New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default reference in signature

How do I refer to a post in my signature?
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: reference in signature

Quote Originally Posted by Smoutwortel View Post
    If you are thinking about a quote of the post, just go to reply with quote and copy the text to your signature.
    If you are thinking of something else, I'm not sure what you mean and you might need to clarify.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

It's worth noting that you can't include links in your posts until you have a certain number of posts (to limit the number of spammers we get on the forum). I presume this applies to your signature, as well.

That being said, if you go and make a ton of posts just to get over that number, expect to hear from the moderators, as that's also against forum rules.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    It's worth noting that you can't include links in your posts until you have a certain number of posts (to limit the number of spammers we get on the forum). I presume this applies to your signature, as well.

That being said, if you go and make a ton of posts just to get over that number, expect to hear from the moderators, as that's also against forum rules.
    Addendum. Real posts are fine. Theres no rule against meaningfully contributing to a conversation as fast as the post rate limit will allow you to, if you can find the conversations. Its just meaningless, empty posts that constitute spamming.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If you are thinking about a quote of the post, just go to reply with quote and copy the text to your signature.
    If you are thinking of something else, I'm not sure what you mean and you might need to clarify.
    That was exactly what I was refering to, thanks.
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

That was exactly what I was refering to, thanks.
    There is another way (which you might use if you are trying to reference a closed thread):

At the upper right corner of each post is a reply number (e.g. "#5" on the post I am quoting). It is also a link that shows only that post. In this case: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25332707&postcount=5. The (in this case) 8 digit number in the middle of that link (25332707) is the number you will need. You can either hover over the link and copy it down or follow the link and copy it out of the address bar.

Next, quote anyone. Or, if you are good at remembering things, here is what an empty quote looks like:

Code:
    [QUOTE=Rockphed;12345678] [/QUOTE]
    Put that inside your signature (or in a post if you are using this to quote a closed thread), replace the username (Rockphed in my example) and post number (12345678) as appropriate and copy/paste the text you want to quote between the [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE] tags. And voila, after way more work than you ever wanted to do you are now quoting a post.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2022-02-05 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to update the username in the quote :smallredface:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.