New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Non Magical item challenge

Hello everyone i'm new in this forum and my english it's not so good(sorry about that ).
    I'm here today because i'm running a low magic 3.5 campaign where my character had a little problem with magic(i cannot wear or active magic items,cast spells and so). After my group finish the most recent part of this history, we got a nice treasure and now everyone is spending this part of treasure in magic items and i do not know what i can buy. Almost every book is allowed, we are playing a modified verson of FR. The magic items are very rare and difficult to craft in this game so no one could get a item that require caster lvl 9+ to craft. But its still better have a magical item.

I have 200k GP
    My character its a 10th level Binder with high char and con.
    My ideas:
    Get some grafts(Feather wings and Clawed arm),
    Try to find some symbiots(psionic sinew and gutworm).
    Look for nice alchemicals and drugs(i have a huge list).
    Ask my friend(a smith) to craft a weapon, shield and armor with some special materials(thinking in Slade from Arms &Armor with adamantine for weapon).
    There are any templates that could be purchasable with gold?
    There something that i missing? Discard psionic items and shadow weave items for now.
    Edit: No ravenloft tech stuff.
    Last edited by Ysolet; 2022-01-13 at 04:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Non Magical item challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Ysolet View Post
    Hello everyone i'm new in this forum and my english it's not so good(sorry about that ).
    I'm here today because i'm running a low magic 3.5 campaign where my character had a little problem with magic(i cannot wear or active magic items,cast spells and so). After my group finish the most recent part of this history, we got a nice treasure and now everyone is spending this part of treasure in magic items and i do not know what i can buy. Almost every book is allowed, we are playing a modified verson of FR. The magic items are very rare and difficult to craft in this game so no one could get a item that require caster lvl 9+ to craft. But its still better have a magical item.

I have 200k GP
    My character its a 10th level Binder with high char and con.
    My ideas:
    Get some grafts(Feather wings and Clawed arm),
    Try to find some symbiots(psionic sinew and gutworm).
    Look for nice alchemicals and drugs(i have a huge list).
    Ask my friend(a smith) to craft a weapon, shield and armor with some special materials(thinking in Slade from Arms &Armor with adamantine for weapon).
    There are any templates that could be purchasable with gold?
    There something that i missing? Discard psionic items and shadow weave items for now.
    Edit: No ravenloft tech stuff.
    Get a Ur-preist to make a CL 9 command word custom item of Miracle
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

When I was thinking about team mundane, I found Troacctid's incredibly comprehensive good items list with appropriate filters. Either of these may be useful?

Grafts are an excellent cost sink. You might also consider buying some esoteric poisons.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

See if your DM will let you apply the Half-Golem template maybe? I remember that was prohibitively expensive. Binder abilities are all Su, so the magic immunity shouldn't affect you much, but it seems somewhat fitting for your character concept. Can't use magic? Can't be affected by magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Get a Ur-preist to make a CL 9 command word custom item of Miracle
    Will be hard to find one in a low Magic campaign but i Will try.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    When I was thinking about with appropriate filters. Either of these may be useful?

Grafts are an excellent cost sink. You might also consider buying some esoteric poisons.
    Wow! Sculpt Self feat! That was i am looking for.
    And with the custom option i can adquire some extraordinary or supernatural abilities. Thank you very much!
    I will try to find something in the mundanes items to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    See if your DM will let you apply the Half-Golem template maybe? I remember that was prohibitively expensive. Binder abilities are all Su, so the magic immunity shouldn't affect you much, but it seems somewhat fitting for your character concept. Can't use magic? Can't be affected by magic.
    For now its very expensive. But i Will keep in mind for the Future.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'm assuming you already have a towel?

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Memes aside I’ll recommend something non-magical that’s possibly going to help. OA has a Katana (by item rules that can be changed to any two handed weapon) for 9k that has a non-magical +2 enhancement bonus to attack and magic. Might be useful

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood has battery-powered Devices (yes, with a capital D) that are non-magical, mad-science versions of magic items. So a Device wand of fireball would be a long-barreled stick with a bunch of wires hooked up to a fuel cell and a small reservoir of small, incredibly dense pellets that it fires off when you activate it that explode on impact. Not affected by SR or magic immunity, they work in antimagic and dead magic areas, and they can't be dispelled by most magical means. However, the fuel cells are quite expensive, though they are reusable.

Join the mad-science side! They have cookies non-magical magic!

Also, get lots of alchemical items and a gnome calculus, which is a special type of sling from the Arms & Equipment Guide. There're tons of fun alchemy items out there, including healing salves, although you have to be a spellcaster to make them (which is stupid) even if you take ranks in Craft (Alchemy) (which is stupid).
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-01-14 at 02:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Dragon 358 had a bunch of crafting additions that could be added to weapons and armour,
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood has battery-powered Devices (yes, with a capital D) that are non-magical, mad-science versions of magic items. So a Device wand of fireball would be a long-barreled stick with a bunch of wires hooked up to a fuel cell and a small reservoir of small, incredibly dense pellets that it fires off when you activate it that explode on impact. Not affected by SR or magic immunity, they work in antimagic and dead magic areas, and they can't be dispelled by most magical means. However, the fuel cells are quite expensive, though they are reusable.

Join the mad-science side! They have cookies non-magical magic!

Also, get lots of alchemical items and a gnome calculus, which is a special type of sling from the Arms & Equipment Guide. There're tons of fun alchemy items out there, including healing salves, although you have to be a spellcaster to make them (which is stupid) even if you take ranks in Craft (Alchemy) (which is stupid).
    How exactly do those work anyway? Like whats the price increase over normal magic?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Also, how do you make a non-magical Charm Person? A non-magical Contingency?
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    High-frequency whine that causes a certain lobe in a person's brain to become more plastic for a while, making them more receptive to suggestions from those who are aware of this condition and can take advantage of it

A device set to trigger another device when certain measurable conditions are fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

13. - Top - End - #13

How exactly do those work anyway?
    It's magic mad science! If it made sense, it'd just be regular science.

Like whats the price increase over normal magic?
    For the Devices themselves, no extra charge (and since they're not magical, 1/3 crafting costs and no XP costs involved), but they require fuel cells, which tend toward the expensive side, and they are either limited use (with a certain number of charges upon creation) or have other limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Hypnosis? I'd say a steampunk pocket watch that you can use to hypnotize people would be the most appropriate.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-01-19 at 10:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

It's magic mad science! If it made sense, it'd just be regular science.

For the Devices themselves, no extra charge (and since they're not magical, 1/3 crafting costs and no XP costs involved), but they require fuel cells, which tend toward the expensive side, and they are either limited use (with a certain number of charges upon creation) or have other limitations.

Hypnosis? I'd say a steampunk pocket watch that you can use to hypnotize people would be the most appropriate.
    That sounds a lot like iron kingdoms actually

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

How about the Chaos Flask and Shapesand? They aren't magical - they're alchemical. (Cost 100 gp)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I've added a new Not Technically Magic Items filter to my spreadsheet inspired by this thread. It might prove helpful.

However, I'll also point out that there doesn't seem to be anything stopping you from buying magic items for others to use on your behalf, be they wands, scrolls, or whole-party items like the horn of plenty or greater vestments of power.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Grafts are for sure a good idea. Hirelings too, if you wanna get cheesy.

Have you considered just straight up taking Vow of Poverty, from book of exalted deeds? I'm not sure it'd work well for you, especially given how much money you have when compared to your level, but with no access to magic items it's worth considering. you could also spend all your money on none-item stuff by level 12, and then take it.

There are also special materials, some of which have way more impressive powers than adamentine and the like. One that jumps to mind is pandemonic silver from Complete Warrior. It largely depends on the party and its tactics, but if you can keep your distance from your none-melees and your melees have fear immunity, for example, it's pretty good. Great, with control winds and such.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

18. - Top - End - #18

If you do decide to go with grafts, a Device version of this is most certainly something to go for, with a built-in bioelectric fuel cell to power it. It's an amazing item for offense, defense, utility, and mobility, one of the absolute best items pre-epic, and it's cheaper to craft as a Device than as a magic item, given the 1/3 crafting cost instead of 1/2. Boost its ML if you can, because that skyrockets its effectiveness immensely.

[edit] Just saw the edit to the OP. Can you use psionic versions of magical items, or are they 100% out? Because the psychoactive skin of proteus is psionic, not magic, and there are rules in the MIC for crafting psionic versions of magic items if you want to try other items that way.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-01-19 at 03:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

If you do decide to go with grafts, a Device version of this is most certainly something to go for, with a built-in bioelectric fuel cell to power it. It's an amazing item for offense, defense, utility, and mobility, one of the absolute best items pre-epic, and it's cheaper to craft as a Device than as a magic item, given the 1/3 crafting cost instead of 1/2. Boost its ML if you can, because that skyrockets its effectiveness immensely.
    OP already said devices are not allowed. Something tells me homebrewed item alterations are probably not allowed either.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    OP already said devices are not allowed. Something tells me homebrewed item alterations are probably not allowed either.
    Check the edit, por favor.