New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Non-GW Miniature Wargaming Thread

I just got my copy of Silver Bayonet in the mail.

Haven't read it yet, but between this, Chosen Men, Rebels and Patriots, Absolute Emperor, and LaSalle I might eventually paint a Nappie miniature and get it on the table.

Anyone out there try it?
    *This Space Available*

2. - Top - End - #32

Beholder

Haven't tried Silver Bayonet yet. What do you think of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

3. - Top - End - #33

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Haven't tried Silver Bayonet yet. What do you think of it?
    To early to tell, but it feels a lot like a Joseph A. McCullough book. There are some deviations from his normal formula, but there is also the bones of his work. If you like Frostgrave, Stargrave, or Ghost Archipelago than this one is much the same with a few twists.

More to come if I ever get it on the table.....
    *This Space Available*

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler: Elven Ranger
    Show
    [IMG][/IMG]

Please ignore the dirty mold line. I'm notoriously bad at catching them until well into the job - and yes, it does lose me money.

Luckily this isn't for any one of my players, so I wont ever have to feel guilty about killing them.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2022-04-20 at 08:57 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #35

Beholder

Mold lines are a pain. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    To early to tell, but it feels a lot like a Joseph A. McCullough book. There are some deviations from his normal formula, but there is also the bones of his work. If you like Frostgrave, Stargrave, or Ghost Archipelago than this one is much the same with a few twists.

More to come if I ever get it on the table.....
    Ah, that is regretful. The 'grave series weren't bad, but not my thing. A bunch of small itches that added up.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #36

AssassinGuy

For those interested, here is some details about the new upcoming Castles in the Sky book from the Osprey Wargaming Series.

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...es-in-sky.html
    *This Space Available*

7. - Top - End - #37

Beholder

For those interested, here is some details about the new upcoming Castles in the Sky book from the Osprey Wargaming Series.

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...es-in-sky.html
    Flying WW1 ship combat game? Just when you think you have seen everything...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been following the 'non-GW' miniatures wargaming world for a fair few years, although unfortunately I haven't been getting many games in over the last year or so (for obvious reasons), aside from some practice games against myself for keeping my hand for if/when I will have to introduce other people to things.

In terms of games, my main miniatures collection consists mostly of Infinity, Bushido, and Malifaux, along with some various other miniatures not from specific game-lines, mainly for use in BYOM (Bring-your-own-minis)/mini-agonstic games. In regards to those, it's mainly: (advanced) Song of Blades and Heroes, Starbreach, Kobolds & Cobblestones, Frostgrave, and Rogue Stars, although I am also in the process of getting to grips with some of One Page Rules' creations.

As to potential future miniature lines (when I'm done with the current painting backlog), I've been leaning towards Moonstone, in no small part due to the aesthetic (plus having something fairly light and silly in terms of how it plays doesn't hurt). Carnavale isn't off the table either, although I don't really think I'm fond of the overall range enough to justify getting two forces for introductory purposes. Could see myself picking-up some of the Rashaar faction, since cultists and sea monsters aren't that hard to find uses for, but it's not high priority.
    In terms of things that aren't '28-to-32mm scale skirmishes', I have been looking at Dropfleet Commander a fair bit, although I am holding-off on making a decision there until Firestorm Armada's relaunch comes out of beta (just for something to compare it to).

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Ah, that is regretful. The 'grave series weren't bad, but not my thing. A bunch of small itches that added up.
    Yeah, to be honest in terms of rules I do find that 'grave seems a bit over-hyped, possibly being carried a bit by the campaign focus. It's not bad, mind, just a bit on the underwhelming side, and doesn't really have much in the way of systems or features that would make it stand-out from the crowd.
    The 2nd edition rulebook could probably have benefited from another editing pass in terms of how its contents are laid-out but, to be fair, that's hardly unique when it comes to indies

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm just getting into Star Wars legion myself, after spending many years just painting GW stuff. Haven't had a chance to play any games of it yet, but I did enjoy the process of painting the minis.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

10. - Top - End - #40

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    As to potential future miniature lines (when I'm done with the current painting backlog), I've been leaning towards Moonstone, in no small part due to the aesthetic (plus having something fairly light and silly in terms of how it plays doesn't hurt). Carnavale isn't off the table either, although I don't really think I'm fond of the overall range enough to justify getting two forces for introductory purposes. Could see myself picking-up some of the Rashaar faction, since cultists and sea monsters aren't that hard to find uses for, but it's not high priority.
    In terms of things that aren't '28-to-32mm scale skirmishes', I have been looking at Dropfleet Commander a fair bit, although I am holding-off on making a decision there until Firestorm Armada's relaunch comes out of beta (just for something to compare it to).
    Moonstone is a pretty neat game. Decent fun to play, and interesting and whimsical minis.

11. - Top - End - #41

AssassinGuy

I know nothing about Moonstone, can someone fill me in?
    *This Space Available*

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I know nothing about Moonstone, can someone fill me in?
    Moonstone is a skirmish game, about humans, goblins, faeries, gnomes, and other fairytale-esque. fighting over possession of valuable moonstones. Has a (self-described) whimsical art direction; aesthetically in a similar area as Labyrinth/Dark Crystal-era Jim Henson Company, or Tony DiTerlizzi's fantasy illustrations, would be the easiest way to put it. They're a decidedly indie sized manufacturer, so I don't know what availability would be like outside of the UK (which is where they're from).

Game-wise it's on the lighter end in terms of rules and not too serious in tone. For example, the moonstones are represented by d4s, which are placed on the field at the start of the game dropping all of them at once onto the centre of field and leaving them where they land (after redropping any that rolled out of the play area). The number rolled on each die representing how much digging models will need to do to extract them.
    Uses a custom deck of card for RNG, instead of other dice and doesn't have any sort of 'points cost' system for making forces, it's just a model limit, with each model being unique (there are rules for using a draft system for more competitive matches). Does also support 3- and 4-player games, with reduced model counts per player accordingly, fairly easily.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2022-05-09 at 01:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

So Conquest Organized Play is starting back up again in my area. Might be the motivaiton I need to finish putting all the 100 kingdoms units together.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #44

AssassinGuy

I have been seeing a lot of buzz for the Ancients game Strength and Honor. It claims to be for 2mm to 6mm scale minis and focus at a higher level of command than many other ancients games. This intrigues me, but at 2mm scale I wonder if just using Cards ala Blucher makes more sense?

Anyone tried it out?
    *This Space Available*

15. - Top - End - #45

Beholder

2mm scale does sound really small to me.

16. - Top - End - #46

AssassinGuy

Warcradle is pushing out a lot of interesting models lately for Dystopian Wars (D-Wars) but I have not had the stomach to give the actual game a shot.

Anyone have any insights on the new version?
    *This Space Available*

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be interested to hear more about it too. I bought into the Kickstarter a lot before Spartan went under and I didn't get anything for it. The way one of the leads from War Cradle handled the existing community of Dystopian Wars really put me off them as a company. I didn't really care for the directions they were taking the models in the initial concept designs either. So I just haven't been following the progress at all.

18. - Top - End - #48

AssassinGuy

The prologue to a review of A Billion Suns by Osprey Games

This game took a while for me to get. I actually ordered it about the day it came out. However, it got hung-up in Brexit and took a couple months to get to me. By the time I had gotten it, all the hype had died away. Even for me! Chances are, if you are interested in this game, you have all ready read plenty of reviews, watched battle reports for this game, painted your own fleets, and even played it by now. I am sure you all ready have an opinion on it, may even have a copy in your library of games, or even played a campaign of it. Oh well, better late than never!

A Billion Suns is a game of Corporate shenanigans.... IN SPACE! Unlike most spaceship games, you are not an admiral in control of a fleet. You are a space Consultant. You get contracts that equal money. One of the big challenges in this game is making sure you use the right tools for the job and do not break the bank. You need to operate in the Black. This is a big change to the usual genre conventions.

Mike Hutchinson is also the author of Gaslands. That was a big hit for the Osprey Wargaming Series. I am sure they are hoping he has put lightning in a bottle a second time. After all, Gaslands ended up getting re-booted and expanded into a hard back book.

Let's go into the interstellar board room and see what the R&D coats think of this.....

You can read the full review on the Blood and Spectacles blog here:
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...rey-games.html
    *This Space Available*

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian itP View Post
    Honestly, I've never played Battletech. I'm just interested in the fluff. In what year are they now?
    The map for the latest source book Empire Alone is 3152.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

20. - Top - End - #50

AssassinGuy

Despite saying I was NOT going to get into Nappies this year, I ended up picking up this book in order to review it. Plus, once I do start goofing around with Nappies I will have yet another set of rules to use them with! Win, win.

For those not familiar, this is a set of "Gothic Horror" rules set in the Napoleonic era, where bands of monster hunters go out and fight with each other and the supernatural. There are ghosts, hobgoblins, vampires, werewolves, and other things that go bump in the night. Your investigators are soldiers and civilians from all walks of life, and could include all manner of adventurers; not just guys in big hats.

They are written by Joseph McCullough who is pretty well known for writing Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Rangers of Shadowdeep, and Stargrave. That means this is a book from Osprey Games and it all ready has some built in popularity. However, being by the author it is you probably also have some built in assumptions about how the game is played.
    Now, let's head into the dark woods of the unknown and see what is on the inside of this book.

The full review in on the Blood and Spectacles Blog here:

http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...rey-games.html
    *This Space Available*

21. - Top - End - #51

Beholder

I really love that cover.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been diving back into Battletech recently.

I'm going to switch to a 2" hex map, I've already got the mat, but need to get terrain made. I've got some trees and such, but I need to print or make some bases for the trees. I'm looking at doing 3d printing for buildings, objectives, and that sort of thing. But 3d printing is a hobby entirely of its own. I'm learning Blender to make some of it, but still in that process and haven't even picked up a printer yet.

The only unfortunate part is that somewhere in years past a lot of my 'Mechs seem to have disappeared. It was probably 10-14 years ago, and a lot of moves. I could only find a few of my already build 'Mechs. I have no idea where they may have went either, since most of my other models from that time are still around. The old plastic starter box mechs are no big loss, but I'm not even sure if I still have the classics like the Timberwolf and Warhammer.

I did however find about 20 packs of various models I bought at the time but never got assembled. Some protomechs, some vehicles, battle armor, and more 'Mechs.

23. - Top - End - #53

AssassinGuy

Battletech is booming right now.

In the US, I often find fellow wargamers with experience of Battletech before having experience with Warhammer!
    *This Space Available*

24. - Top - End - #54

AssassinGuy

I have heard reports and seen some evidence that The Silver Bayonet has some splat books on the horizon. One for the War of 1812/North America, and one for the Carpathian Mountains.

I have also seen some evidence that Osprey is making a Dracula's America Role-playing game, so this is one of the rare times where a successful wargame will convert to an RPG.
    *This Space Available*

25. - Top - End - #55

AssassinGuy

Lion Rampant V2 is out, and it is to be followed by Xenos Rampant in November as the big Christmas release for Osprey.

Anyone playing Lion Rampant v2, and anyone planning on trying out Xenos Rampant?
    *This Space Available*

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Never heard of either of them, are they any good? I'm down the rabbit hole going into Star Wars legion myself right now.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Lion Rampant V2 is out, and it is to be followed by Xenos Rampant in November as the big Christmas release for Osprey.

Anyone playing Lion Rampant v2, and anyone planning on trying out Xenos Rampant?
    I am curious about Xenos Rampant, but then I've been 'planning to get around to' Dragon Rampant for about 8 months and counting so it could end-up being a while before I actually give it a look

28. - Top - End - #58

AssassinGuy

Lion Rampant was originally a Osprey Blue Book, so the fact that it is getting an expansion and a hard cover release means that it was popular at least. It is also the basis for a number of other Osprey Blue Book systems, including Xenos Rampant.

You can read a review I wrote a long time ago about Lion Rampant here:
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.c...y-wargame.html
    *This Space Available*

29. - Top - End - #59

AssassinGuy

*This Space Available*

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone here play Grimdark Future Firefight? Cuz I've played a few games with my cousin, which we are both enjoying, and while I know his god awful luck on the dice has been a major factor, I also feel like Infected Colonies are just really strong.

Anyone know if Im reading that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel