New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default In D&D 3.5 how do I get a Divine Caster to be able to cast a spell as an Arcane Spell

So I've been looking at the Anima Mage prestige class from "The Tome of Magic", and I want to take it as a divine caster. However, the DM will not allow the suggestions written in the Adaptation paragraph because they're so vague. So I want to be able to cast an Arcane Spell as an arcane spell by a divine caster.

Does anyone have any ideas?

So far all I have is:
    Alternative Source Spell - Dragon #325
    This feat would require me to multi-class, and I want to avoid that is at all possible.

The "Spell Domain" as the text from AnySpell seems to be saying that the spell remains an Arcane spell.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: In D&D 3.5 how do I get a Divine Caster to be able to cast a spell as an Arcane S

You're exactly right, a spell prepared under Anyspell remains as arcane when cast - it just uses the domain slot to sit the spell in until it is cast. It's the simplest solution for a divine caster who wants to cast an arcane spell. And all it takes is the Spell domain, never mind that a Cleric of Mystra is awesome for other reasons. Anyspell alone on a cleric with the Spell domain satisfies the requirement to cast second level arcane spells.

This is why you need to find out what your DM deems to be "ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells." Does that mean you must be able to prepare and cast the spell as arcane, or just prepare the arcane spell and cast it as divine, or just cast the spell as arcane? The answer to this will determine which options you can go for.

First problem with Alternative Source Spell: its prerequisite is being able to cast divine and arcane spells already. So you might have to multiclass with it anyway.

Arguably some combination of feats like Magical Training + Precocious Apprentice might get you there if your DM is relatively cool. Or alternatively, Magical Training + Heighten Spell or Magical Training + Improved Sigil (Krau) which risks DMGs getting thrown at your head.

A less cheesy method: Southern Magician (RoF). The feat has regional requirements (you have to be a Mulan human) but arguably fits by RAW: if all that's required is the ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells, then Southern Magician allows that notwithstanding that the source and manner of preparation of the spell does not change (i.e. it's still a divine spell and prepared like a divine spell, but it's an arcane spell when cast). This is why you have to have a determination from your DM as to what exactly "ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells" means.

Another possibility from Dragon 311: Arcane Disciple, the base class, not the feat. This one casts divine spells basically as a cleric but allows you to learn an arcane spell every couple of levels and cast it as divine.

Dragonblood Spell Pact spell also does it if you take some feat or race that gives you Dragonblooded, and then you find someone with a second level arcane spell. Cast this spell, that 2nd level spell is on your spell list and you therefore can cast a 2nd level arcane spell.

There's Sword of the Arcane Order (CoV) but which also needs DM adjudication: it allows paladins and rangers to prepare arcane spells in their slots, but it doesn't say whether those spells are divine or arcane when cast. Plus, specific prerequisites.

Consider the Sha'ir base class (Dragon Compendium). Casts both arcane spells and divine spells, but is completely funky as a base class.

Take 2 levels in the Geomancer prestige class (MoTW). Its Spell Versatility feature arguably allows you to mess with an arcane spell and turn it divine, or vice versa: “At 1st level, the geomancer learns to blend divine and arcane magic. He still acquires and prepares his spells in the normal manner for his individual spellcasting classes. When he casts them, however, he can mix or match spellcasting parameters from any of his classes to gain the maximum possible advantage for any spell with a spell level equal to or less than his spell versatility score.

Or, from the same issue as Alternative Source Spell, Customise Domain depending on what domains you have (if you're a cleric) and if your DM deems a domain spell from an arcane list as sufficient evidence that you can cast 2nd level arcane spells.

Or just play an Archivist. They can pull in spells from any divine list. The Hexer (MoTW) can add arcane spells to its spell lists even though it's a divine caster. Your Archivist picked up a scroll scribed by a Hexer who chose to scribe the arcane spell he pulled onto his list. (or, just to bring us back to the beginning again, have the Archivist scribe a scroll of Anyspell.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: In D&D 3.5 how do I get a Divine Caster to be able to cast a spell as an Arcane S

The prestige class says: Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells. That's a lot of information, and included some great choices that I'd never even thought about.

Southern Magician (RoF): That works well, and sounds like exactly what I need. Due to errata and because the game takes place on a continent on the opposite side of the world from Faerun all regional feats are considered general feats.

Alternative Source Spell: I saw that one, but it would require multiclassing as you have to be able to cast arcane and divine spells to get the feat.

The Archivist class has been limited a bit. They cannot learn domain spells unless they have access to that domain from another class. However, the Shugenja scrolls can be a great source of spells as well as having a Shugenja with the "Apprentice" feat.

I thought about the Sha'ir class I've played once before and I love the class. However, until higher levels, it takes a lot of dice rolling.

I've looked at Sword of the Arcane Order for a ranger I made awhile back, but got to the point to take it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

you probably can just take the feat precocious apprentice to have a arcane spell slot of level 2 and the ability to cast one spell from it. This may be of help to avoid unnecessary levels in the arcane
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Southern Magician (RoF) works great and just requires the human subtype.