New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default 3e/3.5e bibliophiles: Question about the cover composition of 3e/3.5e hardcovers

Hello, fine folks of the Playground!

I have a very peculiar question: would any of you happen to know the precise material composition of a typical 3e or 3.5e hardcover's cover? Soon, I am going to be lightly cleaning/sanitizing a bunch of these books and I'd like to be certain that my cleaning products won't cause any cosmetic damage (people versed in maintaining and restoring books tend to swear by isopropyl alcohol and either cotton balls or lint-free microfiber cloths for hardcovers that aren't cloth-bound or leather-bound). The collection is a good mix of glossy/shiny covers (most of the generic D&D titles such as the 3.5e Monster Manual or the Epic Level Handbook), matte covers (the Forgotten Realms supplements) and a few that seem to be a combination of glossy and matte (the Eberron supplements); all of them are non-porous and obviously not leather-bound, but beyond that...I'm totally in the dark. The only guess that comes to mind is that they're laminate coated.

Ordinarily, I'm not particularly concerned with this subject; however, considering the age of these books and their pristine condition, it is paramount that accidental discoloration/fading be avoided. Unfortunately, Wizards of the Coast took down their forums long ago, so...that resource is no longer available .

P.S. Moderators, if this thread would be better suited on another forum and/or would generate more advice elsewhere, I ask that you please move it at your earliest convenience.
    Last edited by Ezram; 2022-01-22 at 10:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: 3e/3.5e bibliophiles: Question about the cover composition of 3e/3.5e hardcovers

As always, do a small test spot before risking your property.

If you decide to move forward, only do one book the first day, and check your work the next day before moving further

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: 3e/3.5e bibliophiles: Question about the cover composition of 3e/3.5e hardcovers

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    As always, do a small test spot before risking your property.

If you decide to move forward, only do one book the first day, and check your work the next day before moving further
    I'm loathe to experiment on any of them . Perhaps it would ultimately be best to purchase one used copy of each (glossy, matte and glossy plus matte)?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There's video of someone cleaning a D&D book here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYz19vkCeo

It's a 2E book but I'd be surprised if it's much different to the 3E ones.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Ezram
    Soon, I am going to be lightly cleaning/sanitizing a bunch of these books….
    I have quite a few 3.5 hardcovers, including most of the Forgotten Realms supplements and several from Eberron. I also have most of the 3.0 paperback supplements.

In all cases, I just clean them with a spot of Dawn on a wet paper towel. Soap it up, wipe it down. I’ve never seen a hint of discoloration or any other effects. This might not be as sophisticated as you’re looking for, but I’ve done this several times for each book and they hold up just fine.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I have quite a few 3.5 hardcovers, including most of the Forgotten Realms supplements and several from Eberron. I also have most of the 3.0 paperback supplements.

In all cases, I just clean them with a spot of Dawn on a wet paper towel. Soap it up, wipe it down. I’ve never seen a hint of discoloration or any other effects. This might not be as sophisticated as you’re looking for, but I’ve done this several times for each book and they hold up just fine.
    I second this.

I am a book dealer. I occasionally dabble with cleaning book covers. I have found that most book covers are designed for a lot of wear; including moisture, and exposure to such grimes and substances as might be common on people's hands.

But, always start with as weak of a cleaner as possible, and when in doubt do a test spot (on hardcovers there is often an overlap of the cover, on the inside edge of the cover).