New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Shahar, World's Greatest Detective IC: A Letter from a Friend

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show

It was like any other day at Fortune's Wind. Shahar practiced her instruments with Delilah, had lunch with Polly who was feeding their six cats Claw, Teeth, Pounce, Bite, Mr. Whiskers, and all of their mother, Tor, who was very old.

Then it was a bit of combat training with grandma Zariel, who was always happy to spend time with Star (and maybe beat her up a little).

She prepared dinner with Mávro, who was distracted because Gina was expecting to be visiting from her alienist office further into the city, and Mávro was practicing speaking affectionately in Common.
    "Hello, daughter. Hi, daughter. Gina. How are you. Gina, I am so happy to see you. Gina, you are my daughter and I love you."
    Mávro sighed. "It never sounds right."
    Mávro was so distracted that Star was able to sneak in some actual flavor.

After dinner Star took Aklah, Ishat and Rawr out for a fly over the forest, Star on Aklah's back. They flew until it was too dark to see properly, and when they came back Leff had a letter for Star.
    "This came in the mail."

Spoiler: Letter from Tanya
    Show

Hey, Star.
    I know we were scheduled to meet up over Dream in about a month, but I don't think this should wait.
    My dad got fired. He's taking it really hard. The librarian guy found an old document that I guess the school thinks he copied his thesis off of. He didn't, he'd never seen it before! The library's just being organized for the first time, how could he have...
    Look, I'm sorry. I... I was wondering if you could come take a look. But I don't want to call too much attention to this and get people angry at my dad who don't need to be, so if you could leave anyone too famous behind I'd appreciate that.

Sorry to bother you like this,
    Tanya
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shahar, World's Greatest Detective IC: A Letter from a Friend

First thing upon getting back Shahar hugged her mother, giving her a peck on the cheek before grabbing the letter and opening it with a dagger.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I figured letters can come in envelopes even in the fake medieval fantasy.

Reading through the letter, Shahar gasped.
    "I-I need to leave! Right now!" and bolted to her room to first pack up what she could comfortably carry then fetch a map to take with her for when she was traveling.

Or she would have until she remembered that it was goddamn far on foot, and went back to her mom.
    "Hey, is teleportation conspicuos?" Shahar asked without context.

Show
    I couldn't think of a good reason to not ask.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Leff chuckled. "Where are you going, Star?"

She asked, because she didn't read her daughter's mail.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Neverwinter! Tanya needs me!" Shahar explained impatient "You won't tell mom and grandma, right? They'd want to intervene and Tanya said to not drag anybody famous in" she looked around with a conspiratorial look learned from watching Eris sneak up on Leff when the latter was working.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Relax, Star."
    Leff got out some chalk. "The teleportation circle at Neverwinter is used by loads of travelers, it won't draw any suspicion at all." She gave Shahar a kiss on the head.
    "And I know you can handle it."
    She started drawing a circle sequence.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Shahar helpfully jumped in the middle of the circle while Leff scribed it on the ground.
    "I know I can. I... Uh... Tell mom I'll be back soon, please" she said wistfully.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll tell her you're visiting Tanya, but I won't say there's trouble," Leff said. Then she winked. "Because there's nothing going on over there you can't handle."

Then Shahar was on fire.
    That was okay, though, because after that she was stepping out into Neverwinter's busy port, where the river met the sea and travel was set up. She was approached by a bored-looking graycloak with a pen and pad.
    "Welcome to Neverwinter, the Jewel of the North. I'll need your name and business in our fair city."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Shahar smiled brightly at the graycloak.
    "Hi! Happy to meet you!" she offered a hand to shake "My name is Shahar and I'm only passing through! I think! I know I'm not staying right now, at least. I'm going to Wein House"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

His hands were full, so he just penciled in rich student. "Alright, enjoy your day." And he waved her on into the city proper.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you! Have a smile!" and Shahar smiled, prancing past the guard into Neverwinter. First thing she did was take the city in- it wasn't the first time she visited it, but it was the first time she was doing it alone.

It all felt new and wonderful, except for the reason she had come in. But she knew her and Tanya together could handle that.

Homewever she needed to grab a horse, as it was already nighttime and walking the whole way there would be tiring. She started looking for one to rent, or for a carriage to drive her there during the night at least.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The port area was built around the warm river. It was why the place was called Neverwinter. Even this far north, the warm river coming down from Mount Hotenow kept the city temperate with no snow.

Shaundakul Stables were fairly close to castle Never, and the stablemaster was very happy to continually recommend a ride in a carriage pulled by actual live tigers.
    But they also had horses.
    "Oh, you just want to head to Wein? Well, there's going to be a group of students heading there in the morning. We have a full wagon that leaves the walls at dawn, only five copper to ride. But if you're in a rush, my tigers can get you there before first light! Five gold!"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Shahar looked at the tigers, evaluating wether to pet them or not. Being used to Aklah made those tigers look like little cuties.

"Is a driver included in the five gold carriage? Also are the tigers friendly?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll drive you myself! And they're pretty friendly, when they've been fed. Speaking of..." he reached into a bucket and pulled out a few dead hares. "Chow time!" He threw them to the tigers, who pounced and ate up every sliver of meat on the conies.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Ahwwww just like my sister. Except that she likes to stab and paralyze the deers before eating them while still alive and unable to stop her. I will pay the five gold" Shahar fished out her gold, counting five to pay the stablemaster.

"Three now, two when I get there?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

His lips twitched.
    "If you like, certainly. I'll get the carriage ready and meet you just outside."

Spoiler: Insight DC 13
    Show
    He's feeling minorly insulted – like "you don't think I'm good for my promises?"
    But is willing to write it down as a cultural difference.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright! I should visit Neverwinter more often" Shahar patiently waited for the tigers to be done snacking before slowly stepping closer and trying to pet one. She didn't wanna exit the stables before being able to say that she pet a tiger.

Show
    And let's face it, all felines act the same. It's only their size and ability to kill that changes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Shahar scritched a tiger's head and pet it, and the tiger's tail switched as it contemplated killing her.
    Then it decided not to and licked the back of its paw to groom itself, indifferent to her presence.

And with the moon high in the sky and the air warm with distant volcanic heat, they were off! Heading out into the night pulled by TIGERS!
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Shahar stared at the tiger disappointed. But it was still soft fur so she got out with the small win and waited.

"Wo-hoo!" Shahar exulted when they were on the road. Looking out into the night sky, she murmured "Wait for me, Tanya"

But, since Shahar was determined to not rest until she met up with her friend, she called out to the stablemaster.
    "Hey, uhm... I'm sorry, I haven't got your name. I'm Shahar. Say, is there a reason we should be silent or could I sing a song or something else to pass the time?" she inquired "I figure the road's safe but it can't hurt to ask"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2022-01-14 at 07:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah... you can sing a song if you like. M'name's Canter. Brendan Canter." He didn't use reins or a whip... seemed like the tigers just knew how to follow the road.
    "So I take it you're a student over at Wein House?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

"Nope" Shahar shook her head "I'm visiting a friend of mine who's a student there, but I'm homeschooled" she clarified "Her father teaches there and he's in a bad spot, so I want to try and help" and then she whipped out her hurdy-gurdy.

Welcome, welcome, to the show of my life
    Name's Shahar Lelahinn
    Bear it in mind, 'cause you'll hear it in life

Archdevil for a grandma
    Zariel's my teacher
    Beats me up twice a day
    Lovingly teaches the rest of the day

Delilah's my teacher
    Notes are her work
    And magic she is
    Atop a pegasus
    She guidances me

My sister Aklah
    Is aggressive and protective
    My siblings Ishat and Rawr
    Are like my moms

Smart
    Caring
    Powerful
    Determined
    Beautiful

These are the Lelahinns
    Shahar's the name
    Pride of Fortune's Wind

Tanya's father, wounded by injustice
    I will find the culprits
    Reveal the dark secrets
    And give him back his place!

Show
    Performance!

(1d20+5)[21]

She sang all of that with a foot on the edge of the couch, striking an heroic pose. Shahar was the bard that sang her own song.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The stablemaster hummed along, then at the end of the song seemed to think.
    "Wait, Lelahinn? You're Eris and Leflabah Lelahinns' kid?"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Yuuuuup. Blood of their blood and all that" Shahar leaned over with her head out of the carriage to talk to Brendan "You're looking at the one that will one day stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them! Family power!"

Show
    I think that ship sailed, Shahar. Aklah got to do family power for longer.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Whether or not the ship sailed, Brendan set down three gold coins within reach from the back of the carriage.
    "Your mothers saved my husband. He's a tiefling, like your parents. One of them? I was never clear on that. Zariel's cult wanted to kill him, and... well, now he's safe. So this ride's on the house."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"One of them" Shahar nodded, gracefully retrieving the gold- she had been teached the value of money and three gold coins were a big deal for her current finances "And I'm glad you can live happily with your one true love. What's he like?" she asked, wagging her tail.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, we met about twenty years ago. We were just getting started dating when all that crazy stuff happened. He's actually an explorer, he's the one who found these tigers as cubs, raised ol' Killer and Stripes here by hand."
    By the sound of his voice, he was smiling.
    "Oh. How about you? Anyone special in your life?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Not yet" Shahar slumped back in her seat "But I know my true love is out there and I'll find them. Like my aunts or my moms found each other! But hopefully without the attack on their city" she smiled wistfully.

Show
    I like to think that 'aunts' are basically the rest of Fortune's Wind named people who aren't blood-related or with a clearer family bond.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Canter brought her past a field where about forty rabbits were hopping around while a goblin with a pen and paper was chasing them scribbling things down hastily.

And in the distance she could spot a stone tower.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"Is that... Normal around here?" Shahar asked pointing at the goblin... Seemingly taking notes about bunny hops.
    "And that tower is Wein House?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"It's one of the buildings. I think mostly faculty are there." More buildings started coming into view, even a schoolside town.
    "And I don't know, I think I've seen this once or twice on the way down here."
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll ask my friend about it" Shahar said, leaning over the entrance to look at the little town "As soon as I find her, at least"

Show
    Would Shahar know where exactly Tanya lives?