New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Picard Season 2 - New Trailer

Just out yesterday:

I’m torn here. On the one hand, I loved the first season, and I’ve been waiting for more ever since.

But after seeing this—serious doubts as to whether it’ll live up to my hopes.

Spoiler
    Show
    First off, I hate Q. He was bad enough in occasional episodes; I don’t want a whole season of him. “Tapestry” was a moving TNG episode, but we don’t need that stretched into a full season.

And I’m heartily sick of Star Trek going back in time to exactly our time in history, whenever that is for current viewers. ST: First Contact was at least able to mix it up and go back to the future, as it were, which was a good decision for that film even if the overall tone was a mess. Also not a fan of reality changes, with the exception of standouts like "Yesterday's Enterprise."

Guinan is a plus, always has been. Not sure about the (or a?) Borg queen. I’d certainly prefer a Borg-based season with Q making tiny, token appearances, but we’ve already done the Borg and time travel. Worried it'll be wall-to-wall Q with a token appearance from the Borg queen, which I wouldn't call ideal.

So, misgivings. But I enjoyed the first season enough that I’m at least willing to give this a try.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2022-01-22 at 08:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Picard Season 2 - New Trailer

Spoiler
    Show
    Love Q, love going back to when the show is being made because it's hard to get things wrong then. Though I'm wondering how they'll handle the 90s. Maybe the change is Tha the eugenic wars never happened, which shifted them into our current situation?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Love Q, love going back to when the show is being made because it's hard to get things wrong then. Though I'm wondering how they'll handle the 90s. Maybe the change is Tha the eugenic wars never happened, which shifted them into our current situation?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They will probably ignore it like Voyager did when they travelled back to the 90's.

Really like the look they have for Q. Very rakish, suits the character well without trying to hide de Lancie's age.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They will probably ignore it like Voyager did when they travelled back to the 90's.

Really like the look they have for Q. Very rakish, suits the character well without trying to hide de Lancie's age.
    Oh, right. Forgot about Voyager. Blissfully, for the record.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    What’s the connection with the 90s? The date mentioned in this trailer is 2024.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What’s the connection with the 90s? The date mentioned in this trailer is 2024.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In Star WarsTrek mythos, the Eugenics Wars happens on th 1990s. Kahn Noonien Singh rose during this time period. 2024 Earth should be notably different from our world due to this.

Voyager just ignored this, but I have higher hopes for Picard. Especially given how the Encounter at Faepoint started in TNG.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-22 at 12:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    In Star Wars mythos...
    Is there a Wookiee in the room?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

We already had some post-90s Trek scenes in DS9 - same year, in fact, 2024.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Bell_Riots

Khan's influence on the world may not have been especially overt. He might have been more of a "shadow ruler" ruling through puppet governments, like he was in some Trek EU material.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Is there a Wookiee in the room?
    Gahhh, force of habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    We already had some post-90s Trek scenes in DS9 - same year, in fact, 2024.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Bell_Riots

Khan's influence on the world may not have been especially overt. He might have been more of a "shadow ruler" ruling through puppet governments, like he was in some Trek EU material.
    The Bell Riots seemed to fit in with the decades after the Eugenics Wars. Nothing at all like casual LA in Voyager, though. I'm not saying Kahn specifically had influence, I was just using him as an example of "the world Star Trek envisioned at the turn of the millennium was different than ours, and Voyagers".

10. - Top - End - #10

To be fair, different people interpret the Eugenics wars era differently. The comic tie-ins to Star Trek: Into Darkness have a far more devastating war, with nuked capital cities, whereas the Greg Cox novels favour the "shadow war" version.

Remember that Khan was the last of the dictators to be overthrown, and that this was several years before the turn of the millennium itself - allowing for the somewhat more peaceful world we see in Voyager's time travel episodes.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    To be fair, different people interpret the Eugenics wars era differently. The comic tie-ins to Star Trek: Into Darkness have a far more devastating war, with nuked capital cities, whereas the Greg Cox novels favour the "shadow war" version.

Remember that Khan was the last of the dictators to be overthrown, and that this was several years before the turn of the millennium itself - allowing for the somewhat more peaceful world we see in Voyager's time travel episodes.
    Kahn was only defeated in 96, the same year Voyager went to, and also ruled over a quarter of the world. Even without Kahn, though, the Eugenics Wars waged heavily on Earth and surely there would have been some indication that they had only just finished fighting another global war instead of just chilling out perfectly peacefully in post-cold-war 90s LA.

I think Voyager just dropped the ball on those episodes. I don't think they're completely incongruous with the Eugenics Wars, but I think that was more because of providence than planning. They just forgot about it and happened to not openly contradict anything by sheer luck.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

When they made the original series they didn’t know they’d be making StarTrek in 1996 let alone 2022.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

13. - Top - End - #13

And even before Voyager, there was a certain amount of fudging.

In TNG's Encounter At Farpoint, for example, the "post-atomic horror" is portrayed as being 2079, with the implication that there has been a huge atomic world war right before that.

Yet in TOS's Space Seed, the Eugenics War of 1993-1996 (Khan himself took power in 1992, and other "supermen" seized power in 1993, in over 40 nations, and then warred amongst themselves) is described as "the last world war".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by hamishspence
    In TNG's Encounter At Farpoint, for example, the "post-atomic horror" is portrayed as being 2079, with the implication that there has been a huge atomic world war right before that.

Yet in TOS's Space Seed, the Eugenics War of 1993-1996 (Khan himself took power in 1992, and other "supermen" seized power in 1993, in over 40 nations, and then warred amongst themselves) is described as "the last world war".
    Meanwhile, in ST: First Contact, the Third World War is mentioned as occurring in the early 2050s, with a major nuclear exchange that destroyed most major cities and left 600 million dead.

That's at least somewhat congruent with the Farpoint timeline, but doesn’t match up with the TOS timeline—unless you mark up the different dates in WWIII to a difference in terminology referring to conflicts in the late 20th and mid-21st centuries.

Without getting into specifics, today we have some very different titles for certain relatively recent conflicts, so there may have been a similar change in references between the TOS and TNG eras. The conflict in the early 2050s sounds like the most destructive in history, far more so than between Khan and his compatriots, so it may have been referred to as a class of its own in the TOS era, but then reclassified by TNG’s time.

Last edited by Palanan; 2022-01-22 at 04:33 PM.