New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Scream (2022)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Scream (2022)

Hello everyone. Today I'm going to review the movie Scream (2022) that I saw yesterday morning.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Scream (2022)
    Show
    Scream is the fifth movie of the Scream franchises. I have seen some of the older Scream movies and they're pretty good. scream is about a new Ghostface killer who kills people in Woodsboro. What I like about this scream is that there was murder and blood especially the suspense for the kills. What I don't like about this movie is that there's too much clumsiness during the kill scene. This movie is good. It may not be a perfect Scream movie but it has its merits to be a good Scream movie. I'll give this movie 7.5 out of 10 stars.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Scream (2022)

Neat review. I am a big fan of Scream movies too! Did you notice any homages to other horror properties in this scream movie? The others are riddled with them. Bye for now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHoWhatUpYo View Post
    Neat review. I am a big fan of Scream movies too! Did you notice any homages to other horror properties in this scream movie? The others are riddled with them. Bye for now.
    No, I didn't notice it.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    No, I didn't notice it.
    Oh, that's a shame because there tends to be lots of them in the series, even little things like wardrobe choices. For example Rose McGowan's jersey in Scream 1 is an homage to the one worn by Johnny Depp in A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Last edited by HeyHoWhatUpYo; 2022-01-24 at 03:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, that's a shame because there tends to be lots of them in the series, even little things like wardrobe choices. For example Rose McGowan's jersey in Scream 1 is an homage to the one worn by Johnny Depp in A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Ok. I only watch some of the Scream movies and I didn't notice that.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Ok. I only watch some of the Scream movies and I didn't notice that.
    Last edited by HeyHoWhatUpYo; 2022-01-24 at 04:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Wow. Ok. That's good.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

So Scream 6 is going to be a courtroom drama where Sydney has to defend herself in court after she pulled a gun and shot someone who came up to her in a ghost face costume.

Right?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So Scream 6 is going to be a courtroom drama where Sydney has to defend herself in court after she pulled a gun and shot someone who came up to her in a ghost face costume.

Right?
    Was that a joke?

10. - Top - End - #10

Right?
    Scream 6 The Devil Made Me Do It?
    Last edited by HeyHoWhatUpYo; 2022-01-25 at 12:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Right?
    In general I'd say that pulling a gun on somebody for wearing a "serial killer" Halloween costume is a bad move. But for Sydney specifically...it's not just "some serial killer", it's "a series of serial killers trying to kill her specifically". If she's home alone and someone bursts out of the closet wearing this costume and wielding a knife, just statistically speaking she's better off shooting first. It's theoretically possible this is some rando pulling the dumbest prank imaginable, but the odds are pretty good it's kill or be killed.

EDIT: And if it is a prank, I doubt she'd be convicted. It's like charging a cop while waving around a real-looking toy gun.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2022-01-25 at 12:55 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

Basically, my thoughts are that, with this movie, they've basically done every possible deconstruction of a slasher movie.

The original trilogy both deconstructed, played with, and paid homage to all of the classic tropes, horror movie sequels tropes, and trilogy tropes. Scre4m deconstructed reboots that try too hard to subvert expectations and top the orignal while demonstrating how to do a good revival or sequel(admittedly not good enough to launch a new trilogy, which was the intent), and this last one covers sequels/remakes that go out of their way to recreate elements of the orignal to the point of basically just rehashing the plot while, again, demonstrated how to write a good revival.

In addition, the first movie lampooned the idea that watching too much TV or other "evil new media" stuff made kids violent. The second one deconstructed the idea of hatred and seeking vengeance in people who harmed your loved ones when your loved ones brought it on themself. The third deconstructs the idea of a victim complex, the fact that you suffered some injustice in and of itself justifying your own negative behavior towards others. The Fourth played with the idea of teenagers being encouraged to get their 15 minutes of fame by showing what someone truly sociopathic or narcissistic might do to get it. This one did double duty, lampooning Toxic Fans while also deconstructing the idea that mental illness makes you dangerous, evil, or less than human.

If another sequel is made anytime soon(as opposed to in a decade when there are new trends in movies and/or social issues to play with, as was the case with this film and the rprevious) then there are really only two ways to go.

Don't make a slasher movie, make a movie about the aftermath of a self-defense act and whether or not Sydney was justified in taking such extreme measures off the bat(honestly, whether it was an actually attempted kill or just some dumb kid doing a dumb prank might not be relevant) or just flat out playing it completly straight and going full Halloween/Friday the 13th with an actually supernaturally invincible killer.

And having an actual supernatural killer would be a jumping the shark moment.

I will admit, I'm not 100% serious saying this, it's just... This is where my brain goes. With most slasher movie franchises, it's one killer with different victims each time. With Scream, it's mostly the same group of survivors, with some additions, getting picked off by different people who independently adopted the same killer identity. Sydney just carrying a high-caliber pistol on her person at all times would be rational at this point.

...Honestly, the fact that Ghostface costumes are still getting made(they're a generic costume. The ghost faced character is licensed by the filmmakers) not to mention the "based on a true story" sTab franchise in-universe after not one but four separate spree killings in that costume suggests that here's something weird going on with people in-universe.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #13

Basically, my thoughts are that, with this movie, they've basically done every possible deconstruction of a slasher movie.

The original trilogy both deconstructed, played with, and paid homage to all of the classic tropes, horror movie sequels tropes, and trilogy tropes. Scre4m deconstructed reboots that try too hard to subvert expectations and top the orignal while demonstrating how to do a good revival or sequel(admittedly not good enough to launch a new trilogy, which was the intent), and this last one covers sequels/remakes that go out of their way to recreate elements of the orignal to the point of basically just rehashing the plot while, again, demonstrated how to write a good revival.

In addition, the first movie lampooned the idea that watching too much TV or other "evil new media" stuff made kids violent. The second one deconstructed the idea of hatred and seeking vengeance in people who harmed your loved ones when your loved ones brought it on themself. The third deconstructs the idea of a victim complex, the fact that you suffered some injustice in and of itself justifying your own negative behavior towards others. The Fourth played with the idea of teenagers being encouraged to get their 15 minutes of fame by showing what someone truly sociopathic or narcissistic might do to get it. This one did double duty, lampooning Toxic Fans while also deconstructing the idea that mental illness makes you dangerous, evil, or less than human.

If another sequel is made anytime soon(as opposed to in a decade when there are new trends in movies and/or social issues to play with, as was the case with this film and the rprevious) then there are really only two ways to go.

Don't make a slasher movie, make a movie about the aftermath of a self-defense act and whether or not Sydney was justified in taking such extreme measures off the bat(honestly, whether it was an actually attempted kill or just some dumb kid doing a dumb prank might not be relevant) or just flat out playing it completly straight and going full Halloween/Friday the 13th with an actually supernaturally invincible killer.

And having an actual supernatural killer would be a jumping the shark moment.

I will admit, I'm not 100% serious saying this, it's just... This is where my brain goes. With most slasher movie franchises, it's one killer with different victims each time. With Scream, it's mostly the same group of survivors, with some additions, getting picked off by different people who independently adopted the same killer identity. Sydney just carrying a high-caliber pistol on her person at all times would be rational at this point.

...Honestly, the fact that Ghostface costumes are still getting made(they're a generic costume. The ghost faced character is licensed by the filmmakers) not to mention the "based on a true story" sTab franchise in-universe after not one but four separate spree killings in that costume suggests that here's something weird going on with people in-universe.
    I'm not entirely sure I understand what your point is. Are you saying the Scream franchise is intellectually bankrupt in a world of the MCU dominating the box office by telling the super hero tale 5 times a year? I think there are plenty more stories that could be told despite the very specific suggested plot you propose.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm not entirely sure I understand what your point is. Are you saying the Scream franchise is intellectually bankrupt in a world of the MCU dominating the box office by telling the super hero tale 5 times a year? I think there are plenty more stories that could be told despite the very specific suggested plot you propose.
    1: I'm not completly serious, which I admitted.

2:I'm not saying that the franchise is intellectually bankrupt.

I'm saying that a franchise based on deconstructing, reconstructing, and paying homage to various types of movies, with a different set of tropes to play with each time, only has o many ways it can go forward.

There are always plenty of stories to tell. But not every story fits the premise of any given series.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #15

1: I'm not completly serious, which I admitted.

2:I'm not saying that the franchise is intellectually bankrupt.

I'm saying that a franchise based on deconstructing, reconstructing, and paying homage to various types of movies, with a different set of tropes to play with each time, only has o many ways it can go forward.

There are always plenty of stories to tell. But not every story fits the premise of any given series.
    I see. So you think that a self defense court case would fit a series about deconstructing and reconstructing horror tropes? How so?

16. - Top - End - #16

I see. So you think that a self defense court case would fit a series about deconstructing and reconstructing horror tropes? How so?
    So far, none of the movies have shown the aftermath of a slasher attack. You'll note that a lot of slasher movies involve the Final Girl or other survivor executing the killer, sometimes in brutal fashion, rather than merely incapacitating them and either escaping or contacting the authorities. While it's highly unlikely that people would be charged, a vigilante execution is technically a crime.

If the self-defense kill is done in questionable enough circumstances...

Furthermore, in this movie they even make it a point to double-tap and make sure the slasher's dead(or at least try to.) The surviving characters become more and more paranoid with each film, so the idea of Sindey just carrying a gun at all times just in case she's attacked by another ghost face is plausible with how her character has developed over the movies.

Finally: Only the orignal Scream and Scream 2 were about horror movies specifically, and even then Scream was about sequels more than just horror movies specifically. Scream 3 was about trilogies(the examples it was compared to were Return of the Jedi and Godfather 3,) the fourth movie about Remakes, and this movie about Revivals.

If they do another sequel any time soon, they'd have to either just... Play the movie straight, or they'd have to a different kind of movie.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #17

So far, none of the movies have shown the aftermath of a slasher attack. You'll note that a lot of slasher movies involve the Final Girl or other survivor executing the killer, sometimes in brutal fashion, rather than merely incapacitating them and either escaping or contacting the authorities. While it's highly unlikely that people would be charged, a vigilante execution is technically a crime.

If the self-defense kill is done in questionable enough circumstances...

Furthermore, in this movie they even make it a point to double-tap and make sure the slasher's dead(or at least try to.) The surviving characters become more and more paranoid with each film, so the idea of Sindey just carrying a gun at all times just in case she's attacked by another ghost face is plausible with how her character has developed over the movies.

Finally: Only the orignal Scream and Scream 2 were about horror movies specifically, and even then Scream was about sequels more than just horror movies specifically. Scream 3 was about trilogies(the examples it was compared to were Return of the Jedi and Godfather 3,) the fourth movie about Remakes, and this movie about Revivals.

If they do another sequel any time soon, they'd have to either just... Play the movie straight, or they'd have to a different kind of movie.
    I'd argue that the second movie does show the aftermath of a slasher attack. It has a traumatized girl trying to move on with her life despite the constant media attention drudging up the old memories that, to her, are best left forgotten. This is a running theme throughout every movie, including the first to a degree because of what happened to Sydney's mother.

The problem with this concept is that it isn't a Scream movie. You can't have a horror slasher flick (which Scream very much is) where there is one attack and the only person killed is the slasher while the rest of the movie is court procedure. I daresay your pitch isn't for a Scream movie, which is why that premise doesn't sit well with me.

Also, I don't agree that is the only lane that the franchise can go down. How about the next one be about just that, franchises. It could be a commentary on how over the top, ridiculous, and straying far away from the original premise these movies can be.