New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Feral Template and HD, again

So I was reading through the various debates regarding the Feral Tempalte and its Special Attacks being applicable to class HD as opposed to racial. It seems to hinge on “It gains the special attacks indicated in the row corresponding to its monster Hit Dice, plus all those in previous rows.” And while the book itself essentially defines monster HD=RHD and Improving Monsters in the SRD does the same, the sentence isn’t actually referencing anything on the table. The table only includes rows referencing Hit Dice not monster Hit Dice or RHD. It would be like a sentence saying “Wizards gain a metamagic feat for every Fighter bonus feat listed in their Wizard class advancement table.” Yes wizards get bonus feats, but not fighter bonus feats so it would do nothing. With that in mind, the only really relevant part to consider in the text is “A feral creature gains additional special attacks depending on its Hit Dice, as shown on the table below.” Which does reference an existing portion of the table.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2022-01-15 at 04:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Feral Template and HD, again

Reading so that 'monster' is suppressed in the text seems like it's ignoring the authoritative part of the rules since text is generally regarded as superior to table. It seems better to instead fill in the table in a manner which is consistent with the text.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think I've ever heard the argument classified in this manner. From my understanding, the argument is a question of whether the template is constantly checking for HD updates, or if it's a one-and-done deal. It checks once for your HD upon the template being applied, and grants you the appropriate abilities. Since it's an inherited template, it can never be applied after class HD, barring special circumstances like being applied through the savage species rituals, and as such, will never include racial HD in it's calculations.

Personally, I'm of the mind that unless a template says it applies to future effects, it is simply an instantaneous effect of sorts, and future changes to the character aren't retroactive. Things like "Change all HD to d12s" vs "change all current and future HD to d12s", one simply applies to the current circumstance, while the other one is applied retroactively to all future HD. The feral template doesn't say the creature continues to gain abilities as it gains more HD, so it doesn't.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard the argument classified in this manner. From my understanding, the argument is a question of whether the template is constantly checking for HD updates, or if it's a one-and-done deal. It checks once for your HD upon the template being applied, and grants you the appropriate abilities. Since it's an inherited template, it can never be applied after class HD, barring special circumstances like being applied through the savage species rituals, and as such, will never include racial HD in it's calculations.

Personally, I'm of the mind that unless a template says it applies to future effects, it is simply an instantaneous effect of sorts, and future changes to the character aren't retroactive. Things like "Change all HD to d12s" vs "change all current and future HD to d12s", one simply applies to the current circumstance, while the other one is applied retroactively to all future HD. The feral template doesn't say the creature continues to gain abilities as it gains more HD, so it doesn't.
    So templates like Half-Fiend or Phrenic wouldn't give you the advanced abilities when you level up in your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, gold is easy to manage and if you’ve bought off a template it just costs 1k to refresh a template.