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by creepyeye View Post
    I think it was either Robert Pattinson or an elseworld story I forgot. All I know is that it was a Batman. Who lived in moderation
    Hmmm...that might be interesting in the synopsis of the upcoming movie, but as I've been avoiding deceitful previews for years I have no idea if that's the case.

Could it be Detective #27?
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Sounds kinda like a strange setup.
    Part about Batman is he cant really work without a billion dollar budget for the kind of tech he depends on.

While Spiderman can get away with it by actually being a really powerful metahuman.
    Like his strenght and agility is off the human scale.
    I don't think, so you can do all kinds of amazing things on a budget.

[Theory}
    His batarangs could be made out of bottles, his explosives could be made out of a bottle and some fuel(fuel can be literally anything, but lets take flower or gasoline, because it's cheap), brass knuckle are cheap, for the sport illegally upgraded sports equipment could be used as armor, his cloth can be made out of cheap plastic or knitted, building a hand taser out of a laptop accu, some wire and a small knife isn't that hard.
    The real problems come from the bat car and the wing suit function of the bat cape.
    The wingsuit function isn't that important and can if we're dealing with a somewhat reckless character be made out of plastic sheet and aluminum tent poles.
    bat car:
    Giving a bat wing motive to a car isn't that hard, there is an entire community who modify cars and try to hide these modifications from the police, so that will probably work too, working weaponry can be done if you are willing to be the only one who ever opens up your car.
    Bat computer:
    with the introduction of free of charge FOSS source voice assistants the biggest hurdle has been overcome, but the problem of limited access to satellites remains. This can be fixed legally and illegally: legally you just work in heavily populated and documented areas, so you don't need the satellites or illegally you spend 400 dollars to get your hands on the equipment needed to hack a satellite.
    The bat cave:
    Just use some old forgotten non-military build bunker or an old industrial building with a basement.[/Theory]
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

Batman in black Ice Hockey armour and a truck with bat wings painted on is kind of hilarious, though.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smoutwortel View Post
    I don't think, so you can do all kinds of amazing things on a budget.
    You can certainly cut down the expenses of being a costumed vigilante down pretty far, though you can't get them to zero. In many ways though, rather defraying operational costs the most important aspect of Batman's wealth is the operational freedom it provides him. Batman, and many similar vigilante characters tend to be positioned as members of the rentier class because not having to work makes the logistics of crime-fighting that much easier. Even Spider-Man gets in on this, since Peter's freelance photographer gig allows him extremely flexible hours and because he is his own best-selling subject he's able to finance his life through crime-fighting. Which is a pretty neat trick and one Stan Lee deserves considerable credit for.

The operational freedom provided by money also matters more as operational scale increases. For example, the moment a hero leaves the neighborhood to become a globe-trotting crime fighter they need a mechanism to finance globe-trotting, and globe-trotting is expensive. Even if you don't have your own plane, last-minute plane tickets are budget busting even for fairly well off individuals. Batman's wealth has increased over time as the scale of Batman's (and the greater Bat-family) operations have expanded to the interstellar. Something similar happens with Spider-Man too, every time he gets roped into major Avengers or X-men plotlines.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    You can certainly cut down the expenses of being a costumed vigilante down pretty far, though you can't get them to zero. In many ways though, rather defraying operational costs the most important aspect of Batman's wealth is the operational freedom it provides him. Batman, and many similar vigilante characters tend to be positioned as members of the rentier class because not having to work makes the logistics of crime-fighting that much easier. Even Spider-Man gets in on this, since Peter's freelance photographer gig allows him extremely flexible hours and because he is his own best-selling subject he's able to finance his life through crime-fighting. Which is a pretty neat trick and one Stan Lee deserves considerable credit for.

The operational freedom provided by money also matters more as operational scale increases. For example, the moment a hero leaves the neighborhood to become a globe-trotting crime fighter they need a mechanism to finance globe-trotting, and globe-trotting is expensive. Even if you don't have your own plane, last-minute plane tickets are budget busting even for fairly well off individuals. Batman's wealth has increased over time as the scale of Batman's (and the greater Bat-family) operations have expanded to the interstellar. Something similar happens with Spider-Man too, every time he gets roped into major Avengers or X-men plotlines.
    Good points

First the job problem: As you showed with the spider man example there are average man's jobs that also allow room this kind of behavior. Remember OP didn't need him to be dirt poor just not super rich, so having a flexible low oversight job like redaction for a newspaper, translator, postal delivery boy, remote programmer, etc. is fully within our hero's grasp.
    Second the travel problem can be fixed two ways that both have their own problems:
    1. Make it part of their job. Take a job that forces you to travel anyway and preferably with some personal freedom as in where like freelance truck driver, food delivery on a airplane, delivery driver, company representative, advisor in some very specific field(let's say weather damage to solar panels, but can be anything), etc. the problem here is that in such a job you're often at least somewhat restricted where and when you travel, although some of them actually give you a lot of freedom(for example emergency filler in a random field, academical hot shot, touring artist, etc.) there often are still limits.
    2. Just don't travel. Travel is a luxury for vigilantes not a law. If you have a rough enough neighborhood you can just say to the avengers that if they want your help saving the universe they will have to cover your travel expenses themselves.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Batman in black Ice Hockey armour and a truck with bat wings painted on is kind of hilarious, though.
    Certainly.
    I wouldn't complain if it came out.
    I will have to admit though that unless you use water dissolvable paint on your bat car painting them on is non-advisable, because you have a secret identity to keep up.
    I would probably just use black cardboard to make a bat wing motive and cover the features of my car.