New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

d6 Lacrima Mage, Mages with Special Eyes (PEACH)

Look, look with your special eyes

"Magic is knowledge, magic is power, by this equivalence knowledge is also power, so the one with the most knowledge into magic, it's inner workings and how to deconstruct, reconstruct, alter and break it, must be the most powerful of all. All mages seek knowledge, some through study, some through prayer, and a few through both. But to cut through the noise and abstraction to see magic in it's most basic and primal form, that is to glance knowledge and truth itself. That's what real power looks like." - Azure Eyed Sage

Spoiler: Design Theory/Inspiration
    Show

Normally I'd have more to say but this was inspired entirely by a conversation i had with a friend about how Sha'ir have a Sharingan a Sha'iringan if you will. I caught one of my hyper fixation brain worms and had to make this before i could work on anything else remotly productive.

Lacrima Mage

Requirements

Skill Ranks: Spellcraft 9, Concentration 9, Knowledge (Arcana) 9, Knowledge (Religion) 9
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd level Arcane Spells and 3rd level Divine Spells without the modification of feats
    Feats: Able Learner, Reactive Counterspell, Combat Reflexes
    Special: Must have counterspelled a Arcane spell using a Divine spell and a Divine spell with a Arcane spell, Must be able to use Arcane Sight either as a spell or spell like ability

Hit Dice: d8

Skill Points: 6 + Int

Class Skills: Irrelevant All skills you possessed as class skills previously are class skills for you.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
    1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Combative Counterspell, Ocular Spell
    2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Arcane Sight +1 level of existing class
    3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Sanctus Oculari +1 level of existing class
    4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Darkvision (60 ft) +1 level of existing class
    5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Adept Researcher +1 level of existing class
    6th +4 +2 +5 +5 True Seeing +1 level of existing class
    7th +5 +2 +5 +5 Improved Ocular Spell +1 level of existing class
    8th +6/+1 +2 +6 +6 Greater Arcane Sight +1 level of existing class
    9th +6/+1 +3 +6 +6 Disjunctive Counterspell +1 level of existing class
    10th +7/+2 +3 +7 +7 Penetrating Sight +1 level of existing class

Spellcasting
    At each level other than 1st a Lacrima Mage advances any one spellcasting class they previously possessed to determine their caster level, spells per day, spells known, etc.

Combative Counterspell (EX)
    At 1st level a Lacrima Mage gains the ability to unweave and dismantle any spell they see cast. When they see a spellcaster attempt to cast a spell and successfully identify the spell with a spellcraft check, they can attempt to counterspell that spell. Unlike a use of the Reactive Counterspell feat this counts as an attack of opportunity and counts against the number of attacks of opportunity they can make in a turn. They cannot attempt to counterspell a spell if they have no remaining attacks of opportunity.

Ocular Spell
    At 1st level the Lacrima Mage gains Ocular Spell as a bonus feat if they did not have it already. Also reduce the spell level adjustment of the feat by 1 to a minimum of the spell's normal level. At 7th level the spell level adjustment of the metamagic is reduced by 2 to a minimum of the spell's normal level.

Arcane Sight (SU)
    At 2nd level the Lacrima Mage's eyes have developed to better analyze magic. They always act as if effected by the Arcane Sight spell.

At 8th level they instead act as if effected by the Greater Arcane Sight spell.

Sactus Oculari
    At 3rd level the Lacrima Mage gains the ability to deconstruct the fundamentals of a spell they see cast. When a Lacrima Mage makes a spellcraft check to identify a spell and has a result equal to at least 18 + 2x spell level, the Lacrima Mage gains a deep understanding of the spell. They choose to commit the spell to memory, they can have a number of spell levels committed to memory this way at any one time equal to twice their class level + their Intelligence Modifier. A spell committed to memory this way has several uses.

Spell Mimicry
    A Lacrima Mage can expend a spell slot, but not one holding a spell, to cast the spell spontaneously. Doing so requires a second DC 18 + 2x spell level spellcraft check and expending a spell slot, failing the spellcraft check means the spell slot is wasted. Regardless of if the spell is cast successfully or not the spell vanishes from memory.

Counterspelling
    A Lacrima Mage who identifies another spellcaster casting a spell they have committed to memory can expend a spell slot or prepared spell of that spells level to counterspell the spell. The spell vanishes from memory after successfully counterspelling a spell this way.

Spell Research
    A Lacrima Mage can choose to meditate on and dismantle a spell they have committed to memory and alter it to function as any other spell they can cast normally. Doing so requires a spellcraft Check modified by the type of spell and requires a amount of time determined by the type of spell. The time needed to research a spell is a number of days equal to the spells level if it is normally on your spell list, or a number of weeks equal to the spell's level if it is not.

• Spell normally on your spell list (DC 18 + 2x spell level)
    • Spell normally not on your spell list but of the same type, Arcane/Divine, DC 18 + 3x spell level
    • Spell of a different type, arcane/divine, and on another spell list (DC 20 + 3x spell level)

If the check is successful you can add the spell to the spell list of any one class you possess. If you prepare spells from a book you can immediately add the spell to your book. If you know spells you can replace any of your spells known of the same level with that spell, if you prepare spells from your entire list then you can prepare the spell normally. Spell research requires a amount of medicinal reagents and miscellaneous material worth Spell Level2 x 100 GP

Dark Vision
    At 4th level the Lacrima Mage gains dark vision out to a range of 60 feet. If they already have dark vision, increase it's range by 30 feet.

Adept Researcher
    At 5th level Spell Research always takes a number days equal to the base cost of researching a spell/1000 gp unless it would be lower. Additionally the cost of researching a spell is halved, this does not effect the amount of time required.

True Seeing (SU)
    At 6th level the Lacrima Mage always acts as if effected by the True Seeing spell.

Disjunctive Counterspell
    At 9th level the Lacrima Mage gains the ability to disrupt the magical energy in a creature when countering their spells. When you counter s spell against a creature effected by a ongoing spell effect, you can choose to make a dispel check, as if using dispel magic if the spell countered was 4th level or lower, or greater dispel magic if the spell was 5th level or higher, against any number of ongoing spell effects on the creature. If you succeed the spell effects end immediately

Penetrating Sight
    At 10th level the Lacrima Mage gains the ability to see through objects. As a full round action the Lacrima Mage can gain the ability to see through 10 feet of stone, soil, wood or similarly dense materials until the end of their next turn, 1 inch of lead or similarly dense metal blocks the effect.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

2. - Top - End - #2

Chimera

Default Re: Lacrima Mage, Mages with Special Eyes (PEACH)

reserved for future needed changes.

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it possible to copy spells that are neither arcane or divine such as the ones from the artificer or is it impossible?

4. - Top - End - #4

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Is it possible to copy spells that are neither arcane or divine such as the ones from the artificer or is it impossible?
    Via the current wording wording i believe it would be impossible. Artificer spells are kinda weird anyway in that they function like temporary magic items, plus they're one of the few things Archivist and StP Erudite can't use