New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default [3.pf] A thought exercise: the strongest seal?

We all know that trope. Sealed evil in a can. Gets played with in D&D a lot -- you have to stop the villain from breaking the seal and unleashing an even greater evil, or the power of the once powerful seal is beginning to fizzle, giving the would-be heroes a time-sensitive quest to either reinforce the seal or destroy the evil within once and for all.

The thing is, in most campaigns, "the seals" are mostly achieved via GM fiat, with some vague or no reference to the rules at all, and likely cannot be recreated using standard D&D rules (epic magic, elven high magic, custom rituals notwithstanding) -- Pandorym's shard was sealed in a "solidified Prismatic Sphere", Graz'zt was bound by Iggwilv likely by an epic spell, even the relatively innocuous Edwin Tolstoff was just sealed with some unspecified (but likely mortal) magic, but what kind of potent seals can YOU devise and create, using only the first party, printed resources (i.e. no web articles) from either 3.0/3.5 OR PF (but not both)?

Rules:
    If using 3.x, assume no Epic magic or elven high magic (if that's still a thing in 3.x).
    If using PF, assume no mythic powers or spells.

You can be lvl 20 whatever class, with the support of 4 characters, all lvl 15 in classes of your choice. The sealed evil cannot be destroyed by any means known to mortals (think PF Tarrasque regen, i.e. regen 30/-). It is immune to death effects, mind-affecting effects, polymorph, petrification, energy drain, ability damage, and ability drain. It can also use Miracle 1/day as SLA. If you somehow slay/unmake the creature, it reforms 24hr later at a random location in the multiverse.

You have 1 year of prep time, and once you capture the BBEG, you have only 24hr to activate your seal before it escapes. Assume you have a 100% success rate at beating its SR and making sure it fails its save against whatever effects you use during that 24hr. Once you succeed, your enemies (including quite a few 9th full casters) will stop at nothing to free this sealed evil. Deities, demigods, and other similar entities will not interfere directly, but their agents may. The point of this exercise if not to find the most powerful guardians for the seal, but to create the most durable seal that even 9th level casters will have a hard time unraveling.

For the purpose of this exercise, "seals" refer to any physical or magical means of restricting the target creature's mobility and preventing it from effecting changes to environment.

How long will your seal last? Let's see what you can do!
    Last edited by Helluin; 2022-01-19 at 01:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: [3.pf] A thought exercise: the strongest seal?

Quote Originally Posted by Helluin View Post
    We all know that trope. Sealed evil in a can. Gets played with in D&D a lot -- you have to stop the villain from breaking the seal and unleashing an even greater evil, or the power of the once powerful seal is beginning to fizzle, giving the would-be heroes a time-sensitive quest to either reinforce the seal or destroy the evil within once and for all.

The thing is, in most campaigns, "the seals" are mostly achieved via GM fiat, with some vague or no reference to the rules at all, and likely cannot be recreated using standard D&D rules (epic magic, elven high magic, custom rituals notwithstanding) -- Pandorym's shard was sealed in a "solidified Prismatic Sphere", Graz'zt was bound by Iggwilv likely by an epic spell, even the relatively innocuous Edwin Tolstoff was just sealed with some unspecified (but likely mortal) magic, but what kind of potent seals can YOU devise and create, using only the first party, printed resources (i.e. no web articles) from either 3.0/3.5 OR PF (but not both)?

Rules:
    If using 3.x, assume no Epic magic or elven high magic (if that's still a thing in 3.x).
    If using PF, assume no mythic powers or spells.

You can be lvl 20 whatever class, with the support of 4 characters, all lvl 15 in classes of your choice. The sealed evil cannot be destroyed by any means known to mortals (think PF Tarrasque regen, i.e. regen 30/-). It is immune to death effects, mind-affecting effects, polymorph, petrification, energy drain, ability damage, and ability drain. It can also use Miracle 1/day as SLA. If you somehow slay/unmake the creature, it reforms 24hr later at a random location in the multiverse.

You have 1 year of prep time, and once you capture the BBEG, you have only 24hr to activate your seal before it escapes. Assume you have a 100% success rate at beating its SR and making sure it fails its save against whatever effects you use during that 24hr. Once you succeed, your enemies (including quite a few 9th full casters) will stop at nothing to free this sealed evil. Deities, demigods, and other similar entities will not interfere directly, but their agents may. The point of this exercise if not to find the most powerful guardians for the seal, but to create the most durable seal that even 9th level casters will have a hard time unraveling.

For the purpose of this exercise, "seals" refer to any physical or magical means of restricting the target creature's mobility and preventing it from effecting changes to environment.

Theres a 9th level sanctified spell, sanctify the wicked, that only needs to hold for a year. Isn't mind effecting and basically custom made for epic or near epic games to trap deities. After we trap it we turn on the spell clock we made during our year of prep time that casts persisted time stop on us. Normally this is bad, but for our purposes we only need to pass time. The clock casts persisted time stop every round of apparent time, once a day for us and the gem we have on our person. After 360 rounds outside time, about 36 minutes, the God is now Lawful Good and can be safely released. This isn't mind effecting

edit: Oh right spell clocks are a web article, in that case use spell traps made by a artificer copying a celerity domain divine crusader (9th level spells at CL 9). Scrolls also work but they're expensive.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-01-19 at 02:22 AM.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The problem is more in trying to come up with a seal that actually *will* break over time. The Binding spells can be set to do that, but if you want a spell that actually defeats things you can't otherwise defeat while leaving them trapped and alive until unsealed- that's 3.0 Temporal Stasis. No save (but SR: Yes), unlimited duration, you just need 5,000gp and a melee touch.

After that you can dump them in a Bag of Holding, destroy the bag, and enact whatever series of Wish or other shenanigans you can come up with to erase all memory and record of the target from existence so that no one will seek/retrieve it to dispel the Stasis.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ask a Xorvintaal great wyrm dragon to help you and convince him that sealing the great evil is part of a winning strategy in the Xorvintaal great game. This makes attempts to scry on them impossible as this is counted as his "next move", and is as far as I know the only way to be completely immune to every form of divination and other ways of getting information related to a specific action. Use Trait Removal to remove the great Evil's immunity to mind-affecting for a little while, then use Binding (6th version) on the great Evil, imprisoning it in an item. Ask the dragon to use Ritual of Renaming on themselves and choose one other name than their previous one, without you knowing about it. Maybe Mindrape them beforehand so that they forget their own name, and all they've got left is their truename. Since a lot of dragons grow without their parents and have to name themselves, that should do the trick. You give the item to the dragon, you take them both to a demiplane created for the occasion in the Ethereal Plane (use Shadowcraft cheese to get Genesis by a standard action. The Ethereal is infinite, you must know where you go to reach it). Choose the environment of your demiplane to be highly morphic. You then cast Imprison on the dragon to make them go inside the earth. Then, you go back to the Material Plane and use Mindrape on yourself to erase the whole plan from your memory.

So, the seal is not technically unbreakable (because very very few things are in d&d, except killing and eating the soul) but to undo it, they have to:
    - Without divination, find one specific person (you) in the entire multiverse and cast wish/miracle on them specifically to retrieve memories wiped by a mindrape. Remember that they theoretically don't even know there is mindrape involved. You can also kill yourself to make them have to look through the infinite Layers of the Abyss as well.
    - Make you talk about where you created the demiplane in which the great Evil is sealed.
    - Research the new name of the renamed dragon, which can take years, and is likely to fail, with all the secrecy around Xorvintaal. At the very least, it's 21 weeks and 21 DC69 Knowledge checks.
    - Go there.
    - Cast Freedom on every single 5-ft square in the demiplane to release the dragon. Remember that since the plane is highly morphic, even "you" don't remember or know anything about where exactly you cast Imprisonment, and Miracle is a way to get information on the dragon's next move, so it fails. That's 4000 Freedoms necessary. Note that you also need to get through the dragon's Will save and SR, which I think doesn't make the caster know if his spell just fizzled because there was no target or if the target made their saving throw. So the unfortunate caster will probably have to repeat the 4000 Freedoms each time the dragon makes their save.
    - Before the dragon can teleport away, restrain them, take the stone with the great Evil in it, then cast Antimagic Field or Mordenkainen's Disjunction to free it.

The problem is more in trying to come up with a seal that actually *will* break over time. The Binding spells can be set to do that, but if you want a spell that actually defeats things you can't otherwise defeat while leaving them trapped and alive until unsealed- that's 3.0 Temporal Stasis. No save (but SR: Yes), unlimited duration, you just need 5,000gp and a melee touch.

After that you can dump them in a Bag of Holding, destroy the bag, and enact whatever series of Wish or other shenanigans you can come up with to erase all memory and record of the target from existence so that no one will seek/retrieve it to dispel the Stasis.
    I'd say "destroy the bag of holding" counts as "unmaking" the BBEG, so it will reform. And since Wish doesn't affect deities and agent of deities are on the run, the Stasis will probably get Discern Location'd and Disjunction pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-01-19 at 04:48 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    I'd say "destroy the bag of holding" counts as "unmaking" the BBEG, so it will reform. And since Wish doesn't affect deities and agent of deities are on the run, the Stasis will probably get Discern Location'd and Disjunction pretty quickly.
    It's pretty clear that things put in a destroyed Bag of Holding are "lost forever," not destroyed or unmade. They're in a "nondimensional space" that cannot be accessed by any normal means. It's not my fault that demiplanes only cost around 2,000gp. One could also use the classic Flesh to Stone to Mud to Water to Water Vapor sequence where the bag is never "destroyed," though this can also be applied directly to the target if the DM doesn't rule that as being destroyed directly.

I don't know where you're getting that Wish doesn't affect deities any more than any other spell doesn't affect deities.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    sheer awesomeness

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Pathfinder:

Create demiplane, twice. Permanency "Prison", but not "Drawbridge."

Create Greater Demiplane's Portal option from Drawbridge to Prison.

Use Imprisonment on sealed evil while having it on Prison. This foils Wish Transport.

Create Greater Demiplane spell to make Prison a dead magic plane.

Walk through portal to Drawbridge.

Create Greater Demiplane to delete the portal from Drawbridge to Prison.

Dispel Drawbridge.

Wish won't work due to Imprisonment spell.
    Gate won't work due to dead magic plane.
    Unless you are me, this is really difficult to untangle.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Pathfinder:

Create demiplane, twice. Permanency "Prison", but not "Drawbridge."

Create Greater Demiplane's Portal option from Drawbridge to Prison.

Use Imprisonment on sealed evil while having it on Prison. This foils Wish Transport.

Create Greater Demiplane spell to make Prison a dead magic plane.

Walk through portal to Drawbridge.

Create Greater Demiplane to delete the portal from Drawbridge to Prison.

Dispel Drawbridge.

Wish won't work due to Imprisonment spell.
    Gate won't work due to dead magic plane.
    Unless you are me, this is really difficult to untangle.
    Yeah. This is pretty much the best I could come up with after a day too. My only issue was that I can’t tell if the portal could be removed from the “drawbridge” side, but I’m assuming that it could. The only way I know of to break this prison would involve artifact level item that could cast Freedom, Greater Dispel Magic (to destroy the permanent demiplane), or Disjunction, and such an item cannot be achieved reliably without high mythic tiers. Finally, you can’t even divine a dead magic demiplane — except perhaps by Wish/Miracle. Very nice.

Any other way you could break this seal?

Also @ Beni-Kujaku: that’s truly devious. I do remember that ritual of renaming requires knowledge of both the old and new name at the time of casting though, so maybe the Mindrape/programmed amnesia needs to be used after the renaming — still, this would give YOU knowledge of the dragon’s name, but since there are so many redundant measures in place I’d say it’s not a huge deal. Another thing I could see was whether the casting of Freedom requires True Name, instead of just a proper name, but then again, we can assume that a renamed dragon would adopt a new name too. Disgustingly secure :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. This is pretty much the best I could come up with after a day too. My only issue was that I can’t tell if the portal could be removed from the “drawbridge” side, but I’m assuming that it could.
    Yes. You create it from Drawbridge, you delete it from Drawbridge. Creating the portal merely requires a 9th level slot, and being "Very familiar" with the destination.
    The only way I know of to break this prison would involve artifact level item that could cast Freedom, Greater Dispel Magic (to destroy the permanent demiplane), or Disjunction, and such an item cannot be achieved reliably without high mythic tiers. Finally, you can’t even divine a dead magic demiplane — except perhaps by Wish/Miracle. Very nice.

Yes. But it requires a minimum of three Wishes, two folks that can cast 9ths, and and a DM dependent amount of time.

It can be made slightly more secure by way of filling Prison completely after the Imprisonment spell.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Doesn't dead magic only impede Mystra's Weave? A Shadow Weave user would be able to just Gate in and free the guy, couldn't they? Unless there is no Shadow Weave in Pathfinder, but I believe the lore is the same, so there should be people who can use it, even if the feat itself doesn't exist.

Also, there is a spell in Lord of Madness allowing to cast a spell of 4th level or lower in an antimagic field. There has to be a combination of shenanigans to reduce Freedom's level below 4. Or an equivalent to initiate of Mystra? I'm not familiar with Pathfinder, but I doubt a dead magic zone is completely impregnable.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #10

BardGuy

Creating the portal merely requires a 9th level slot, and being "Very familiar" with the destination.
    For good measure, erase your memory after closing the portal so you can't create a portal back to the plane in the event you end up being enchanted and told to do so. Also prevents anyone else from learning about the plane by looking at your memories to do it themselves.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Doesn't dead magic only impede Mystra's Weave? A Shadow Weave user would be able to just Gate in and free the guy, couldn't they? Unless there is no Shadow Weave in Pathfinder, but I believe the lore is the same, so there should be people who can use it, even if the feat itself doesn't exist.

Also, there is a spell in Lord of Madness allowing to cast a spell of 4th level or lower in an antimagic field. There has to be a combination of shenanigans to reduce Freedom's level below 4. Or an equivalent to initiate of Mystra? I'm not familiar with Pathfinder, but I doubt a dead magic zone is completely impregnable.
    PF is just a ruleset and you can theoretically run a FR game with PF, but I’m not willing to use setting-specific solutions, especially when 99.9% of PF campaigns are set in Golarion, an entirely different world from Toril (so no Weave or Mystra or Shar…) Invoke Magic miiiight help for a 3.5 seal, but we are not using resources from mixed editions for the exercise :) (i.e. only PF solutions to seals developed using PF rules).

As far as I know nothing in PF1e bypasses dead magic (the spell anti-magic field is less robust, but dead magic as a planar trait… not so much) save deities and custom artifacts, neither of which are readily available to lvl 20 character with no mythic tiers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PF is just a ruleset and you can theoretically run a FR game with PF, but I’m not willing to use setting-specific solutions, especially when 99.9% of PF campaigns are set in Golarion, an entirely different world from Toril (so no Weave or Mystra or Shar…) Invoke Magic miiiight help for a 3.5 seal, but we are not using resources from mixed editions for the exercise :) (i.e. only PF solutions to seals developed using PF rules).

As far as I know nothing in PF1e bypasses dead magic (the spell anti-magic field is less robust, but dead magic as a planar trait… not so much) save deities and custom artifacts, neither of which are readily available to lvl 20 character with no mythic tiers.
    The solution to that seal is to:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) Use a Wish to Transport Travelers the Canned Evil. Foiled by Imprisonment, but it does reveal where.
    2) Alert a trusted minion that can cast Wish to what you're doing.
    3) Cast Wish for Transport Travelers to where the Canned Evil is stored.
    4) Wait.
    5) Wait.
    6) Wait.
    7) Convince your DM that enough time has passed for you to be "very familiar" with the area.
    8) Have Trusted Minion Wish Transport Travelers you back.
    9) Make your own Drawbridge with Create (Lesser/Greater) Demiplane.
    10) Connect from Drawbridge to Prison via Create Greater Demiplane's Portal option.
    11) Cast Disjunction through the portal to destroy Prison.

Note that if you don't know the actual setup, this becomes much harder.

Now, if I don't mind being sealed in as well, we can actually do better.
    Spoiler: Tougher Prision
    Show

Before Sealing Evil prep work:
    1) Create a permanent Demiplane (Prison). The bigger, the better, but specific size isn't very relevant.
    2) Create many simulacrums of myself and the (to be) Sealed Evil.
    3) Use Create Greater Demiplane to grant the Timeless (with respect to magic) trait to Prison (Timeless is specifically permitted).
    4) Get all sims to Prison.
    5) Mind Blank all sims.
    6) Polymorph half of the sims to look like their counterpart (1/2 of self-sims look like Sealed Evil, 1/2 of Sealed Evil sims look like me).
    7) Cast Imprisonment on all sims.
    8) Cast Mage's Private Sanctum over the entire place.

Sealing the Evil:
    1) Get Sealed Evil under control (unconscious is fine).
    2) Get Sealed Evil and self to Prison (Plane Shift).
    3) Mind Blank Sealed Evil and self (although I'm probably running on it constantly).
    4) Cast Imprisonment on Sealed Evil.
    5) Fill Prison with junk, so there's no room for anything to exist that isn't already there.
    6) Cast Forbiddance or Dimension Lock over the entire Prison plane.
    7) Cast Imprisonment on self.

Result:
    Discern Location, Wish, or other divination effects on Sealed Evil or on me: Blocked by Mind Blank.
    Wish Transport Travelers on Sealed Evil or on Me: Blocked by Imprisionment. No data due to Mind Blank.
    Random plane shifting/gating in blocked by both spell and stuff.

If, by some chance (requires some form of fiat to ID how to reach Prison), someone does find Prison, Wish Transport in, and cast Freedom... really, really good odds they get the wrong guy. Especially as, in Pathfinder, Mind Blank explicitly stops See Invisibility, and by extension likely stops True Seeing.

I'm honestly not sure how to break that one without fiat, due to the information issue, and even after you pass that problem, you've got a Wish Transport required, have to eliminate junk from a full plane, and then have to free a bunch of fakes that will try very hard to make you think you've succeeded when you haven't.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-20 at 06:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Cast Genesis & create a plane with no magic at all. Cast Gate, drop kick the bad guy into it. GG2EZ

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athan Artilliam View Post
    Cast Genesis & create a plane with no magic at all. Cast Gate, drop kick the bad guy into it. GG2EZ
    Wish teleport that guy to me, gets out of that.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

No mention of quintessence yet?
    IMHO trapping something apart from time itself is a pretty good sealing technique.

Getting your hands on enough can be a trick but Shrink Item on a LOT of the stuff then releasing said effect at the right time can be a convenient way to lock down just about anything.

It'd be even more useful if your GM rules that a box or a room lined with the stuff acts the same as wrapping a wad of it around something.

Less accessible to players is slow time demiplanes and Planar portals. If the time dilation is severe enough it could take a millennia for the BBEG to something as simple as step through an obvious and available portal back to proper reality, likely unbeknownst to them that the time it took them to arrive and step back out was so distended compared to that of the prime material.
    (The back of the MotP has precedent for severe time dilation time wrinkles fyi. They're technically possible as naturally occurring features even.)
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2022-01-21 at 10:47 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    Wish teleport that guy to me, gets out of that.
    The Big Bad has no way to escape itself though, which was the point of the exercise. Now if there was a cult or evil spellcaster who wished to bring the Bad back from the Splinter of the Void with a ritual thats another matter.

17. - Top - End - #17

Seals are a bit difficult because IIRC they only have stats for them in Pathfinder, which doesn't have the ridiculously powerful templates 3.5 does. So the traditional titanic pseudonatural paragon [insert base small fluffy animal here] with a brooch of shielding replacing one eye and casting disintegrate at will from the other is sadly unavailable. Given that, a few questions:

Can we increase the seal's hd as per the standard PF improving monsters rules, and if so to what limit?

Can a seal take levels in character classes? What if it's awakened or otherwise sapient?

Do wereseals count as seals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Seals are a bit difficult because IIRC they only have stats for them in Pathfinder, which doesn't have the ridiculously powerful templates 3.5 does. So the traditional titanic pseudonatural paragon [insert base small fluffy animal here] with a brooch of shielding replacing one eye and casting disintegrate at will from the other is sadly unavailable. Given that, a few questions:

Can we increase the seal's hd as per the standard PF improving monsters rules, and if so to what limit?

Can a seal take levels in character classes? What if it's awakened or otherwise sapient?

Do wereseals count as seals?
    You, sir, won the thread. Also, we're trying to find the strongest. I feel like advancing its HD is fair game (since it's supposed to be a natural occurence, and you have one year to find the strongest starting seal you can), but that class levels would just be unfair game. OP said that you are 20th level and that you have to make the strongest seal, not that the seal itself is 20th level. You have one year to prepare, but I don't think it is possible to awaken it, then have the seal safely level up more than one or two levels in the one-day time you're given (since you have to contribute in a fight to gain experience, you can't just make it fight a few balors).

I'd say wereseals don't count as seals. But werewolf seals might.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The Big Bad has no way to escape itself though, which was the point of the exercise. Now if there was a cult or evil spellcaster who wished to bring the Bad back from the Splinter of the Void with a ritual thats another matter.
    From the OP:
    "Once you succeed, your enemies (including quite a few 9th full casters) will stop at nothing to free this sealed evil."

So yes, if a Wish for Transport Travelers can breach, you failed.

20. - Top - End - #20

From the OP:
    "Once you succeed, your enemies (including quite a few 9th full casters) will stop at nothing to free this sealed evil."

So yes, if a Wish for Transport Travelers can breach, you failed.
    Wish/Miracle may be the only way to reach them or any option as the followers have no way to determine the location of the Demiplane & even that is suspect & would largely deal with DM fiat on whether Wish/Miracle magic could locate or effect a creature in a non Magical plane. Id say its a fairly safe method, given that the only way to get the Big Bad back is to cast an expensive & powerful ninth level spell that might not even work.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Wish/Miracle may be the only way to reach them or any option as the followers have no way to determine the location of the Demiplane & even that is suspect & would largely deal with DM fiat on whether Wish/Miracle magic could locate or effect a creature in a non Magical plane. Id say its a fairly safe method, given that the only way to get the Big Bad back is to cast an expensive & powerful ninth level spell that might not even work.
    Perhaps, but there are ways around dead magic (at least in 3.5), and in both 3.5 and Pathfinder, Wish has "from anywhere, to anywhere, regardless of local conditions" on the safe list. When you're talking interplanar travel, yes, planar traits are local conditions.

And an extra step can foil Wish, explicitly.

Figured out how to seal the beast without sacrificing myself...

Spoiler: Tougher Prision
    Show

Before Sealing Evil prep work:
    0) Create a Trompe L'Oeil of myself. Have it do all the remaining steps. Constructs explicitly obey, so should self-sacrifice, and if I don't make the demiplane and never set foot there...
    1) Create a permanent Demiplane (Prison). The bigger, the better, but specific size isn't very relevant.
    2) Create many simulacrums of myself and the (to be) Sealed Evil.
    3) Use Create Greater Demiplane to grant the Timeless (with respect to magic) trait to Prison (Timeless is specifically permitted).
    4) Get all sims to Prison.
    5) Mind Blank all sims.
    6) Polymorph half of the sims to look like their counterpart (1/2 of self-sims look like Sealed Evil, 1/2 of Sealed Evil sims look like me).
    7) Cast Imprisonment on all sims.
    8) Cast Mage's Private Sanctum over the entire place.

Sealing the Evil:
    1) Get Sealed Evil under control (unconscious is fine).
    2) Get Sealed Evil and self to Prison (Plane Shift).
    3) Mind Blank Sealed Evil and self (although I'm probably running on it constantly).
    4) Cast Imprisonment on Sealed Evil.
    5) Fill Prison with junk, so there's no room for anything to exist that isn't already there.
    6) Cast Forbiddance or Dimension Lock over the entire Prison plane.
    7) Cast Imprisonment on self.

Result:
    Discern Location, Wish, or other divination effects on Sealed Evil or on me: Blocked by Mind Blank.
    Wish Transport Travelers on Sealed Evil or on Me: Blocked by Imprisionment. No data due to Mind Blank.
    Random plane shifting/gating in blocked by both spell and stuff.

If, by some chance (requires some form of fiat to ID how to reach Prison), someone does find Prison, Wish Transport in, and cast Freedom... really, really good odds they get the wrong guy. Especially as, in Pathfinder, Mind Blank explicitly stops See Invisibility, and by extension likely stops True Seeing.

I'm honestly not sure how to break that one without fiat, due to the information issue, and even after you pass that problem, you've got a Wish Transport required, have to eliminate junk from a full plane, and then have to free a bunch of fakes that will try very hard to make you think you've succeeded when you haven't.