New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Why haven't we made artificial chocolate yet?

We've got artificial banana flavouring. We've got artificial vanilla essence. We've got the capability to synthesize new chemicals and polymers. We can literally make E. coli spit out Insulin.

So why haven't we been able to create E. coli that create artificial cocoa butter?
    Last edited by Accelerator; 2022-01-14 at 12:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Why haven't we made artificial chocolate yet?

We already have artificial chocolate... it's usually called white chocolate!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Actually it's usually called "carob", and it's not that good a match. But then, neither is artificial banana flavour when compared to real bananas.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2022-01-14 at 07:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Actually it's usually called "carob", and it's not that good a match. But then, neither is artificial manana flavour when compared to real bananas.
    There are few things I find as distasteful as anything that is "banana-flavoured" that is not actually banana.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Actually it's usually called "carob", and it's not that good a match. But then, neither is artificial manana flavour when compared to real bananas.
    Carob is not synthetic - it is just a different plant with kinda, sorta similar flavour, if you squint your taste cups just right.

I would guess that what gives cocoa its taste might be more complicated (for example a mixture of many substances) or it is not yet commecially viable to pursue the method of synthesizing it.

Artificial vanilla essence was very simple as it all boiled down to a single substance. The key to banana flavour was also a single, specific substance. Insulin is a highly sought and very expensive medical supply, so it was very much worth it to find a method of creating it artificially.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

But then, neither is artificial banana flavour when compared to real bananas.
    That's because artificial banana flavor was designed to taste similar to the banana cultivar that was popular at the time, and said cultivar was subsequently wiped out by disease and replaced by a somewhat different tasting cultivar.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2022-01-14 at 08:58 AM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    That's because artificial banana flavor was designed to taste similar to the banana cultivar that was popular at the time, and said cultivar was subsequently wiped out by disease and replaced by a somewhat different tasting cultivar.
    Which is actually a fairly cyclic event as pretty much all bananas in the international trade are from seedlings coming in the end from a single chosen tree multiplied over and over. So once there is a disease capable of affecting those industrial bananas, it spreads like a wlidfire.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    There is some disagreement on the matter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    There are few things I find as distasteful as anything that is "banana-flavoured" that is not actually banana.
    Have you tried chocolate-flavoured ice-cream?

Seriously, the stuff they made when I was a kid was nothing short of awful.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

A few weeks ago, I was in the cereal aisle at the grocery store, and saw "Special K, with chocolatey pieces". See, they couldn't call them "chocolate pieces", because they weren't chocolate: Chocolatey, apparently, is a substance made from cocoa powder infused in some other high-melting-point fat instead of cocoa butter. In other words, what you're calling "artificial chocolate".

It wasn't a very good approximation. I suspect that they could do better, but I also suspect that an actual good approximation to cocoa butter would be more expensive than the real thing, which defeats the whole point.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

We already have.

Strictly speaking, 'compound chocolate' [cocoa powder + butter + sugar] is artificial. This level of 'fakeness' can increase if said compound is 'extended' by replacing some cocoa with carob and the butters with margarine. Sugar already had a 'substitute' - sugar beet [this one being such a good one we don't even see it as one now] or perhaps corn syrup. You can tell this when you eat very cheap chocolate - lots of subsitutes and lots of filler.

Here's an interesting article from 1989 [!] talking about the subject.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...660-story.html

However, I shall argue that it's simple economics which has halted it's development and rollout. Natural cocoa is cheap and plentiful enough that the artificial variants are not viable as a product. Ersatz, after all is about making shift with what was on hand when the normal items were not an option...
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

'This is my truth, tell me yours.' - Nye Bevan

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A few weeks ago, I was in the cereal aisle at the grocery store, and saw "Special K, with chocolatey pieces". See, they couldn't call them "chocolate pieces", because they weren't chocolate: Chocolatey, apparently, is a substance made from cocoa powder infused in some other high-melting-point fat instead of cocoa butter. In other words, what you're calling "artificial chocolate".

It wasn't a very good approximation. I suspect that they could do better, but I also suspect that an actual good approximation to cocoa butter would be more expensive than the real thing, which defeats the whole point.
    Europe enacted some laws on the subject years ago. You can sell a product as chocolate, as long as 95% of its vegetable fat content is cocoa butter (there's a list of which other fats are allowed for the 5%). Some see it as a step down in chocolate quality, but it's also true that chocolate creams need something other than cocoa to "feel" right, like the traditional hazelnut oil in the Gianduia chocolate.

Nutella is a famous variant of Gianduia cream that uses too much hazelnut and palm oil compared to cocoa to be sold as chocolate in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blobby View Post
    Sugar already had a 'substitute' - sugar beet [this one being such a good one we don't even see it as one now] or perhaps corn syrup.
    Considering that sugar beets are one of the two primary sources of sugar we have, I would not call it a substitute honestly.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, sugar from sugar beets is exactly the same thing as sugar from sugar cane. You could call HFCS a "substitute", or worse, any of the various noncaloric sweeteners, but sucrose is sucrose.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Considering that sugar beets are one of the two primary sources of sugar we have, I would not call it a substitute honestly.
    Sugar beet originated as a substitute for sugar cane, which at that point primarily was supplied by the West Indies and Brazil - and thus in the hands of the French, British and Portuguese. The first real fillip to the industry came during the Napoleonic Wars, when the British held a near-monopoly of cane production and blockaded continental Europe.

So I say again. 'Sugar beet proved such a good substitute we don't even see it as one now'. Partly because the substitute has taken over the original to the extent we think of beet as sugar.

[C'mon... you literally quoted my answer to a point you then made... *rolls eyes*]
    My online 'cabinet of curios'; a collection of seemingly random thoughts, experiences, stories and investigations: https://talesfromtheminority.wordpress.com/

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

So I say again. 'Sugar beet proved such a good substitute we don't even see it as one now'. Partly because the substitute has taken over the original to the extent we think of beet as sugar.

[C'mon... you literally quoted my answer to a point you then made... *rolls eyes*]
    Should we roll our eyes right back at you? That sugar beet was a substitute for sugar cane, I don't think is in dispute. That the sucrose from sugar beets was ever seen as not actually sugar (in the English language), is much less clear, and requires evidence. Statements about sucre or Zucker aren't quite the same thing.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, that's technically correct. I grant that. But....

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Yeah, sugar from sugar beets is exactly the same thing as sugar from sugar cane. You could call HFCS a "substitute", or worse, any of the various noncaloric sweeteners, but sucrose is sucrose.
    No, it's not *exactly* the same. Chefs, bakers etc will say there's a little bit of difference between them regarding taste etc.

'Cane sugar' was the original 'sugar'. Beet came along later.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

No, it's not *exactly* the same. Chefs, bakers etc will say there's a little bit of difference between them regarding taste etc.
    They may say there's a difference, but that doesn't mean there is a difference. Has anyone demonstrated the ability to reliably tell the difference between sugar cane sugar and sugar beet sugar in blind taste tests?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Okay, that's technically correct. I grant that. But....

'Cane sugar' was the original 'sugar'. Beet came along later.
    Chemically, there is no difference between the sucrose that comes from cane and beets, there might be different impurities in the unrefined sugar, but once it's refined there is no difference whatever, there are almost no impurities in white sugar, it's 99.999 % sucrose.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I'm no way able to really understand the scientific reports Mr Google has shown on me on the topic, but the main thing which was a take-away from it was that yes, folks can tell the difference between cane and beet if it's presented in a relatively 'natural' form - ie such as a topping on a churro. But there's not much in it, and even less when you're cooking.

Which is why I said it was a substitute which turned out to be an excellent alternative.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm no way able to really understand the scientific reports Mr Google has shown on me on the topic, but the main thing which was a take-away from it was that yes, folks can tell the difference between cane and beet if it's presented in a relatively 'natural' form - ie such as a topping on a churro. But there's not much in it, and even less when you're cooking.

Which is why I said it was a substitute which turned out to be an excellent alternative.
    No. The same thing is not a substitute for itself.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

But it isn't the exact 'same thing'. Pretty close, and when developed further even closer. But not identical in every respect.
    Last edited by Mr Blobby; 2022-01-17 at 12:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Wine tasters also say they can taste all kinds of things about wines, but which has not been shown when they don't know what they are drinking.

While cooks and bakers probably are the most familiar with sugar, they still have previous expectations how something will taste if they know what ingredients went into it.
    It tastes better or worse because they want it to taste better or worse. Not because it's different.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't looked too closely into who wrote this article and who funded them, but it seems to say there's a difference in how cane and beet sugar behave in the kitchen:
    SUGAR, SUGAR / Cane and beet share the same chemistry but act differently in the kitchen

Here's a few papers from the National Library of Medicine - PubMed (have these papers been peer-reviewed? I don't know):
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25124655/: Blind Study: cane sugar and beet sugar smell differently, but taste nearly the same if wearing nose clips
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25308166/: Blind Study: the sugar types are more obvious in syrups, less obvious in cookies
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25308071/: Mixed Study: People significantly prefer orange beverage with cane sugar over beet sugar when they know which is which, less so when they don't.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if it's still true with what's on the shelf nowadays, but: About 17 years ago, I was having trouble with a candy recipe. The sugar wasn't reaching the right consistency after cooling from the target temperature back to room temperature. The recipe was written for cane sugar, and I was using beet sugar. I searched the local supermarkets and bought a bag of pure cane sugar, and it worked exactly as the recipe said it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    I don't know if it's still true with what's on the shelf nowadays, but: About 17 years ago, I was having trouble with a candy recipe. The sugar wasn't reaching the right consistency after cooling from the target temperature back to room temperature. The recipe was written for cane sugar, and I was using beet sugar. I searched the local supermarkets and bought a bag of pure cane sugar, and it worked exactly as the recipe said it should.
    The difference is in the number of neutrons in the atoms of carbon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose#Cane_versus_beet

It is difficult to distinguish between fully refined sugar produced from beet and cane. One way is by isotope analysis of carbon. Cane uses C4 carbon fixation, and beet uses C3 carbon fixation, resulting in a different ratio of 13C and 12C isotopes in the sucrose.
    This is an almost homeopathic level of difference.

The possibility of impure sucrose cannot be eliminated, but unlike salt I am unaware of any commonly used additives.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2022-01-17 at 04:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Honey and maple syrup are also substitute sweeteners. Also, Stevia if you're looking for a natural zero-cal variant.

Stevia would most definitely be a substitute by any definition, I think. I cannot discern beet vs cane sugar by taste, but I can certainly distinguish artificial sweeteners from the real thing, as well as different artificial sweeteners from one another. For instance, Erythritol has a very distinct "cool" feeling, more so than other sugar alcohols.