New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default 5e Extra Attack Vs Thirsting Blade

Is there any reason Thirsting Blade doesn't stack with Extra Attack if you wield more than one weapon?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: 5e Extra Attack Vs Thirsting Blade

Yes: Because the number of weapons you wield has no influence on how many attacks can you make with your Attack action.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

No. Thirsting Blade is explicitly said to not stack with Extra Attack in the multiclassing rules.

The language of the ability also makes it pretty clear it wouldn't stack even without the explicit forbiddance: it allows you to attack "twice, instead of once" when you take the attack action, which would be invalidated by Extra Attack already letting you attack more than once.

EDIT: the "different weapon" is being mentioned because Thirsting Blade only applies to attacks made with your Pact Weapon, while Extra Attack has no such limitation.
    Last edited by Gurgeh; 2022-01-18 at 09:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

You don't even need that, it's spelled out in the MC section.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Is there any reason Thirsting Blade doesn't stack with Extra Attack if you wield more than one weapon?
    WotC has specifically limited the number of attacks creatures get to speed the game up and give fighters a specific niche.

If a Paladin/5 Warlock/5 can get more attacks than a Fighter/11 there isn't much point in being a fighter.

Thirsting blade was a way to give bladelocks multiple attacks to stay close to martials, not to pile on martials to give them as many attacks as a fighter.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The MCing rules don't say it doesn't stack with itself.

So how you do it is you take the attack action. This lets you attack once.

You then use Thirsting Blade. It lets you attack twice, instead of once.

You make your first attack. Great!

Now you make another attack. Wait, how many attacks is this attack? It is one. So you use Thirsting Blade to attack twice, instead of once.

Easy peasy chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chop chop...

And if you buy that, I have an infinitely long bridge made out of simulacrums I want to sell you.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2022-02-09 at 11:13 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PHB p164

"EXTRA ATTACK
    If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more than one class, the features don't add together. You can't make more than two attacks with this feature unless it says you do (as the fighter's version of Extra Attack does).
    Similarly, the warlock's eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn't give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack."

Clear and explicit in the rules, Extra Attack and Thirsting Blade do not stack.

----

Also, sometimes missed, Thirsting Blade gives you a second attack WITH your pact weapon. This means that a warlock can't use the extra attack to grapple, shove or make an attack with anything except their pact weapon - if they attack with anything else except their pact weapon they have only one attack. The Extra Attack feature is much more flexible.

"THIRSTING BLADE
    Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature
    You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn"
    Last edited by Keravath; 2022-02-09 at 11:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    PHB p164

"EXTRA ATTACK
    If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more than one class, the features don't add together. You can't make more than two attacks with this feature unless it says you do (as the fighter's version of Extra Attack does).
    Similarly, the warlock's eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn't give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack."

Clear and explicit in the rules, Extra Attack and Thirsting Blade do not stack.

----

Also, sometimes missed, Thirsting Blade gives you a second attack WITH your pact weapon. This means that a warlock can't use the extra attack to grapple, shove or make an attack with anything except their pact weapon - if they attack with anything else except their pact weapon they have only one attack. The Extra Attack feature is much more flexible.

"THIRSTING BLADE
    Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature
    You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn"
    Much appreciation to all that cited the MC rules. I do not have the photographic memory necessary to recall a specific call out in a 3rd location that I read once and have skimmed as necessary ever since.

As for the limit to grapple shove attempt limitation, I'm less convinced that's intent. There are narrative justifications. In the attacking rules it says shoves and grapples are maneuvers you can perform instead of an attack when you can make an attack on your turn. But that deserves its own thread (and actually should probably just be ruled on at the table by the dm).

Example: My pact warhammer hits a creature in the chest and instead of swinging again, I plant my feet and use it to force them back. I wrap my Pact whip or fighting chain around the target's feet to put them on their back... How are those not valid? Only through an exceedingly narrow reading of RAW. Since RAW can't be expected to cover every possible circumstance in a game designed to emulate all of existence + magic nonsense, I do not find narrow readings of RAW helpful in most cases. As a guideline to prevent recursive loops and infinite combos, etc. sure, but there's nothing broken by letting a warlock shove and grapple in the same turn when they're built to melee.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Much appreciation to all that cited the MC rules. I do not have the photographic memory necessary to recall a specific call out in a 3rd location that I read once and have skimmed as necessary ever since.

As for the limit to grapple shove attempt limitation, I'm less convinced that's intent. There are narrative justifications. In the attacking rules it says shoves and grapples are maneuvers you can perform instead of an attack when you can make an attack on your turn. But that deserves its own thread (and actually should probably just be ruled on at the table by the dm).

Example: My pact warhammer hits a creature in the chest and instead of swinging again, I plant my feet and use it to force them back. I wrap my Pact whip or fighting chain around the target's feet to put them on their back... How are those not valid? Only through an exceedingly narrow reading of RAW. Since RAW can't be expected to cover every possible circumstance in a game designed to emulate all of existence + magic nonsense, I do not find narrow readings of RAW helpful in most cases. As a guideline to prevent recursive loops and infinite combos, etc. sure, but there's nothing broken by letting a warlock shove and grapple in the same turn when they're built to melee.
    For the same reason that Haste can't be used for a Shove or Grapple attempt - it is specific beyond just "an attack". Haste specifies that you can take the attack action but that action can only be used to make a single weapon attack. Thirsting Blade says that you attack twice with your pact weapon. This means that to qualify for multiple attacks, both attacks must involve your pact weapon.

This rules Grappling out entirely, as its specifically something that require you use at least one free hand to seize someone with, you're not attacking with your pact weapon. Shoving is plausible but this runs into a "permission slip" issue where it's not clear whether you qualify for multiple attacks unless it can be definitively ruled that a Shove involves your pact weapon.

10. - Top - End - #10

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    For the same reason that Haste can't be used for a Shove or Grapple attempt - it is specific beyond just "an attack". Haste specifies that you can take the attack action but that action can only be used to make a single weapon attack. Thirsting Blade says that you attack twice with your pact weapon. This means that to qualify for multiple attacks, both attacks must involve your pact weapon.

This rules Grappling out entirely, as its specifically something that require you use at least one free hand to seize someone with, you're not attacking with your pact weapon. Shoving is plausible but this runs into a "permission slip" issue where it's not clear whether you qualify for multiple attacks unless it can be definitively ruled that a Shove involves your pact weapon.
    So you can’t make an unarmed strike with a haste action either?

If not, I’d say there’s a narrative in congruence with what the spell is intended to do, what it’s written to do, and what we’re letting it do. I’d then excuse myself from that DM’s table since that kind slavish adherence to minutiae is unlikely to make for a fun game for me.

If you can then it’s clear the spell was written incorrectly. Probably when unarmed strike was still on the weapons table.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

If not, I’d say there’s a narrative in congruence with what the spell is intended to do, what it’s written to do, and what we’re letting it do. I’d then excuse myself from that DM’s table since that kind slavish adherence to minutiae is unlikely to make for a fun game for me.

If you can then it’s clear the spell was written incorrectly. Probably when unarmed strike was still on the weapons table.
    No, an unarmed strike is a weapon attack. It's not an attack with a weapon, which is a different thing. So haste!unarmed strike is just fine.

But neither grappling no shoving is a weapon attack. It's an attack (by specific exception), but not a weapon or spell attack. And Thirsting Blade specifies exactly which weapon you can make that extra attack with, and grappling, shoving, nor unarmed attacks are attacks with your pact weapon.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

It isn't any stranger that you can beyond the fact that the restriction is an arguably arbitrary balance restriction in the first place.

But you asked a rules question, you get a rules answer.

I wouldn't call digging into the nitty gritty of thirsting blade "slavish minutiae" either, I'm motivated by the narrative of the Warlock here. If something is an attack that doesn't explicitly involve their pact weapon then they can't do it because the pact with their patron and the weapon granted as part of this pact is what grants them this ability. You took the shortcut to power, it has some restrictions.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2022-02-09 at 10:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    It isn't any stranger that you can beyond the fact that the restriction is an arguably arbitrary balance restriction in the first place.

But you asked a rules question, you get a rules answer.

I wouldn't call digging into the nitty gritty of thirsting blade "slavish minutiae" either, I'm motivated by the narrative of the Warlock here. If something is an attack that doesn't explicitly involve their pact weapon then they can't do it because the pact with their patron and the weapon granted as part of this pact is what grants them this ability. You took the shortcut to power, it has some restrictions.
    As I noted above, narration of actions that explicitly make the pact weapon a part of the shoves or grapples (actions which can explicitly replace attacks) seems like fair game to me, and seems reasonable enough that any DM I played under that disagreed would be someone I consider to slavish adhere to RAW, which isn’t my preference.

You’re welcome to disagree, but I don’t think we’re changing minds here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

As I noted above, narration of actions that explicitly make the pact weapon a part of the shoves or grapples (actions which can explicitly replace attacks) seems like fair game to me, and seems reasonable enough that any DM I played under that disagreed would be someone I consider to slavish adhere to RAW, which isn’t my preference.

You’re welcome to disagree, but I don’t think we’re changing minds here.
    Simply narrating that you use your weapon as part of these actions doesn't mean they make sense. It could be reasonable in some cases but in most cases a weapon is not helping you grapple and if you attack them with enough force to move/prone them with the weapon it makes little sense that it wouldn't also deal damage, which in all likelihood means there shouldn't be a weapon involved.

15. - Top - End - #15

EvilClericGuy

As I see it, there's a grey area for using a weapon to shove (I would probably rule against it qualifying for "if you attack with XYZ weapon" conditions like TWF or PAM, but it's definitely grey). For grapples? Absolutely not.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    As I see it, there's a grey area for using a weapon to shove (I would probably rule against it qualifying for "if you attack with XYZ weapon" conditions like TWF or PAM, but it's definitely grey). For grapples? Absolutely not.
    Whips and Tridents would like a word with you.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Whips and Tridents would like a word with you.
    It's not to say it wouldn't make sense for those weapons to have an ability to grapple, it's that the rules make it fairly clear that you grapple with an empty hand, not a weapon.

I think you should make exceptions at your table when you think it's reasonable but we can't let that influence the baseline that these exceptions are drawn from.