New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Massed Summons From a Single Spell?

I love summoning spells. They're so versatile, and always useful. I want to make a Druid character, or possibly some other caster like a Sorcerer, who is built around summoning as many creatures as possible. Not just summoning as often as possible, summoning as many distinct creatures as possible. He'll be a wannabe overlord, obsessed with having his army of minions do everything for him.

I won't build my entire character around just summoning only, but I want it to be the default response to a lot of problems. Running away? Drop the largest creature I can in the path of the guys chasing. Looking for a secret door? A swarm of rats will scurry into each corner of the room. Keep watch? I'm sure there's a long-duration summoning spell that'll make a lot of noise. I'm not playing a high-tier campaign so I don't mind burning a few feats just so I can dump a full bag of miniatures on the board in a single round.

And so, my question: How can I summon as many different creatures as possible, with a single spell? I know the Summon Monster/Nature's Ally spells can get out at least 2 weak creatures per round, but otherwise there's very little wiggle room. Ideally, I'd like to summon 10 creatures at once, with a SL no higher than 6. But that's just an arbitrary limit I put on myself to test the waters. I would also accept ways to extend summoning spells, and other types of spells with more than 2 summoned monsters at once. I haven't looked outside of Core much, but everything is allowed in my games.

And no, Summon Swarm doesn't count. It may create a bunch of animals, but the whole swarm is classified as one creature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Massed Summons From a Single Spell?

Regal Possession which is a 3rd level spell in the spell compendium giving you 1 horse per caster level to be a wall of flesh.

Useful in things like alleys, hallways or cave tunnels where you are trying to slow down enemies.

But also weird combinations like have your wizard cast this 3rd level spell, and your cleric cast the 4th level wall of sand on top of it. Now unless the enemy has freedom of movement the enemy would normally find it hard to move for wall of sand is so elite. But even if they could move due to a high strength in this maze like spell, they have to kill the horses first and if you stack the horses on top of each other prior to the wall of sand you can only kill one horse per round (and there is still a 50% miss chance due to total concealment, plus the cover bonus) and the next round they can only move 5 feet due to the full round action movement clause, before another horse blocks their path.

Likewise the horses can provide flanking partners and so on. Sure they are stupid and easily killed summon monsters but when a CL6 wizard is summoning 6 of them with a 1st level spell, or 9 of them with a cl 9 spell it is quite weird what options regal possession adds to the combat.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Imho (greater) Arcane Fusion (AF) cheese is the way to go here.
    AF is a Sorcerer only spell, that effectively cast 2 sorcerer spell you know at once (1st + 1-4th lvl or for greater AF 1-4th + 1-7th lvl). Since it is a personal spell, you can share it with your familiar. Note that you share the effect of the spell and not the casting. AF alters its own casting to include the actions and components (V,S, M..) of the spells included into it. This includes the 2 Sorcerer spells known. Thus the familiar doesn't need to know the spells. He get AF shared with the 2 spells you have loaded into it.

So, you could cast a AF: Summon Monster I + IV or greater AF: Summon Monster IV + Summon Monster VII

Thus, a single AF cast that you share with your familiar will summon 4 creatures.
    From here we have 2 options to boost this further.

"Extra Familiar" feat from Dragon Magazine #280
    Just have more Familiars to share AF. The feat is stackable, giving you an additional familiar each time you take it. If you woud take this feat 4 times, a single AF could produce 10 summons.

Alternatively play a Dvati Sorcerer. Dvati twins (is a race of twins) can share personal spells they cast. Like the share spell trick with the Familiar, this increases the outcome of AF.
    If you want to break the game, you add the wu-jen spell Body outside Body. With that you produce clones to have more targets to share your spells. Have a look at my theoretically optimized Dvati Sorcerer build. If you want, you could easily summon a legion of monsters.

Edit: added link

edit2: ups, forgot that the Summon Monster line has 1 round casting time and Arcane Fusion allows only for standard action spells. Thus cast Arcane Spellsurge first!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Some metamagic reductions + Ocular Spell + Chain Spell? If you reduce it enough, you might be able to get it down to +0, so that's your CL in level-appropriate summonses in one casting. Add in Sudden Empower and Sudden Maximize, and you can get a ton more of a slightly lower level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cheesy, but making permanent runes of Summon Monster spells allows this.

Scholar's Touch rune on a book.
    Book contains desired numbers of Summon Monster spells scribed as runes.

Touch the Scholar's Touch rune, the book fires all the runes simultaneously and summons all creatures as a single standard action. Depending on how stringent your DM is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You might want to look at war spells. It's Dragon Magazine content, so no guarantees that your DM will allow it, and it makes casting the spell take a lot longer and use a higher level slot, but it increases the number of creatures summoned by a spell to 25 per caster level.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    You might want to look at war spells. It's Dragon Magazine content, so no guarantees that your DM will allow it, and it makes casting the spell take a lot longer and use a higher level slot, but it increases the number of creatures summoned by a spell to 25 per caster level.
    It's a spell template, not metamagic, and it basically creates a new spell using the old one as a base. Thing is, you can massively reduce the casting time by using, say, a StP erudite with Linked Power to manifest it as basically a free action. However, you still have to be really familiar with the area you're casting it in, meaning it's useful if you're casting it at your home base, but not so much while adventuring.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone mentioned Mephit Mob?

Anyhow, this list may be useful: List of "Other" Summoning Spells

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post

Touch the Scholar's Touch rune, the book fires all the runes simultaneously and summons all creatures as a single standard action. Depending on how stringent your DM is.

Don't think this would work, one item can only contain one rune. So one book = one rune. If you had single pages containing runes each and then bind them into one book, i guess... all but one of them would fail? Disastrously discharge?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by lolcat View Post
    Don't think this would work, one item can only contain one rune. So one book = one rune. If you had single pages containing runes each and then bind them into one book, i guess... all but one of them would fail? Disastrously discharge?
    The rule is one rune per ten square feet of surface area. Get a big piece of paper, inscribe the required number of runes, fold up the paper, bind it into a book, scribe or cast Scholar's Touch on it. Save some trees by using both sides of the paper.

Or perform shenanigans with tiny objects and just touch them all in one grasp. It's one rune per object, an item of Medium size or greater can only hold 1 rune, but the lower limits are not defined. The FRCS' own example of a runecaster, Gerti Orelsdottir, has a necklace with multiple runes on it. "Object" is defined with loopholes sufficient to drive Gargantuan-sized semitrailers through it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thaumaturgist can help with durations, as all its summons are extended, and this stacks with Extend Spell for a tripling. It's Cleric-only though, unless you can find a way to get access to the Planar Ally spells for another class.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Abyssal Army (Spell Compendium) Cleric/Sorcerer/Wizard 9
    Armageddon (Book of Exalted Deeds) Sanctified 9
    Elemental Swarm
    Eyes of the King (Spell Compendium) Hunger 6
    Fierce Pride of the Beastlands (Spell Compendium) Cleric/Sorcerer/Wizard 8
    Heavenly Host (Spell Compendium) Cleric/Sorcerer/Wizard 9
    Hellish Horde (Spell Compendium) Cleric/Sorcerer/Wizard 9
    Insect Plague
    Plague of Rats (Spell Compendium) Pestilence 5
    Spider Plague (Spell Compendium) Cleric 6
    Summon Giants (Frostburn) Cleric 8, Winter 8, Disciple of Thrym 4
    Vipergout (Spell Compendium) Sorcerer/Wizard 3

Also, Far Realm-related summoning spells in Dragon #330 - Call Amoebic Crawler, Call Cranial Encyster, Call Kaortic Hulk, and Call Nightseed - have the "Cerebrotic Escalation" option: you can select to summon instead one creature two (or, in one case, 1d3+1), but if you fail your Will save - they would attack you

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    It's a spell template, not metamagic, and it basically creates a new spell using the old one as a base. Thing is, you can massively reduce the casting time by using, say, a StP erudite with Linked Power to manifest it as basically a free action. However, you still have to be really familiar with the area you're casting it in, meaning it's useful if you're casting it at your home base, but not so much while adventuring.
    Alternatively limited wish can also replicate it. War spells are normally useless because it takes 24 hours to familiarize yourself with a location and a feat to be able to use it, but things that replicate spells can work in a pinch. I’ve used that i’m mass combat before
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    War spells are normally useless because it takes 24 hours to familiarize yourself with a location
    No, it takes one minute to familiarize yourself, and the familiarization lasts for 24 hours.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Brutter View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to summon 10 creatures at once, with a SL no higher than 6. But that's just an arbitrary limit I put on myself to test the waters.
    Quick answer- Jaws of the Wolf (SpC): Druid 4, summon 1 worg per 2 levels. Wish I knew the original source so I could properly evaluate it on before/after/contemporaries, but alas.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Quick answer- Jaws of the Wolf (SpC): Druid 4, summon 1 worg per 2 levels. Wish I knew the original source so I could properly evaluate it on before/after/contemporaries, but alas.
    The previous version was Magic of Faerun (p102) but I don't know if there was a version prior to that.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2022-01-17 at 09:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    The previous version was Magic of Faerun (p102) but I don't know if there was a version prior to that.
    As far as I can find that's the earliest version in 3E.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Brutter View Post
    I love summoning spells. They're so versatile, and always useful. I want to make a Druid character, or possibly some other caster like a Sorcerer, who is built around summoning as many creatures as possible. Not just summoning as often as possible, summoning as many distinct creatures as possible. He'll be a wannabe overlord, obsessed with having his army of minions do everything for him.

I won't build my entire character around just summoning only, but I want it to be the default response to a lot of problems. Running away? Drop the largest creature I can in the path of the guys chasing. Looking for a secret door? A swarm of rats will scurry into each corner of the room. Keep watch? I'm sure there's a long-duration summoning spell that'll make a lot of noise. I'm not playing a high-tier campaign so I don't mind burning a few feats just so I can dump a full bag of miniatures on the board in a single round.

And so, my question: How can I summon as many different creatures as possible, with a single spell? I know the Summon Monster/Nature's Ally spells can get out at least 2 weak creatures per round, but otherwise there's very little wiggle room. Ideally, I'd like to summon 10 creatures at once, with a SL no higher than 6. But that's just an arbitrary limit I put on myself to test the waters. I would also accept ways to extend summoning spells, and other types of spells with more than 2 summoned monsters at once. I haven't looked outside of Core much, but everything is allowed in my games.

And no, Summon Swarm doesn't count. It may create a bunch of animals, but the whole swarm is classified as one creature.
    Question: why not just go Greenbound summoning? You might not get many, but the one’s you get are very difficult to kill!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malconvoker5 gives you an extra guy every time you summon an evil monster and there is an excellent guide on them around as well.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hello! I have been playing a summoner at 9th level and I have had the same idea as you, I wanted as much versatility as possible. so here is my info dump on everything I have learned about summoning.

First thing is first, every standard summoning spell has a casting time of one round. not a full round action. This means your turn comes around and you say "I begin to cast a spell" and the rest of the round happens and you potentially get hit and make concentration checks, then on the beginning on your NEXT turn you finish the spell and you summons may act immediately. This seems lame at first but when you get into summoning you start to realize how powerful summoning multiple creatures is and the action economy that goes along with them. If you apply the rapid spell feat, the spell becomes a full round action, which allows your summons to act on your first turn and then also the second. so it is still worth considering that metamagic. This is massively confusing but mike mearls had a sidebar about it in the rules compendium. It is so confusing in fact that some of the designers didnt understand the difference. In the complete champion there are optional spell components that apply metamagic to certain spells. The desert honey component costs 300ish gold and says that you cast summoning spells as a standard action as though it had the rapid spell feat used on it. which is not how the feat works. Either way, you should has out how this works with your dm.

As a rule of thumb, Summon natures ally is better at early levels and summon monster is better starting at summon monster 4, but they are both relevant throughout the game. I wanted it all so I personally chose an Archivist from heroes of horror, they gain access to all summoning spells and evening planar binding. I consider them the ultimate versatility caster. Cleric has the SM line and gets turn attempts to A. power metamagic and B. TURNING its a quite good ability. dont forget that a neutral cleric can choose to rebuke and control undead. and domains allow you to rebuke and control different monsters. A cleric with the air domain at 14th level can control two genie. You can have mooks up all the time, and summon the things you need. Rebuking and commanding is a very powerful and underutilized feature in summoning builds. Its summoning with infinite duration.

In terms of summoning a lot, Twin spell is always a great option for Divine Metamagic. Also keep in mind that you can mazamize and empower summon spells that roll the d3 or d4+1. Also remember that you can empower a spell multiple times.

The malconvoker prestige class lets you summon an extra fiend if youre really into demons, Another note is that malconvokers ignore the alignment restriction of spells. If you summon a creature with the lawful and evil subtype the summon spell is lawful and evil. This will prevent chaotic good clerics and druid from summoning those alignment creatures. Archvists do not have alignment restricted casting. another big point for that class.

The thaumaturgist prestige class has contingent summoning. you can set the contingency to a command word and cast a summong spell every encounter as a free action.

Use ring of the beast. it costs 8000 and then treats all SNA as one step higher in the line. I cannot stress enough how good this item is. You get more bag for your buck in spell slots. Your level one spells can summon a hippogriff. It is a flying strength having three attack making large creature. I cast this in combats that i dont think are that dangerous and dont want to spend more spell slots.

I cannot believe that you are still reading this post. I really want to write a big thread all about summoning. There are many ideas out there that i havent found on forums that I think can seriously make a satisfying summoner. You have access to so many effects witha single spell slot.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post

First thing is first, every standard summoning spell has a casting time of one round. not a full round action.
    Since I barely play summons, I tend to forget about that. I had to edit my Arcane Fusion post..

__

Arcane Spellsurge also helps to reduce the casting time to a standard action. Maybe include a way to persist it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post

I dont think this works since you can only inscribe runes on medium or smaller objects with one rune.
    Last edited by Blindy; 2022-01-17 at 09:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Also remember that you can empower a spell multiple times
    Pretty sure that while this was legal in 3.0, in 3.5 you can only apply a metamagic feat once per spell. Of course, empower + maximize + twin spell +metamagic cost reduction can be a thing. 😀
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2022-01-17 at 11:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    Pretty sure that while this was legal in 3.0, in 3.5 you can only apply a metamagic feat once per spell. Of course, empower + maximize + twin spell +metamagic cost reduction can be a thing. 😀
    You are right, I mix editions quite a lot and dont keep track of whats what. my b

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I believe the most straightforward (if you feel too much cheese will not be accepted) way to go to have multiple minions at a time and some versatility may be Animate Object. It's not a summoning spell, but in the end the only difference is that it only costs one standard action and not a full round. You get one creature per caster level, and you can mix and match their characteristics as you wish, making some fly, others go fast (an animated Medium wagon may make a good "mount"), and in general be pretty hard to kill with high hardness.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    I believe the most straightforward (if you feel too much cheese will not be accepted) way to go to have multiple minions at a time and some versatility may be Animate Object. It's not a summoning spell, but in the end the only difference is that it only costs one standard action and not a full round. You get one creature per caster level, and you can mix and match their characteristics as you wish, making some fly, others go fast (an animated Medium wagon may make a good "mount"), and in general be pretty hard to kill with high hardness.
    Or nigh invulnerable if they're made of riverine, which is technically nonmagical, I think.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

First thing is first, every standard summoning spell has a casting time of one round. not a full round action.
    The rapid summoner conjurer variant from unearthed arcana reduces it to a standard action for summon monster.