New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Tortle Sorcerer help

Looking for some help with how to make a Sorc Tortle with some melee potential.

Playing in a game from level 1, pretty set on tortle sorcerer with favoured soul but open to changing the archetype.

We rolled for stats, my array is: 7, 16, 10, 11, 17, 12
    not sure where to assign my stats

Was thinking 16,10,12,7,11,17 before racial bonuses.

Any suggestions welcome, even with a mind to spell choices and ASI picks later on

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tortle Sorcerer help

I know it is cliche, but 1 level of hexblade, or more, would work to make you SAD making your attacks CHA based, since your armor is covered by your race.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

What's the high strength for?

IMO max out your charisma first, then a mix between con and wis will be useful. Con for HP and wis because you generally don't want to fail those saves.

A level of hexblade is probably good for the shield.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think you'd be better off dumping STR and using toll the dead in melee. The extra HP from moving the 16 to CON will be better than the extra damage from using booming blade/GFB. By tier 2, you'll want to be a caster anyway.

So I'd go 10,12,16,7,11,17 +2 CON, +1 CHA for 10,12,18,7,11,18 to start. For ASIs, I'd get CHA to 20 then take Res. WIS.

If you start hexblade, although I don't think it's worth the delay in spell progression but it's close, I'd switch the +2/+1 and start with 10,12,17,7,11,19. Then your first two feats are fey-touched and resilient CON.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2022-01-20 at 08:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

So there are a few ways I could see going for tortle sorcerer. If you want melee potential, just take a 1 lvl dip in hexblade and grab either booming blade or greenfire blade, but honestly, melee is kind of a trap unless you are doing Sorcadin or Sorlockadin things.
    Note these are both listed after racial bonuses

Stat Array 1-
    8 str 10 dex 16con 8 int 14 wis 17 cha

The odd CHA is so I can pick up either Telekinetic or Fae-Touched feats at level 4. Your con is solid your wisdom is solid but honestly could use a boost later down the line. The extra spells from Fae-Touched are super helpful.....Silvery Barbs anyone? (or gift of alacrity or whatever)

Stat Array 2-
    8str 10dex 16con 8 int 15Wis 16cha

I'd take this stat array if I expect my saving throws to be tested often. I would do this if I plan on taking resilient (Wis) at some point during my characters career, especially if I want it by level 4.

Stat Array 3
    8str 12dex 16con 8int 14wis 16cha

This is the array I am least likely to take, but if I just hate the idea of half-feats, this gets your numbers nice and even so you can throw your +2 ASI's into them.
    Last edited by Petelo4f; 2022-01-20 at 09:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to be able to gfb or BB but I guess outside of multi class those are traps

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haydensan View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to be able to gfb or BB but I guess outside of multi class those are traps
    Having one of those cantrips to use on the off chance you are stuck in melee isn't the worst idea, but pure sorc just isn't a great gish. If you really want to be a full on gish, Bladesinger is far better as a single class option and Sorcadin or Sorlockadin if you like multiclassing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It would be cool to have a way of dragon breath. Like Gamera. Draconic ancestry won't do it, and the AC bump would be useless to a tortle. Is there a feat or a spell?

Yes Sorc 3rd level: Dragon's Breath
    Last edited by JLandan; 2022-01-20 at 05:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Without multiclass, the weaknesses of melee sorc are

AC: made up for by being tortle
    HP: good Con and/or Tough feat would help
    Proficiency: poor choice of melee weapons
    MAD: Cha, Str, and Con

MC with Hexblade fixes a lot, very cliche
    MC with Paladin fixes some, also very cliche
    MC with Fighter or Ranger fixes less.
    MC with Barbarian is nuts, but not cliche

That being said I ran a Scourge Aasimar Zealot/Divine Soul that was pretty effective. Had to choose when to rage or not. Cast or rage, couldn't do both. But it gave him something to do when not raging i.e. Booming Blade. He turned out to be the back-up healer too.

Maybe Bearbarian/Divine soul for a tortle?

Maybe your DM will let you come up with a turtle totem.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

A melee sorcerer is going to be tough without having a multiclass involved. The famous or infamous holy multiclass is Sorcadin (Sorcerer + Paladin), Sorlock (Sorcerer + Warlock), or Sorlockadin (Sorcerer + Warlock + Paladin). There have been so many guides to these three builds that I'm not going to cover it here; but, Sorcadin has an amazingly made guide I suggest checking out as some of its advice may prove useful: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...rer-Multiclass

Being straight with you, Bladesinger is probably what you're looking for if you want to be a spellsword. It combos with Tortle very well and can allow you to make the best use of your melee that any non-half-martial class could do.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Melphizard View Post
    A melee sorcerer is going to be tough without having a multiclass involved. The famous or infamous holy multiclass is Sorcadin (Sorcerer + Paladin), Sorlock (Sorcerer + Warlock), or Sorlockadin (Sorcerer + Warlock + Paladin). There have been so many guides to these three builds that I'm not going to cover it here; but, Sorcadin has an amazingly made guide I suggest checking out as some of its advice may prove useful: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...rer-Multiclass

Being straight with you, Bladesinger is probably what you're looking for if you want to be a spellsword. It combos with Tortle very well and can allow you to make the best use of your melee that any non-half-martial class could do.
    Yeah, the Bladesinger AC bonus would stack with the tortle base AC. Wiz instead of Sorc, but that's okay, it could be a brainy turtle. Still access to BB and GFB cantrips. Some melee proficiency help (one weapon, but most PCs only use one antway) at 2nd, light armor wouldn't mean squat to a tortle. Bladesinger Extra Attack allows one to be a cantrip, so BB and a regular attack every round, not too shabby.

And the visual of a blade dancing turtle is a hoot.
    Last edited by JLandan; 2022-01-22 at 03:38 PM.