New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Value of Metamagics vs Eldritch Invocations

Pretend Warlocks did not exist. If a Sorcerer could choose between 2 metamagics and 2 invocations at level 3 (increasing to 3 at 10 & 4 at 17) would it be balanced (comparing metamagic sorc vs invocation sorc)? Assume Sorcerers also got access to eldritch blast on their spell list.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Value of Metamagics vs Eldritch Invocations

Metamagic scales by sorcery points and the spells they are used on.
    Invocations scale by warlock level and pact chosen

Its harda hard to compare them.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dmhelp View Post
    Pretend Warlocks did not exist. If a Sorcerer could choose between 2 metamagics and 2 invocations at level 3 (increasing to 3 at 10 & 4 at 17) would it be balanced (comparing metamagic sorc vs invocation sorc)? Assume Sorcerers also got access to eldritch blast on their spell list.
    Eldritch invocations can be sorted in a few differed groups the three noteworthy are substitutes for spells/slots that Warlocks do not have, hidden subclass features labeled as pact restricted invocations, the last one being improvements to Eldritch Blast.

Metamagic on the other hand represents fundamental changes to how magic works, each one allows the Sorcerer to break an otherwise iron rule in 5e magic.

The two are simply not comparable. Metamagic is far more powerful, impactful and also more widely applicable. Eldritch invocations, as fun as they may be, are sort of bandaids meant to patch-up weaknesses of the base Warlock class. They allow you to customize the class to create a different kind of Warlock by selecting different class options.

Why not just multiclass?
    Last edited by f5anor; 2022-01-20 at 04:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

So it wouldn't really be overpowered if Sorcerers could choose Metamagics and Invocations (still 2 @ 3, 3 @10, and 4 @ 17)? E.g. quicken & mask of many faces.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Metamagics and Invocations are starkly different things. Metamagics exist to modify spells you cast and only serve to do such. Invocations are basically Build-A-Warlock-Workshop when it comes to choosing your abilities. Invocations are like a second subclass which you grow alongside your existence as a Warlock; but, as with most subclasses, some things are better or more picked than others.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by dmhelp View Post
    Pretend Warlocks did not exist.
    Actually I pretend sorcerers don't exist. It's a banned class in my game. Had a bad experience with it.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

so both are of equivalent power. but the problem is that Metamagic and invocations are so baked into the class's design that swapping invocations is actually a downgrade. invocations are powerful because they combo well with other warlock spells and class features. in the absence of these most invocations lose their power. still powerful but not an equivalent toe metamagic.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I think there's a middle-ground where Sorcerer and Warlock could mix or trade class features, but I don't know if it's invocations and metamagic. Invocations are meant to fill in for a warlock's limited flexibility, while metamagic is meant to enhance sorcerer's strengths. If a character wants both worlds in one class, that's what feats are for.

Some of the Warlock Pacts, like the Genie one, I think would be perfect as a Sorcerous Origin. Simply change "patron" to "heritage" and you're done. That's where I'd suggest mixing and matching class features.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think trading out all of your metamagic for invocations is a slight downgrade. Being able to mix and match them is a slight upgrade from metamagic alone. But neither of those options are too far away from the base power to make them unplayable. I think the trade would be fine from a balance perspective. The character would be playable and not overpowered.

If a player asked to take trade out a sorcerer's metamagic for invocations I would let them. If a player asked to trade a warlock's invocations for metamagic I would be hesitant.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-01-21 at 10:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

An invocation that gave you limited access to metamagic and sorcery points (stacking with the points gained from Metamagic Adept or a Sorlock multiclass) could be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    An invocation that gave you limited access to metamagic and sorcery points (stacking with the points gained from Metamagic Adept or a Sorlock multiclass) could be fun.
    HMMMMM.....
    The invocations that affect eldritch blast are pretty similar to metamagic, and I think its a fair trade to have unlimited uses of the invocation (instead of using sorcery points), because it'd only affect EB.

Would there be any metamagics that'd be broken if they became invocations, but only for eldritch blast? Perhaps Quicken, but since you probably can only do two (insert non-cantrip spells) per short rest, you're not firing two spells every round. Maybe an EB and a melee attack, though?
    Last edited by Burley; 2022-01-21 at 12:11 PM. Reason: grammar

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    HMMMMM.....
    The invocations that affect eldritch blast are pretty similar to metamagic, and I think its a fair trade to have unlimited uses of the invocation (instead of using sorcery points), because it'd only affect EB.

Would there be any metamagics that'd be broken if they became invocations, but only for eldritch blast? Perhaps Quicken, but since you probably can only do two (insert non-cantrip spells) per short rest, you're not firing two spells every round. Maybe an EB and a melee attack, though?
    Bonus action for one extra EB ray instead of a whole new casting?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Kurageous View Post
    Actually I pretend sorcerers don't exist. It's a banned class in my game. Had a bad experience with it.
    Be careful, someone may demand that you explain why. But it won't be me.

The longer I play this edition the more I like warlocks (Hexblade excepted).

I don't know if I'll ever get this arm of my world, as a campaign, fleshed out enough to be started but I have been doing some slow tinkering in my world building and the only arcane casters in the game will be warlocks.
    I am still fiddling with "Do clerics exist as PCs?" (druids do for sure) and so far clerics/priests are solely of the NPC variety.

This may be a stretch too far, but I may also reshape / homebrew bards to be a half INT caster. Unfortunately, that project, which I was supposed to have time for over Christmtas holidays, blew up in my face (spousal tasking is a thing) and is still unfinished.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Be careful, someone may demand that you explain why. But it won't be me.

I don't know if I'll ever get this arm of my world, as a campaign, fleshed out enough to be started but I have been doing some slow tinkering in my world building and the only arcane casters in the game will be warlocks.
    I am still fiddling with "Do clerics exist as PCs?" (druids do for sure) and so far clerics/priests are solely of the NPC variety.
    I've run a game where the only caster class available to the players is druid. This was my pre-Christian Ireland setting.

NPCs were whatever I needed (not sorc) them to be. It was a game that heavily featured martial might vs unnatural magics, and sometimes vs fey magic. If the players are ok with it, then all is good.

Your warlock only world might mean the patrons are the deities, and none can grant powers beyond a patron. This means the patrons are perhaps actively intriguing with their warlocks, which makes for good complications.

Divine (cleric) magic doesn't exist, or does it? A hapless NPC unable to get a patron interested in them (low CHA?!?), then turns to a (forbidden?) book of prayers that put them in contact with a divine magic. Is this NPC now a villain to be stopped, or a ward to be protected as they nurture the tiny flame of divine magic?

Just spitballing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Bonus action for one extra EB ray instead of a whole new casting?
    Oh, yeah. I guess at higher levels it would be a lot of extra damage if it was a full cast. So, yeah, it'd be broken to include that one.

Spoiler
    Show