New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Character for Saltmarsh

Our group will be starting Saltmarsh soon and running through all the adventures as a campaign. Party of 4, maybe 5.

Group so far:
    - Echo Knight Fighter (strength based)
    - Soulknife Rogue/multiclass into fighter or ranger later on
    - Astral Monk OR Aberrant Mind Sorc
    - me
    - maybe one other player, hasn't committed to playing yet

What would you play with this group? We roll for stats. All official source material is allowed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Character for Saltmarsh

A light cleric with a decent charisma would be pretty good, or an artilllerist artificer. Something that is supportive, durable but also has some AOE blasting capability.

I've always wanted to play a light cleric that has a personality like a warm hug but who nonetheless incinerates their enemies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well looking at the group makeup it seems you have a fighter tank, a insanely high dps rogue, and a controller thus far. What I notably don't see is a healer and/or a solid buffer. The following 3 class choices are in general always good fits not matter the group makeup:

1. Moon Druid X. They're just so good and work as both a tank and dps quite effectively. In Saltmarsh especially your water based forms will change the "tide" of battle swiftly in the party's favor. Maybe talk to another player about riding atop you as a mount to better take advantage of the forms.

2. Twilight Cleric. This subclass of Cleric is in my mind the best cleric in the whole of DnD. Twilight Sanctuary's temp hp has a far more dramatic effect then you may think since every point of damage blocked by the temp hp is something you don't need to heal. As someone who DM'd for a Twilight Cleric in a year-long game, it was tricky trying to knock the party down. Combine Twilight Sanctuary with Spirit Guardians or Aura of Vitality then dodge each round to become a controller, dps, buffer, and annoying tank, all in one.

3. Artillerist Artificer. Similar to Twilight Cleric, your a consistent source of temp hp that will assist the party in both sustainability and combat boldness (how brave you're will to be). The pros to having an Artillerist over a Twilight Cleric are mainly outside of combat for your the skill monkey multi-tool that will do the investigation rolls to check for traps in every dungeon.

Now then, those are all good options but here's a quick firing of multiple other good picks:

1. Wizard. Yeah most groups benefit from having a wizard. Go Evocation if you want to light up your enemies without worry. Go Divination if you want more control and the possible ability to prevent crits on paralyzed allies. Be a Bladesinger if you want to be a nigh-unhitable dps.

2. 1 Life Cleric / X Shepherd Druid. This multiclass setup is either the best, or one of the best, healers in DnD. Given the example of a level 4 with this build you can put down your shepherd druid spirit then cast healing word, which will heal the target 1d4+7 and heal the rest of the part 3 hp assuming you have a 16 Wis. It'll be a saving grace in more then one occasion.

3. Paladin. I've never seen a group that's level 6 or higher not benefit from having a Paladin. Aura of Protection is just so good!

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomeWizardGuy

Twilight cleric is a better mechanical fit for sure, but I’d personally lean into tempest just because it’s more thematic for a nautical campaign.

Another good fit is celestial warlock. Provides healing and high charisma, but fathomless would be so cool.

And yeah, paladin is just plain awesome and fits almost everywhere.
    Emongnome

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I agree with the others - cleric is the obvious choice and also the one I'd try to avoid (personal preference) and go Druid, Celestial Warlock, Artificer, or Paladin if I really wanted to swing a sword.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    Twilight cleric is a better mechanical fit for sure, but I’d personally lean into tempest just because it’s more thematic for a nautical campaign.

Another good fit is celestial warlock. Provides healing and high charisma, but fathomless would be so cool.

And yeah, paladin is just plain awesome and fits almost everywhere.
    Tempest Cleric is a great idea (also fits the "in story" bits in Salt Marsh) and a good fit for the team you have, and even more to the point, is an all around great cleric sub class.

For the fifth person, any Druid or any monk.

(The current group I run in Salt Marsh (me DM) has:
    Barbarian (Totem Warrior)
    Monk (Drunken Master)
    Sorcerer (Shadow)
    Druid (Sheperd)
    Artificer (Artillerist) { <= the Protector Canon borders on OP (and I almost never call something OP in this game) }

The original group had a Tempest Cleric, but the player had to drop out so the Druid stepped in.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-18 at 12:13 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Thanks for all the suggestions! I typically play support classes, having previously played a lore bard, light cleric, divination wizard, moon druid and shepherd druid. I’m playing a monk in our current campaign, and while I’m enjoying it, 1/2 the party has died and had to reroll characters. In an effort to avoid that in the future I think I’ll go back to playing support.

I also realize this group is short on healing, which is really non-existent at this point. I was thinking of using temporary hit points as a way to help as others have suggested, but using the Inspiring Leader feat with a Charisma based class, like a warlock. Warlock also seems good for Pact of the Tome and Book of Ancient Secrets invocation to get rituals since we don’t have any ritual casters in the group. I could even get the Find Familiar ritual and have the familiar deliver potions of healing. I could get access to herbalism kit through my background to make my own healing potions.

Celestial warlock has access to some healing & restoration spells and could still blast when given the option. Not sure if I’m feeling the celestial vibe though. Was thinking more GOO, genie, or fathomless. I’ve never played a warlock though and not sure how the limited spell slots plays out. Thoughts?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnotaGuru View Post
    Celestial warlock has access to some healing & restoration spells and could still blast when given the option. Not sure if I’m feeling the celestial vibe though. Was thinking more GOO, genie, or fathomless. I’ve never played a warlock though and not sure how the limited spell slots plays out. Thoughts?
    This is a great class /subclass for being a support caster. Mine's a real joy to play: Tome Pact, yes she uses familiar a bit, rituals are handy as all get out, great choice. (And I love all of the extra cantrips). Can't go wrong, really.

(The long distance bonus action d6 healing pool is handy in a lot of different situations)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-18 at 03:27 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, I'd just throw something atypical like a Coast Druid (overlap control) or Tempest Cleric (Procan, or Umberlee if you are still FR), because pirate clerics are awesome, yar.

Celestials... the trick is that you aren't locked in to drinking the kool-aid like they imply. You have (or had, it's important to establish your relationship with your Patron(s) at session 0) some sort of pay for play arrangement. Maybe you're working off a debt - you were revived or freed of some sort of malediction, and now you've got a job to do to pay back the Powers that Be. Or you're a decent fellow, who happens to have a working relationship with a curious coatl.

Or if you are of a sinister bent, steal a page from the GOO build fluff and steal your power. Go full Ur-Priest. You are siphoning magical knowledge and energy off of one or more celestial beings, and your "pact responsibilities" are the things you have to do to keep from being discovered.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Yeah, I'd just throw something atypical like a Coast Druid (overlap control) or Tempest Cleric (Procan, or Umberlee if you are still FR), because pirate clerics are awesome, yar.

Celestials... the trick is that you aren't locked in to drinking the kool-aid like they imply. You have (or had, it's important to establish your relationship with your Patron(s) at session 0) some sort of pay for play arrangement. Maybe you're working off a debt - you were revived or freed of some sort of malediction, and now you've got a job to do to pay back the Powers that Be. Or you're a decent fellow, who happens to have a working relationship with a curious coatl.

Or if you are of a sinister bent, steal a page from the GOO build fluff and steal your power. Go full Ur-Priest. You are siphoning magical knowledge and energy off of one or more celestial beings, and your "pact responsibilities" are the things you have to do to keep from being discovered.
    Thank you for that twist! I certainly wasn’t thrilled about playing a goody celestial warlock. But this is great!

I had also thought about a land (coast) druid. I’m playing a shepherd druid in our long campaign and loving the class. Was thinking of something different this time around but still love the druid.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

If druid is on the table, stars druid is thematic as well and seem quite powerful (just from reading, never saw it in play).
    Emongnome

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    If druid is on the table, stars druid is thematic as well and seem quite powerful (just from reading, never saw it in play).
    Make a good navigator, that one.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

13. - Top - End - #13

Thank you for that twist! I certainly wasn’t thrilled about playing a goody celestial warlock. But this is great!

Couatls make great patrons because they are created by the gods to accomplish a specific task, which means you can have a huge variety of agendas. For example, my warlock's patron was created to by the gods of magic to locate and seal way cursed and dangerous magical artifacts so that they can't be misused. My character is a sort of arcane detective.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Another option for the not a goody two shoes Celestial warlock is to have your character unintentionally pass some sort of hero test probably by accident or cheating. An example might be a temple that had a series of puzzles and traps but it's been hundreds of years since the temples been abandoned and structural damage allowed you entrance to the final room without going through any of the tests. So you basically a tomb raider type thief but you touched the McGuffin which initiated the pact. And so your Patron is begging/pleading for you do hero stuff and will even bribe you with power to get you to do hero stuff.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quick update:

We will indeed have a group of 5:

-Fighter (switching from Echo knight to dual-wielding Rune knight...maybe. This player has a long history of changing his mind)
    -Rogue (staying with knife-throwing Soul knife, multiclass to fighter or ranger later)
    -Sorceror (Abberant mind)
    -Monk (new player, and unsure of subclass yet)
    -me*

Even though we are short on healing capabilities/divine caster, I've decided to play an Emerald Dragonborn Conquest Paladin. I've been reading the Wall of Fear guide almost since it started and I figure now is as good a time as any to play a fear-based tank. I really enjoy the controlling aspects of the game and we didn't have a true tank. Using fear effects will keep enemies off my squishy allies. Paladin gives us some healing and party buffs. I went with Dragonborn for the limited AoE breath attack and Dragon Fear feat at level 4. Never played the race either and the revised options in Fizban's look awesome. Emerald looked fun for the psychic damage (ties in well with the fear theme) and limited flight at level 5. Not to mention the breath weapon usage looks much improved.

My rolls: 17, 17, 17, 14, 11, 10. After racials, was thinking of 18, 14, 17, 10, 11, 19. Dragon Fear at 4, Resilient CON at 8. With a 14 DEX I can wear medium armor and still start with an 18 AC. Will also have better saves and initiative. I go Dexadin, but that doesn't seem very frightening. Or I could swap DEX and WIS. Thoughts?

16. - Top - End - #16

GnomeWizardGuy

Quick update:

We will indeed have a group of 5:

-Fighter (switching from Echo knight to dual-wielding Rune knight...maybe. This player has a long history of changing his mind)
    -Rogue (staying with knife-throwing Soul knife, multiclass to fighter or ranger later)
    -Sorceror (Abberant mind)
    -Monk (new player, and unsure of subclass yet)
    -me*

Even though we are short on healing capabilities/divine caster, I've decided to play an Emerald Dragonborn Conquest Paladin. I've been reading the Wall of Fear guide almost since it started and I figure now is as good a time as any to play a fear-based tank. I really enjoy the controlling aspects of the game and we didn't have a true tank. Using fear effects will keep enemies off my squishy allies. Paladin gives us some healing and party buffs. I went with Dragonborn for the limited AoE breath attack and Dragon Fear feat at level 4. Never played the race either and the revised options in Fizban's look awesome. Emerald looked fun for the psychic damage (ties in well with the fear theme) and limited flight at level 5. Not to mention the breath weapon usage looks much improved.

My rolls: 17, 17, 17, 14, 11, 10. After racials, was thinking of 18, 14, 17, 10, 11, 19. Dragon Fear at 4, Resilient CON at 8. With a 14 DEX I can wear medium armor and still start with an 18 AC. Will also have better saves and initiative. I go Dexadin, but that doesn't seem very frightening. Or I could swap DEX and WIS. Thoughts?
    When I saw your stat layout, swapping Dex for Wis was my first thought. Not sure what medium armor nets you. By the time you can afford to get the best armor, medium armor will put you down a point in AC (19 vs 20 as it sounds like you're using a shield). Initiative bump is nice, but failed Wisdom saves tend to hurt more than failed Dexterity ones. All in all, it's a judgement call which one you want to have at 14. Do you see your character as fairly agile or fairly wise? There you go.

Res (Con) is a great choice at 8th with an odd Con score like that.

Sound like fun and you won't be disappointed picking Paladin. You'll never be more than 10' from your friends.
    Emongnome