New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default OOC Alhallor's mana secret 2

Part 1

Hi guys,

I'm glad for having you here and are all ready to do some stuff, here is the OOC, so you can claim colors and whatever else you deem approbiate here. Just so we are still on the same page, the players are.

Ridai with Thaum,

WindStruck with Larimar Flint,

tonberryking with Rina Grael,

and Toliudar with Coney Massing.

kinem with Ken Golo

Aegis013 with Jahn Firebrand

Our IC thread is here

I didn't wanted that much players originally but to tell you the truth but the concepts all seemed to great and in the end way to fitting to don't include. (It's not that you desperately need a specific skillset I just liked everything so much.)

Some stuff I wanted to adress.

Houserules: Sorry for not mentioning them earlier but they kinda formed while the thread developed.

A 1 is not automatically a failure if you're doing skill checks. (That just seemed silly to me because we have some skill experts in the group. I can't explain why Thaum would not be able to give someone a band-aid even when stressed out for example.)

Charm Person and similiar spells: I don't know how big of a change this really is and if you're against it, please tell me and we can change the rule, delete it or let it stay.

If you Charm someone the afflicted creature will act like you are his good friend and he wants to do you good, but the charmed one is also stressed out. As an example, you're fighting against a band bandits, one manages to charm Thaum (sorry for using you so much but you're character is really fitting for something like that.) And screams at him "help us win this fight!" He will probably try to heal the one who charmed him and his newfound friends but not attack his previous party members (even if the bandit actually wanted that.) With charm you can never bring someone to do something that the character would never do.

I want to give you the possibility to still be your characters even when controlled by other forces in this manner and let the character of NPC's shine through the things they do even when supernaturally compelled.

Suggestion works as written, but they may be factors who change the outcome. If you "suggest" someone to go drink a beer in the next pub he will begin to do that, even if he normally never drinks beer he will just drink something different. (Otherwise I would be a really bad GM.) If you suggest that to a crazed cultist who desperately try to protect his leader from your attacks he will also begin to go to a pub (and will use one full-round to do so) but maybe I give him a second save if it goes against his character.

Dominate is hard control, for the duration of the spell you're basically mindcrushing a victim and he does everything that you tell him to. Things that go against the ethic and morale of the character are possible (but you gain another save, if that doesn't snap you out of it you do what is asked.) That also means that the dominated victim may be a bit… Stupid. If you tell him to "attack" he will attack to the best of his abilites… The square directly in front of him, even if there is someone or not.

If you want to cast a spell with a costly material component you can give out the Money if you have it at hand +10 % the cost if you haven't done the bookkepping of buying it before to cast the spell (I trust you on that.)

Sanctuary doesn't work against traps, if the trap needs to be activated from someone (typical situation would be the BBEG pushing a button to make you fall down a trapdoor, basically a pit trap.) The activator of the trap needs to make the roll. Undead and Constructs have will saves and because of that they would also need to make will saves to get through the sanctuary effect. The text claryfies opponent, because of that, the "friendly chobin tackle" made by an ally doesn't trigger sanctuary (if it's an action that would actually deal damage, sanctuary would trigger). If an ally is charmed or dominated into attacking someone under sanctuary, he ceases to count as an ally and is for all attacks an opponent. If someone get's possessed by someone or something, the posessor handles all mental saves (Will) but the posessed handles all bodily saves (Reflex and Fortitude).

In a possession, the bodily stats don't change but the mental abilities change towards the posessor (even if they are worse).

Regarding food and drink: You have to eat a ration a day to keep functioning normally and drink… Something to not die of thirst. (2 Liters? I think it's two Liters per day.) I also trust you that you keep track of that, I know it's really just pocketchange for characters of your level but it's still a level of detail I somehow like and I will definitely not track you down if you forget to subtract one of your rations. If we'll ever go to places with extreme temperatures that will change and I would want you to give a better look to your provisions in that regard.

You also have to sleep. Like in general. Adrenaline can go a long way but you can't stay up indefinitely. (I know that sounds a bit redundant I just want to make it clear.)

If an effect asks for the worship of a specific deity it's ignored. (Or "We don't do worship rulings here")

Spoiler: The world
    Show

The world.

The old legends tell about a time were terrible beasts roamed the land and destroyed great swaths of the land. But the heroes stopped the monsters and you are now in an era of peace.
    There are still monsters roaming the streets that connect the different towns together but if you avoid them and if they are not hungry they are not that much of an issue. The time of great heroes who saved the world are over and for nearly a hundred years there has been peace. But there is still the need of indiciduals with the right amount of courage. Trade caravans still need protection from monsters that could attack them. They are still mundane and magical tournaments to participate in and even in the wealthiest city there are people who live on the fringes of society.
    And there are always the ones who want to relive the journey of heroes and want to travel to distant places and abandoned ruins that are infested with unspeakable horrors.

Spoiler: Magic
    Show

Generally magic is divided into the eight elements.
    Fire = fire spells, the sprite Salamander
    Water = Water, ice and healingspells, the sprite Undyne
    Earth = earth, crystal and defenseboosting spells, the sprite Gnome.
    Wind = wind and agilityboosting spells, the sprite Jinn
    Moon = status changing and transformation spells, the sprite Luna
    Wood = spells of growth, sleep spells, the sprite Dryad
    Light = light spells, the sprite wisp
    Darkness = darkness spells, the sprite shade
    You can argue in and out of character what spell falls under what element in the end and there are definitely possibility’s to change up the formula (a healing spell can also come from fire as an example) but it’s accepted from everyone that all spells come from one of these sources. Metamagic is manipulating how the Mana in this spells behave. And theoretically fall under the Mana category.
    Mana = Metamagic.
    Sprites are physical manifestations of that element and are masters of that element. In ancient times people have forged pacts with this sprites to gain their power and even in this day and age you can have pacts with them. (Currently none of your characters have formed a pact.)
    A priest is most likely a priest of one of the eight elements, you can choose which domains you get from that, but be reasonable. (No fire priest who has the water domain. But a wind priest who has travel and storm sounds fitting.)

Spoiler: Places
    Show
    Places
    Some places where your character may have come from or may want to go. There are also numerous smaller or biger towns, you are welcome to add stuff to it if you like, it’s only a small list after all. I don’t have a map right know but if you really want some I can try my best.

Wendel
    Wendel is a very religious place. There is also a pretty big gathering of different intelligent monsters there who want to trade or just want to see what humans do all day. That is mostly thanks to the high priest of Wendel who is said that he is a master of both light and darkness who keeps the town safe. Wendel does not have a military but is safe mostly because of the power of the high priest. (Pretty much like a lowkey sigil.)

Altena
    The magic kingdom from the north. They have a strong connection to Valsena. Inside Altena there is nothing to feel from the biting cold of the north because of their powerful magical wards. Nearly everyone from Altena is a magician of some kind, kids without the talent are not subtly told to find their luck elsewhere. They also have surprisingly developed some magitech (machine golems, perhaps even something akin to warforged.)

Valsena
    A realm with a mild climate and the strongest military power in the world. Thanks to their connection to Altena, they’re military might, combined with warmages (both the class and magicians who are versed in tactic and war) is unsurpassed. They hire out their soldiers to everyone who can pay the price or to get monsters out of your neighborhood (for a price, that was once a service to the community but has now taken on the stride of mercenaries.)

Nevarl
    A town on the edge of the great Nevarl dessert. The dessert is littered with ruins and Nevarl is a community who has specialized itself on unearthing these ruins and their strange artifacts. There is also a literal school for people who want to explore these ruins (rumor has it that it was originally a thieves guild.)

Laurent
    High atop the highest mountain lies the kingdom of Laurent, skilled amazon warriors emerge from there and it is said that they are in high trade contact with the dwarves.

Ferolia
    Also known as the beast kingdom, strange amalgamations that seem like a mixture of humanoids and monsters (shifters would be the mildest example) live here, under the supposed rulership of the mighty beast king. It has been years till there were any contact here, because every diplomant who was sent there came back with the same message „we don’t want to be disturbed.“

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Religion
    Mostly you pray to one of the eight elements or to the goddess of mana that reigns over all eight elements. The diversity of priests comes from different ways to interpret the elements. (It’s not a problem if you want to play a priest from a specific god, you can just say yeah that’s actually shadows but in the region where I come from that element was attributed with this and that aspect and it works.)

Spoiler: New race
    Show
    The awakening
    Nearly 50 years ago the Rabite's (some people took them in for wool production and their tasty, tasty flesh) awakened. At least some of them. They got human level intelligence, could talk and they didn’t know why that even happened to them. As far as anyone knows they don’t have qualms about they're encaged brethren but, they want to inspect every farmer who has some of them if they may have an awakened brother or sister in their barns. You can play an awakened rabite. They have the following statistics.

-2 Str, +2 Dex (They are small but nimble.) -2 Int, +2 Cha (their animal origin still holds them back, but otherwise they are just sooo cute.)
    Small: As a Small creature, a rabite gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.

Rabite base land speed is 20 feet.

Natural jumper: Rabites gain a +10 bonus to jump checks, when jumping they‘re base land speed is considered to be 40 feet.

+1 Natural armor class because of their wool.

A natural bite attack that deals 1d4 + strength modifier damage (have you seen these things? They are basically just mouth.)

The wool: rabites have 2 Elemental resistance against fire, acid, electricity and cold. As an immediate action they can shot wool at a companion and give them their resistances (but they lose their resistances for the rest of the day.) Rabites can do this once per day.

As a standard action they can shoot their wool at the eyes of someone as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 20 feet. When the creature is hit, he can make a reflex save against 10 + ½ of the rabite’s level + Con modifier or be blinded. The affected creature can as a move action try to rip the wool away from his eyes, and still has to succeed on a reflex save. If another creature try’s this, with the affected creature it too has to succeed on a reflex save. Rabites can do this once per day.

If they haven’t used the wool during a 24-hour period a rabite can produce a wool token, If he decides to do that he stops having the benefits of The wool for another 24-hour period. A wool token can be sold for 5 silver. If you have enough wool tokens, a piece of clothing can be constructed.

Gloves = 2 wool tokens, work as a masterwork item and gives either 2 points of acid, fire, lighting or cold resistance.

Hat = 2 wool tokens work as a masterwork item and gives either 2 points of acid, fire, lighting or cold resistance.

Boots = 3 wool tokens work as a masterwork item and gives either 2 points of acid, fire, lighting or cold resistance.

Shirt = 4 wool tokens work as a masterwork item and gives either 2 points of acid, fire, lighting or cold resistance.

Cape = 5 wool tokens work as a masterwork item and gives either 2 points of acid, fire, lighting or cold resistance.

Robe = 6 wool tokens work as a masterwork item and gives either 2 points of acid, fire, lighting or cold resistance.
    The same resistance does not stack if you wear different parts of clothing, different resistances work together.

Creating a masterwork item out of rabite wool is as difficult as a masterwork item of that kind and the DC raises by 3.

A masterwork item made out of rabite wool costs as much as a masterwork item and 150 additional gold coins (there are very hard to made and to transform the wool to make it workable costs a lot of time.)

Rabites, despite being just walking (or jumping) blobs can equip every item a small sized humanoid creature can equip. If they want to use somantic components they swing around their ears. If they want to equip weapons they touch them with their ears and can manipulate the weapon or any object with their ears like they were hands. They can also be knocked prone or suffer from any other status humanoids can suffer from.

They have their own language rabitian the language is accompanied with a lot of strange noises and very expressive movements of their ears and the rest of their body (other people who learn rabitian use their hands to simulate the ear movements.) Because you pretty much have to use your whole body to not saying the wrong words, non-rabites who talk rabitian take longer to formulate sentences. That has no effect in a normal conversation but if you want to say three words in rabitian (normally a free action) you have to use a move action if you're not a rabite. Everything you could say in a move action Needs a Standard action and everything that you could say in a Standard action takes a full-round action.

Magic items: Everything that is masterwork can generally be a magic item too. You can see a masterwork item most of the time without a check.

Initiative: I would like to try out something to speed up the fights a bit. We don't have to do that, but I think it would seem approbiate. Everyone throws Initiative, I add that together and divide it against the number of people at your side. So if everyone throws a 10 I divide it with 6 and we still get 10. If you fight against two enemies, One throws a 15 and the other a 3 they have an initiative of 9, (18/2). So in that case, all player characters and after that all enemies act. That would mean that we don't have to wait for one person to make a post (well yes the last one… But I think it could speed things up a bit.)

Oh and please all of you roll Intiative two times, two times spot, once a sense Motive, everything who has ranks in heal can roll that once (I think it's only Thaum but I haven't internalized every bit of your charakter sheets... Yet.) Once Survival even if untrained. If you have modifications when that should come up I'd add that to the roll.

Wendel: Wendel has not really a government, but there are still laws passed down and decided upon, though there is a great deal involved how the crime came to pass, because a lot happens because of cultural differences. Wendel’s spiritual leader is the high priest for the goddess of mana though he rarely if ever uses his position and is most of the time a diplomat who wants Wendel to be independent.

Spoiler: CONEY
    Show
    There are also high priests of different interpretations of the sprites in Wendel that also have something to say. But there are also often out and abound in the world to do something to perhaps further the cause of their element.

Altena: Altena is traditionally lead by a Mage-Empress, the Queen of Altena. The title is not passed down from mother to child but is gifted upon the best female magic-user of the land.

The isle Altena is divided into two main towns, Alrant with a shipyard, the other, Altena (yes the continent and the main town have the same name) deeper into the isle. Despite the perpetual cold of the region it's supposedly pretty warm in the towns and the way that connects both towns is also known to not be problematic at all.

From Altena come the famed witch-soldiers perfect in the use of magic, they are considered experts in the arts of magician warfare, they also have a unique look to them.

Spoiler: Altenan witch soldier.
    Show
    Very traditional armaments at display here! Male witch-soldiers are known to wear the usual robes, commonly associated with mages.

Altena as the forefront of magic has different facilities that study magic in different forms and try to push the development of it further and further.

Spoiler: Ridai
    Show
    There is also a Council that attends to „lesser“ matters, like tax fees, distribution of land, military matters. The actual leader of the land are the council members with the Queen becoming more of a figurehead. She is mostly contacted upon when the Council can’t decide upon a course of action and for diplomatic arrays. The council is made up upon 10 members, including the queen that correlate to the 8 schools of magic, roughly correlating to the eight elements of the mana world. The 9nth member is a normal villager, most of the time someone who hasn't any magic.

Valsena: Valsena is traditionally lead by a King, mostly rumored to be the best swordfighter, but the title is handed down from Father to Son.
    There is a popular story of Valsena that had made it to other lands, that of the Red Knight. Some time ago, on a knight tourney, there appeared a red knight that pretty much just shamed every other knight that was there by winning easy. As a prize he wanted to fight the King (Supposedly one of the heroes of old time.) And as the red knight humiliated the other knights, he was humiliated by the king. For some strange reason it has become a tradition that young nobles who want to get their feet wet in tournaments dress up as the red knight to get defeated by the older, more experienced fighters.

Nevarl: The nation and town of Nevarl is led by the cutthroat merchant, the richest individual in Nevarl and supposedly a descendant of the heroes of old. It’s a great trade hub and goods from all over the land somehow make their way there and it’s said that you can buy everything… For a price.

The nevarl desert is full of ruins, caves and dungeons, a lot of them are still unmapped and there is a steady stream of goods that come out of these ruins. There is a rumor that all of these ruins are somehow connected, with some of these having connections with one another, these rumors seem to have some truth.

Somewhere in the Nevarl desert the sprite Salamander and Shade are resting.

Dungeon delvers trained in Nevarl are known to have a good grasp on magic, even if they are not necesarrily magicians themselves.

Favors are traded far more often than money and seem to be in higher demand than money.

Laurent: Not much is known about the leadership of Laurent, travel there is harsh even with magical help. The dwarves tell of a belevolent pair of rulers who mostly want their people to prosper in peace.

Ferolia (aka the Beast Kingdom): The Beast Kingdom is, as far as anyone knows, ruled by the Beast king. The mightiest off all the people who live there. Relatively recently (for about the last 10 years). The Kingdom has closed off it’s borders and seems to be want to be left alone. Occasionally there may be trade contact from inside the kingdom, but the traders are very tight-lipped. Most residents of Ferolia look at least a little more beastlike than the rest (think like shifters from Eberron) and they are told that they are masters of commanding animals and proud of they're martial provess.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2023-02-28 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOC Alhallor's mana secret 2

I shall repost my weird plot thing that I infrequently update because I am lazy and permanently low energy.

Spoiler: Ridai's Plotovillogram (as of 2022-08-29)
    Show

Plot Thread Description Status Led to...
    Holy Cavern Chanties High Priest of Wendel, Ethan, needs Wisp to cure deadly curse on King Chanterelle Resolved. Retrieved Wisp from Cascade Caverns. Got lured into trap by Jerry, the evil tomato man, seems to be Ethan's enemy. King Chanterelle healed. - Mart, The Misled Cultist
    - Duran's Rest
    - The Claw-Birthed Lady
    - Goddamn Motherflippin' Jerry
    - The Black Rabite
    Mart, the Misled Cultist A cultist called Mart tried to attack Coney and other rabites, his cult believing monsters will one day unite and wipe out humanity, especially the intelligent ones, under the leadership of the Black Rabite, with the party being thralls of said rabite. Resolved. Calm emotions made him open to talk, was convinced he was being manipulated. A few party members watched and eavesdropped on a meeting of Mart with the presumed leaders of the cult. Learned they will be attacking the mixed rabite-human settlement of Rabiton in the Forest of Seasons. Mart chose to reform himself, defended Rabiton from the cultists. Seems to be staying there. - Cultists At Rabiton's Gates
    Duran's Rest During their trip through the Cascade Caverns, Aned found a map, detailing the location of a Chobin village and the resting place of the Valsenan hero Duran, mysteriously not located in Valsena. Pending. So far not followed up upon. Aned contacted the group to tell them the maps she received told her Duran's Rest is located at the bottom of Cascade Caverns. -
    The Claw-Birthed Lady High Priest Ethan's divinations achieved little in regards to determining who placed the curse on King Chanterelle, except for the name "The Claw-Birthed Lady" Ongoing. Jerry had contact with the Claw-Birthed Lady, the latter being rather irate with the tomato man. A claw birth is a brutal one where usually beastman child and mother die. Calling herself what she does is unusual. She contacted Archon Megralras and inspired him to do what he did, along with telling him about the Temple of Water and the Shademass there. She also inspired the cultists. Allegedly a mistress of Shade magic. She is a follower of the Eternal Devourer (touched by it directly even), and seeks to wake the Black Rabite and bring it into this realm. She is shielded against divinations, and tried to meet Shade, but did not want to pay the price for being taken to him by Charon. Has eight claws on her back, is expertly skilled in all kinds of magic. Tried to kill Shade in order to replace him and become the new Shade, but could not fully cross the sea due to not paying the price. According to Shade, Gargama, the leader of the anti-monster cult situated in Altena, knows how to find her. - Finding Shade
    - Cultists 2: Altenan Boogaloo
    The Black Rabite Tales of the Black Rabite have been encountered, along with the cult believing it to rise eventually, as well as dreams of being chewed on by a dark force. Ongoing. Went to Rabiton to stop the cult and perhaps learn more about the rabite there, then went to Valsena for more research. The Beastman Archons revealed it is a reoccuring catastrophe, in a cycle of sleep and resurfacing. Only the elves or Sage Joch might still know anything about it. The sage is living in a tower on an island near the Valsenan coastline. Upon meeting the sage, they were told the Black Rabite drifts into and out of various states of sleep, and it waking would be dire indeed, an almost unstoppable force. The Claw-Birthed Lady seeks to wake it, and thus far has managed to make it stir, which affected the world already. The Black Rabite is strongly associated with Shade. When it still was a normal rabite, it challenged Shade repeatedly, always losing, and a sort of friendship evolved. Until after enough defeats, its fur turned black and it gained extreme power. It used to be called Tenemeda. It planned to devour the Mana Goddess. - The Claw-Birthed Lady
    - Cultists At Rabiton's Gates
    - Shade's Day Ghoul Fever
    - A Visit to Sage Joch
    Goddamn Motherflippin' Jerry There is an evil tomato man who hates Ethan, is looking for Gnome, and is perhaps aligned with the Eternal Devourer, a mythical Shade-Dryad amalgamation eating and negating everything around it. Summoned undead aligned with it. Pending. So far not followed up upon. Gnome's last known location is with dwarves in Laurent (formerly Valsena?). Seems frustrated by his life, makes a lot of enemies. The Claw-Birthed Lady hates him. He is trying to make a pact with Gnome for more power. He stole knowledge from Sage Joch, namely the beginnings of an emergency teleporation spell. Past experience tells us he already made it work. He once tried to help the six heroes, but failed, making him quite old, bitter, and resentful. - The Eternal Devourer
    The Eternal Devourer The Eternal Devourer, a mythical Shade-Dryad amalgamation eating and negating everything around it. Legend says it ensures the world does not overburden itself by being the counterbalance to creation. Mostly worshipped by destructive monsters and a few beastmen, but also gluttons. Coney possesses an amulet dedicated to it. Devotees instill it with the correct power to worship the Devourer, and they usually have apprentices. One of them could perhaps be found in the Cascade Caverns. Ongoing. Bits of information came up every now and then. It is a deity of sorts, its power uncertain. The elves believe it to be a possible aspect of Dryad. Its cult is about devouring, gluttony, and destruction for the sake of it. Beast worshippers think concepts need to be destroyed, like civilization, farming, etc. Neither Dryad nor Shade condone their acts. It can reach out and instill power in individuals, like it did with the Claw-Birthed Lady. - The Claw-Birthed Lady
    - The Black Rabite
    Cultists At Rabiton's Gates The monster-hating Black Rabite conspiracy theorist cult wants to attack and wipe out the rabite-human settlement of Rabiton in the Forest of Seasons. Resolved. Helped prepare Rabiton against attack, repelled the attack, took survivors prisoner, handed them over to Valsenan mercenaries, also negotiated mercs protecting and fortifying Rabiton. A few members of the cult are still out there. Thaum was told about the Temple of Water by Rem. Rina and Aned depart the group to investigate in their homelands. The group departs to Valsena to continue Black Rabite investigations. - Mad Like A Hooter
    - Worg Away
    - Silktail Shenanigans
    - A Day At The Tourney
    - Shade's Day Ghoul Fever
    - Temple of Water
    Mad Like A Hooter The Forest of Seasons is inhabited by Nemesis Owls, naturally mad predators twisting any use of magic to inflict their madness on the user. A constant threat for anyone in the forest. Resolved. Captured one owl for Rince, the mage of Rabiton, who developed a mask protecting the user from being affected by the madness, and could identify the organ making the owls mad. Developing a cure for that madness. -
    Worg Away Worgs tried to get into Rabiton and while they were fended off by local traps and Larimar, they are still out there. Resolved. Worgs convinced to leave Rabiton and the rabites alone, especially after taking down a Nemesis Owl attacking them and the group. Zanthia left the group after a disagreement about how the situation was handled. -
    Silktail Shenanigans A stronger (and pink) subspecies of rabites, silktails, are causing mayhem in the forest. Resolved. Followed trail, found a partially awakened rabite tribe trying to awaken a silktail to serve as their guardian against monsters and other tribes, which if done wrong would have brought a great evil into the world. Defended the tribe against a Nemesis Owl and several Needlions. Convinced the tribe to join Rabiton, for mutual safety. The knocked out Nemesis Owl was captured and brought to Rince in Rabiton. Rabite Tribes
    Rabite Tribes There are three rabite tribes in the Forest of Seasons, not intent on living in Rabiton, but also a threat to each other. Resolved. One tribe joined Rabiton. The Blue Singers tribe has in the meantime been approached by Rabbiton and joined them, negotiations are still ongoing with the Yellow Stingers tribe. -
    A Day At The Tourney Entering Valsena, the group hears about a tourney held in honor of the Valsenan princess. Resolved. Larimar entered the archery competition, the rest were in the audience. Larimar handily won, woo'd a Chobin lady, and caught the interest of the young princess with his show. A rabite knight called Pawel championed for Coney, a lady knight called Varin championed for Thaum. Thaum, only vaguely familiar with Valsenan gift-giving traditions for when one is championed for, accidentally proposes marriage to Varin through his gift. -
    Shade's Day Ghoul Fever Thaum is approached by an old man, Duncan, in the Valsenan library while researching the Black Rabite. Duncan's granddaughter Mercy fell gravely ill after returning from a trip of gathering alchemical ingredients. Duncan admits that the Healer's Guild is pressuring him to lead Thaum into a trap. Resolved. Mercy was healed from a particularly powerful ghoul fever variant, Thaum and Coney learned of a strange man near the Temple of Water who is most likely the one who infected Mercy. Healer's Guild rolls up to them outside of Duncan's home like a bunch of thugs to try and force Thaum into the guild if he wants to continue healing on their territory. Thaum gets legit angry, Coney spokespersons the guild into submission like a champ. Jahn and Ken join group at Valsenan inn and the group heads to the Temple of Water to look for the culprit. Meet a suspected vampire boy in the forest, leave him alone for now to avoid hostilities. At the temple, meet pilgrims there, hearing of failed expeditions inside and dreams of being chewed on, aligning with Black Rabite omens. They head into the temple, finding a black slime there revealing to be feeding on the mana there and being responsible for the disease that infected mercy. Attacks and is defeated, revealed to be a woman underneath the slime [OOC: Fanha from SoM]. Some of the group invest mana into the temple to help it mend from all the harsh Shade alignment going on. Back outside, they look for the culprits of spreading the disease, finding the man from Mercy's recollection and the boy, who have been physically changed into shade-alignment and magically forced to do the woman's bidding, after having been injected forcibly with a black concoction by a beastman, threatening even worse punishment if they don't obey. Now freed of the influence, the disease will no longer be spread. - A Shady Beastman
    - Healing Miguel and Alrik
    - Trouble in the Elven Forest
    Temple of Water An ancient Undine temple was discovered a day's travel away from Valsena. Perhaps it might have some clues for Thaum's condition. Mostly resolved. Temple was infested with a shade-aligned woman feeding on the place's mana and who was plotting to spread her corruption further. Was defeated by the group. Temple is currently recovering with the mana invested by several group members. - Finding Undine
    Finding Undine Due to healing the temple, the group is aware of Undine's location, several days away from the Temple of Water. She might have insights into Thaum's condition. Pending. Not followed up upon so far. Undine seems to currently move towards Altena. -
    Healing Miguel and Alrik With the death of the shade-woman in the Temple of Water, Miguel and Alrik no longer have to spread the dark coin-based empowered ghoul fever. However, they have been semi-permanently shade-aligned, but there might be ways to reverse this, to undo the harm forced onto them. Resolved. Several leads include:
    - finding Undine to empower Thaum's healing
    - getting their hands on what was injected to craft an antidote (most likely the beastman responsible has something)
    - getting Wisp to counter what was done
    - finding Fiona, Thaum's former classmate, in Valsena, who was strong in channeling Shade
    - getting the help of elven druids to try and reincarnate or resurrect Migúel and Alrik, but they might not be willing to help
    - finding a benevolent dragon roosting somewhere in the Nerval mountain range, with finding, navigating, and surviving being non-trivial
    - finding Garzwer from the three golden paths, living in a tower near Wendel, but the mage is implied to be a bit of a crook and a bastard

Miguel and Alrik were brought to Wendel and given into the care of Charon Otyusk, under order of the High Priest Ethan, to be cured and cared for.
    - A Shady Beastman
    - Trouble in the Elven Forests
    A Shady Beastman A beastman from Ferolia worked with the woman from the Temple of Water, injecting Miguel and Alrik with black liquid to enslave them to her influence. He needs to be found and stopped, and he may carry a sample of what was injected. Resolved. The beastman in question was Megralras, one of the Archons of Ferolia. He brought suffering to the settlement of Mintos and attempted to create a Shade-mana-infused army to topple the Beast King. Was found in his hidden laboratory near the capital of Ferolia, defeated, and brought back to the capital, where he was taken prisoner for the time being. What will happen to him is yet to be decided. The Beast King trusted him, giving him a ring made out of his hair, now kept by the party for the time being. He was magically contacted by the Claw-Birthed Lady, revealed to be a mistress of Shade magic, who inspired him to do as he did, and pointed him to the Temple of Water and the Shademass therein. Her location is unknown, but Shade, somewhere in the Nevarl desert, may know more. - Finding Shade
    - Goddamn Motherflippin' Jerry
    - Finding Gnome
    - Finding Sylph
    - Finding Dryad
    - Finding Luna
    - I Am Thou, Thou Art I
    Trouble in the Elven Forests Rumors of something bad happening in the elven forests are going around. Resolved. The elves were attacked and besieged by an invisible creature. Attempts to see through its invisibility either killed or drove people insane. Rina tried and she was afflicted with the latter, the elves putting her into a magical sleep so she does not harm others or herself. The group dove into her dreams and fought the affliction, causing Rina to wake back up. The party used dried blood of the beast on the defensive barrier of the elven village to make potions to see the beast and not be driven insane, hunting it down, and killing it. After the events, the party set off to visit Sage Joch. - A Visit to Sage Joch
    Finding Shade The sprite Shade resides somewhere in the Nevarl desert, in an old temple in the midst of an "uncrossable sea". He might know the location of the Claw-Birthed Lady and know something about the Eternal Devourer. Resolved. The group located Shade in the Nevarl desert, in a shadowy place hidden behind ruins hidden in a cave, with the help of a Nevarlan tiefling guide called Eliana. The price for crossing the shadow sea via Charon was already paid by Coney's pact magic. Shade told the group a little about the Claw-Birthed Lady, as well as to find her by finding Gargama, the leader of the cult that attacked Rabiton. Shade also gave Thaum the ability to restore "shaded" memories. - Cultists 2: Altenan Boogaloo
    - Lil' Construct Boy
    A Visit to Sage Joch Sage Joch is one of the few people alive who might still know more about the Black Rabite. He is living in his tower on an island near the Valsenan coastline (exact location known). Resolved. The party sailed from the elven island to the island of Sage Joch, meeting him and his apprentice Jeck. He told the party the connection between the Claw-Birthed Lady, the Black Rabite, and the Eternal Devourer, followed by teleporting the party to Nevarl in order to locate Shade, in hopes of finding the Claw-Birthed Lady before she can make any more progress towards waking the Black Rabite. - Finding Shade
    Finding Gnome Gnome, Sprite of Earth, is currently witht he dwarves in the Laurent mountain range where Sylph is as well, acting as good-natured quarreling neighbors. Jerry is looking for Gnome, and the sprite might know what Jerry is after. Pending. Not followed up upon yet. -
    Finding Sylph Sylph, Sprite of Air, is the patron sprite of Laurent's amazons, residing on the tops of the Laurent mountain range. Good-natured quarreling neighbor with Gnome at the moment. Sylph might know much about the mountain range. Pending. Not followed up upon yet. -
    Finding Dryad Dryad, Sprite of Wood, resides in the heart of the Four Seasons Forest. She might be the cause of the forest's unique properties. Might also know more about the Eternal Devourer. Pending. Not followed up upon yet. -
    Finding Luna Sylph, Sprite of Moon, resides in a tower in the forest of Ferolia, where the moon is always in the sky and always full. She is said to be "on the rise" at the moment, leading to an increase in powerful monsters, something last observed during the time of the three heroes. The current Beast King always makes a pact with her, leading to dangerous monsters always coming after the king first, then the population. She could give information about why this rise is happening, though she is apparently capricious. Pending. Not followed up upon yet. -
    I Am Thou, Thou Art I A pact can be forged with a Sprite if one has a strong connection with it. Allegedly, it does not lessen the Sprite at all, but strengthens the recipient. Usually, the Sprites demand a task for their aid. The current reigning Beast King is one example, always having a pact with Luna for power, but also having the monsters of the Ferolian forest go after him first, before going after the citizens. Pending. Not followed up upon yet. -
    Cultists 2: Altenan Boogaloo The anti-monster cult that attacked Rabiton has their headquarters in Altena. Their leader, Gargama, knows the location of the Claw-Birthed Lady. Pending. Not followed up upon yet. -
    Lil' Construct Boy The party defeated constructs placed by the first queen of Altena, Ophelia Ashatana, presumably to protect the entrance to Shade's domain. They found a magical core, filled with a true intelligence, in the remains. Thaum took the core with him, in order to give it a proper body instead of letting it remain without senses for an unknown amount of time. A proper golem body available in Valsena or Altena will be required. Pending. Not followed up upon yet. -
    to be continued

Spoiler: Some extra info Thaum knows about Altena
    Show
    Altena consists of two settlements. The harbor town Alrant, acting as Altena's gate to the world. Has a school, but no increased focus on magic. Has a presence of witch soldiers, but not too many.

The other is the capital of Altena, offering an unsurpassed amount of magic, as well as the school where Thaum learned his craft.

Both places are comfortably warm, though snow still lies around here or there for aesthetic reasons (and for parents to teach children the joy of physical labor).

Thaum has only heard good things about the snow fairies, like if you get lost in the snow, you should look for them to have them guide you back.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-10-18 at 03:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks for this, Alhallor, and thanks for the plot update, Ridai!
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm gonna assume that you take a rest for the next post, just that you know, that seems to be what you wanted to do.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yes please. The only reason that I didn't post "and then she went to sleep" was just in case there were objections from the others (as happened before the dream battle...and everything worked out fine). I would very much appreciate fast forwarding the nine hours required for her to have gotten in a recharge.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

No complaints about resting. Thaum is pretty low on spells as well.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Also after the rest you regain the level 3 spell slots you once invested into the water temple.

And I'm going to give you XP tomorrow for the nightmare fight. It may be that Ken and Jahn level up after all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    Oh and please all of you roll Intiative two times, two times spot, once a sense Motive, everything who has ranks in heal can roll that once (I think it's only Thaum but I haven't internalized every bit of your charakter sheets... Yet.) Once Survival even if untrained. If you have modifications when that should come up I'd add that to the roll.
    Initiative: (1d20)[3] / (1d20)[9]
    Sense Motive: (1d20-1)[12]
    Spot: (1d20-1)[7] / (1d20-1)[9]
    Survival: (1d20-1)[15]

Listen for good measure (and because I'd like to have at least some rolls with positive modifiers): (1d20+12)[28] / (1d20+12)[27]

Regarding rations, that is what Jahn's Travel Cloak is for. It provides daily food/water and turns into a one-person tent for when we inevitably camp outdoors in addition to providing the benefit of Endure Elements against cold environments. A very convenient item for 1,200gp (Magic of Faerun pg. 166).
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-01-19 at 06:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The math has been done.

Ken and Jahn both get 5040 EXP.

Thaum, Coney and Larimar all get 4250 EXP.

Sadly there have been no treasure out of the nightmare aside from the warm feeling that you have helped a friend in need.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That's just enough to bump Jahn a level, giving him some new spells.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Jahn and Ken joined the group at the same time, IIRC.

Something is off with the XP total on my sheet. Right now it would put Ken at level 8, which is clearly wrong as he's been at 9 for a while.

Should I assume that his XP match Jahn's?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

@kinem: yes you can assume that your exp is the same as jahns. I never did give different amounts of XP, that means it should work out.

@all except aegis: I'd need Initiative rolls from everyone and please make clear either IC or OOC if you drink "the stuff".
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-01-22 at 03:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Initiative (1d20)[15] (1d20)[5]

When in doubt, Thaum will drink the stuff. No idea how the others want to handle things, since it seemed like various approaches were mentioned, and Thaum kind of has to adjust based on what the others want to do.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn will drink the stuff. IC post also put up indicating he drank it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken's Initiative (1d20+3)[9]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Sorry for any delay I’m causing. I’m recovering from a concussion, and have been told repeatedly to limit screen time for a few days. I’ve got to ration what I’ve got for work. I’ll be back to full speed in a few days. Again, my apologies, and just assume that I’m tagging along if you need to move something forward.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Yikes. Best wishes for a quick full recovery!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Oof. Here's hoping for a swift recovery.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Sorry for any delay I’m causing. I’m recovering from a concussion, and have been told repeatedly to limit screen time for a few days. I’ve got to ration what I’ve got for work. I’ll be back to full speed in a few days. Again, my apologies, and just assume that I’m tagging along if you need to move something forward.
    Take care of yourself and take the time you need.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Take all the time you need Toliudar, we won't be running away lightning fast.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm pushing you a bit here, but don't be afraid. I'm gonna post again at Monday.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, hello again! Sorry, I forgot to subscribe to this thread.

initiative1: (1d20+7)[25]

initiative2: (1d20+7)[19]

spot1: (1d20+10)[15]

spot2: (1d20+10)[22]

Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[8]

Survival: (1d20+8)[17]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You can still try an ambush if you want, I just wanted to give you a first good look at the creature.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Um.. how would we ambush this creature if we've already stumbled upon it?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well you can still use the plan about setting up a false camp-site. Change the battlefield, maybe have a better vantage position, etc...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

So are you saying you would retcon the monster coming into our trap instead?

Uh... okay.

I'll try a roll anyway. survival: (1d20+8)[15]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I wanted to give you options (which is a bit hard to totally transcribe in PbP format, I should have made that more clear somehow)

you can engage the creature here or change up the battlefield by various means (like making a false campsite or trying to lure it to another place.)

If you encounter it here I'll take Ken's castings as the order of how he casts his spells.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm personally good with just going in swords drawn as is, though if others want to take advantage of the potential for map alteration I'm all ears. I'm just going to set up DFI keeping Jahn's voice relatively soft to try to avoid waking the beast either way.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'm also good with dealing with the critter closer/sooner, if that's an option.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Well, let's just say that Larimar is up in a tree or something, and he would probably be okay if the beast knocks over the tree, or Coney could benign transposition up there if she wants to swap places.