New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

mad OOTS #1252 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1252 - The Discussion Thread

Elan: still weirdly useful!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice. I know there must be a few bets on Elan convincing Sunny to cooperate that are paying off now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Excellent! Nice thinking on how to go about security in a high-magic world in the last few pages. Elan showing his worth as a diplomancer again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Wow... I've been reading this comic for years and I don't think I've ever caught it this early...

I like Sunny, Sunny is best beholder. Magically conjured stone as a beholder door is not something I'd thought of... Gonna have to find a way to use that in game...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How does Sunny go through the wall? If it only winks out when he looks at it, it should block most of his body when he's trying to pass.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #7

Also, #FranklinLives!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    How does Sunny go through the wall? If it only winks out when he looks at it, it should block most of his body when he's trying to pass.
    While the true answer is probably "don't think too much about it", it could also be that the wall simply doesn't immediately reappear when out of the anti-magic zone, and Sunny has just enough time to pass through by going quickly enough.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Instantaneous effects can’t be dispelled or suppressed, but permanent effects can. It depends on what the type of spell was used to create the wall.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Elan: still weirdly useful!
    Yeah! Well, Sunny being sunny probably helped as well. This beholder is adorable.

So, will V have to go back to help Franklin up to the ceiling again, using her flight spell?
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Awww, yeah! Sunny helping the Order due to Elan’s kindness was a predictable beat (in that many people predicted it) but it’s still a great offscreen moment of awesome for Elan.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I love Elan. The world needs more people like him
    Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    While the true answer is probably "don't think too much about it", it could also be that the wall simply doesn't immediately reappear when out of the anti-magic zone, and Sunny has just enough time to pass through by going quickly enough.
    While your True Answer is probably correct, for that kind of effect you probably want a dispel. IIRC those tend to turn off permanent spells for a set amount of time (usually 10 minutes).
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a minute there, I didn't know what was going on. It took me a second. Roy just let Elan take the reins, which was kinda weird. Sunny cracked me up though! Too bad "Mommy" is probably going to mess it up.

Pity they can't work together! A little bit of teamwork would go a long way. Go after the bad guys together. Except it almost never seems to work out that way. :(
    Last edited by HUMVEE Driver; 2022-01-22 at 08:34 AM.
    "I'll see you on the road!"

AntiHeroes - Not worth the banner any more.

DragonCon 2013: August 30 - September 2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Elan's doing good. I suspect he'll be rapidly building a rapport with Sunny.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I love that last line from Serini!!

Now that they have some time to talk to her, they can share the results of the Godmoot with Serini, which will probably make her more open to a team-up.

Thanks, Rich!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2022-01-22 at 08:41 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

Another example of how good can triumph over evil. Well done, Elan, your natural compassion made things much easier.
    I think we now have a timeline; the Scribble started work on protecting the gates approximately 50 years ago. Which is not that long for a halfling; Serini should be the equivalent of a 50-ish human, by my guess.
    Shouldn't someone be letting the paladins out of their chains as a high priority?

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    While your True Answer is probably correct, for that kind of effect you probably want a dispel. IIRC those tend to turn off permanent spells for a set amount of time (usually 10 minutes).
    I'm going to go with Sunny rotates going through the wall and finishes by backing out. But the 10 minute thing works, if Serini is OK with her door being open for that long.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2022-01-22 at 08:44 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Three months after the strip he first dropped in, I was certain I had realized why the piercer was named Franklin... only to then see a claim that it's a reference to Hawkeye on M*A*S*H. On one hand, this seems tenuous because Franklin is his middle name, but on the other some people do go by their middle name and not their first (Not having watched any M*A*S*H yet, I don't know if this is the case for Hawkeye--especially since him having that nickname makes it even more confusing). With what little I know about Rich, it seems a little more likely than being a reference to the 14th US President, but I still don't know for sure. If it is the latter, that is a US history DEEP CUT.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Think in terms of combat rounds. The conjured wall blinks out when sunny looks at it. He then takes a move action. The wall doesn’t reappear until the end of that.

In a world as self aware of the rules as this, it all checks out.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

...if this were an actual Campaign, I'd kinda expect Elan's player to be this sorta super-competent min-max-er who decided to play the Comic Relief for the fun of it this time.

Because dude is hilariously competent now and it just kinda rules. Like, I'm honestly wondering if him offering to heal Franklin after already getting permission to heal his own friends was some kind of Machiavellian scheme, when it's still so incredibly in-character for him.

But yeah, yay seeing the combat section definitely over now, time for talky bits!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    Three months after the strip he first dropped in, I was certain I had realized why the piercer was named Franklin... only to then see a claim that it's a reference to Hawkeye on M*A*S*H. On one hand, this seems tenuous because Franklin is his middle name, but on the other some people do go by their middle name and not their first (Not having watched any M*A*S*H yet, I don't know if this is the case for Hawkeye--especially since him having that nickname makes it even more confusing). With what little I know about Rich, it seems a little more likely than being a reference to the 14th US President, but I still don't know for sure. If it is the latter, that is a US history DEEP CUT.
    Hawkeye always goes by Hawkeye on the show, his actual name is only used in situations where you could not use a nickname. When someone does call him by name, it's likely to be as Captain Pierce rather than Benjamin or Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomancy View Post
    Think in terms of combat rounds. The conjured wall blinks out when sunny looks at it. He then takes a move action. The wall doesn’t reappear until the end of that.

In a world as self aware of the rules as this, it all checks out.
    Yes, this. Time in D&D exists in rounds and actions. Even if the stone tried to reappear during movement, Sunny appears to be only medium size, and the stone can only reappear when Sunny is in one square or the other since nothing happens while you are between squares, which means it comes back after Sunny is through.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2022-01-22 at 09:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Panel two is missing punctuation in Haley's speech bubble.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yay! That beholder really has a sunny disposition! Also, weekend update.
    Last edited by Edhelras; 2022-01-22 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Typo

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Another example of how good can triumph over evil. Well done, Elan, your natural compassion made things much easier.
    I think we now have a timeline; the Scribble started work on protecting the gates approximately 50 years ago.
    A bit more than that. Still, it seems like a possible date for the completion of the "splitting up process".

We know the "Gates quest" itself begun some 67 years ago

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html

(roughly a year has lapsed between that scene with Shojo, and now)

And The Giant originally had The Sapphire Guard be founded "64 years ago" (65 now), two years after the Gate Quest began.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Let's say 76 years ago: Shojo I (age, say, 25) ascends to throne of Azure City. Soon (age 38) is his samurai.

68 years ago: Shojo I (age 33) becomes a father when Shojo II is born.

66 years ago: Soon (age 48) discovers rifts, etc.

64 years ago: Soon (age 50) founds Sapphire Guard.

56 years ago: Soon (age 58) gives control of Sapphire Guard to Shojo I (age 45), who has ruled Azure City for 20 years. Shojo II (age 12) looks on. Soon then dies.

47 years ago: Shojo I (age 59) dies. Shojo II (age 21) ascends throne of Azure City.

Today: Shojo II (age 68) rules Azure City.
    The biggest changes The Giant made since that post, was to age Shojo II (the one we meet in the strip) up a bit from 68 to 72, and rename Shojo I to Ronjo.

In the context of the 50 years figure Serini gives - maybe the Sapphire Guard was around quite a bit longer than the splitting up was - with the splitting up taking place very shortly before Soon handed the Sapphire over to Shojo's father?

Since Xykon's not been a lich very long - (about 30 years or so going by Start of Darkness, and he's implied to have gotten the diary from Serini at most 6 years before the main strip begins), we know Serini's not saying she's guarded the dungeon, for 50 years, ever since the fight with Xykon, since he was a lich during that fight - and can't have encountered Serini that long ago.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-01-22 at 09:06 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

To think, Elan and Sunny are the reasonable ones in the room. Who knew.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wowlock View Post
    To think, Elan and Sunny are the reasonable ones in the room. Who knew.
    Hey now, Haley's plenty reasonable, she just has little patience for SOBs who attack her friends unprovoked and refuse any efforts at diplomacy!
    Last edited by Wraithfighter; 2022-01-22 at 09:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    A bit more than that. Still, it seems like a possible date for the completion of the "splitting up process".

We know the "Gates quest" itself begun some 67 years ago

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html

(roughly a year has lapsed between that scene with Shojo, and now)

And The Giant originally had The Sapphire Guard be founded "64 years ago" (65 now), two years after the Gate Quest began.

The biggest changes The Giant made since that post, was to age Shojo II (the one we meet in the strip) up a bit from 68 to 72, and rename Shojo I to Ronjo.

In the context of the 50 years figure Serini gives - maybe the Sapphire Guard was around quite a bit longer than the splitting up was - with the splitting up taking place very shortly before Soon handed the Sapphire over to Shojo's father?

Since Xykon's not been a lich very long - (about 30 years or so going by Start of Darkness, and he's implied to have gotten the diary from Serini at most 6 years before the main strip begins), we know Serini's not saying she's guarded the dungeon, for 50 years, ever since the fight with Xykon, since he was a lich during that fight - and can't have encountered Serini that long ago.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html
    Serini's "50 years" is also perhaps a round number, and likely includes the time spent to construct the dungeon, which is similar to Rome in that it was not built in a day. Obviously Serini built the dungeon, and then continued with an adventuring life, which is how Xykon found her near the troll village. There's no way the split-up of the Scribbles didn't predate Xykon's lichhood, so Serini must have built her dungeon and then gone on with her life.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

28. - Top - End - #28

There's no way the split-up of the Scribblers came after Shojo's coming to the throne either, and that was 48 years ago.

It's possible that Serini took a long time to construct and stock the dungeon though - beginning around 65 years ago (same time that the Sapphire Guard was founded) and ending 50 years ago. She may have started with something small and spent the next 15 years expanding it a little at a time before saying "That's good enough" and leaving.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    Hey now, Haley's plenty reasonable, she just has little patience for SOBs who attack her friends unprovoked and refuse any efforts at diplomacy!
    Sereni isn't really the "son of" anyone/
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thanks for the surprise Saturday update Giant!