New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Using Magic Mouth to Record Music?

So, I have a very specific use for the spell Magic Mouth in mind - I'd like to use it to create recordings of music. The spell reads pretty clearly that it records the caster's voice, but what I'm most curious about is whether or not the spell will record other sounds as well.

Here's the spell text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You implant a message within an object in range, a message that is uttered when a trigger condition is met. Choose an object that you can see and that isn't being worn or carried by another creature. Then speak the message, which must be 25 words or less, though it can be delivered over as long as 10 minutes. Finally, determine the circumstance that will trigger the spell to deliver your message.
    When that circumstance occurs, a magical mouth appears on the object and recites the message in your voice and at the same volume you spoke. If the object you chose has a mouth or something that looks like a mouth (for example, the mouth of a statue), the magical mouth appears there so that the words appear to come from the object's mouth. When you cast this spell, you can have the spell end after it delivers its message, or it can remain and repeat its message whenever the trigger occurs.
    The triggering circumstance can be as general or as detailed as you like, though it must be based on visual or audible conditions that occur within 30 feet of the object. For example, you could instruct the mouth to speak when any creature moves within 30 feet of the object or when a silver bell rings within 30 feet of it."

I'd like to think that this spell will would record and recite more than just the caster's words - could it also record humming? What about whistling or playing an instrument? Could it possibly record sounds around the caster such as other musicians?The long duration (10 minutes of possible 'recording') seems almost perfect for using this spell to record music - especially if the music has very limited lyrics.

Our party is a traveling band, and I'd really love if this sort of spell could be used to let the party record some music together and then potentially sell the Magic Mouth'd items as singles to our (surely-soon-to-be-discovered) devoted fans! Thanks all!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Using Magic Mouth to Record Music?

Quote Originally Posted by Droningbass View Post
    So, I have a very specific use for the spell Magic Mouth in mind - I'd like to use it to create recordings of music. The spell reads pretty clearly that it records the caster's voice, but what I'm most curious about is whether or not the spell will record other sounds as well.

Here's the spell text:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You implant a message within an object in range, a message that is uttered when a trigger condition is met. Choose an object that you can see and that isn't being worn or carried by another creature. Then speak the message, which must be 25 words or less, though it can be delivered over as long as 10 minutes. Finally, determine the circumstance that will trigger the spell to deliver your message.
    When that circumstance occurs, a magical mouth appears on the object and recites the message in your voice and at the same volume you spoke. If the object you chose has a mouth or something that looks like a mouth (for example, the mouth of a statue), the magical mouth appears there so that the words appear to come from the object's mouth. When you cast this spell, you can have the spell end after it delivers its message, or it can remain and repeat its message whenever the trigger occurs.
    The triggering circumstance can be as general or as detailed as you like, though it must be based on visual or audible conditions that occur within 30 feet of the object. For example, you could instruct the mouth to speak when any creature moves within 30 feet of the object or when a silver bell rings within 30 feet of it."

I'd like to think that this spell will would record and recite more than just the caster's words - could it also record humming? What about whistling or playing an instrument? Could it possibly record sounds around the caster such as other musicians?The long duration (10 minutes of possible 'recording') seems almost perfect for using this spell to record music - especially if the music has very limited lyrics.

Our party is a traveling band, and I'd really love if this sort of spell could be used to let the party record some music together and then potentially sell the Magic Mouth'd items as singles to our (surely-soon-to-be-discovered) devoted fans! Thanks all!
    There isn't any reason you shouldn't be able to. Magic mouth can also be cast multiple times on the same object, so you can have multiple people singing on the same track or multiple tracks that trigger under different conditions. This can also be used to the get around the word limit, though unless you're an illusionist wizard it might be hard to cut the audio together properly

The real issue with Magic Mouth CDs are the fact that the word limit is on top of a prohibition on instrumentals. Kenku and Changelings shapeshifted into Kenku can get around this through mimicry, but other races would need to somehow have Alter Self up while casting Magic Mouth which would be a problem since both spell would use your concentration

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

At a minimum, if you're a Kenku, since all of your speech is via mimicry of sounds and other people speaking, your magic mouths should be able to engage in the same mimicry.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not sure if it works by RAW, but it's fun, so I say go for it. I've used Kenku as juke boxes - they listen to a bunch of different songs, then go hang out in bars and "play" the songs for a few coins.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

If you invent rap first....
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

It’s entirely a DM decision. If you explain what you’re planning your DM may let you. If you want to “break” magic mouth then this would be the thin end of the wedge and allow for some ridiculous shenanigans… so they might not.

Accidentally deleted my post when trying to edit. Oops.

Here’s a thread a started a while ago about ways people might rule on some magic mouth stuff. I never posted my detailed write up of possible shenanigans but it might be of interest

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-mouth-rulings

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

I, for one, would like to hear Mordenkainen's Marvelous Mixtape.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark.Revenant View Post
    I, for one, would like to hear Mordenkainen's Marvelous Mixtape.
    This is one of the best things I've seen written in a long time... thank you.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

You could use it for "a cappella" style music.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh man, I'm totally going to have a bard use Magic Mouth as a beat-box.