Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
My point was that your interpretation of the rules seems to be based at least in part on your assumption that Chill Touch grants multiple charges, an assumption which seems to be based at least in part on your interpretation of the rules. Regardless, you can't hold the charge of a spell with multiple targets, and therefore Chill Touch clearly doesn't grant multiple charges. I keep on saying that, and you keep on ignoring it.
As said, either you get:
a) multiple charges
or
b) charges that hold longer for than a single touch attack.
I don't see any other valid interpretation for an instantaneous effect. If you have another valid option, I'm curious.

First of all, both Chill Touch and Scorching Ray only get one attack at their minimum CL. I don't see what that has to do with anything, but there's no difference between the two spells in that regard. Second of all, Scorching Ray says "You may fire one ray, plus one additional ray for every four levels beyond 3rd (to a maximum of three rays at 11th level)." and Chill Touch says "You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level." The wordings are almost identical. The only difference is that Scorching Ray explicitly requires you to use all of the attacks simultaneously. Notably, it doesn't grant you the ability to make all of the attacks simultaneously, nor does it say that the attacks need to occur when you cast the spell. For both of those, you need RC 136. Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, there are a few spell that function similarly to Scorching Ray but don't specify that all of the attacks need to be simultaneous, like Hailstones. Given that the wording is basically identical, I don't see why you're saying that they function in completely different ways.
While the effects of the spells may sound basically identical, there are mechanically not.
The problem is what the spells enable you to do. While Scorching Ray allows you to directly use rays (which bypasses the attack action declaration), for which it demands ranged touch attacks (as part of the effect), Chill Touch sole allows you to use a "melee touch" (action). The first attack is free due to the general touch spell rules, in the round you cast the spell. Any further "attack" also has to be "used", therefore requiring the regular actions required for it.
Producing multiple rays ( =multiple attack actions) is not the same as granting multiple (touch spell) uses (requiring a separate action).
You are treating their spell text identical, because you are used to touch spell giving a free attack on their cast. But that is not part of their effect text, it's the general Touch Spells in Combat rule. Scorching Ray produces attacks while Chill Touch enables you to do (touch) attacks. This is why the multiple attack rule doesn't work for Chill Touch (and other "touch spells"). Because Chill Touch never produces attacks/attack actions.

Still, the important thing here is that you can't hold the charge for Chill Touch. Therefore, none of the rules pertaining to using touch spells in later rounds would apply to it. The only way you could use all of the attacks granted is if you use them all in the same round that you cast the spell.
Why should the "holding the charge" rule not be available for Chill Touch? Nothing in the text of any touch spell talks about charges. So that argument doesn't hold water. As shown above, Chill Touch has either multiple charges or a special charge that doesn't deplete on first contact (when having enough caster level). Remind you of the instantaneous effect, so it has to leave a magical effect (charges) on you to work at all (for multiple attacks/effects). It doesn't have a duration.

PS: sorry for the late response, but I was short on time the past days. And deeper rule discussions always need some preparation time..^^