New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Transmuted Spell and Prismatic Spray

I don't actually know how I'd rule this, I'm curious as to how others might, and my Google Fu is weak.

Like, for instance, would you have them just pay the 1 point to turn everything into X-type damage? Or would you have them pay all 4 or 5 points to change all the potential options into X-type damage? Or would you only have them pay the cost once you've determined that the spell does - in fact - do the type of damage after the die roll displays what type it is and then pay per result?

So... say you want to cast prismatic spray, but you're aiming for thunder damage; would you want the character to pay 1, 5, or a variable amount based on the results of the spell? Like, if the spell rolls a 3 and a 2 on the d8 for two targets, and then all non-damaging options for the rest of the targets, are you paying two points to switch them over to thunder damage?

Or some... other thing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Transmuted Spell and Prismatic Spray

Quote Originally Posted by Transmuted Spell
    When you cast a spell that deals a type of damage from the following list, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to one of the other listed types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, thunder.
    Emphasis mine. Variable. The spell doesn't deal a given damage type until you roll it. You'd then have to pay [separately] to change each type that wasn't already thunder to thunder.
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2022-01-17 at 09:06 PM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that it probably only changes one type at a time, though as DM I personally would allow you to change the whole thing at once. The metamagic is weak as it is.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    I agree that it probably only changes one type at a time, though as DM I personally would allow you to change the whole thing at once. The metamagic is weak as it is.
    Ditto. The spell has tough competition too.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't take Prismatic Spray for power, thats for sure. You take it for the shenanigans.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Technically, I'd have to say 1 point per ray you want to change. You have no idea which will strike, so I'd even make you pay up front. Not sure I like it but when you tried to de-randomize a randomized multi-effect spell, that's what you get.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by CapnWildefyr View Post
    Technically, I'd have to say 1 point per ray you want to change. You have no idea which will strike, so I'd even make you pay up front. Not sure I like it but when you tried to de-randomize a randomized multi-effect spell, that's what you get.
    I can understand the reasoning there.

If you have to pay "When you cast a spell," then you can't very well rely on the spell effects that occur after that point to determine how much you're paying.

I think this is going to be one of my weird questions I ask potential DMs. I don't think there's any one right answer, but it gives some insight into their thought process.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Order of Scribes wizard could theoretically make the prismatic spray just all be one color of damage so I think it's fair to let Sorcerer just change it to one damage type. I know one person who uses transmute spell just to RP being a water mage and I think that's cool. Change the words of a spell to water and that's essentially what you get. Waterball. Perfection. Only gripe could be that Order of Scribes makes changing spell damage types their whole thing so I could see an argument for making it a bit more expensive; however, you change the type of damage the spell does from the start and that's before you know if it even does damage with prismatic spray.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Emphasis mine. Variable. The spell doesn't deal a given damage type until you roll it. You'd then have to pay [separately] to change each type that wasn't already thunder to thunder.
    That's how I'd rule it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    You don't take Prismatic Spray for power, that's for sure. You take it for the shenanigans.
    Yes, but it's not a bad AoE against a crowd.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'd rule that you pick one damage type, and one type to change it to. For instance, you could choose to change all fire damage to acid damage. If you rolled fire damage, it would instead be acid, but if you rolled some other damage type, the metamagic does nothing.

Which probably makes it not worth using on Prismatic Spray, but that's OK, not every spell/metamagic combination has to work well.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11

Incorrect and you even quoted the necessary part first:

"When you cast"

Casting happens only once and before any damage is determined.

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessEternal View Post
    Incorrect and you even quoted the necessary part first:

"When you cast"

Casting happens only once and before any damage is determined.
    Can you elaborate? I'm not following you.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you elaborate? I'm not following you.
    I think he was referring to the quote about transmute cited above. It starts with "When you cast a spell .." which can be interpreted to mean that you have to change the damage type when the spell is cast not when you determine whether it hits anyone.

In addition, after reading through the description of Prismatic Spray - it describes it as firing 8 beams having different effects - some of which do damage. The die roll is to determine which of the rays hit a specific creature.

Given that description of the spell and the "When you cast ..." requirement of transmute, I'd think the approach I would use would be to let the sorcerer spend a sorcery point on transmute to change the damage of specific rays. For example, they could spend 1 point to transmute fire to cold. Alternatively, they could spend 5 points to change all of them to thunder damage if they liked - since the transmute happens at casting not when it is determined which beams hit.

One possible use would be to transmute fire to something else when fighting enemies immune or resistant to fire.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2022-01-20 at 08:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

...you know what, I should have read the whole spell description for myself before commenting. Sorry.