New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Shield of Faith

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

d20 Shield of Faith

Does Shield of Faith work on character level or caster? I could not find this question asked anywhere. It appears to be character, which is awfully nice to dip into. Detect Evil is just as forgiving, but that starkly does not appear to be the case with Divine Favor, and I find that a little confusing.

In a low-powered campaign (sub 3k party career gold at level 6, limit 1 PrC, core only with "maybe exceptions," no fantasy Costco), the difference is pretty big. I got half-plate and feel like I won the lottery.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Shield of Faith

Quote Originally Posted by The SRD
    Caster Level
    A spell’s power often depends on caster level, which is defined as the caster’s class level for the purpose of casting a particular spell. A creature with no classes has a caster level equal to its Hit Dice unless otherwise specified. The word “level” in the spell lists that follow always refers to caster level.
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/spellLists.htm (PHB page 181)

Nope, it's your caster level.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2022-01-22 at 03:10 AM.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, interesting. Is it still not true for Detect Evil, because of "more specific beats general" in that it says "character level," or is that spell only very useful to multi-classed characters up to level 9ish?

I'm assuming this means threads excited about the big bonuses for Shield of Faith for multi-classed characters may have been mistaken - I don't see a mitigating factor that gives them the +5.

This also leads me to believe Protection from... is vastly superior to Shield of Faith.

4. - Top - End - #4

Yes, the part of Detect Evil that specifically says character level means character level. Note that your character level includes racial hit dice but not LA.

I can't speak to whatever threads you've read, but I don't think dipping full spellcasting classes is very common unless qualifying for a prestige class, maybe.

Protection is better at level 1 if you're fighting opponents of the right alignment. It won't do anything against animals, golems, or other neutrals.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2022-01-22 at 05:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/spellLists.htm (PHB page 181)

Nope, it's your caster level.
    Well now, see, looking at the spell shield of faith, it never actually says caster level anywhere, just "level".
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Well now, see, looking at the spell shield of faith, it never actually says caster level anywhere, just "level".
    And in the passage I posted: "The word “level” in the spell lists that follow always refers to caster level."
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

And in the passage I posted: "The word “level” in the spell lists that follow always refers to caster level."
    Ah truetrue, fair call.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes, the part of Detect Evil that specifically says character level means character level. Note that your character level includes racial hit dice but not LA.

I can't speak to whatever threads you've read, but I don't think dipping full spellcasting classes is very common unless qualifying for a prestige class, maybe.

Protection is better at level 1 if you're fighting opponents of the right alignment. It won't do anything against animals, golems, or other neutrals.
    Very low power campaign - prob max level 9 or 10, sub 3k party gold at level six, one magic weapon in the party, 1 max PrC/char, core books only "maybe exceptions," no fantasy Costco. I'm dipping (or rather changing over to) Favored Soul as it fits the RP perfectly and unlocks several "stuck" parts for frustrated fighter (light, endure elements, comprehend languages, read magic, detect magic, will save).

He's going to fight like a fighter who can do magical research and give himself buffs now.