New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default what feats to take for a Trickery Cleric?

I am playing a Bugbear Trickery Cleric. I just loved the Idea of a 7ft, 250 lb, sneaky trickster. We started on lvl 5 and I chose the "Telepathic" feat. But I am thinking of switching it for something else, because I haven't gotten much use out if it.I rolled for stats and we use Tasha's ability scores, so my main stats are: 18 dex, 14 con, 18 wis (previously 17, but now 18 with the bonus from the feat.)

I thought of getting "shadow touched", for invisibility, to increase my sneakiness. And then I would take poisoner on lvl 8. It is very thematic and has a certain synergy with the trickery clerics lvl 8 ability (adding poison to weapon attacks.). What do you think? Is that a bad idea?

I am open for suggestions regarding feats. There are so many cool feats, it is difficult to decide what to take.

Also, I decided that I don't want to multi class, if that's relevant :-).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: what feats to take for a Trickery Cleric?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Carlos View Post
    I am playing a Bugbear Trickery Cleric. I just loved the Idea of a 7ft, 250 lb, sneaky trickster. We started on lvl 5 and I chose the "Telepathic" feat. But I am thinking of switching it for something else, because I haven't gotten much use out if it.I rolled for stats and we use Tasha's ability scores, so my main stats are: 18 dex, 14 con, 18 wis (previously 17, but now 18 with the bonus from the feat.)

I thought of getting "shadow touched", for invisibility, to increase my sneakiness. And then I would take poisoner on lvl 8. It is very thematic and has a certain synergy with the trickery clerics lvl 8 ability (adding poison to weapon attacks.). What do you think? Is that a bad idea?

I am open for suggestions regarding feats. There are so many cool feats, it is difficult to decide what to take.

Also, I decided that I don't want to multi class, if that's relevant :-).
    Fey Touched or Shadow Touched would be great options for you, if you want to try for sneaking manipulation of things, I'd go Telekinetic, you get mage hand and its invisible.
    I'd still grab War Caster at some point though, sneaky or not you gota fight at some point.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

18 wis (previously 17, but now 18 with the bonus from the feat.)
    So, by giving up telepathic you have an odd wisdom score. On a wisdom based class. There is only one choice for rounding wisdom up as far as I am concerned (obviously biased opinion follows). Observant. The bonus to your passive checks is very good, but. Read lips. Read lips! Just in case you find it as cool as I do.

The very boring warcaster and resilient con feats are very effective on clerics, so I'd say that they are the strongest choices. Maybe not the most interesting ones though.
    Hacks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Fey touched or telekinetic.

Both are good half feats.

Fey touch gives a very tricky misty step and can get some other great tricky spells.

Telekinetic is about forcing movement, pushing people into and out of position and generally messing with the enemy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Sneaking is one of those skills you really don't want to fail, so, the Lucky feat may be a good option to give yourself a re-roll on bad skill check.

Sharpshooter plus Poisoner can give you some great assassination options. Poison darts through the window of the tavern across the street from the rooftop you're on? Sounds like a difficult shot, but your ignore half and three-quarter cover and long range penalties, so... it's basically just a normal day for you. Add Lucky in later for sick ricochet shots.
    Last edited by Burley; 2022-01-21 at 01:34 PM.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I am playing a Bugbear Trickery Cleric. I just loved the Idea of a 7ft, 250 lb, sneaky trickster. We started on lvl 5 and I chose the "Telepathic" feat. But I am thinking of switching it for something else, because I haven't gotten much use out if it. I rolled for stats and we use Tasha's ability scores, so my main stats are: 18 dex, 14 con, 18 wis (previously 17, but now 18 with the bonus from the feat.)
    Poisoner isn't one I'd recommend since we seem to trip over a lot of poison resistant and immune creatures as we go up in level, but maybe that's the games I have played in.
    I am open for suggestions regarding feats.
    There are so many cool feats, it is difficult to decide what to take.
    I so much agree. (I applaud your not Multi Classing)
    My Mission for a suggestion:
    remove telepathic and plug in a feat that plays into your concept of Bugbear Trickery Cleric to be more sneaky.

1. Skill expert. That gives you +1 to Wis, and, you can bump your Stealth to Expertise from Proficiency, and then either add another skill.

2. Telekinetic. +1 wisdom, mage hand which is invisible and needs no V nor S components. The ability to now and again shove someone away from you is a good one. I recently chose this for my dex-paladin (+1 the Cha) who also has thieves tools proficiency (criminal/spy variant background) since he's as close to a rogue as our party has. I am pleased with the result. Mind you, that 's a bonus action shove, and if you have other abilities that you use with your bonus action this might not be as useful as it is for my paladin.

3. Observant: as previously mentioned a few posts up, your passive perception is great (Discuss with your DM, not all DM's grok Passive Perception).

4. Fey Touched. +1 Wisdom, misty step is a life saver now and again, and it lets you zip over to where they are not expecting you. And then you pick a first level enchantment or divination spell from any of the class spell lists. Let's see what might fit a trickery cleric.
    Enchantment:
    Charm Person? Check but I dislike "and now they know what you did to them!"
    Sleep? Handy, but there may be better choices.
    Silvery Barbs? See if your DM allows it, it has some fine situational uses to turn disaster into success. (Though I think it ought to be a divination spell since it alters die rolls after they are made ... I know, opinions are like navels).
    Tasha's Hideous Laughter? Great spell.
    Hex. That's a fine 1st level spell with a variety of uses

Divination:
    Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify
    All very handy but not as thematic as you might prefer. Of these three Identify is the one I'd scoop, but honestly, I'd lean towards Enchantment.

My suggestion: Fey Touched feat, choosing either Tasha's or Hex as your enchantment spell.

At level 8 I'd suggest boosting WIS to 20 - but that's a personal bias towards pushing spell save DC's and Spell Attacks as high as I can.
    Grabbing Warcaster instead would be a great choice also if you find that you are casting a lot of concentration spells to support the party.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-21 at 01:45 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

This depends on the table you're playing at/ the type of game you're doing, but I had a great time taking Actor on my trickery cleric. Your height will limit it a little, but disguise self and 'disguise voice' can work together in some interesting circumstances. For example, you can use speak with dead and disguise yourself as a trusted figure they would answer to.

Also a +1 for Warcaster. Polymorph is a hell of an opportunity attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.