New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Multiple Artificer Infusions On One Item?

So my friends are trying to get me to go from 5e to 3.5e. i really like the 5e artificer, and so I checked it out in 3.5. I learned that items can have any number of enhancements, and I can't find a spot where it specifically says you can't infuse an item multiple times, so I was wondering how that works? Any helps counts, thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Multiple Artificer Infusions On One Item?

I also can't think of anything stopping multiple infusions. I will saw that the 3.5 Artificer is probably not the best choice for your first class in a 3.5 game. It might be easier to instead focus on the very specific aspects of the artificer that you like and maybe find another class/prestige class that fills that niche. Artificer is just a very overwhelming class for even experienced 3.5 players.

Also, as nice and as fun as the 5e artificer is, it never felt like the same class to me as the 3.5 Artificer. The 5e Artificer already felt like a mashup of a couple different other prestige classes from previous editions that were similar but different than he 3.5 artificer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

3. - Top - End - #3

I dont know what is official but ive had DMs rule on both sides. One thing I will mention is if youre going Artificer, try to get your DM to sign off on you taking the Item Familiar feat. Its perfect for an Artificer is both fluff & function as it gifts you more XP you can use to craft as well as more skill points to spread between craft skills or to boost UMD above average. I personally try to get a Ring of Protection, or sometimes craft UMD boosting gloves

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

My friends are pushing me in the opposite direction, I really enjoy playing artificers in 3.5 and since they are pushing me to go into a 5e game I am like pretty... stressed out about it? Actually sad? I don't really know how I feel. Like there are no item crafting rules or really equipment fun.

That said as long as the effects of the infusions don't overlap then it should be okay. If the infusions effects overlap though as infusions work as spells you would default to the rules of multiple spells with the same/close effects and not be able to stack them.

Does that makes sense? What is your dm ruling on this?

Also what do you enjoy in the 5e artificer we probably can help you replicate it. Which is your go to subclass? Note that 3.5 has a lot more gear/spells than 5e and while the artificer doesn't need to be gear/spell dependant it is the assumption that the artificer will play the gear/spell game. At least one of the two.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    My friends are pushing me in the opposite direction, I really enjoy playing artificers in 3.5 and since they are pushing me to go into a 5e game I am like pretty... stressed out about it? Actually sad? I don't really know how I feel. Like there are no item crafting rules or really equipment fun.

That said as long as the effects of the infusions don't overlap then it should be okay. If the infusions effects overlap though as infusions work as spells you would default to the rules of multiple spells with the same/close effects and not be able to stack them.

Does that makes sense? What is your dm ruling on this?

Also what do you enjoy in the 5e artificer we probably can help you replicate it. Which is your go to subclass? Note that 3.5 has a lot more gear/spells than 5e and while the artificer doesn't need to be gear/spell dependant it is the assumption that the artificer will play the gear/spell game. At least one of the two.
    Sorry you are feeling this way. There is a lot less of actually crafting full items, but some of your infusions in 5e let you replicate magic items. So you can make really cool things super early, even in low magic campaigns. The rule saying you can use an infusion to make any common item lets you make spell-wrought tattoos, which lets you allow anyone to cast a first level spell, aka you can give your entire party a familiar for basically free.

This all makes sense, and my DM just wasn't sure. She has been playing for a while but hadn't had anyone want to use items from the eberron setting until I came along with everything I knew from 5e. My usual 5e subclass is armorer, and turning my super smart brainiac into a massive pile of ac with high saving throws and a good strong punch.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Setharious View Post
    Sorry you are feeling this way. There is a lot less of actually crafting full items, but some of your infusions in 5e let you replicate magic items. So you can make really cool things super early, even in low magic campaigns. The rule saying you can use an infusion to make any common item lets you make spell-wrought tattoos, which lets you allow anyone to cast a first level spell, aka you can give your entire party a familiar for basically free.
    To me the actual item crafting is most of the fun. It's all the character concept. Build stuff.

5e having crafting not be a thing makes it complicated for me to enjoy the artificer (a class that I associate with crafting).

What 5e has done with the subclasses doesn't really resonate with what the artificer was in 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Setharious View Post
    This all makes sense, and my DM just wasn't sure. She has been playing for a while but hadn't had anyone want to use items from the eberron setting until I came along with everything I knew from 5e. My usual 5e subclass is armorer, and turning my super smart brainiac into a massive pile of ac with high saving throws and a good strong punch.
    What level are you starting at? Artificer isn't going to be the most tanky of characters. If that's what you enjoy, perhaps cleric provides a better chasis and if you want some "crafting" there are domains around that will help you out round the character.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

7. - Top - End - #7

Seconding thethird here about the significant differences between the 3.5 and 5e Artificer. 5e simply doesn't have the same item crafting rules or freedom to allow for a 'real' artificer to exist in the system. It's still a fun class and still incredibly useful with some cool fluff; it just feels like a different class than the 3.5 version. At least with something like the 3.5 vs 5e wizard it still feels like the same class, just a more streamlined version of it.

The 5e artificer feels like a partial casting chassis with things like the Alchemist Savant, Techsmith, and other crafting-esque prestige classes thrown into the mix as the different subclasses. Close this isn't horse shoes or hand grenades. This is why I was asking what specifically what about the Artificer from 5e you liked so that we could replicate that in 3.5. There's better ways to duplicate the 5e artificer in 3.5 than using the actual 3.5 artificer. Even if we ignore how much work it'll be for a 3.5 artificer without the other concerns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

8. - Top - End - #8

something I’ll chuck in here for advice: the infusion spell storing item is a 1st level one in 3.5 unlike the much higher level equivalent 5e artificers can get. It is very good for a ‘I need a spell, ok here’s a teacup now it’s a one use Teacup Of That One Spell I wanted’ quick gratification power
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ