New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Help to increase the DC of this Poison

Just like the title says, I need help to increase the DC of this Poison

Drow Poison, Injury, Fort DC 13, unconscious 1 minute/unconscious 1d3 hours), 75 gp

I have no option to change any of the following (race,class) there is 1 feat available otherwise this must be done with gear.

I need the DC as high as possible

thankyou in advance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Help to increase the DC of this Poison

What's the class? What's the budget?

If you have sneak attack, there's venomous strike.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

+5 Assassination weapon enchantment
    Increases your poison DC by the weapon enhancement bonus (+5 in this example).

There are also some feats, but it is questionable if they justify their cost with the exception of a few.
    Here a link to a poison guide. It has most stuff regarding poisons

edit: if the +5 weapon is to expensive, start with a +1 Assassination weapon (+1 to DC) and upgrade it when you have more gold to spend.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    Not just a poison guide, the poison guide. Warmly recommended - partially responsible for my bronze medal in the Thayan Gladiator IC round. Akal Saris is brilliant.

It's very expansive though, and OP was interested in a very narrow task with very specific resources, so it might be easier to just let us know what the build is.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-01-13 at 04:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ask your DM if the 2nd party supplement Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's Guide is allowed.

This gives you a set of rules for using Craft: Poisonmaking with a bit more finesse (p. 119), allowing you, among other things, to increase the potency of your product.

In essence, every point of DC you add while crafting adds +2 to the crafting DC and +10% to the base cost (and accordingly time to craft increases too).
    Last edited by Dalmosh; 2022-01-13 at 04:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    What's the class? What's the budget?

If you have sneak attack, there's venomous strike.
    the build has 100K gp available
    and has sneak attack
    I will look into venomous strike

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    Increases your poison DC by the weapon enhancement bonus (+5 in this example).

There are also some feats, but it is questionable if they justify their cost with the exception of a few.
    Here a link to a poison guide. It has most stuff regarding poisons

edit: if the +5 weapon is to expensive, start with a +1 Assassination weapon (+1 to DC) and upgrade it when you have more gold to spend.
    Assassination weapon enchantment could be used

Not just a poison guide, the poison guide. Warmly recommended - partially responsible for my bronze medal in the Thayan Gladiator IC round. Akal Saris is brilliant.

It's very expansive though, and OP was interested in a very narrow task with very specific resources, so it might be easier to just let us know what the build is.
    it is a gestalt build with a lot of dips to do specifically what was wanted so race and class changes are off the table

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmosh View Post
    Ask your DM if the 2nd party supplement Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's Guide is allowed.

This gives you a set of rules for using Craft: Poisonmaking with a bit more finesse (p. 119), allowing you, among other things, to increase the potency of your product.

In essence, every point of DC you add while crafting adds +2 to the crafting DC and +10% to the base cost (and accordingly time to craft increases too).
    Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's Guide I will ask to see if can be used for this purpose

I forgot to note that the 1 feat can draw from both 3.x and pathfinder sources but the GEAR can only draw from 3.x sources

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    the build has 100K gp available
    and has sneak attack
    I will look into venomous strike

Assassination weapon enchantment could be used

it is a gestalt build with a lot of dips to do specifically what was wanted so race and class changes are off the table

Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's Guide I will ask to see if can be used for this purpose

I forgot to note that the 1 feat can draw from both 3.x and pathfinder sources but the GEAR can only draw from 3.x sources
    If you have the money for it, a +5 assasination weapon is the best you can do. Throw in virulent and toxic for good measure.

No single feat will increase your dc more than venomous strike, I believe. You could take poison expert for +1 if you're not sure about reliably getting sneak attack.

I should mention for good measure that you'll have a very hard time getting drow poison to work at high levels. If all you want is a poison that takes enemies out, there are better options.

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

If you have the money for it, a +5 assasination weapon is the best you can do. Throw in virulent and toxic for good measure.

No single feat will increase your dc more than venomous strike, I believe. You could take poison expert for +1 if you're not sure about reliably getting sneak attack.

I should mention for good measure that you'll have a very hard time getting drow poison to work at high levels. If all you want is a poison that takes enemies out, there are better options.
    virulent and toxic what book and page please ?

RE: drow poison to work at high levels. If all you want is a poison that takes enemies out, there are better options

well thematically the unconscious 1 minute/unconscious 2d4 hours effect of drow poison is basically all I was looking for sure there are poisons that deal ability damage ect, but I was not looking for that effect.

granted the bas Fort Dc 13 sucks and with feat+ weapon enhancement I am able to see that rise to DC 20 - but I grant you that if a creature has a fort save of anything over 30 and many will be over that, if not outright immune to poison - I understand the epic challenge to get the DC high enough to matter.

I am hoping to see a DC min of 30 and with my craft poison skill and other bonuses i could theoretically make it to DC 39 but that still may not be high enough

unless you know of an item that can boost the craft poison skill in addition to a masterwork artisan’s tools, +2 circumstance bonus on the check to craft poison?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am hoping to see a DC min of 30 and with my craft poison skill and other bonuses i could theoretically make it to DC 39 but that still may not be high enough

unless you know of an item that can boost the craft poison skill in addition to a masterwork artisan’s tools, +2 circumstance bonus on the check to craft poison?
    So again, that's only really going to help if your DM is amenable to Kingdoms of Kalamar poisoncrafting rules.
    In the core rules alone, pumping the skill sky-high will only let you increase the speed at which you brew this poison, but it won't change its potency.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess you could take the Leadership feat, and have a cohort that specializes in applying penalties to enemy saves? Doomspeak gives -10, Paladin of Tyranny gives -2, Hexblade with Dark Companion gives -2, and the Falcor Vestige gives -2.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

virulent and toxic what book and page please ?
    DoTU, p. 95.
    RE: drow poison to work at high levels. If all you want is a poison that takes enemies out, there are better options

well thematically the unconscious 1 minute/unconscious 2d4 hours effect of drow poison is basically all I was looking for sure there are poisons that deal ability damage ect, but I was not looking for that effect.
    I'd take a look at serpent kingdoms, p.150. There's lizardfolk poison with shorter durations but DC 17, and there's Sssartisss, which does paralasys/unconsciousness, with DC 20.

granted the bas Fort Dc 13 sucks and with feat+ weapon enhancement I am able to see that rise to DC 20 - but I grant you that if a creature has a fort save of anything over 30 and many will be over that, if not outright immune to poison - I understand the epic challenge to get the DC high enough to matter.

Not doable with any first party source, as far as I'm aware. Craft checks don't help you pump the DC up. If your DM lets you do that, and by that much, everything here got much easier - and you're probably fine without venomous strike. If you can use the rules for making cuwtom magic items, skill-boosting items are relatively inexpensive.

If you're using a quick method like fabricate to make the poisons, someone could cast guidance of the avatar on you.

My judgments and medals!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Just like the title says, I need help to increase the DC of this Poison

Drow Poison, Injury, Fort DC 13, unconscious 1 minute/unconscious 1d3 hours), 75 gp

I have no option to change any of the following (race,class) there is 1 feat available otherwise this must be done with gear.

I need the DC as high as possible

thankyou in advance
    Poison is one on my favorite things to toy with ingame... I once played a hunter who specialized in poison crafting which was fun. Had herbalism as skills he was good at... and I optimized the bootey out of my pets.

Anywho, you want to go with feats like:

Poison Expert
    Poison Master
    Poison Specialization

Gear:
    Assassination enchantment!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

You don't need +5. Take +1 Assassination and Greater magic weapon +5 oils or spells.
    Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

Ice for all and let no one be forgotten!
    Welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLIV: Ice-IX

Competition's medals.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

RE feats Poison Expert, Poison Master, Poison Specialization - unfortunately i only have 1 feat available

and it tentatively looks like the gm will approve the Kok,PG for the crafting poison effect so that helps boost that dc some

I will look into these sources, DoTU, p. 95., serpent kingdoms, p.150 to see if they can help

Thanks for the input all

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    You don't need +5. Take +1 Assassination and Greater magic weapon +5 oils or spells.
    Good thinking, loky. Should work.

RE feats Poison Expert, Poison Master, Poison Specialization - unfortunately i only have 1 feat available

and it tentatively looks like the gm will approve the Kok,PG for the crafting poison effect so that helps boost that dc some

I will look into these sources, DoTU, p. 95., serpent kingdoms, p.150 to see if they can help

Thanks for the input all
    You're welcome. Good luck!

My judgments and medals!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

How about the 3rd-party feats?

Poison Focus (Ronin Arts The Assassin's Guide to Poisons) +2 to the DC for all saving throw's against poisons from your preferred poison type; required Poison Use

Precision Poisoning (Bastion Press A Poisoner's Handbook) gives the poison you use a +2 circumstance bonus to its DC. You may use this feat only against those creatures whose physiology you know; required Dex 14 and 4+ ranks in Knowledge (physiology)

Strengthen Poison (Blue Devil Games Poisoncraft: The Dark Art) Craft (poisonmaking) check - for every 1 you exceed Craft DC for the poison in question, poison's Fort DC increased to 1; required 11 ranks in Craft (poisonmaking)