New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1252 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Basically anything with Int 3+ that isn’t an extraplanar outsider or undead goes to some afterlife, I think.
    We see the spirit of a dog "up on the cloud" with Roy:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0534.html

so even Int 2 beings may get an afterlife.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    Was Carrot Machiavellian? I genuinely don't remember him not being genuine?
    It's... hard to say.

It's one of the things that made the later Watch books so fascinating: Carrot was no longer the Heroic But Naive Watchman, still plenty heroic and still a watchman, of course, but a lot less naive. And the characters that knew him closest, Vimes and Angua, got this disquieting sense that Carrot was a very complex person underneath all that apparent simplicity. Like, that he was aware that Discworld operated with Narrative Laws being on a similar level to the Laws of Physics, and always seemed to position himself in a place where he was the Noble Hero Saving The Day.

There's a reason why we're rarely in his head in the later Watch books. Scenes that involve him always get told from the perspective of another character, to keep the ambiguity about what goes on behind those entirely earnest and honest eyes...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fun as a Sunny plushie would be I think that one's probably a hard ask. Rusty and Co. ran into some hot water when they tried to make a plushie of Rusty, and Rust Critters and Eye Tyrants are in a very similar boat.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Even if it was a child (with Elan and Thog, need more proof than just "behaves childlike") the literal world is at stake here and they need every arrow in their quiver. It's not as if the Gods will spare Sunny when they tear up creation.
    It would still have some powerful "not cool to bring an innocent on the battlefield" vibes, though. Even if the ogic is sound, it would still feel wrong.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Fun as a Sunny plushie would be I think that one's probably a hard ask. Rusty and Co. ran into some hot water when they tried to make a plushie of Rusty, and Rust Critters and Eye Tyrants are in a very similar boat.
    I think Rich managed to cut a deal with WotC though.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    It would still have some powerful "not cool to bring an innocent on the battlefield" vibes, though. Even if the ogic is sound, it would still feel wrong.
    I think it would be okay if it was explicitly addressed in the comic, as in "hey you're not fully grown this seems wrong" versus "yeah but if you guys lose because I'm not there, I not only die but risk getting my soul erased, so I still prefer this."

It requires Sunny to be old enough to at least understand the stakes, but that much seems to be the case.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I think it would be okay if it was explicitly addressed in the comic, as in "hey you're not fully grown this seems wrong" versus "yeah but if you guys lose because I'm not there, I not only die but risk getting my soul erased, so I still prefer this."

It requires Sunny to be old enough to at least understand the stakes, but that much seems to be the case.
    I think the problem is whether Serini will allow them - and frankly, as much as I do wish Serini gets her crap together soon, I wouldn't blame her at all if she didn't want adoptive children to be fighting the guy who tore her apart like string cheese and murdered her epic caster friends.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    It's... hard to say.

It's one of the things that made the later Watch books so fascinating
    I'd say it goes as early as the Rifle case (so, second book? don't remember), when he conveniently kills the only man who could identify him as a "true-heir-with-mysterious-birthmark", and we're left wondering "wait, did he act in self-defense to protect a bystander's life, or did he just commit murder to protect the political statu-quo?". His reaction is very ambiguous, and the fact that the documents mysteriously disapeared doesn't help.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say it goes as early as the Rifle case (so, second book? don't remember), when he conveniently kills the only man who could identify him as a "true-heir-with-mysterious-birthmark", and we're left wondering "wait, did he act in self-defense to protect a bystander's life, or did he just commit murder to protect the political statu-quo?". His reaction is very ambiguous, and the fact that the documents mysteriously disapeared doesn't help.
    It does seem he genuinely doesn't want to be king because he doesn't think that'd be right for the city.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

But he does, once in a while, drop by the Palace to have a chat with the Patrician. During which, Vetinari listens very intensely.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I see Serini has been to the same managerial school as a friend of a friend who in all seriousness once told his work crews to "do what I thought, not what I told you!"

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I see Serini has been to the same managerial school as a friend of a friend who in all seriousness once told his work crews to "do what I thought, not what I told you!"
    I think my eyes didn't shrivel up and fall out upon is because the concept of that did first.

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Sunny seems younger because he (it? they?) calls Serini "Mom", but really every team in the story except maybe Tarquin's has a very childlike, innocent-seeming member that gets lots of comedic material that contrasts their worldview with everyone else's. Elan, Thog, the Monster in the Darkness, and now Sunny all have that same role, but that doesn't mean they're not suitable for going into battle. I'm assuming one of these days the MitD will actually join in a fight for real...Heck, the bits we've seen from the Order of the Scribble suggest that Serini might have played a similar role in her team.

Interesting that in terms of writing comedy, now that the MitD has grown up a lot and gotten more serious, his role as comic relief in Team Evil has been largely taken over by Oona, who though not childlike still has an innocent-feeling joie de vivre that lends itself to similar humor.
    Last edited by PontificatusRex; 2022-01-24 at 12:53 PM.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    unless she wants to spend the rest of her life in those shackles (and since she expects the Order to die, that means dying of starvation fairly soon), she's going to talk.
    In addition to points others have made about this, she has many monstrous allies in her dungeon.

I mean it’s entirely reasonable to assume Sunny’s not an adult by how they act.
    The M*A*S*H episode "Divided We Stand" has an Army psychologist visit the unit to assess goings-on. He comments on the behaviour he's seen: "Childish! Not childlike, with its connotations of innocence and joyous abandon, but childish. You delight in petty bickering, summer camp capers and, in general, behave in a manner ill-befitting officers in the United States Army and members of the medical profession." (And then a bunch of wounded soldiers arrive, everyone drops the pretenses of misbehaviour, and Hildebrand gets to see them in professional action.)

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I once had a boss who was more than a bit like that. On any decision, he'd wait until after the last minute to decide, and then would still change his mind after work was under way. And he was a micromanager; any non-trivial decision in the company had to go through him. When I'd given my notice of resignation and was writing up a description of my position so it could be submitted to job-hunt sites, I included: "Moderate precognitive telepathy would be a distinct asset." I did point that sentence out to the office manager when I handed the description off to her, so she could remove it if she saw fit. She did delete it, but agreed with me fully that it was absolutely accurate.

She gave notice just two weeks after I did. She said that I'd seemed so much happier around the office that she'd done some serious self-reflecting and come to the same conclusion that I had. Working for that guy was so utterly soul-sucking that it was better to be unemployed, living off savings, and looking for work.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-01-24 at 01:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PontificatusRex View Post
    I think Sunny seems younger because he (it? they?) calls Serini "Mom", but really every team in the story except maybe Tarquin's has a very childlike, innocent-seeming member that gets lots of comedic material that contrasts their worldview with everyone else's.
    That does describe Tarquin's role in his gang.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I also demand a plushie!
    Here you go: Some assembly required.

My wife actually made me one of these (although it's only get 6 eye stalks - she could only take so much).
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That does describe Tarquin's role in his gang.
    Tarquin is simply a professional Elan.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    It seems Serini and Haley's dad have similar problems regarding parental skills and trust issues. Is it a rogue thing?
    Hmm. On the one hand, two is a pretty small sample size to draw any broader conclusions. On the other, "people who become rogues tend to have trust issues" has its own inherent logic to it.

19. - Top - End - #169

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    The manacles she used on the paladins would have been my pick
    With the bonus that they would actually be, you know, freeing their manacled freinds in the process!

I'm imagining the next strip having OotS and Serini having their discussion, and then Lien's voice calling down: "Yeah, while you're trying to reach an agreement there would one of you mind unlocking us???"
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeliaP View Post
    I'm imagining the next strip having OotS and Serini having their discussion, and then Lien's voice calling down: "Yeah, while you're trying to reach an agreement there would one of you mind unlocking us???"
    Lien is very practical, yes she is.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Worse, in fact. WotC had little to no legal basis to call foul on Rusty: Rust Monsters have been released to the public domain SRD and Rusty is a recognizable, legally distinct character besides. It's just hard for a webcomic author to push back when they get threatened with a lawsuit by a corporation, even if its based on crap. (And, the comic did have other trademarked creatures in it.)

Meanwhile Beholders are *actually* trademarked, not released to the SRD, and both TSR and WotC have a long history of being legendarily protective of them specifically. Rich has probably changed up enough (and has enough clout) to be safe, but making a physical product would run the risk of getting bad attention like the Rusty and Co case did to be sure.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    The manacles she used on the paladins would have been my pick
    Lord Vetinari: "Never build a dungeon you wouldn't want to spend the night in yourself" and "Never build a dungeon you can't get out of".

23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned

Zombie

If you google "Beholder Plushie" You find lots of people are doing it, many with alternative names.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    If you google "Beholder Plushie" You find lots of people are doing it, many with alternative names.
    Yes, but I was under the impression that those were small. If someone as big as the Giant tried it, they might very well try to crack down on it hard - as mentioned earlier upthread, they went after Rusty and Co. with less justification and more BS than this.

That being said if the legal issues did not become a problem and Rich started selling them I imagine a considerable percentage of the fanbase would be falling over each other to shove money down his throat.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2022-01-25 at 09:50 AM.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #175

HalflingRogueGuy

I mean, even Serini seemed a bit childish/naive/innocent in the old times when she was adventuring with the scribblers, and that doesn't stop them to "use" her in a very dangerous quest.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    I mean, even Serini seemed a bit childish/naive/innocent in the old times when she was adventuring with the scribblers, and that doesn't stop them to "use" her in a very dangerous quest.
    Even in the flashbacks, she's clearly operating at an adult-level of maturity, unlike Elan, Thog or Sunny.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

You know, on careful thought I don't actually think that was particularly immature or annoying unless there's further context.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Anyway, Sunny doesn't seem much different from Elan or Thog. I don't see much reason to assume Sunny is a child and not simply immature in a similar way.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I still choose to exercise skepticism to whether Serini will be willing to let Sunny aid the Order(whether or not she does), at least at first.

I mean, I wouldn't blame her. That's a fairly understandable reaction on several layers.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I still choose to exercise skepticism to whether Serini will be willing to let Sunny aid the Order(whether or not she does), at least at first.

I mean, I wouldn't blame her. That's a fairly understandable reaction on several layers.
    "Let" Sunny? Whatever you think of her or what her actual faults are, she has been shown to be empathetic and caring for "monstrous" races. I don't think this is a master/servant situation like you're describing.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2