New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Two Gloves? Item Slot Question

Can one wear a Glove of the Master Strategist & a Caster Glove If they are worn on opposite hands (left/right)? Usually Gloves are paired, but the text indicates that the object is only on one hand.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Two Gloves? Item Slot Question

Quote Originally Posted by Athan Artilliam View Post
    Can one wear a Glove of the Master Strategist & a Caster Glove If they are worn on opposite hands (left/right)? Usually Gloves are paired, but the text indicates that the object is only on one hand.
    IIRC 3.5 assumes that you only have one glove(s) slot. So having 2 different single gloves wouldn't work for the same reason why you are limited to sole 2 rings and can't profit from a 3rd ring.

But, you could bypass this limitation with the optional rule to combine multiple magic items (in the DMG). You just need to pay a 50%tax on the cheaper item you wanna combine.

Finally, maybe a Kimono of Storing (Oriental Adventures) is the better solution for your problem? The kimono lets you hide one item per sleeve and retrieves em as free action.

3. - Top - End - #3

Im playing an Artificer, I'm planning on storing an Energy Bow from the Animated Series book, in one the Strategist Glove & a useful Wand in the Caster Glove.

So according to the rules, I would need to craft new properties into the one glove to count as the secondary glove & add 50% then I can make "Gloves of the Casting Strategist?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Gruftzwerg is correct:

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p.214
    A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn. [...] One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands
    Quote Originally Posted by MIC p.218
    Some body slots are described as a matched pair of body parts (such as arms, feet, or hands). If an item uses one of these body slots, it takes up both “halves” of the body slot even if worn on only one of the pair. For example, a glove of storing takes up the entire hands body slot, even though it’s only one glove.
    The two gloves can be combined as described above, but you'll need a DM decision about the price because:

a Glove of the Master Strategist is a 3.0 item. In 3.0 prices a Glove of Storing is 2,200 gp, and a Glove of the Master Strategist is a 1,400 gp or 64% bump above that. When you figure in 3.5 prices a Glove of Storing is 10,000 gp, a Glove of the Master Strategist is going to be a lot more expensive
    The price wasn't changed in the Ghostwalk 3.5 update, but given that they do more than a Glove of Storing but now cost less, this is almost certainly an oversight.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ove-of-storing

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

No, not unless you either take the feat Extra Item Slot or creates a custom item which has both enchantment…

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

No, you can't use two magical gloves that aren't a set. But as near as I can tell, you can wear one of them and a useful non-magical glove, like a spiked gauntlet.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Im playing an Artificer, I'm planning on storing an Energy Bow from the Animated Series book, in one the Strategist Glove & a useful Wand in the Caster Glove.

So according to the rules, I would need to craft new properties into the one glove to count as the secondary glove & add 50% then I can make "Gloves of the Casting Strategist?"
    Yes, if your DM allows combining multiple magic items (an Optional Rule! so you can't demand it from the DM!)

The safest option (and iirc cheapest too) is the kimono imho. Unless you have planned other stuff for that item slot.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    Yes, if your DM allows combining multiple magic items (an Optional Rule! so you can't demand it from the DM!)

The safest option (and iirc cheapest too) is the kimono imho. Unless you have planned other stuff for that item slot.
    I am wearing Dyyr's Vestments & a vest of resistance. I want the GotMS to hold my Energy Bow, & the Caster Glove to hold a wand I can cast without holding

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I am wearing Dyyr's Vestments & a vest of resistance. I want the GotMS to hold my Energy Bow, & the Caster Glove to hold a wand I can cast without holding
    There is further the option to get a Wand Chamber (dungeonscape +100g) for the weapon. You can load a single wand into it and use it without dropping the weapon.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It's only an optional rule insofar as the magic item creation system as a whole are guidelines rather than rules. The default is that you can combine items:

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p.288
    A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions
    This isn't specifically called out as an optional rule in the DMG.

If the MIC is in play, it's upgraded to the status of actual rules:
    Quote Originally Posted by MIC p.233
    You can add new magical abilities to a magic item with virtually no restrictions [...] Magic Item Compendium presents official rules for adding common item effects to existing magic items
    The "virtually" refers to a recommendation you only allow items which normally occupy the same body slot to be combined, other than the exceptions shown in the table on p.234.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

IIRC 3.5 assumes that you only have one glove(s) slot. So having 2 different single gloves wouldn't work for the same reason why you are limited to sole 2 rings and can't profit from a 3rd ring.
    Does it mean a pirate who lost their second eye can't use second magical eyepatch(/wooden eye)?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Gruftzwerg is correct:
    Some body slots are described as a matched pair of body parts (such as arms, feet, or hands). If an item uses one of these body slots, it takes up both “halves” of the body slot even if worn on only one of the pair. For example, a glove of storing takes up the entire hands body slot, even though it’s only one glove.
    What's about the Athach's third hand?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Only if they have the Extra Item Space feat (SS p.34):
    a character is normally limited to two rings, but a marilith (with six arms) could wear three rings with this feat

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Does it mean a pirate who lost their second eye can't use second magical eyepatch(/wooden eye)?

It doesn't matter if said pirate has lost an eye or not. Anyone can only "profit" from a single eyepatch. Since both eyes share the same magic item slot.

Imho you would need in both cases (eyepatch & athach's 3rd hand) the Extra Item Space feat.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Only if they have the Extra Item Space feat (SS p.34):
    Imho you would need in both cases (eyepatch & athach's 3rd hand) the Extra Item Space feat.
    My point there was:
    Some body slots are described as a matched pair of body parts (such as arms, feet, or hands).
    For Athach, it's incorrect - their arms/hands are not "a matched pair"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

A. The default is one magical glove/pair of gloves, or one item in the eye slot.

B. Some exceptions are possible; no exceptions are automatic. [The DM can, for instance, disallow the Extra Slot feat.]

C. The final decision will be your DM's. We can give you our opinions, but we can't make rulings.

D. There's nothing to be gained by arguing with anyone here. Only your DM can make the final ruling.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There is further the option to get a Wand Chamber (dungeonscape +100g) for the weapon. You can load a single wand into it and use it without dropping the weapon.
    This is the suggestion to go with, very cost efficient. 100 gp and you can have both the weapon and wand in your hand at the same time.

Add one to your melee weapon and have two weapons with two wands and store one with the Gloves of the Master Strategist while you use the other.

Hell, throw on some spikes onto your armor and add a 3rd that's always ready... Wand Chambers are nice. DS pg. 34.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaGuy View Post
    This is the suggestion to go with, very cost efficient. 100 gp and you can have both the weapon and wand in your hand at the same time.

Add one to your melee weapon and have two weapons with two wands and store one with the Gloves of the Master Strategist while you use the other.

Hell, throw on some spikes onto your armor and add a 3rd that's always ready... Wand Chambers are nice. DS pg. 34.
    I plan on constructing an Arm of Nyr, with a built in spiked gauntlet & wand chamber, but I want the Caster Glove to have a Rod of Wands with a trio of Quickened Twinned Fell Drain Magic Missle Wands popped in it. It shall be my hand of unmaking

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

What b0ok is the glove of the master strategist from? I found the caster glove in Magic Item Compendium, but I can't find the glove of the master strategist.

Depending on how they work and how you read the rules the question might be irrelevant; they might not be able to both be active at the same time anyway, even if they were slotless, which could arguably mean that it doesn't matter that you can only use one at a time.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Note that the weapon chamber can be only added to weapons with a handle or on the edge of a shield.
    So, you can't add wand chambers to gauntlets and armor spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by wand chamber
    A wand chamber is a thin, cylindrical slot on the handle of a weapon or the edge of a shield that can hold a single wand.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    What b0ok is the glove of the master strategist from? I found the caster glove in Magic Item Compendium, but I can't find the glove of the master strategist.

Depending on how they work and how you read the rules the question might be irrelevant; they might not be able to both be active at the same time anyway, even if they were slotless, which could arguably mean that it doesn't matter that you can only use one at a time.
    Ghostwalk
    Note that the weapon chamber can be only added to weapons with a handle or on the edge of a shield.
    If one cannot intuit a Wand Chamber in a Gauntlet that's their own issue, my DM is allowing it

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ghostwalk

If one cannot intuit a Wand Chamber in a Gauntlet that's their own issue, my DM is allowing it
    Then all I can say is good luck & have fun ;)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My point there was:

For Athach, it's incorrect - their arms/hands are not "a matched pair"
    Yes, and my point was that the text of the Extra Item Space feat specifies that normal is that you can only have two rings unless you have that feat.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Good eye, lucky his DM is lenient enough to allow it outright. But if he wasn't couldn't you pay an extra 50%, or something like, to add it to an item that doesn't explicitly allow it. Custom item rules?

Hell, I've asked my DM if I could add multiple to a single gauntlet and he allowed it. Was fun. Felt like Ironman.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Good eye, lucky his DM is lenient enough to allow it outright. But if he wasn't couldn't you pay an extra 50%, or something like, to add it to an item that doesn't explicitly allow it. Custom item rules?

Hell, I've asked my DM if I could add multiple to a single gauntlet and he allowed it. Was fun. Felt like Ironman.
    Sadly everything up to DM fiat. Nothing that breaks the game entirely, but alters action economy slightly. So,imho not a problem. You just can't demand it from your DM by RAW. Prepare some drinks and chips to bribe your DM ;)