New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOC Alhallor's mana secret 2

I think a certain thing about blink has been forgotten.

(1d100)[23] if 20 or under attack misses (because it's not Improved Blinking: "now in 3D.")

Nearly a hit!

The smoke is cleared. Let's see what else will be happening.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-02-16 at 06:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Let's try a knowledge nature check and a spot check to see if it might actually be dead?

nature: (1d20+6)[12]

spot: (1d20+10)[16]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    I think a certain thing about blink has been forgotten.

[roll0] if 20 or under attack misses (because it's not Improved Blinking: "now in 3D.")

Nearly a hit!

The smoke is cleared. Let's see what else will be happening.
    Whoops, I did forget to roll that. Thanks for the catch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

How many more rounds of fire do we have??

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The two rounds where we don't have any apparent threats.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Has Thaum seen rock sharpening spells before? Spellcraft (1d20+11)[12]

Damn Gnome magic, who would ever learn about that.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-02-18 at 11:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

People who run away a lot?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just a quick update, the broad plant monster has been burned down.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

ooopsies. Here is the extra fire damage. looks like all the arrows hit!

(4d6)[23]

(4d6)[6]

(4d6)[13]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken Fort vs weakness/sickness/nausea all DC 16 (1d20+16)[32], (1d20+16)[29], (1d20+16)[19]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Congratulations!

I did try something weird with that boss fight and it made me feel pretty much like controlling a super robot.

The big thing had 3 actions a round (but needed an action to move. The trample at the beginning did cost it basically 2 actions.)

I'm kinda happy with it but I think I could have tweaked some elements a bit more.

And you find some things off your defeated… Things. (With Coney and Windstruck probably still finding magic and Thaum identyfying said magic.)

The Teeth of Az'Na'Shur

These teeth Look Pretty sharp and a bit unsettling. They are nearly indestructible with the exception when you wanna eat them. They are like hard candy in the mouth of any creature that have teeth. Eating them gives you toothache for a day (you're basically sickened for a day). But then subtly changes the teeth of the affected creature and after that conveys some Benefits. When the creature that has eaten the teeth dies, The Teeth of Az'Na'Shur appear on the slain body of the death creature.

Benefits of the teeth.

-If you don't have a bite attack you gain one appropriate to your size. (If you already have a bite attack treat your bite attack as if you were one size category larger.)
    -Gain a untyped bonus towards Intimidate (+2)
    -Gain a alchemical bonus towards poison saves (+5)
    -Should you hit with a bite attack you can release a Poison 1x per day. The save is 10 + 1/2 your Level + your Con-modifier and deals 1d6 strength damage on the first and the second save.
    -Doesn't occupy a magic item slot.

2x Healing moss

-Like a potion of Cure Serious wounds (Heal 3d8+5 HP)

Bundle of vines, moss and bark. (worn by the moss monster)

- +4 Wisdom
    - 1x per day can give one weapon that you are wearing Bane (elves)
    - Occupies throat Slot.
    - can be worn by elves.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-02-23 at 07:12 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I love the way your magic items are connected to the creatures we fight. Sometimes, as in this case, literally.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    I love the way your magic items are connected to the creatures we fight. Sometimes, as in this case, literally.
    And I like designing them. If I was a better artist I would try to hand out some pictures but I think it's still alright.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

How many teeth are available? I don't see much downside to them, though Jahn mostly uses standard action attacks and wouldn't get to bite often, so if they're limited in number I'd pass on the teeth.

Wis is also not a stat of interest for Jahn, so someone else can probably make better use of the shroud of vines.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

The vines sound like they can only be used by elves.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-02-24 at 01:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The teeth can only be eaten by 1 person.

The tangled up stuff that gives a wisdom bonus should have the "can only be used by elves" tag.

But it can still be hypothetically tricked by UMD checks.

I wanna point out that you don't need to use any of the items most of them just exist.

Also im not sure if I handle bardic knowledge correctly?

I think it tells stories that exist in the world and gives a more broader general knowledge, which can have something to do with the current situation but are mostly just stories.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like the way you're handling Bardic Knowledge; the description of the ability is sufficiently vague that I suspect it could be handled in a myriad of ways and probably be correct. Your way is especially flavorful.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

None of the items seem to be a good fit for Coney.

I'm a bit blurry on how far we are from the elf place. If it's more than about an hour's walk, assume that Coney is bringing out the phantom mounts to get us back fast.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I think it took us just about a day of traveling to get where we are at now, and night has begun to fall.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So, a few hours on the ethereal mounts to get back in a few hours, or camp overnight here? Coney can see in the dark (and so can everyone else, for the next hour or so), so can lead the way.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

It took several hours on foot, so with the extreme speed of the ethereal mounts (more than six times our normal overland speed and double-moves don't tire them), it might only be an hour or two, plus we have unlimited range darkvision. I think it's worth to ride back now.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-02-27 at 11:30 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm good with returning under the cover of darkness.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you want to sell the moss clump you can sell it HERE for 20.000. (Because the elves aren't bothered by items that can only be used by them.) Also you read that correctly, HERE you don't half that, because they think it's a pretty important item for them (may also include some kind of Bounty for bringing down that Thing)

Should you want to sell the teeth you can do so for 10.000.

Regarding XP you get some.

Everyone gains 4000 XP!

I'll gonna prepare some others stuff you may want to do, but the world is again pretty open toward what you want to do and there are no new plot threads springing up… AT THE MOMENT!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

If no one uses the elves only item, I think we can just sell it here. As for the teeth, I'm like "maybe just throw it on Coney for the funsies?" if no one wants it? Thaum could use the Wisdom part of the elvish item, but he has no UMD so putting it on or off would be a major hassle everytime.

750 XP away from a level up!

I'll need to remind myself what has been going on before this whole island adventure, it has been a while.

Also, yeah... Thaum's healing is pretty brutal now, and may well be too brutal for this game, even with the nerfed version of Improved Healer's Blessing. The dream fight wasn't that much of an indication because that wasn't a really representative encounter in regards to what encounters are like in this game, but the fight we were just in was. And it felt like Thaum had a somewhat trivial time keeping everyone afloat, with only a slight gamble at the end where he didn't fully heal Ken to instead try and dispel something. But even that was like "left Ken with 4/5 of his HP instead of capped or overhealed".

If that's okay with you, then we can keep it, otherwise at this point I'm fine with removing IHB, so enemy damage output doesn't need to be cranked up higher. Though the big level 10 turning into a mostly dead level stinks a bit, not gonna lie.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2022-02-28 at 12:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I've been trying to fight my desire to optimize Coney - because even a so-so sorcerer is usually able to contribute something - and acknowledge the competing impulses to do something well and not devolve into rocket tag.

Ridai, while I feel bad about nerfing Thaum, would you consider taking his next level in a different class. Give him some added versatility, and slow the acquisition of stuff. Cleric for some domain abilities, monk to be able to punch stuff when he gets angry. Swordsage is a great dip.

I trust you and Alhallor to find a good balance for the character. These are just top-of-head suggestions.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yes the last fight has shown that IHB has been massive and I shudder to think what needs to be thrown at a team to keep the pressure on unnerfed.

Thankfully I have some free time and can ponder about it a bit.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Ridai, while I feel bad about nerfing Thaum, would you consider taking his next level in a different class. Give him some added versatility, and slow the acquisition of stuff. Cleric for some domain abilities, monk to be able to punch stuff when he gets angry. Swordsage is a great dip.
    Honestly, not continuing Healer might be the best option available to me right now. I went to check what is ahead, and while Thaum got a massive boost from IHB this level, next level gets him sixth level spells. And among those are these spells: energy immunity, greater dispel magic, hold monster, mass cure serious wounds, revive outsider, superior resistance, regenerate, tortoise shell, HEAL, as well as Advanced Learning. In other words, he gets a single target healing nuke and very, very potent buffs. To give an idea what heal by a level 11 Thaum would look like: CL 12 = 120 HP + 22 Healer's Blessing + 12 Augment Healing = 154 HP. And he could do that up to four times a day if he doesn't use any 6th level buffs.

I've no idea what to multiclass to, though. Thaum lacks every possible stat for melee/ranged attacking and doing so invalidates his sanctuary defense. Other caster classes would be wasted levels because getting into a new 1st level spell set would do precisely nothing, and it would also really, really go against Thaum's background. At most, I could go into a quirky skill-based PrC, though since I did not build for that, entry into those is likely a major issue.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

With a bit of retweaking, something like Evangelist prestige class, focusing on Thaum's already-considerable skills of persuasion, could work for you.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And now we got a Part II Hooo!

I'm working on a prestige class right now that may be interesting for some of you and I'm crafting a little something with Thaum which I would like to discuss with all of you before implementing. I'm also working on a little summary (what happened, what are your options, etc... etc...)

Which I will probably lay on you on monday.

Also the elves gave you a little something.

5 bottles of elven wine (The good one that heals 2d8+4 HP and removes Fatigue)

5 Acid Arrows +5.

20 Rations of elven bread (The good one that tastes phenomenal even after months.)

Puppets that look just like you in small.

3 Cloaks of Elvenkind and

3 Boots of Elvenkind.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn will pass on the items, since he's got more synergistic stuff in those slots.