New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1252 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post
    Sunny is a child. Sure she is a child beholder, but still a child and not even fully developed (eight eyestalks instead of 10). Not really morally responsible to bring a child to a fight.
    While I agree with the general premise entirely, I wonder why Serini brought Sunny to fight the Order then. Did she underestimate them that badly?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ratfox View Post
    And that's how you use a high CHA stat!
    Or, as it is known in other fanbases, talk-no-jutsu
    Well, even Elan knew that charming people wasn't enough, hence Dashing Swordsman.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    While I agree with the general premise entirely, I wonder why Serini brought Sunny to fight the Order then. Did she underestimate them that badly?
    Sunny is not a child. S/he's childlike. In combat, Sunny is devastating, but s/he isn't (apparently) the Lawful Evil type, so s/he didn't use any lethal abilities. For one, s/he didn't Petrify Haley when it would have killed her.

And even then, Sunny is on the side of Good (apparently), and Elan has an 18 Charisma, and Serini left the two alone with a long time to converse. When Elan healed one of Sunny's allies/friends, that and Elan's charm was enough to convince him/her to stand down.

You honestly think Xykon could do the same?
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2022-01-23 at 12:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

not even fully developed (eight eyestalks instead of 10).
    [citation needed]

D&D beholders are not Stickworld Eye Tyrants.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

I mean it’s entirely reasonable to assume Sunny’s not an adult by how they act.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #125

Kobold

Hey Rich! This is the second strip you titled "Tied Up Nicely"! I call foul!

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Hey Rich! This is the second strip you titled "Tied Up Nicely"! I call foul!

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0189.html
    Perhaps it can be renamed "Tied Up Nicely II"
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Sunny is a child. Sure she is a child beholder, but still a child and not even fully developed (eight eyestalks instead of 10). Not really morally responsible to bring a child to a fight.
    This is a "no sale" position.
    1. I still call my mom "Mom" and yet I am hardly a child. (We have two kids and one grandchild)
    2. Elan is as naive as Sunny, and as generally good hearted, but Elan isn't a child.
    3. Thog had a lot of "child like" sentiments expressed and Thog was not a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter
    See above.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-01-23 at 01:32 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Gotta say I'm glad Sunny's alive and I hope ze lives through the story. I also demand a plushie!

Not so much a funny strip as a warm-hearted one. Thank you, Giant!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Another factor might be whether the players roll for their saves out in the open or if the DM does it - in the former, it's just bad luck, but with the latter I can see accusations being thrown.
    ...yeah, I picture the whole group razzing the hell out of Durkon's player for failing a DC 18 Fort Save when they needed a high-level Cleric most :D.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Gotta say I'm glad Sunny's alive and I hope ze lives through the story. I also demand a plushie!
    That's a nice ask, not sure if Rich will add that to the store, but maybe next year's Christmas ornament?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I am not too familiar with forums, so if I posted this in the wrong section, please bare with me.

I noticed this page seemed to have an error in it! Maybe I missed something, but the halfling woman's textbox in the second panel was no longer green coloured, whereas it has been so far, and continued to be in later boxes.

I figured I'd share, hoping Rich would read and appreciate it.

In which case, holy **** Rich, I think I've been silently aware of OotS since 2005... Your stuff is actually part of my childhood. Sorry, just had to mention that too...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Question Re: OOTS #1252 - The Discussion Thread

Hi, long-time reader, first-time poster.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or is bleedingly obvious for those better acquainted with beholders, but why does the colour palette for things in Sunny's gaze change to be duller/more pastelle?

14. - Top - End - #134

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CuChullain View Post
    Hi, long-time reader, first-time poster.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or is bleedingly obvious for those better acquainted with beholders, but why does the colour palette for things in Sunny's gaze change to be duller/more pastelle?
    It's an artistic rendition of their antimagic cone. Same thing happened when the Ancient Black Dragon was casting Anti-magic Field.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    It's an artistic rendition of their antimagic cone. Same thing happened when the Ancient Black Dragon was casting Anti-magic Field.
    Ah, ok. Thank you.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Gotta say... I also demand a plushie!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    My unsolicited advice is to make a plushie and mail it to Mr.Burlew so he can see exactly how it should look. (My inner Zapp highly recommends the look and sensuous feel of velour.)

Then, after he submits your model for reproduction, manufactures a few dozen for test marketing, and offers them for auction, you can submit your bid on his 'Fund My Funny' page. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to win one.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even if it was a child (with Elan and Thog, need more proof than just "behaves childlike") the literal world is at stake here and they need every arrow in their quiver. It's not as if the Gods will spare Sunny when they tear up creation.

18. - Top - End - #138

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Even if it was a child (with Elan and Thog, need more proof than just "behaves childlike") the literal world is at stake here and they need every arrow in their quiver. It's not as if the Gods will spare Sunny when they tear up creation.
    Sunny almost singlehandedly defeated the Order, and it was only because Elan managed to make her blink that they even survived.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would tend to agree, but like with Minrah who isn't of appropriate level for these encounters, the stakes are not only everyone is going to die anyway unless they try to help, but their very souls could also be destroyed.

It's actually more dangerous for the folks who make no effort to help.

As long as the dangers are explained in advance, I think you can remove age or level restrictions from this. It's not actually safe anywhere and everyone's permanent doom is imminent.

Situations like these, you're allowed to make an informed grown-up decision. It may be the only one you ever get.

That said, I rely hope they don't have to rely on Sunny. The creature is very likely to be harmed by that encounter, or die.

At least there's a nicer afterlife waiting for Sunny. It would be extremely cruel not to send Sunny to the very best place.
    Fleeing Coward: "We're both agreed that Banjo and I should be the next 2 to die, why are you so desperate to lynch me over Banjo today?"
    Pizzaguy: "Because there is a void, an emptiness in my soul, from having killed poor Eldritch Knight. And I can fill that void with your corpse, and put my danged pizza back on my avatar."

Pizzaguy: "I'm gonna try and bane the folks you try to murder. It will be a fun game of cat and mouse."

Pizzaguy: "Mason, Baner, Seer, is not a coincidence."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    While the true answer is probably "don't think too much about it", it could also be that the wall simply doesn't immediately reappear when out of the anti-magic zone, and Sunny has just enough time to pass through by going quickly enough.
    If I remember the rules correctly, as long as one part of the wall is hit by the antimagic ray the wall is dispelled. All Sunny need to do is keep his eye on the wall (i.e. looking on the side) and it is fine.

Alternatively, Wall of stone don't form if something occupy the same space, even when the antimagic ray is not applied as long as something (Sunny, for example) is in the way the wall won't appear.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [citation needed]

D&D beholders are not Stickworld Eye Tyrants.
    Truth be told, the previous Eye Tyrant also only had eight eyestalks and was mysteriously Medium-sized.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So, basically Carrot Ironfoundersson?
    Was Carrot Machiavellian? I genuinely don't remember him not being genuine?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    Was Carrot Machiavellian? I genuinely don't remember him not being genuine?
    It's strongly suspected by several characters (his mentor and his girlfriend), that he's far less naïve than he appears to be and his consciously using narrative causality to his (and, frankly, most people's) advantage.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I also demand a plushie!

Brian P.
    I'd go ahead and say that there should also be a Franklin and maybe a nice doormat of the floor monster.
    Last edited by Turin_19; 2022-01-24 at 06:29 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    That said, I rely hope they don't have to rely on Sunny. The creature is very likely to be harmed by that encounter, or die.

At least there's a nicer afterlife waiting for Sunny. It would be extremely cruel not to send Sunny to the very best place.
    Huh. Do we know if monsters go to an afterlife? I know that Outsiders don't, they just die-die, but things like bugbears? Rats? The white-tentacle-squid-guys-whose-name-I've-forgotten?

26. - Top - End - #146

It seems Serini and Harley's dad have similar problems regarding parental skills and trust issues. Is it a rogue thing?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Do we know if monsters go to an afterlife? I know that Outsiders don't, they just die-die, but things like bugbears? Rats? The white-tentacle-squid-guys-whose-name-I've-forgotten?
    Basically anything with Int 3+ that isn’t an extraplanar outsider or undead goes to some afterlife, I think.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

We've seen bugbears in The Dark One's army of the dead.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The white-tentacle-squid-guys-whose-name-I've-forgotten?
    Those guys are Flumphs

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Those guys are Flumphs
    And we saw a Ghost Roy land on ghost Flumph when he came down the material plane to check on things.