New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Question Flaming shpere "ramming" a creature - where does it ends its movement?

Flaming sphere question🔥when "you ram the sphere into a creature" does the sphere stays in that creature's space, or in the space it occupied just bejore it rammed the creature?

Any input would be much appreciated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Flaming shpere "ramming" a creature - where does it ends its movement?

Quote Originally Posted by ironkid View Post
    Flaming sphere question🔥when "you ram the sphere into a creature" does the sphere stays in that creature's space, or in the space it occupied just bejore it rammed the creature?

Any input would be much appreciated!
    The spell doesn't really say explicitly. With how the spell is set up and the creature taking damage at the end of its turn, my reading is the intention is that it would be it ends in the same square, allowing the creature the opportunity to avoid the damage.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Flaming shpere "ramming" a creature - where does it ends its movement?

Supposition on my part, perhaps, but because Flaming Sphere has to be summoned in an unoccupied space I always assumed it...well, occupied its own space. I've always played it that ramming a creature makes it stop adjacent to that creature, rather than inside the creature's space.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

It is a spell with some really vague wording. I've treated it as "solid" since it can ram something, then stops. So... stops in the square next to the creature it rammed.

Can you just walk through it without taking damage? (damage only at end of turn) It's a weird spell. I tend not to use it unless details worked out with DM ahead of time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've always treated Flaming sphere as occupying the square it's in. So when you ram something, it ends up next to it. And creatures have to go around or over it, they can't stand in it.

That's based on the requirement that it be summoned in an unoccupied square, and the damage being within 5ft of the sphere, not within or inside the sphere, and the idea that you're ramming implying some kind of solidity. Nothing is explicit that it's a solid that occupies its square or that it's not solid and anything can pass through it.

Edit: my view is probably also affected by it being described as having a "spongy surface" in 2e and 3e.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Supposition on my part, perhaps, but because Flaming Sphere has to be summoned in an unoccupied space I always assumed it...well, occupied its own space. I've always played it that ramming a creature makes it stop adjacent to that creature, rather than inside the creature's space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    I've always treated Flaming sphere as occupying the square it's in. So when you ram something, it ends up next to it. And creatures have to go around or over it, they can't stand in it.

That's based on the requirement that it be summoned in an unoccupied square, and the damage being within 5ft of the sphere, not within or inside the sphere, and the idea that you're ramming implying some kind of solidity. Nothing is explicit that it's a solid that occupies its square or that it's not solid and anything can pass through it.

Edit: my view is probably also affected by it being described as having a "spongy surface" in 2e and 3e.
    I've always treated it like this as well. Occupies own space, ramming stops it in adjacent space. No particular reason other than my mental model of what the spell is/does.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Exactly the same. This is one of those things that seemed so obvious I never stopped to question it. Or maybe I thought it obvious because I never stopped to question.

Maybe it wasn't as obcious as I always thought.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Agreed. In 5e it does say its movement stops when you ram something, so if it hits something and stops in "front" of it, it can't possibly share a 5' space with it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aalbatr0ss View Post
    It is a spell with some really vague wording. I've treated it as "solid" since it can ram something, then stops. So... stops in the square next to the creature it rammed.

Can you just walk through it without taking damage? (damage only at end of turn) It's a weird spell. I tend not to use it unless details worked out with DM ahead of time.
    This, very much a spell that needs a reworking. I change this one to damage on the start of the turn. It makes ZERO since to have someone in a fire, but then NOT take damage because they moved.... ya ok, try that in real life and see how it works out for you...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The spell says, if you ram it into a creature, it stops its movement. It doesn't say it can pass through a creature. So, it hits a creature and stops next to them. The creature takes damage from the ramming and again at the start of their turn for starting next to it.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I've always treated it like this as well. Occupies own space, ramming stops it in adjacent space.
    I third that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

That's how you know it's fresh!

I agree with the side that has said the sphere stops adjacent to the target when the sphere rams.

The damage part at end of turn instead of beginning doesn't bother me much; it still does a good job of forcing movement and the sphere is pretty quick to keep up so it's still consistent damage versus nonflyers.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races