A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dead of Winter Mafia

Join the Discord here: https://discord.gg/gYm7jTkg

January 25

We need more samples. That is the only mission.

Wait. I should start from the beginning in case this is where you begin reading. My name is doctor Olivia Brown. I am with a group of survivors, cleverly named "the Village", who have survived this for... who knows how long now? Maybe going on two years? Early on, when the Zombies first appeared, everyone was in chaos. It was everyone for themselves and all that mattered was surviving. But now, two years in, things have settled. We know how to deal with the Zombies. Stay away from them, avoid going out unless it is absolutely necessary. Shelter with only the people you trust.

And that's the problem. We've started taking in new survivors from the surrounding area. All of them have come in separately, most of them around the 11th but some more trickled in after that. That was a bad idea. There's another group of survivors or more accurately killers, called "the Werewolves". Supposedly the name is because they only attack at Night and blend in with others during the Day. It's also because they wanted to be distinct from the group called "the Wolves" in the Walking Dead. Either way, they infiltrate groups and slowly kill their members, leaving only the ones interested in joining. And then they move on, to infiltrate and destroy others while using their food, shelter.

Everyone else thought the newcomers were fine. Yes, they had some odd names, or codenames, or whatever they went by. But we needed the people for my mission. I'm close to finding a cure and to do that I need samples of the dead. So fine, bring in others to fight the zombies for me to experiment on. Let the new people risk themselves. But today we found bodies. It was one of the new ones and one of our own. Slashes in a way to imitate claws. Well, these 'Werewolves' seem to be committed to their bit.

So, while I focus on saving the world, the others decided to deal with this issue. They say they are going to hold meetings and discuss who they think is responsible. And when they make a decision... well, let's just say I'm glad I don't have to deal with it. I'll be in my lab, working with the dead. They're much easier to deal with than the living.

CaoimhinTheCape (Village) and David Garcia (NPC) died

Welcome everyone! This is Mafia, a game of social deduction where you are assigned to either the Village or the Werewolves. As Village, there are more of you but you are unorganized - discuss to try and route out the killers in your midst. As Werewolves, there are only a few of you but you can talk to one another and plan your kills so that your group can eventually outnumber the Villagers.

Basic Overview

The game will be played in two phases.

First is the Discussion Phase (Day Phase) which lasts about 48 hours. During this time, everyone will discuss in the main thread who they think is Mafia. Villagers may only discuss in the main thread, while Wolves are allowed to speak in thread or their private discord server. Whoever has the most votes will be removed from the game and their alignment revealed. You can vote for someone by putting their name in red text. If you would like to change your vote, you should write your new vote in red and go back to your previous post to strike through your old vote. I will count each player's most recent vote when determining who will be lynched. When someone is lynched, you will be told their name and role, but not the number of votes cast against anyone.

In the case of a tie, whoever has been at the number of votes to lynch longer. So if Player A has 2 votes and then Player B receives 2 votes, Player A would be lynched. Continuing the example, if someone unvoted Player A instead (making it 1v2) and then someone votes Player A again (2v2), Player B would be lynched instead (due to the unvote).

There is one more piece to the Discussion Phase, specific to this game. Privately, you should tell me which location you would like to visit during the second phase, described below. You may change your mind up until the end of the Day Phase.

Second is the Scavenge Phase (Night Phase) which lasts about 24 hours. During this phase, the Werewolves may choose who they would like to kill. In a regular game, any Villagers with abilities would be able to submit their actions now. This game of Mafia will be different in that rather than individual people having powers, there are locations you can go to and collectively use a power. Each location will get a private thread for discussion and ultimately vote on how to use the power. For example, everyone at the hospital can discuss who they believe are Wolves, who they can trust, etc. and during this time vote on who they should use the Hospital's protection power on. Villagers may only speak in the Location that they selected, while Wolves may speak in their private discord server and their Location.

After the Scavenge Phase is over, all of the actions will resolve. I will give results to each location as applicable and the game moves back to the main thread where I reveal who died and the game picks up in a new Discussion Phase.

The game ends when all the Werewolves have been eliminated or there is no way to prevent the Werewolves from outnumbering the Village.

Other Rules/stuff:

Inactivity: If a player fails to post publicly over 2 full phases (a full phase being both Day and Night), they are considered inactive. Ideally, they would be replaced by a new player but if I cannot find a replacement in time they will be auto-lynched (removed from the game as if they had been killed). If you will be unable to get online to post in your games for some period of time, you should notify the narrator(s) in advance, either in-thread or via PM.

Discord: We will be using Discord for private communication. You'll need a free account, after which I can invite you to the game's server(s). If setting up a Discord account is an issue for you, but you would like to play, PM me and we'll see if we can work something out. I'll post the links to the Discord servers closer to game start.

Flavor Text: While I'm not going to post anything gory, this game is inspired by the Zombie/horror genre. Some of the narration may imply deaths that fit into the genre. If that's a problem for you but you still want to play, send me a message and I can make sure I stay away from anything past "so and so died". I'd much rather do simple narration than lose a potential player.

Location Overview/Notes

The following are the locations you can travel to during the Scavenge Phase. Each one has a unique power that activates at the end of the Night and allows you group communication with anyone there. If you do not send me any locations during the Discussion Phase you will default to choosing the Colony. You always know the players who have made the same location selection as you.

The Colony - You spend time helping the survivors at the colony. While you are here, choose an NPC survivor from the list. During the next Discussion Phase this NPC will support you, doubling the power of your vote as long as they are alive during that phase. The other players will not know that your vote counts as double. If more players choose to stay at the Colony than there are NPCs, the player here must all agree on how to pair up the remaining NPCs, leaving at least one person without the extra vote.

There are a few ways for how NPCs can die. First, if a player staying at the Colony is killed, whatever NPC they paired with will die as well. Second, the Mafia can <redacted>. An NPC will NOT die if the player they are paired with gets lynched.

Police Station - You spend time searching the police station for guns. While you are here, vote for a player to shoot or vote no kill. If any option has over 50% of the votes, the target will be killed. If no target has over 50% of the votes, then no one is killed by this action.

School - You spend time searching the school for information. While you are here, vote for a player to investigate. At the end of the Scavenge Phase, all players in this location will be told if the player is Village or Werewolf. On a tie, the host will randomly roll to decide which target is selected.

Hospital - You spend time searching the hospital for medical supplies. While you are here, vote for a player to protect. If that player is targeted by a kill during this Scavenge Phase they do not die. On a tie, the host will randomly roll to decide which target is selected.

Gas Station - You spend time searching the gas station for fuel. While you are here, vote on location to watch (from the Colony, Police Station, School, Hospital, Library, or Grocery Store). You will be told all players who were at the selected location and who they targeted, but not the results of the action. On a tie, the host will randomly roll to decide which target is selected.

Library - You spend time researching at the library. While you are here, vote on a location to empower (selecting from The Colony, Police Station, School, Hospital, Gas Station, Library, or Grocery Store). During the next Scavenge Phase, that location is empower and it's ability can be used twice during that Scavenge Phase. On a tie, the host will randomly roll to decide which target is selected.

People at an empowered location vote for two different options of what they would like to happen. For example, people at the police station can vote to shoot Player A and Player B but cannot vote to shoot Player A twice. Yes, you may empower the Library so that two locations can be empowered the next Scavenge Phase but you cannot double empower any one location.

If the Colony is empowered, then anyone there will have the chance to get 2 NPCs to help them vote (for a total vote power of 3). In this situation, we assign 1 NPC to everyone and then if there is enough assign a second to each person.

Grocery Store - You spend time searching the grocery store for supplies. At the beginning of the Scavenge Phase the host will roll randomly to determine what you find here and what you will be voting on (if anything). At the end of the Scavenge Phase, everyone here will receive feedback as appropriate. On a tie, the host will randomly roll to decide which target is selected.

The general group will not be informed of what option was given to anyone here. The options are:

1/16 - you find nothing
    2/16 - you find a gun and may choose a player to shoot
    2/16 - you find personal records and may choose a player to investigate
    2/16 - you find medical supplies and may choose a player to protect
    2/16 - you find fuel and may choose a location to watch
    2/16 - you find books and may choose a location to empower
    2/16 - you find walkie talkies and a permanent group chat is create between all players here.
    2/16 - you find NPC survivors equal to the number of players here. You may choose an NPC to help, who votes with you the next Discussion Phase. They will then join the Colony
    1/16 - you find exactly what you're looking for! select one of the other options for this location.

It should be noted that the options won't repeat. So, for example, if the roll for Night 1 says that you find medical supplies, the odds for the next Scavenge Phase change to 2/15 for almost everything and 1/15 for nothing, player's choice, and medical supplies. In another example, if you randomly roll "you find nothing" that means the chances of it coming up again is 0.

So, if you're interested in playing, just post in this thread to indicate that. If you have questions about Mafia in general or the specific rules of this game, feel free to ask!

Player List

1. Taffimai
    2. BatCatHat
    3. Snowblaze
    4. Rogan
    5. Valmark
    6. Supagoof
    7. AvatarVecna
    8. gac3
    9. Book Wombat
    10. Bladescape
    11. Flat_Footed
    12. Kish
    13. Libro
    14. Lady Serpentine

NPCs
    It doesn't matter who you pick, all NPCs are worth an extra vote. The names and occupations come from the board game this was inspired by.
    1. Mike Cho (Ninja)
    2. Alexis Grey (Librarian)
    3. Thomas Heart (Soldier)
    4. Maria Lopez (Teacher)
    5. Daniel Smith (Sheriff)
    6. Sparky (Stunt Dog)
    7. Janet Taylor (Nurse)
    8. James Meyers (Psychiatrist)
    9. Arthur Thurston (Principal)
    10. Annaleigh Chan (Lawyer)
    11. Carla Thompson (Police Dispatcher)
    12. John Price (Student)
    13. Edward White (Chemist)
    14. Ashley Ross (Construction Worker)
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-19 at 01:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Dead of Winter Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    Player List

1. Player 1
    2. Player 2
    Only two players, good thing I got here fast

Sign me up, please!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #3

I'm in. Should be fun to see how long my growing confidence last, until I ruin it with some major misread.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In, unsurprisingly. Now to actually read the OP.
    Werewolf games won: 14
    Werewolf games lost: 7
    Games as town: 12
    Games as neutral: 3
    Games as wolf: 6
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 10

I have no clue what Iím doing, but you still shouldn't trust me.

"When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable" ~ Nikolai Lantsov
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

<Snip>

It should be noted that the options won't repeat. So, for example, if the roll for Night 1 says that you find medical supplies, the odds for the next Scavenge Phase change to 2/15 for almost everything and 1/15 for nothing, player's choice, and medical supplies.

So, if you're interested in playing, just post in this thread to indicate that. If you have questions about Mafia in general or the specific rules of this game, feel free to ask!

Player List

1. Taffimai
    2. BatCatHat
    3. Snowblaze
    4. Rogan
    I'm in.

Question: will the nothing option be removed as well after the first appearance or will this chance remain?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    Okay, Snow is town this time. She reads the OP in advance instead of making a show of not knowing the setup.
    Last edited by Rogan; 2022-01-11 at 01:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in. Blah.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Question: will the nothing option be removed as well after the first appearance or will this chance remain?
    Yup. If the "nothing happens" option comes up, then it's guaranteed not to repeat.

8. - Top - End - #8

ClericGuy

Yup. If the "nothing happens" option comes up, then it's guaranteed not to repeat.
    Good to know. If course, never getting nothing is even better, but having this risk once is fine.

Other questions:
    The number of NPCs in the colony, do you need to go there to learn them or is there a counter available somewhere else?

Will you know who is on the same place by default? Or could someone go someplace and remain silent and anonymous?
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

More Mafia

9. - Top - End - #9

Supagoof, checking in.
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

10. - Top - End - #10

Speaking of the NPCs, will everyone know which players have NPCs supporting their votes?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Of course I'm in.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: AvatarVecna's Afterlife 3

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    you should probably just lynch me on principle.

12. - Top - End - #12

Other questions:
    The number of NPCs in the colony, do you need to go there to learn them or is there a counter available somewhere else?

Will you know who is on the same place by default? Or could someone go someplace and remain silent and anonymous?
    There will be a number of NPCs equal to the number of players, so I'll have a list available. Actually, I could be building out the list here, so I'll have that up in a bit.

If you go to a Location, you will know everyone else who selected to to go that location. People can stay silent, not anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Speaking of the NPCs, will everyone know which players have NPCs supporting their votes?
    By default, no. Using the current playerlist as an example, let's say that the players chose the following Night locations:

Colony - Taffimai, AvatarVecna
    Police Station - BatCatHat, Supagoof
    School - Snowblaze
    Hospital - Rogan
    Gas Station - Valmark

BatCatHat would know that Supagoof also went to the Police Station, but would not know where any of the others went. If Valmark (at the Gas Station) chose to watch the Colony, then he would know that Taffimai and AvatarVecna were there and by extension has a stronger vote.
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-11 at 03:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

By default, no. Using the current playerlist as an example, let's say that the players chose the following Night locations:

Colony - Taffimai, AvatarVecna
    Police Station - BatCatHat, Supagoof
    School - Snowblaze
    Hospital - Rogan
    Gas Station - Valmark

BatCatHat would know that Supagoof also went to the Police Station, but would not know where any of the others went. If Valmark (at the Gas Station) chose to watch the Colony, then he would know that Taffimai and AvatarVecna were there and by extension has a stronger vote.
    Okay, follow up question: will there be an open vote count and if there is, will it specify who the NPCs voted for (and on who's orders)?

14. - Top - End - #14

Okay, follow up question: will there be an open vote count and if there is, will it specify who the NPCs voted for (and on who's orders)?
    ...Undecided. I don't want to reveal who was voting on whose orders but I don't know if I want to give vote totals for each person. I gotta think on that. I'll let everyone know when I've made a decision.
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-11 at 03:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

ClericGuy

Is it important which NPC you pick? Or are they all identical mechanically?

Will a NPC survive it when the player they support gets lynched?

The werwolves have an unspecified way to kill NPCs. Will anything happen to a player currently allied with this NPC? When will town notice this NPC died?
    Show
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

More Mafia

16. - Top - End - #16

Is it important which NPC you pick? Or are they all identical mechanically?

Will a NPC survive it when the player they support gets lynched?

The werwolves have an unspecified way to kill NPCs. Will anything happen to a player currently allied with this NPC? When will town notice this NPC died?
    NPCs are all the same mechanically. They are just names taken from the board game that this is inspired by. (no need for more extra rules)

Yes, NPCs survive a lynch.

If you went to the colony and picked Mike Cho as your buddy, but Mike shows up dead in the morning then you stay alive but you have no one to improve your vote. NPC deaths are announced the same as player deaths.

17. - Top - End - #17

ClericGuy

If the colony is empowered, can the players there select two NPCs to gain additional votes?
    If yes, does everybody there have to get an ally before someone else can get a second?

Am I annoying with all my questions?
    Show

More Mafia

18. - Top - End - #18

If the colony is empowered, can the players there select two NPCs to gain additional votes?
    If yes, does everybody there have to get an ally before someone else can get a second?

Am I annoying with all my questions?
    Yes, empowered NPCs mean everyone gets two.

Yes, everyone has to get at least 1 if there's not enough to go around twice.

Not at all, it's good to get anything confusing/weird ironed out before the game starts. Rather have these come up now rather than when y'all are going after each other in game .

19. - Top - End - #19

ClericGuy

Not at all, it's good to get anything confusing/weird ironed out before the game starts. Rather have these come up now rather than when y'all are going after each other in game .
    That's what I assumed.
    And I'm glad for your clear responses and clarifications. It's nearly impossible to pin down every possible interaction and edge case in advance, but I'll gladly help find some things which might get relevant.

Therefore:
    I don't think I saw the tie rules for the day.
    If it's something else than random, how will NPC votes influence things?
    Show

More Mafia

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    Also In but probably won't read the OP until the last minute when I realize the game is starting and I have no idea how it works.

21. - Top - End - #21

Can the NPCs have silly names? I mean, if they have to be lugged around to lynch from the colony, it'd be fun. Names like...

Dumb Guy
    Whats hisname
    Yous Les
    Sugapoof - wait, how'd that one get on there?
    ---
    Offin dashower

Think of it.
    Last night the werewolves killed whats hisname
    Last edited by Supagoof; 2022-01-11 at 04:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Summary:

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

I think the idea is to use the NPC names from the board game. Btw, I'm calling dibs on Sparky as my buddy.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

23. - Top - End - #23

Dead of Winter? Should be interesting!
    Hoping I'll get paired with the Librarian.
    Rule Number One: Worship cookies!

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

24. - Top - End - #24

I don't know how this works but I'm in to redeem myself.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

25. - Top - End - #25

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    Dead of Winter? Should be interesting!
    Hoping I'll get paired with the Librarian.
    What kind of secret message are you hiding there..?

Another question:
    Night talk in the main chat is forbidden, right? Everyone is at different locations, after all.
    Show

More Mafia

26. - Top - End - #26

Check Book's extended signature before it changes!! There's a clue in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Summary:

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Check Book's extended signature before it changes!! There's a clue in there somewhere, I'm sure of it.
    You know what would be fun? If I didn't hide anything in my extended signature but in the spoiler pyramid.
    Rule Number One: Worship cookies!

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    You know what would be fun? If I didn't hide anything in my extended signature but in the spoiler pyramid.
    I ain't falling for that.

Again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Summary:

29. - Top - End - #29

Alright, I decided on not showing the final vote count. Reasoning is that I want getting that extra vote to be a strong option to pick so that there's at least some consideration compared to investigating someone or shooting someone.

I don't think I saw the tie rules for the day.
    If it's something else than random, how will NPC votes influence things?
    Whoever reached the number to lynch for longest. So, the example I put in the first post:

In the case of a tie, whoever has been at the number of votes to lynch longer. So if Player A has 2 votes and then Player B receives 2 votes, Player A would be lynched.

Continuing the example, if someone unvoted Player A instead (making it 1v2) and then someone votes Player A again (2v2), Player B would be lynched instead (due to the unvote).

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    I think the idea is to use the NPC names from the board game. Btw, I'm calling dibs on Sparky as my buddy.
    lol, Sparky is always the favorite. Very useful in game too, if I remember it right. Good search score.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    I don't know how this works but I'm in to redeem myself.
    For anyone confused by the rules I have, the short version is instead of power roles players choose what power they want to give input on. The goal is to have players make more decisions and have more debates with other players (agreeing on who to protect/investigate/etc.)