New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default "Non-sensical" Batman gadget/property challange

Post here either batman gadgets/propertiess you think make no sense in the real world and/or ways to fix that.

Example:
    bat card(credit card with bat wing motive):

Fix:
    For a functioning personalized credit card batman would need to do the following things:
    a. reverse money launder considerable sums of money, so no one figures out batman's identity from his financial records.
    b. buy a custom credit card from an existing credit card provider or start his own.

My suggestion for a reverse money laundering scheme:
    - Get a company that is a legal entity on itself(LLC, cooperation I don't care). Make certain you get an overwhelming majority in the shares and a position that does let you make financial decisions up to like one billion without having to inform the rest. Optionally make certain this company does a lot of other things too like actually selling things.
    - Make with this company another legal entity with you at the unquestioned top, but now one with the extra requirement that it's not publicly traded and far from the public eye.
    - Make with this company another non-publicly legal entity, but this time with someone else as CEO, but the creating company as super powerful absolute majority share holder.
    - Make with this company a foundation with someone else as the boss, but the creating company as super powerful donator and now with a lot of badly administrated partitions(like archives, distribution centra, advisory teams, etc.).
    - Make one of these partitions the place where you store batman's everyday spending money and put yourself under a pseudonym as the one who controls this partition and its funds.

For ordering the custom card:
    Have the foundation give all partition heads the command to send in designs for a custom credit card, order all these designs and distribute them to the right partitions.
    The closest I get to clear and consise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherhero View Post
    Interesting read! Thanks for the post!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Non-sensical" Batman gadget/property challange

Shark repellant on a helicopter.

Specifically.

shark repellant alone is too easy and this is a challenge. to fix this, one has to explain to me why the shark repellant is on a helicopter, what use you get out of specifically putting it there.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    one has to explain to me why the shark repellant is on a helicopter, what use you get out of specifically putting it there.
    Sharknadoes?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Specifically.

shark repellant alone is too easy and this is a challenge. to fix this, one has to explain to me why the shark repellant is on a helicopter, what use you get out of specifically putting it there.
    Thats easy, when doing search and rescue in the bay, you use a helicopter to take your time spotting and retrieving victims. Of course, the sharks love free meals, so you need to put some shark repellant dispensers on the helicopter.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Nope and Nope.

1. sharknados aren't real

2. shark attacks are actually rare. there are many things more likely to happen and they wouldn't need a helicopter to rescue you, shark repellant would be a waste by itself. elephants, dogs and jellyfish are more dangerous.

the shark repellant by itself is easy, because all it would really be is a scam to convince ignorant beach goers they need it s you'd make money. a scam is technically a real life use, just for yourself and not anyone else. its figuring out why you'd put a near useless repellant in a helicopter that serves an actual use is the problem.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

People are terrified of sharks. I can see putting shark repellant in a helicopter for the same reason I can see putting a flotation device in one. Will you need it? Probably not. If the helicopter crashes will you be around to use it? Probably not. BUT if you do you'll be glad you have it.

If it were a real thing and I regularly operated a helicopter over the ocean I would definitely have a bottle onboard. Low risk, high reward.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    People are terrified of sharks. I can see putting shark repellant in a helicopter for the same reason I can see putting a flotation device in one. Will you need it? Probably not. If the helicopter crashes will you be around to use it? Probably not. BUT if you do you'll be glad you have it.

If it were a real thing and I regularly operated a helicopter over the ocean I would definitely have a bottle onboard. Low risk, high reward.
    Shark repellent is a real thing; a chemical shark repellent which was developed around WW2 was commonly supplied to US Navy sailors and aviators during WWII and for at least a couple of decades afterwards along with life vests/belts or as a part of the survival kits which were kept in life boats and life rafts, though its efficacy has at times been questioned. Other shark repellents have been developed since then, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if one form or another of it remained a fairly common inclusion in the survival kits found on the life rafts and life boats carried by oceanic vessels or by aircraft which frequently operate over the sea.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

All 30 milllion citizens of Gotham having a Wayne-phone, and then converting those phones into Sonar imaging technology, was pretty funny.

(Wait - 30 million? Even NY Metro isn't much over 20!)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Shark repellant is fine and has a certain logic to it. The real question is, why would you need a manta ray repellant? Mantas are completely harmless, after all.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smoutwortel View Post
    For ordering the custom card:
    Have the foundation give all partition heads the command to send in designs for a custom credit card, order all these designs and distribute them to the right partitions.
    He's Bruce Wayne, one of the richest men in the world. Batman in most versions is a celebrity.

Just tell the company that their new tier of credit cards above platinum, diamond or black, or whatever they have, should be "superhero level". So the ten richest people in the world have a Bat Card, or a Superman Card or a Wonderwoman Card.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nope and Nope.

1. sharknados aren't real
    Bah. Next time you'll tell me giant piranhas eating airliners are not real!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Shark repellent is a real thing; a chemical shark repellent which was developed around WW2 was commonly supplied to US Navy sailors and aviators during WWII and for at least a couple of decades afterwards along with life vests/belts or as a part of the survival kits which were kept in life boats and life rafts, though its efficacy has at times been questioned. Other shark repellents have been developed since then, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if one form or another of it remained a fairly common inclusion in the survival kits found on the life rafts and life boats carried by oceanic vessels or by aircraft which frequently operate over the sea.
    To my knowledge, no shark repellant has ever been developed that actually works. Some studies even indicate that some of the ones commercially marketed that emit electromagnetic signals might even actually attract sharks.

Theoretically something should be possible. I know great whites tend to flee an area when one of them is killed, so you could probably simulate that somehow, but it hasn't been done. It might also have the risk of drawing other wildlife even if it worked.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Shark repellent, whatever. Explain to me why he has BatShark repellent. Are BatSharks even real?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Specifically.

a list: smuggling(you smuggle whatever you smuggle in beef containment, happens with bananas can happen with meat), because I'm batman, batman is afraid of sharks and skydiving helicopter(tourists are afraid of sharks, but can still like skydiving above the sea)

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Shark repellent, whatever. Explain to me why he has BatShark repellent. Are BatSharks even real?
    The answer to this question is actually given in the comics:
    batman keeps to the bat theme, because he wants to build a reputation to inspire fear by criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    He's Bruce Wayne, one of the richest men in the world. Batman in most versions is a celebrity.

Just tell the company that their new tier of credit cards above platinum, diamond or black, or whatever they have, should be "superhero level". So the ten richest people in the world have a Bat Card, or a Superman Card or a Wonderwoman Card.
    In that case batman having a batman card would give a big indication of who's batman.
    It's why I needed the reverse money laundering scheme in the first place.
    This way batman doesn't have to show the fact that he is super rich, but can hide behind the possibility of being a community project or a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Shark repellant is fine and has a certain logic to it. The real question is, why would you need a manta ray repellant? Mantas are completely harmless, after all.
    If I may:
    Smuggling in meat(can happen with bananas, can happen with meat), batman is afraid of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    All 30 milllion citizens of Gotham having a Wayne-phone, and then converting those phones into Sonar imaging technology, was pretty funny.

I resent the fact that I can give you multiple real life examples of people who could pull this without anyone knowing.
    The top and system administrators of Qualcomm could probably pull this all individually without the rest finding out.
    The top and system administrators of Google could pull this individually without the rest finding out.
    The top and system administrators of ARM Core Bootloader could pull this individually without the rest finding out.

As for the number of people:
    There are enough cities with more than 30 million citizens in the world, maybe Gotham is one of these or Gotham had a big population boom thanks to some factors like time, many blackouts(there is a proven connection between blackouts and babies), rich inhabitants, lots of media coverage, lots of industry or there is some event going on and this actually also counts temporary residents.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-18 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Multiple posts merged

15. - Top - End - #15

There are enough cities with more than 30 million citizens in the world, maybe Gotham is one of these or Gotham had a big population boom thanks to some factors like time, many blackouts(there is a proven connection between blackouts and babies), rich inhabitants, lots of media coverage, lots of industry or there is some event going on and this actually also counts temporary residents.
    Enough as in, 2? https://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

16. - Top - End - #16

I resent the fact that I can give you multiple real life examples of people who could pull this without anyone knowing.
    The top and system administrators of Qualcomm could probably pull this all individually without the rest finding out.
    The top and system administrators of Google could pull this individually without the rest finding out.
    The top and system administrators of ARM Core Bootloader could pull this individually without the rest finding out.
    It wasn't the "Wayne accesses data from every Wayne phone" I was laughing at, that's definitely plausible - it was moreso the "turning them all into Sonar imaging devices that can 3D map the entire city in real time" thing.

Well, 30M would put Gotham at the third largest city in the world, behind only Tokyo and Delhi India. Certainly more populous than anything else in the US. But I wasn't actually questioning that. Rather, it was Lucius' claim that every single one of those people has the same carrier. I guess there are no Apple Stores in Gotham. (I mean, they'd get robbed every week, who could blame them?)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Bat-Credit Card is easy to explain, no need for any fancy scheme.

Batman saved Wayne Enterprises from a supervillain attack at some point, and being the philanthropist he is, Bruce Wayne extended a line of near-infinite credit to the Batman as thanks. Everyone knows Bruce is a bit of a crackpot so it's entirely in character for him to use his own clout to get a bank to issue a credit card with Batman's logo on it and an expiry date of Forever.

If people notice, Bruce can just admit he gave the Bat a credit card. He did much the same in Batman Inc. where he told everyone that he was the one footing the bill for the Batmobiles and Batwings.

Batman, of course, rarely uses the card, but he never leaves the cave without it.

18. - Top - End - #18

Flumph

Isn't King Shark a DC supervillain? Who can jump really high?

Honestly, that would be a fun mini-story for an annual or special with Bruce reminiscing on why that's in there.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

It wasn't the "Wayne accesses data from every Wayne phone" I was laughing at, that's definitely plausible - it was moreso the "turning them all into Sonar imaging devices that can 3D map the entire city in real time" thing.

Well, 30M would put Gotham at the third largest city in the world, behind only Tokyo and Delhi India. Certainly more populous than anything else in the US. But I wasn't actually questioning that. Rather, it was Lucius' claim that every single one of those people has the same carrier. I guess there are no Apple Stores in Gotham. (I mean, they'd get robbed every week, who could blame them?)
    You make a good point with "everyone has the same carrier". Normally this would result in a trust busting, so it actually requires an explanation on itself.
    What if this is a Gotham specific thing, because the main part of Wayne mobile factoring is done in Gotham and Wayne mobile phones are premium devices on themselves making Wayne phones in the area of Gotham not only the go to premium devices(apple), but also the go to budget devices(android).
    With a Qualcomm like business trust busting would be a lesser danger, because you're not that visible, but it seems these things are market as being from Wayne industries making that an inadequate way of fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    The Bat-Credit Card is easy to explain, no need for any fancy scheme.

Batman saved Wayne Enterprises from a supervillain attack at some point, and being the philanthropist he is, Bruce Wayne extended a line of near-infinite credit to the Batman as thanks. Everyone knows Bruce is a bit of a crackpot so it's entirely in character for him to use his own clout to get a bank to issue a credit card with Batman's logo on it and an expiry date of Forever.

If people notice, Bruce can just admit he gave the Bat a credit card. He did much the same in Batman Inc. where he told everyone that he was the one footing the bill for the Batmobiles and Batwings.

Batman, of course, rarely uses the card, but he never leaves the cave without it.
    That would give Bruce Wayne a certain responsibility towards Batman's actions, which can be problematic for him, since Batman often breaks the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Oops didn't know that.
    That could indeed be problematic.
    Additional suggestion. Having multiple phones is all the rage under the Gotham populace, so some people have like twelve smartphones.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-18 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Multiple posts merged

20. - Top - End - #20

Oops didn't know that.
    That could indeed be problematic.
    Additional suggestion. Having multiple phones is all the rage under the Gotham populace, so some people have like twelve smartphones.
    I'm starting to get the impression you made this thread primarily to gripe about the credit card thing
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

That would give Bruce Wayne a certain responsibility towards Batman's actions, which can be problematic for him, since Batman often breaks the law.
    Batman’s operates openly with the police in the Schumacher films. In the little flash back clip he was sitting in the courtroom in costume. So he’s fully government sanctioned.

In that case batman having a batman card would give a big indication of who's batman.
    It's why I needed the reverse money laundering scheme in the first place.
    This way batman doesn't have to show the fact that he is super rich, but can hide behind the possibility of being a community project or a thief.
    Also keep in mind, they were under Ivys spell at the time. It may have been Bruce Wayne’s card and he simply wasn’t thinking straight.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2022-01-18 at 02:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Batman’s operates openly with the police in the Schumacher films. In the little flash back clip he was sitting in the courtroom in costume. So he’s fully government sanctioned.

Also keep in mind, they were under Ivys spell at the time. It may have been Bruce Wayne’s card and he simply wasn’t thinking straight.
    1. Both these institutions have programs that allow for anonymous and non-fully verified people to take part. I always assumed batman used these routes, since most of his tricks would never pass law enforcement standards and he even has a few tricks that don't pass military standards.

2. Good point.
    I forgot the amount of excuses for investing in batman inconsequentially Bruce Wayne has is essentially unlimited.
    "I was poisoned with joker toxin when I made that decision. Well batman can keep it."
    "Oops administrative mistake"
    "He pretended to be a security company"
    "I didn't give him ten tons of gold what makes you think that? Yes, I bought ten tons of gold, but that is just stored safely in my gold reserves."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Of course they're real. He repelled one!

I cannot overstate my disappointment when I clicked that link, because i thought (for no reason, admittedly, since it's not even a Wayne Phone) that you meant the buttonless red phones in the Adam west series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    To my knowledge, no shark repellant has ever been developed that actually works.
    Sure it has. Rotting carcass scent.

Fonversely, sharks love the color yellow.

Specifically.

Oh, let me tell you, Chief, I got the perfect reason. It needs a bit o' exposition, so bear with me.

We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail.

What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour.

Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-18 at 08:19 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, let me tell you, Chief, I got the perfect reason. It needs a bit o' exposition, so bear with me.

We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail.

What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin' by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour.

Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.
    If the batshark repellent is for that, he's gonna need a bigger can.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    If the batshark repellent is for that, he's gonna need a bigger can.
    Well that depends on how concentrated it is.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't King Shark a DC supervillain? Who can jump really high?
    King Shark is a walking argument for getting Good Shark repellant. Not Bat Shark Repellant xD

While with the credit card thing.
    Im vaguely certain giving someone else money does not make you responsible for their actions.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    While with the credit card thing.
    Im vaguely certain giving someone else money does not make you responsible for their actions.
    "Aiding and abetting" is very much a thing. Batman is a vigilante.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Aiding and abetting" is very much a thing. Batman is a vigilante.
    Putting money on Batman is no bet, it's a sure thing.

Clearly Wayne enterprises run some kind of digital currency company, a BatCoin of you will.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2022-01-20 at 01:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Putting money on Batman is no bet, it's a sure thing.

Clearly Wayne enterprises run some kind of digital currency company, a BatCoin of you will.
    I'm half surprised batcoin isn't a real thing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm half surprised batcoin isn't a real thing.
    https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/batcoin/

Sadly, it apparently stands for Basic Attention Token and is marketed by Mozilla. No superhero connections visible.