New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default As a sunlight sensitive person, I will be sad if they remove sunlight sensitivity

As a result of the fallout from my Multiple Sclerosis I have severe photosensitivity, I often find light painful. Sometimes a little painful, sometimes spend-the-rest-of-the-day-puking-in-the-dark painful. I like that I can play a character that is like me. I like that despite having some real limitations the characters are off having adventures. I like that I can turn my lived experience into RP to give my character more depth.

I will be sad if they remove it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: As a sunlight sensitive person, I will be sad if they remove sunlight sensitivity

If you want that drawback to be a defining aspect of your character, simply ask your GM to include it. You don't even have to be a specific race to roleplay it if you don't want to.

What WotC does in the default books and what you want your character concept to be don't have to be interdependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: As a sunlight sensitive person, I will be sad if they remove sunlight sensitivity

Quote Originally Posted by Lasker View Post
    As a result of the fallout from my Multiple Sclerosis I have severe photosensitivity, I often find light painful. Sometimes a little painful, sometimes spend-the-rest-of-the-day-puking-in-the-dark painful. I like that I can play a character that is like me. I like that despite having some real limitations the characters are off having adventures. I like that I can turn my lived experience into RP to give my character more depth.

Seems like you are a living example that this physical state does not need to come from being a non-human species.

As to whether D&D ought to have the option for playing with each character getting various physical (positive or negative or mixed) qualities, that's certainly a possibility (various other games, like GURPS, do so), but makes for a more complex character creation process.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree with Psyren.

Ultimately, the rules provide a framework for the game. But we are all expected to go beyond the rules and implement our own take on the game at our tables.

If the rules change, a conversation with your DM should be able to resolve any issues.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don’t know what would be stopping you from playing a character with sunlight sensitivity if they did remove it.

That would be like saying your character can’t have an eyepatch and disadvantage on perception checks because it’s not included in the Sailor: Pirate background.

If you want to play a character more like you, then play one. It’s just a game. :)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lasker View Post

I'll be sad about the removal too, but less personally. I like having [(sub-)species] interact with the world differently and/or get me thinking about aspects of the world and the mechanics differently.

For different reasons, we can ignore the retcon/alternate/errata (depending on how the implementation actually ends up, but it's sounding like an effective retcon for people who have the misfortune of using Beyond).

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSoul View Post
    I'll be sad about the removal too, but less personally. I like having [(sub-)species] interact with the world differently and/or get me thinking about aspects of the world and the mechanics differently.

For different reasons, we can ignore the retcon/alternate/errata (depending on how the implementation actually ends up, but it's sounding like an effective retcon for people who have the misfortune of using Beyond).
    Even if you use DDB and this update goes through retroactively, you can add a houserule condition to your character - or, you know, just toggle disadvantage manually when you're rolling attacks/perceptions in sunlight. Seriously, it's disadvantage on two things, it's not like you'll need advanced scripting or a CompSci degreee to implement
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Even if you use DDB and this update goes through retroactively, you can add a houserule condition to your character - or, you know, just toggle disadvantage manually when you're rolling attacks/perceptions in sunlight. Seriously, it's disadvantage on two things, it's not like you'll need advanced scripting or a CompSci degreee to implement
    Oh, we could always homebrew or house rule for everything in the entire book... it's just nice when the game actually gives interesting ideas and starting points. Losing differences between races partly means losing the interest of that race existing.

It's not about it being difficult to do. It's about the game giving something interesting instead of what amounts to a hat. Sure, not all races will have that... but that's a pro (degrees and types of differentiation).

And not everything is just advantage, and who knows if DDB will even be telling you what the race originally was like. (My trust for DDB at this point is exactly -- if not generously -- zero, to be blunt about biases!)
    Last edited by PhantomSoul; 2022-01-12 at 05:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh, we could always homebrew or house rule for everything in the entire book... it's just nice when the game actually gives interesting ideas and starting points. Losing differences between races partly means losing the interest of that race existing.
    If something interesting were removed I'd agree with you.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

If something interesting were removed I'd agree with you.
    “Interesting” is inherently subjective. I’ve already found several interesting things removed.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    “Interesting” is inherently subjective. I’ve already found several interesting things removed.
    And/or not-super-interesting things (e.g. stat bumps, which can be suggestive/informative at least) being removed (making it completely uninteresting and uninspiring).

But sunlight sensitivity? Yeah, that at least could be quite interesting: it has the potential to change how you play or to make you take advantage of opportunities you otherwise didn't have, or to build a direct narrative out of the mechanics.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

But you can still play with it if you want to. Do you want everyone to have to play with it because you find it interesting?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I really hope the existing options dont disappear, that was one of the things 5e was originally adamant on.
    We might not be getting more things like this, but at least keep the old ones around.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by arnin77 View Post
    But you can still play with it if you want to. Do you want everyone to have to play with it because you find it interesting?
    Speaking for myself, I want no one to be unable to play with it because it's been retconned. (Especially when it's the actual product they paid for.) Not the same thing!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Speaking for myself, I want no one to be unable to play with it because it's been retconned. (Especially when it's the actual product they paid for.) Not the same thing!
    Unless they change it to "You cannot play this race with sunlight sensitivity" then no one can't play with it.... they would just be removing it as a requirement...

16. - Top - End - #16

Unless they change it to "You cannot play this race with sunlight sensitivity" then no one can't play with it.... they would just be removing it as a requirement...
    If places like Beyond stop showing the original versions... (Which, as noted, isn't yet determined, but they don't exactly inspire confidence.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

If places like Beyond stop showing the original versions... (Which, as noted, isn't yet determined, but they don't exactly inspire confidence.)
    Roll a second dice on the table your laptop is on and use that as disadvantage; or just make a character sheet on roll20 and toggle disadvantage. It's just a game. if you want to play it a certain way; play it.

18. - Top - End - #18

Roll a second dice on the table your laptop is on and use that as disadvantage; or just make a character sheet on roll20 and toggle disadvantage. It's just a game. if you want to play it a certain way; play it.
    I mean the information being given at all on Beyond. The original version of the race alongside the v2. (As opposed to replacing the older versions -- and therefore removing the content you paid for and potentially specifically wanted, as well as meaning you won't find the original information -- as they've done in the past.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

New Heritage Feat: "Darkdweller": You have Sunlight Sensitivity. You gain no other benefits from taking this. You took it entirely because you wanted to have mechanical reinforcement of your roleplay.

/done
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    You took it entirely because you wanted to have mechanical reinforcement of your roleplay.
    That is how the game works, yes! (No blue text needed.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I still don’t see how that’s stopping you from playing with sunlight sensitivity if you want it. Is Beyond going to delete all instances of this from Google or 5eWikidot? It sounds like the monster race will still have it so it’s not being deleted entirely. Maybe ask for a refund if it’s that crucial? I mean, did you purchase the content or did you purchase access to the content. I don’t use beyond so I don’t know how that works but from what I hear there’s some customizable things you can do so I still don’t know how them changing something is stopping you from doing it.

I find it admirable that the OP wants to play with something that represents themselves and maybe they’d like more people to be aware of it… I just don’t think they should let the requirement removal deter them from continuing to do so.

22. - Top - End - #22

I still don’t see how that’s stopping you from playing with sunlight sensitivity if you want it. Is Beyond going to delete all instances of this from Google or 5eWikidot? It sounds like the monster race will still have it so it’s not being deleted entirely. Maybe ask for a refund if it’s that crucial? I mean, did you purchase the content or did you purchase access to the content. I don’t use beyond so I don’t know how that works but from what I hear there’s some customizable things you can do so I still don’t know how them changing something is stopping you from doing it.

I find it admirable that the OP wants to play with something that represents themselves and maybe they’d like more people to be aware of it… I just don’t think they should let the requirement removal deter them from continuing to do so.
    Quite agreed that the removal shouldn't block them from using an older version and/or homebrewing something with flavour and mechanics that appeal to them. I'm not saying that's false, it's just not what I'm commenting on; I'm commenting on (a) changes, and (b) probable implementations of those changes.

Back to the OP, though, it definitely sucks that WotC may be removing something that makes the game more appealing or makes a character more relatable. I guess it's 5e fever: the more they do, the more homebrew seems like an appealing option!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I mean the information being given at all on Beyond. The original version of the race alongside the v2. (As opposed to replacing the older versions -- and therefore removing the content you paid for and potentially specifically wanted, as well as meaning you won't find the original information -- as they've done in the past.)
    DND Beyond (or rather, Fandom) has always had an easily accessible page that tells you content can be changed, removed or otherwise made inaccessible with no warning or reason.

If you're interested in the original content, I'd highly recommend physical copies. The strength of a digital toolset is in ease of access not necessarily in keeping every recorded piece of content the edition has ever had.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    If you're interested in the original content, I'd highly recommend physical copies. The strength of a digital toolset is in ease of access not necessarily in keeping every recorded piece of content the edition has ever had.
    The strength of a digital toolset could be both. They just chose not to be.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

The strength of a digital toolset could be both. They just chose not to be.
    I think this would have more to do with their licensing agreement with WotC than anything else. My gut tells me that if WotC could magic errata's into existing books they would, they wouldn't have made the changes if they didn't prefer them over the previous iterations. DND Beyond is their official toolset where they have such an ability.

Or to put this another way - I don't think it needs to be. Those who are interested in removed or replaces content already have access to it (either physically or through memory where they can add it in themselves), those who aren't don't need it and those who come later will be ignorant that their was ever a previous iteration to be upset over. Offering a V1, V2 and V3 only offers to confuse a newcomer and bloat the search engine.

Don't ever forget that players are encouraged at every conceivable entry point to DND to make the game their own, to add, remove and change content as they prefer. Something changing in print is not a ban on you being able to use it going forward.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2022-01-12 at 10:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It'd be nice if D&D had something like a Merits & Flaws system from the World of Darkness, where you could take a penalty like Sunlight Sensitivity and gain points to spend on other benefits in exchange.

Unfortunately it does not, and I'm not convinced that saddling every member of a given race with the effect is the appropriate way to allow for representation of various disabled people.

27. - Top - End - #27

This.

You... agreed to their right to do that when you signed up for the service instead of buying your books outside it.
    If you contact customer service you might get a refund, which you can use to buy the static/dead tree editions.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28

This.

You... agreed to their right to do that when you signed up for the service instead of buying your books outside it.
    If you contact customer service you might get a refund, which you can use to buy the static/dead tree editions.
    Oh, there's no way in any of the nine hells I'd be using Beyond. I tried it out... NOPE. But others are on it and might have had more faith in them.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

What are you even talking about then - no one complained about beyond but you lol

Are you complaining about beyond for others who may or may not like the change that may or may not happen and even if it did there’s easy work arounds? Lol

30. - Top - End - #30

Oh, there's no way in any of the nine hells I'd be using Beyond. I tried it out... NOPE.
    Then why do you even-

But others are on it and might have had more faith in them.
    Then my statement applies to them, and honestly everyone. Read the terms of service for any digital platform before using it, people, and align your expectations accordingly.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy