New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Tiefling... What is a tief?

This feels like a dumb question, but it has been bothering me for a while.

Aasimar are called like this because aasimon is another name for D&D angels.

Genasi are called like this because of their connection to genies.

But what is the deal with tieflings? Why not fiendlings? Is there any connection to anything?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Tiefling... What is a tief?

I've wondered the same for a long time. But Wikipedia has the answer: "The name, pronounced /ˈtiːflɪŋ/, was derived by Wolfgang Baur from German tief meaning "deep, low", and the suffix -ling, "offspring," alluding to their origins in the "lower planes" (in the 2nd and 3rd editions); it may also allude to Teufel, German for "devil.""

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, well, thank you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The word "fiend" comes from the German "Feind", which is "the enemy" (of mankind), so The Devil.

But "tief" really just means "deep", so I'll guess the idea might be "spawn from the deep", which would imply "hellspawn". The suffix "-ling" is the same in German as in English, so "tiefling" actually looks like it could be a proper German word. (Though one that doesn't exist in any other context.)

Also, since it's the most common pronunciation error of German words by English speakers, it's "tee", not "tye". Though I don't recall ever hearing someone do that with tiefling.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post

Also, since it's the most common pronunciation error of German words by English speakers, it's "tee", not "tye". Though I don't recall ever hearing someone do that with tiefling.
    Because the prefix is exactly like "thief" but with no H, I've always pronounced it as if I was going to pronounce "thief" but leaving the H sound out.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

But "tief" really just means "deep", so I'll guess the idea might be "spawn from the deep", which would imply "hellspawn". The suffix "-ling" is the same in German as in English, so "tiefling" actually looks like it could be a proper German word. (Though one that doesn't exist in any other context.)
    I think we also need to take a couple of other things into account:
    1) In D&D demons and devils are different things, but either can generate Tieflings.
    2) Tieflings were originally released when D&D had renamed demons/devils.

Hellspawn would have worked, except that D&D was trying to work around certain groups at the time so that was out of the equation. But the planes in question are known as the Lower Planes, thus 'depthling'.

Only in German because everything sounds cooler in German.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

According to some of my in-game experience, they are mostly odd looking individuals that are rather ignorant and don't know how to spell thief correctly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The tief are the mostly white things in your mouth that let you chew and bite and stuff.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2022-01-15 at 03:24 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kraynic View Post
    According to some of my in-game experience, they are mostly odd looking individuals that are rather ignorant and don't know how to spell thief correctly.
    And prior to picking their subclass, many of those people were a "rouge"!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kraynic View Post
    Could just be Irish people going all phonetic on the spelling.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Dragon View Post
    Could just be Irish people going all phonetic on the spelling.
    You mean taoighdhph?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    You mean taoighdhph?
    Didn't wanna scare the poor Anglophones.
    Show

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

In Planescape planar cant, tieflings are sometimes called zu'lings (if they have Baatezu origins), tanar'lings (if they have Tanar’ri origins), or loth'lings (if they have Yugoloth origins)

But it’s easier to just lump these 3 subcategories into one, especially for people unfamiliar with the lore. And that’s just if you go with the official planar lore.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forevaxp View Post
    In Planescape planar cant, tieflings are sometimes called zu'lings (if they have Baatezu origins), tanar'lings (if they have Tanar’ri origins), or loth'lings (if they have Yugoloth origins)

But it’s easier to just lump these 3 subcategories into one, especially for people unfamiliar with the lore. And that’s just if you go with the official planar lore.
    It seems to me that lots of tieflings, quite possibly the majority, wouldn't know what kind of fiendish ancestry they had.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Forevaxp View Post

There's also those descended from gehreleths, rakshasas, night hags, and evil deities.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It seems to me that lots of tieflings, quite possibly the majority, wouldn't know what kind of fiendish ancestry they had.
    One idea I really liked from Pathfinder's tieflings is that they might not have fiendish ancestry per se, but were instead tainted by being born near places where fiendish activity was common, or by fiendish pacts made by their ancestors.
    Last edited by Scots Dragon; 2022-01-16 at 03:22 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

One idea I really liked from Pathfinder's tieflings is that they might not have fiendish ancestry per se, but were instead tainted by being born near places where fiendish activity was common, or by fiendish pacts made by their ancestors.
    That should work for other planetouched too. An elemental portal, the blessing of an angel... and your bloodline is changed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"In exchange for your powers, I give you my first-born child!"
    "Honestly, you can keep the kid. The dark taint from our foul covenant will give your line, like, leathery wings and fire breath and stuff within a few generations."
    "So do you...not get anything from this?"
    "It's called a "long-term investment"."
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2022-01-17 at 02:08 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I always thought of a butchered version of "Teufel" which is just Devil in german
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

20. - Top - End - #20

Planescape did that one too, but it's only mentioned kind of off-handedly. But it mentions that one assumption why Tiefligns are relatively common on the Planes is that the parents might have lived on a lower plane for a while.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TinyMushroom View Post
    I always thought of a butchered version of "Teufel" which is just Devil in german
    I wouldn't call it "butchered". Just like in english with a bit playing arround you get from "Tiefling" to "Thiefling", you get from "Tiefling" to "Teufling" in german, as Yora mentioned above. Both instances I find quite nice, actually :-)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Because the prefix is exactly like "thief" but with no H, I've always pronounced it as if I was going to pronounce "thief" but leaving the H sound out.
    On of my favorite and very minor features in D&D Beyond is that the races have official pronounciation guides now just click the speaker icon next to their name.

"TEE-fling"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I just remember it with a joke:

"A martial focused tiefling bloodline should have a free manoeuvrer which allows them to throw a hot beverage with deadly precision; the tea fling!"
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    On of my favorite and very minor features in D&D Beyond is that the races have official pronounciation guides now just click the speaker icon next to their name.

"TEE-fling"
    Eh.

I don't like WotC pronunciation guides. Especially for planar stuff, which is directly taken from Roman, Greek, middle Eastern, Nordic etc. mythology, but Anglicized and then Americanized so far, the original word is barely recognizeable.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-01-18 at 06:24 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I don't like WotC pronunciation guides. Especially for planar stuff, which is directly taken from Roman, Greek, middle Eastern, Nordic etc. mythology, but Anglicized and then Americanized so far, the original word is barely recognizeable.
    Considering the concepts the words describe are frequently just as mangled, doing the same to the pronunciation seems kinda fitting.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Default Tiefling... What is a tief?

The word "fiend" comes from the German "Feind", which is "the enemy" (of mankind), so The Devil.

Thanks for that, my German recedes the longer I don't use it. (I assumed a Teufel link which you seem to have dispelled).
    Also means you can dump the horns and tail. They are not necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I just remember it with a joke:

"A martial focused tiefling bloodline should have a free manoeuvrer which allows them to throw a hot beverage with deadly precision; the tea fling!"
    :) Barroom brawl, or a tea fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Considering the concepts the words describe are frequently just as mangled, doing the same to the pronunciation seems kinda fitting.
    Aye. (Which is pronounced 'eye' not 'aay!'
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #27
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Halfling... what's a half? ;-)

Personally, I miss 2e's tieflings. While I appreciate that they're getting more play, I want weird-ass tieflings with bizarre features.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Also means you can dump the horns and tail. They are not necessary.
    The fourth edition redesign was so bloody boring.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The fourth edition redesign was so bloody boring.
    Yeah, I like it more when tieflings don't have a consistent appearance (especially the PF version which doesn't even have consistent abilities). Partly because there's a large number of sources for tieflings and it's weird for them all to look the same, partly because it plays better to the "distrusted outcast" themes when they don't have anyone similar to turn to.
    But also if they had to pick a consistent appearance, the 4e one isn't the one I'd go with.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2022-01-18 at 06:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Yeah, I like it more when tieflings don't have a consistent appearance {snip} Partly because there's a large number of sources for tieflings and it's weird for them all to look the same
    That's a part of my thematic objection.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society