A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Grand Adventures (A5E)

Weary travelers, you have stopped in the small town of Arbington, maybe you are on your way to a great city or dungeon. There was no indication that this stop was going to become your first major adventure, when undeads are attacking the small town of Arbington, only you and other brave adventurers are the only ones standing between the destruction of Arbington and saving the people.

This game will use Level Up by EN Publishing, or like they call it Advanced D&D 5th edition.

System: Level Up aka Advanced D&D 5E (A5E)
    Player Count: 4 or 5
    Style of Play: Action Adventures
    Allowed Content:

• Level Up - Adventurer's Guide
    • Official Original 5th edition content with the latest errata (Doesn't include UA)

Character Creation:

• Backstory: What pushed you to become an adventurer? Do you worship any deity or deities in particular?
    • Experience: Level 1
    • Wealth: Starting Gold or Picking Gear for your class
    • Ability Scores: Variant Standard Ability Scores Array: 15,14, 13, 12, 10 and 8
    • Hitpoints/Health: Standard
    • Alignment: No Evil

Other Notes:
    -O5E (Original 5th edition) is compatible with A5 but when it comes to the step of character creation, you would have to choose between making your character O5 style or going for A5E style, as when it comes to character creation they aren't interchangeable. By default, A5E is made in mind with offering a lot of options.
    -You should know that when possible the core spells, monsters and rewards will use A5E version by default.
    -Dawn War Deities is the pantheon for the setting, see 5th Edition DMG. A5E might need some changes here and there.
    Last edited by DragonQuest; 2022-01-23 at 11:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Grand Adventures (A5E)

are you providing source material for ADnD5E?
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Vibrtrar View Post
    are you providing source material for ADnD5E?
    Their SRD isn't up yet sadly so for now, no. I can help with character creation.
    Last edited by DragonQuest; 2022-01-23 at 11:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I am familiar with O5E, how does their character creation differ?
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #5

I am familiar with O5E, how does their character creation differ?
    Let's see, you get to pick your origins: which gives some mechanical traits and the likes

-Heritage/Ancestry , the ones in the book are: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Human, Orc and Planetouched, also Mixed Heritage
    -Culture: You can have any culture, so you could be an Elf for example raised in Hill Dwarf culture
    -Background like 5e, with some new backgrounds and some changes to the backgrounds that you know
    -Destiny (mostly fluff) get some benefits if you achieve your Destiny
    -Classes are revamped/changed, so usually with more options etc...
    Last edited by DragonQuest; 2022-01-23 at 12:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Im sorry to ask so much, but lets say Dragonborn, what are the benefits over regular dragonborn, lets say, raised by dragon born vs raised by elves
    Festival of Heroes:

7. - Top - End - #7

Im sorry to ask so much, but lets say Dragonborn, what are the benefits over regular dragonborn, lets say, raised by dragon born vs raised by elves
    No problem, so let say you decided to go with Dragonborn A5E:

-Preface note in this version, Background is the only part where you get bonuses to ability scores, unlike O5E but instead get more features from culture, heritages and backgrounds.

-You would get the Dragon Breath, scaling of course, this one start at 2d6 and ends up being 6d6 at level 19th vs 4d10 at level 17 for regular Dragon Born
    -You get to pick one heritage gift: Draconic Armor (giving you claws, resistance to your dragonbreath type of damage, and scales giving you armor while not wearing any), Draconic fins (better swimmer, tough shell, deep dark vision) or draconic wings giving you flight.
    -At level 10, the draconic gift improve as you become a draconic paragon

-Usually dragonborn are associated with Dragonbound and Dragoncult cultures but again as mentioned you can choose any culture, Dragonbound are those raised under the rule of a dragon, it gives you cantrip, expertise die when dealing with dragons on charisma checks, and progenitor boon which scale with your level depending on the kind of dragon you serve (Metallic, Gem, Chromatic, Essence etc...), of course you will start with common and draconic language, and this is just the dragonbound example (didn't delve into dragon cult here).

-Now let say you wanted to be raised by a Elf culture, let's pick High Elf for example: You will be able to use intelligence instead of charisma for deception, insight, intimidation and persuasion check as a cunning diplomat, proficient in culture and one skill of choice, get the hight elf weapon training, know a cantrip of your choice choosing your spellcasting score for it and start with Common, Elvish and another language.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Alright, I think i have a better grip. Where are you getting your info?
    Festival of Heroes:

9. - Top - End - #9

Alright, I think i have a better grip. Where are you getting your info?
    From the Level up pdf: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...rers-Guide-A5E

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

This seems interesting, but I'm not dropping $20 on the PDF.

What should I know, when it comes to making a PC?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Would you be willing to share the pdf?
    Festival of Heroes:

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    This seems interesting, but I'm not dropping $20 on the PDF.

What should I know, when it comes to making a PC?
    Essentially it depends on what you want to do:

If you are making an AE5 character, will guide you through the character creation process.
    If you are making an OE5 character, just follow the rules as normal.

Some new tags are added to equipment but prices are the same.

For making an AE5 character: I would need to know essentially:

-What heritage are you picking? (Every Heritage get to pick a heritage gift), see previous post for the list of heritage = Who were your parents?
    -Pick a Culture, there are a lot of them and aren't restricted = Where did you grow up?
    -Pick a Background: Backgrounds are different than the core book and offer different benefits you can find the ones from the PHB + some new ones like Farmer or Gambler for example = What was your occupation?
    -Pick a Destiny (or we can make up one, it's mostly fluff got benefit if you complete the destiny): Chaos, Coming of Age, Devotion, Dominion, Excellence, Knowledge, Metamoprhosis, Revenge, Underdog, Wealth = What is your personal story?

Then of course, we will get to the part where you pick a class and there are some choices some involved.
    The classes for A5E are Adept (Monk), Bard, Berserker (Barbarian), Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Herald (Paladin), Marshal, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard
    Last edited by DragonQuest; 2022-01-23 at 04:54 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Would you be willing to share the pdf?
    It breaks the TOS with Gitp forum. But like I mentioned, can help with character creation.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I remember hearing about this system but I didn't know it was complete.

I'm interested, bought the pdf, will make a character, likely wizard for class, maybe dragonborn or elf for race...
    Last edited by Corwin Icewolf; 2022-01-25 at 03:21 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Icewolf View Post
    I remember hearing about this system but I didn't know it was complete.

I'm interested, bought the pdf, will make a character, likely wizard for class, maybe dragonborn or elf for race...
    Alright if you end up having more questions about the world and the likes, don't hesitate to ask me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The idea of a 5.5e got me interested, so I began reading through this and now I'm more interested. I've only read the Adept and Warlock so far (because Monk and Warlock are my favorite classes) but I like what I've seen so far.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    The idea of a 5.5e got me interested, so I began reading through this and now I'm more interested. I've only read the Adept and Warlock so far (because Monk and Warlock are my favorite classes) but I like what I've seen so far.
    Yeah, I really enjoyed what I saw, reading it, and think it would be an interesting game to run.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Aarakocra Fighter

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Cawson, born of the Seagull Aarakocra flock, was born into a world that did not expect much from him. Most from his Flock were rogues, thieves, and even a few fighters. The flock was very prominent in a coastal town, feeding off what they could steal, pillfer, and sometimes rob from others. They would swoop in from the sky, stealing lunches, shiny looking trash, or anything unattended. One day when young Cawson thought he would snatch a shiney looking orb. He dove in and was nearly able to snatch it until a very muscular looking man grabbed him and pulled him to the earth. The muscle wizard glared him down and asked what was cawson doing. With some quick talking and mercy on the part of the wizard, Cawson was allowed to live. Cawson began to return to the wizard, curious about his works. More and more he would sit and watch. He would begin taking bits of trash and writting down copies of what he saw, bound together in bundles of trash. While his parents would teach him to fight, The muscle wizard would let him learn the secrets that would eventually allow him to open his mind to the arcane. One day the Muscle wizard, or as he eventually came to call him, Master Morris, dissappeared without warning, and he only found a strange letter left behind for him. He now ventures out to find his master.
    Festival of Heroes:

19. - Top - End - #19

Aarakocra Fighter

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Cawson, born of the Seagull Aarakocra flock, was born into a world that did not expect much from him. Most from his Flock were rogues, thieves, and even a few fighters. The flock was very prominent in a coastal town, feeding off what they could steal, pillfer, and sometimes rob from others. They would swoop in from the sky, stealing lunches, shiny looking trash, or anything unattended. One day when young Cawson thought he would snatch a shiney looking orb. He dove in and was nearly able to snatch it until a very muscular looking man grabbed him and pulled him to the earth. The muscle wizard glared him down and asked what was cawson doing. With some quick talking and mercy on the part of the wizard, Cawson was allowed to live. Cawson began to return to the wizard, curious about his works. More and more he would sit and watch. He would begin taking bits of trash and writting down copies of what he saw, bound together in bundles of trash. While his parents would teach him to fight, The muscle wizard would let him learn the secrets that would eventually allow him to open his mind to the arcane. One day the Muscle wizard, or as he eventually came to call him, Master Morris, dissappeared without warning, and he only found a strange letter left behind for him. He now ventures out to find his master.
    Alright looking good, so looking for his missing master. I suppose you stopped in Arbington while looking for him.

During the game, I will talk about some of the changes with A5E but as mentioned before, O5E character creation wise is unchanged.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Think I have a character I could use. I used her in another game and I can make some tweaks. What's the expected posting rate?
    Last edited by herastor; 2022-01-27 at 04:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by herastor View Post
    Think I have a character I could use. I used her in another game and I can make some tweaks. What's the expected posting rate?
    Aiming for 3-5 posts a week at least could go faster or lower depending on the pace.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I should be able to do three a week. Anyway, here she is. I set her up with the O5e rules, but I'd like to see how she'd look using A5e.

Eithne Black, Human Druid

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Eithne had no idea why her father, Colvin, had brought her to the woods to hunt for game. Even at the tender age of six she could tell something was wrong. He’d left his traps and rope at home and only carried his walking stick. The same stick he used to bludgeon the child in a clearing. When Eithne came to, she found herself face to face with a giantess older than stone and taller than the trees, Máthair Bellona.

“Why do you sleep on this bed of grass cub?” the crone asked.

Being a polite soul, and lacking the strength or speed to escape, Eithne related the story of the journey she and Colvin had taken. How she was abandoned. While the girl talked, she came to realize why. The family was starving. The winter would be deadly with so many mouths to feed, so Colvin took matters into his own hands.

“Bereft then…” Bellona wiped away Eithne’s injury and tears with a touch, “Into my hand cub. I have need of a helper. The work will be hard, but meat, bread, and home will be your just rewards.”

The work was hard, as promised. Eithne helped the Máthair in her duties tending the hills and forests as well as maintaining the balance between spirit, fey, and man. As she helped, she also learned. Before long Bellona’s ward was a cub no longer. A woman in her own right, it was time for Eithne to find a place for herself in the wide world. Blessed with one of Bellona’s stone rings and the fealty of Tine, a spirit of fire, Eithne left her patron’s charge.

Without a clear direction she wandered back to the wooden boughs of her original home. The Blacks were gone, the farm overgrown, and the only word of their passage that she received was that they headed east. She set up her hovel in the ruins of the old home and reacquainted herself with the land of her birth. It went well, but she hadn’t expected the creeping loneliness to set in.

In combatting the isolation, she ranged the roads and soon came upon Arbington. Though she kept a respectful distance, a witch could hardly expect a warm reception, the some of the townsfolk’s friendly nature and welcoming attitudes reeled her in. The town became a regular stop on her wanderings.

Edit: Changed the content of Eithne's character sheet to line up with A5e
    Last edited by herastor; 2022-02-02 at 08:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I've the idea of a dhampir blood mage wizard if you'd allow the Tal'dorei Reborn book?

Matthias Shan, raised among the mages and scribes of the August Academy.
    Matthias doesn't know his origins. He just always remembered the academy and the pain. Pain? Well, he is dead.his flesh is pale bordering on gray, and the thirst just never leaves. His studies scream vampire, but the fact he's aged suggests something far stranger, but he's yet to see what he actually is.

“You know, sometimes I swear the whole universe runs on irony.”
    ― Simon R. Green, The Man With the Golden Torc

“Afraid? I can dodge folly without backing into fear.”
    ― Rex Stout, The Doorbell Rang

“The subtlest lie of all is the full truth.”
    ― Michael Moorcock, The Bane of the Black Sword

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by herastor View Post
    I should be able to do three a week. Anyway, here she is. I set her up with the O5e rules, but I'd like to see how she'd look using A5e.

Eithne Black, Human Druid

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Eithne had no idea why her father, Colvin, had brought her to the woods to hunt for game. Even at the tender age of six she could tell something was wrong. He’d left his traps and rope at home and only carried his walking stick. The same stick he used to bludgeon the child in a clearing. When Eithne came to, she found herself face to face with a giantess older than stone and taller than the trees, Máthair Bellona.

“Why do you sleep on this bed of grass cub?” the crone asked.

Being a polite soul, and lacking the strength or speed to escape, Eithne related the story of the journey she and Colvin had taken. How she was abandoned. While the girl talked, she came to realize why. The family was starving. The winter would be deadly with so many mouths to feed, so Colvin took matters into his own hands.

“Bereft then…” Bellona wiped away Eithne’s injury and tears with a touch, “Into my hand cub. I have need of a helper. The work will be hard, but meat, bread, and home will be your just rewards.”

The work was hard, as promised. Eithne helped the Máthair in her duties tending the hills and forests as well as maintaining the balance between spirit, fey, and man. As she helped, she also learned. Before long Bellona’s ward was a cub no longer. A woman in her own right, it was time for Eithne to find a place for herself in the wide world. Blessed with one of Bellona’s stone rings, a totem of ash, and the fealty of Tine, a spirit of fire, Eithne left her patron’s charge.

Without a clear direction she wandered back to the wooden boughs of her original home. The Blacks were gone, the farm overgrown, and the only word of their passage that she received was that they headed east. She set up her hovel in the ruins of the old home and reacquainted herself with the land of her birth. It went well, but she hadn’t expected the creeping loneliness to set in.

In combatting the isolation, she ranged the roads and soon came upon Arbington. Though she kept a respectful distance, a witch could hardly expect a warm reception, the some of the townsfolk’s friendly nature and welcoming attitudes reeled her in. The town became a regular stop on her wanderings.
    Will begin working on that conversion, just give me a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjeff View Post
    I've the idea of a dhampir blood mage wizard if you'd allow the Tal'dorei Reborn book?

Matthias Shan, raised among the mages and scribes of the August Academy.
    Matthias doesn't know his origins. He just always remembered the academy and the pain. Pain? Well, he is dead.his flesh is pale bordering on gray, and the thirst just never leaves. His studies scream vampire, but the fact he's aged suggests something far stranger, but he's yet to see what he actually is.

Yeah sure, will allow it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ethne, Female Human Druid, A5E version:
    Spoiler: Mechanic
    Show

This is just a basic version quickly done to give an overview of everything, I'm sure someone can make it a better looking sheet. I went with Eladrin culture to represent the fey connection and works pretty well, between a cantrip that you can swap during long rest for many other cantrips and giving you access to the twilight step to teleport 30 ft away like a misty step. I couldn't fit Hex into this setup but besides that, it can do everything your character was able to do. Create and Destroy Water isn't on the druid spell list in A5E, so couldn't get that spell either. You have more skills, more languages, more money if you want to buy other stuff.

STR 8
    DEX 14
    CON 14
    INT 12
    WIS 16
    CHA 10

Medium Human
    Speed: 30 ft
    Fast Learner: +1 skill proficiency and also 1/2 time during downtime to learn to use armor, tool, or weapon during downtime
    Intrepid: 1/long rest, you can choose to add one expertise die to any ability check, attack roll, or saving throw.
    Human Gift: Diehard Survivor
    Feast and Famine: You can go a number of days equal to your CON modifier without suffering any fatigue for lack of supply. But you will need twice as much supply as the day that went by afterwards.
    Radical Perseverance: You only die after failing 4 death-saving throws instead of 3.

Culture: Eladrin
    Essentially raised among the elvish lords that live in the feywild.

-Eladrin Weapon Training: Proficiency in longswords and rapiers

-Fey Sublimation: You are human with the fey subtype

-Invocation of the Eladrin lords: You can choose an aspect after each long rest, giving you minor changes into your appearance. Each aspect gives access to a cantrip associated with the Eladrin invocation: Autumn (Resistance), Hiding (Minor Illusion), Respite (Mending), Rot (Chill Touch), Spring (Druidcraft), Stars (Dancing Light), Storm (Shocking Grasp), Summer (Produce Flame), Toxicity (Pestilence), Winter (Ray of Frost).

-Knowledge of the Faerie Courts: Culture

-Twilight Step: You can forego your movement and teleport 30 ft away in an unoccupied space once per short rest or long rest.

Background: Exile

+1 Con and +1 Wis

Language: Common, Elvish, Sylvain, Giant, Gnome, Druidic

-Feature: Fellow Traveler, expertise die on persuasion checks for others who are far from their lands of birth

Exile Connection: Bellona
    Exile Memento: A Precious cultural artifact you must protect

Proficiencies: +2

Tool: Herbalism Kit

Skills: (note skills are not associated with ability scores anymore in A5E so they can use whatever ability score is more appropriate for the situation)
    -Animal Handling
    -Survival
    -Culture
    -Intimidation
    -History
    -Medicine
    -Insight
    -Nature

Saving Throws: Strength, Wisdom

Class Druid:
    Weapons and Armor proficiencies of Druid of course

Druidic Training: Druidcraft cantrip, Nature proficiency, Druidic Language

Secrets of Nature:
    -Eldritch Survivor: from the lands of the fey, you can use survival instead of Arcana to identify magical foodstuff, creatures, environment and do with an expertise die too.
    -Aerial Surveyor: Essentially you go to the highest point, survey an area, 5-mile radius become familiar with the area giving you an expertise die on perception or survival checks for 24 hours.

Spellcasting:

Cantrips Known: Druidcraft, [Eladrin Aspect cantrip], Produce Flame, Grapevine
    1st Level (2 slots): Entangle, Goodberry, Speak With Animals, Animal Friendship

Equipment: Druid starts with 115 Gold, but beside that, Equipment are the same prices so you can buy the same stuff
    Last edited by DragonQuest; 2022-01-27 at 11:43 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

How does the new character set up work with an undead vampiric human, no idea of family, raised among wizards?

Destiny? I think Matthias is meant to master hemocraft (blood magic) and use it to destroy his elder vampire father and avenge his mother, who died birthing Matthias. His mother, the wild magic sorceress Sapphire Jaunt, lost her entire troupe to the
    Vicomte Shan and his coven within the Spire Yew.

When Matthias discovers his history, his sole focus becomes Justice, red in Tooth and Claw.

He has a familiar, a vulture sized blood-hued bat named Arioch, was grown from a thumb Matthias bit off. The thumb regrew as the ritual concluded, and whenever he summons Arioch, the first step is the oral removal of his right thumb and concludes with the regeneration of his thumb and Arioch kneeling on his long-knuckled wings at Matthias' feet.

In the August Academy, Matthias spends his time studying a fusion of Necromancy and Transmutation utilizing his indigo and maroon ichor as catalysis.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2587298
    Last edited by jesterjeff; 2022-01-28 at 04:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

How does the new character set up work with an undead vampiric human, no idea of family, raised among wizards?

Destiny? I think Matthias is meant to master hemocraft (blood magic) and use it to destroy his elder vampire father and avenge his mother, who died birthing Matthias. His mother, the wild magic sorceress Sapphire Jaunt, lost her entire troupe to the
    Vicomte Shan and his coven within the Spire Yew.

When Matthias discovers his history, his sole focus becomes Justice, red in Tooth and Claw.

He has a familiar, a vulture sized blood-hued bat named Arioch, was grown from a thumb Matthias bit off. The thumb regrew as the ritual concluded, and whenever he summons Arioch, the first step is the oral removal of his right thumb and concludes with the regeneration of his thumb and Arioch kneeling on his long-knuckled wings at Matthias' feet.

In the August Academy, Matthias spends his time studying a fusion of Necromancy and Transmutation utilizing his indigo and maroon ichor as catalysis.
    Somewhat an option but not really at character creation for now, you would need to pick the Newblood feat and if you wanted the vampire spawn feat later on too which doesn't happen until you can trade an ability score Improvement for a feat.
    As I mentioned before, can't cross character creation due to having a different way to build character so the blood magic from Tal'Dorei Reborn wouldn't be an option.

But let's say I wanted to make a somewhat similar idea to your character concept:

-Human Heritage with Ingenious focus human gift (for great concentration and tools proficiencies)
    -Collegiate Culture with the Magic Studied Discipline to represent being raised by Wizards
    -Sage Background gives you access to various libraries around the world
    -Wizard Class, at first level, not many choices yet, but you will eventually pick the arcanist archetype if I had to guess Necromancy specialization
    Last edited by DragonQuest; 2022-01-28 at 04:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

I found a walkthrough of gen via a forum.
    Following that, I saw how I can stat him as normal... Just add +1 to Int and Dex, two akills, and a bonus language.

29. - Top - End - #29

I found a walkthrough of gen via a forum.
    Following that, I saw how I can stat him as normal... Just add +1 to Int and Dex, two akills, and a bonus language.
    Yeah like I said, you can make an O5E character for this campaign, that's not an issue.

A5E has a different character creation (like heritages for example don't give ability bonuses) but something that I will admit was wrong about that they do allow the use of the various archetypes options out there from O5E too with the new classes. Some edge cases might need some changes here and there but should be mostly usable.

30. - Top - End - #30

So, i'll remove those few buffs. cool