New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default The Boys Season 3: Boys Will Be Boys

Spoiler: Teaser
    Show

Short, but deeply unsettling. Anthony Starr is phenomenal. The ad with The Deep seemed a bit heavy handed, though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Boys Season 3: Boys Will Be Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Short, but deeply unsettling. Anthony Starr is phenomenal. The ad with The Deep seemed a bit heavy handed, though.
    I would say that The Boys has been never much about subtlety as a show.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Commando View Post
    Fair, but the subversive humor tends to be less in-your-face than having children say "it's hard to breathe" while burning a plastic trash pile in front of them.

4. - Top - End - #4

Fair, but the subversive humor tends to be less in-your-face than having children say "it's hard to breathe" while burning a plastic trash pile in front of them.
    Well, I would say that the whole superhero industry, the Homelander, Stormfront, the Deep, the Believe Expo are quite in-your-face - I won't go into details because I believe it would quickly go against the forum rules, but IMHO The Boys definitely lacks subtlety.

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, I would say that the whole superhero industry, the Homelander, Stormfront, the Deep, the Believe Expo are quite in-your-face - I won't go into details because I believe it would quickly go against the forum rules, but IMHO The Boys definitely lacks subtlety.
    They're not, though. The marketing around them hides everything pretty well, it's a carefully cultivated image. We see what it's really like because we see the things that aren't marketing. The ad in that teaser is marketing, though, and it's significantly different from all the other marketing. From an innocent viewers standpoint, it's a terrible ad and The Deep had to know wouldn't present the image he wants.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-18 at 11:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

They're not, though. The marketing around them hides everything pretty well, it's a carefully cultivated image. We see what it's really like because we see the things that aren't marketing. The ad in that teaser is marketing, though, and it's significantly different from all the other marketing. From an innocent viewers standpoint, it's a terrible ad and The Deep had to know wouldn't present the image he wants.
    Oh, you meant it's pretty heavy handed from the point of view of the secondary world.
    In that case, I would agree; still, it's not something that would look out of place in an Ennis' work, so it doesn't surprise me to see this kind of humour in the show as well.

7. - Top - End - #7

Oh, you meant it's pretty heavy handed from the point of view of the secondary world.
    In that case, I would agree; still, it's not something that would look out of place in an Ennis' work, so it doesn't surprise me to see this kind of humour in the show as well.
    Yeah. Like, I could easily see that happening in the actual world of The Boys, but I have a hard time believing it in as a corporate ad in that world.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah. Like, I could easily see that happening in the actual world of The Boys, but I have a hard time believing it in as a corporate ad in that world.
    I'd say it's in line with Vought's typical obliviousness personally.

Short, but deeply unsettling. Anthony Starr is phenomenal.
    Absolutely, he's phenomenal in this role. He looks like he's hanging on by a thread. Haven't read the comics, but I wonder if this is the season where he finally snaps and lasers an audience?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'd say it's in line with Vought's typical obliviousness personally.
    When has Vought ever been oblivious like this regarding branding?
    Absolutely, he's phenomenal in this role. He looks like he's hanging on by a thread. Haven't read the comics, but I wonder if this is the season where he finally snaps and lasers an audience?
    I also haven't read the comics, but I've had some of the highlights told to me. The show seems less dark than the comics, I gotta say. But yeah, Homelander is just terrifying. They're doing a great job of making it seem like he can snap at any point.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-18 at 01:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Off the top of my head, weaponizing Starlight's trauma after being sexually assaulted by Deep to turn it into a #girlboss moment came off pretty tone-deaf, especially since they forced her to still wear the skimpy superhero outfit she was openly objecting to while having her go on tour - trying to position her as being empowered and strengthened by the experience they failed to prevent.

Note I'm not saying Vought is incompetent - but in general, where they don't have to go out of their way to avoid being callous without impacting the bottom line they usually won't.

I also haven't read the comics, but I've had some of the highlights told to me. The show seems less dark than the comics, I gotta say. But yeah, Homelander is just terrifying. They're doing a great job of making it seem like he can snap at any point.
    Yeah it had to be; the sheer levels of edgelord cringe in the comics version just wouldn't fly on-screen. (For example, the assault scene above was several orders of magnitude worse in the comics - instead of just Deep, every single male member of the Seven participated including Homelander.) The show managed to get the same message across in a much more measured way.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #11

Off the top of my head, weaponizing Starlight's trauma after being sexually assaulted by Deep to turn it into a #girlboss moment came off pretty tone-deaf, especially since they forced her to still wear the skimpy superhero outfit she was openly objecting to while having her go on tour - trying to position her as being empowered and strengthened by the experience they failed to prevent.

Note I'm not saying Vought is incompetent - but in general, where they don't have to go out of their way to avoid being callous without impacting the bottom line they usually won't.
    There's being tonedeaf, and then there's having your character advocating for environmentalism actively throw trash on the beach in the ad about environmentalism. That's a pretty vast gulf, IMO.

12. - Top - End - #12

There's being tonedeaf, and then there's having your character advocating for environmentalism actively throw trash on the beach in the ad about environmentalism. That's a pretty vast gulf, IMO.
    I'd say that was more Deep being his usual dumb self, and Vought not wanting to waste resources on a reshoot for something that's barely valuable as a tax writeoff when they can just send out their trashboy even if he ends up in frame. The speed with which the kid ran out there was almost certainly predicated by angry hisses from Ashley
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

It's still more subtle then the comic it was based on though, which is the one complaint I have ever really had about it. The show really could be even more absurd and blunt and gory and cursing.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'd say that was more Deep being his usual dumb self, and Vought not wanting to waste resources on a reshoot for something that's barely valuable as a tax writeoff when they can just send out their trashboy even if he ends up in frame. The speed with which the kid ran out there was almost certainly predicated by angry hisses from Ashley
    Let me rephrase. I could see (easily, at that) a major multibillion dollar corporation IRL doing what they did with Starlight. I cannot see that company doing the ad in the teaser. It's a bridge too far.

15. - Top - End - #15

Let me rephrase. I could see (easily, at that) a major multibillion dollar corporation IRL doing what they did with Starlight. I cannot see that company doing the ad in the teaser. It's a bridge too far.
    They still line up for me, but I see where you're coming from.

What I'm truly excited for is more Giancarlo Esposito, especially now that he's thwarted Stormfront/OG Vought's longer game.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

The boys not only had no subtlety, it actualy has negative subtlety.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    The boys not only had no subtlety, it actualy has negative subtlety.
    Again, not The Boys in general. Specifically, the in-universe advertising and produced media in The Boys.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-18 at 02:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I would agree.

The hypocrisy is quite front and center, it's not something any viewer is likely to overlook.

It's not a bad thing, it's more just the chosen style, and probably more tastefully presented than the comics.

Most of the previous merchandising was pretty darned heavy handed. Very over the top corporate exploitation of pretty much every angle. Like, look at the guy pitching the movie concept in S2. It was so over the top it was basically parody.

As an aside, if you enjoy watching Homelander in this, and you should, because Anthony Starr's acting is fantastic, check him out in Banshee. Only four seasons, show's entirely over, but it's glorious. Though full warning, it's not really any less graphic/violent than the Boys. I totally see why he was cast in this role.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Most of the previous merchandising was pretty darned heavy handed. Very over the top corporate exploitation of pretty much every angle. Like, look at the guy pitching the movie concept in S2. It was so over the top it was basically parody.
    ... What? I just rewatched that scene on YouTube. It's bog-standard superhero movie stuff, something I'd expect straight out of an Avengers movie. It's trite, sanitized corporate schlock at worst. What it is not is on the same level as talking about trash cleanup and immediately chucking an empty can onto the beach completely obliviously. That's nowhere near on the same level.

Also, I'm not talking about the backend. The ad is the finished product, what the public sees. Of course the entire show is off the rails with what Voight and the supes do off camera. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about a supposedly completed and seemingly aired marketing spot designed to manufacture endearment which is a blatant failure and so glaringly obvious that it can't possibly have been missed by the marketing team.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-18 at 05:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What I'm truly excited for is more Giancarlo Esposito, especially now that he's thwarted Stormfront/OG Vought's longer game.
    That, but also whatever the hell is going on with Victoria Neuman. Does she have her own agenda , or is she controlled opposition for Vought? A bit of both?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't most aluminum cans now a days have a small plastic liner to prevent the acid from interacting with the metal, and about 4 other "positive" benefits concerning consistency and other food metrics?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    That, but also whatever the hell is going on with Victoria Neuman. Does she have her own agenda , or is she controlled opposition for Vought? A bit of both?
    She was positioned as a thinly veiled sendup of a certain very famous congresswoman as a misdirect. My money is both.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #23

My money is both.
    Most probably. In S2E7 she seems to have Vought's back during the congressional hearing.

24. - Top - End - #24

DruidGuy

The Seven at Seven with Cameron Coleman series is very well done. Not exactly subtle about who they are parodying, but it is very effective advertising.

25. - Top - End - #25

Also, I'm not talking about the backend. The ad is the finished product, what the public sees. Of course the entire show is off the rails with what Voight and the supes do off camera. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about a supposedly completed and seemingly aired marketing spot designed to manufacture endearment which is a blatant failure and so glaringly obvious that it can't possibly have been missed by the marketing team.
    I got the impression they really wanted to make fun of the real "sell water in aluminum instead of plastic to save the oceans" brand by a popular Aquaman actor.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I got the impression they really wanted to make fun of the real "sell water in aluminum instead of plastic to save the oceans" brand by a popular Aquaman actor.
    I'm not familiar with that, but just knowing about that makes it even funnier.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

... What? I just rewatched that scene on YouTube. It's bog-standard superhero movie stuff, something I'd expect straight out of an Avengers movie. It's trite, sanitized corporate schlock at worst. What it is not is on the same level as talking about trash cleanup and immediately chucking an empty can onto the beach completely obliviously. That's nowhere near on the same level.

Do you remember the S1 interview with A-train and the cancer survivor? Cmon, that was ludicrously bad. And it still went out to the public.

The show isn't afraid to have Voight display their arrogance and financial motivations pretty blatantly. Subtlety isn't really on display anywhere. Hilarious show, though.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Do you remember the S1 interview with A-train and the cancer survivor? Cmon, that was ludicrously bad. And it still went out to the public.
    Yeah, a live feed is notably different from a scripted and edited production. Again, that I could see IRL.

Look, I didn't mean for that very small complaint to take up like the entire thread so far. It's not huge. It was just noticeable, for me. The bigger take is that Homelander is going to ****ing murder everyone in that room in like two seconds. Perpetually. That's what his character seems like it exists in a permanent state of. Antony Starr is knocking it out of the park.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-19 at 04:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

This thread will go down as the time Peelee said the words "heavy handed" and the forum would not stand for it!

Geez....

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I could see a real corporation doing this, as a joke to add some humor to the commercial. Obviously the kid wouldn't really be choking on smoke when they shoot it though.