New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF III

Joanna enjoys the response of the crowd but it was difficult to relax when she was being watched. It wasn't as if Corey was going to try anything here but she couldn't help but be suspicious of whatever he was here for.

She'll hand her bass to James, 'Yeah. But I'm coming with you. He said he's alone but I don't trust him.' To the others, 'Be right back.' She's dressed for the gig, but at least has her phone on her.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

James sighs, and says , "Okay, hold on one second." He takes the bass guitar from Joanna and rushes it off stage to its black carrying case. He rushes back to join Joanna and follow her off the stage. It takes an extended period to get through the audience, with locals rushing to crowd around Joanna and tell her how great the show was.

(OOC: I think other players can follow Joanna if they want to...)

The two finally make it to the exit. There are plenty of attendees outside now too, and at first it seems like Cory has fled. But with a little bit of looking and a little additional sniffing, Joanna spots him on the far side of the terraced yard. Cory is leaned up against the fence, puffing leisurely on a cigarette, with a fancy looking flask in his free hand. He catches Joanna's eye and gives her an excited grin, making no move to escape.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna notices James' sigh. 'I'll make it up to you.' She'll make appropriately appreciative noises as she moved through the audience but is focused on catching up to Cory.

Outside she can only roll her eyes at Cory for playing games. To James, 'Keep an eye out.' She'll go and lean on the fence next to Cory and put her hand out, 'Give me one of those.' If he gives her a cigarette she'll lean over so he can light it. 'Just remember that I'm pretty sure I can call your Dad. Now...you aren't what I was expecting but tell me what you're doing here?'

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

James sighs again, and stays back while maintaining clear line of sight with his packmate and potential enemy.

Cory pulls a beat up carton of cigarettes out of his pocket, and after a practiced series of taps, hands her one. Returning it to his pocket, he removes a zippo and asks Joanna to lean forward so he can light it for her. To Joanna's first statement he turns his head to the side, eyebrows slightly furrowed. But with a devilish grin he replies, "You can call me Daddy? I'm sorry, but I don't think we're there just yet." His cheeks flush just a little.

Regardless of Joanna's reaction, to her question he replies with a shrug, "I wanted to see you guys perform." He takes a hard puff of his cigarette and sighs, as a cloud of grey smoke exits his nose and mouth. "Honestly, I haven't met a lot of other... of our kind. Outside of my pack, you're kinda' my first." His cheeks flush a little harder at this.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna snorts in amusement at the innuendo.'Normally you'd need to buy me dinner first.' She's not embarrassed in the slightest.

She'll listen to Cory's explanation with interest, but breaks into a grin at Cory's flush. 'I get that. I've met a few others besides this lot but it's not like I've known about all this for that long.' Joanna will take a quick drag to consider the wisdom of telling him her name. 'I'm Joanna by the way. That's all you're getting for the moment. How long have you been with the Professor? Will she be mad at you for sneaking out?'

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

When Joanna introduces herself, Cory replies, "Nice to meet you." But rather than offer a hand to shake, he offers Joanna his flask and says, "It's whiskey. Not sure if you like, but I haven't really developed a taste for wine yet."

To Joanna's first question he replies, "Less than a year," and in a near whispered First Tongue adds, "I'm still a pup." Cory grins at this, pleased to see his companion follow his change of language. "Eh, probably," Cory says with a shrug in reply to the second question, though the gesture seems to imply that he's pretty nervous about the whole thing.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

'Whisky's good.' Joanna will take a sip to taste followed by a longer swig. 'If I have to, I can drink whatever.'

She'll roll her eyes a little at the pup comment. 'I'm about the same, but I'm wondering when I grow out of that pup thing. Maybe there's going to be a test.' On the professor, 'Might as well come hang out for a while then. I mean, if she's already mad. Feel like I should ask though. Aren't you guys supposed to be some kind of scary cult?'

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It's definitely bourbon in the flask. If Joanna has any palette for the stuff, she might pick up on the fact that it is rather smooth, a little sweet with hints of peanut butter and caramel, probably something good quality.

Cory smirks and says, "Hopefully, she doesn't even realize it yet." This is followed by a look of uncertainty and a shrug. "Hopefully she won't..." he adds, his voice trailing off at the end. To her last point he shrugs again and says in a whispered First Tongue, "Honestly, I've heard all about you Forsaken, and the crimes you've committed. You have definitely not been painted in the best light. But... well you look pretty similar to me, and you smell pretty similar to me. I don't know, I guess I find it hard holding a grudge over something that happened a millennia ago when I only heard about it a few months ago." His eyes focus on Joanna. Dark brown eyes. Maybe slightly scared eyes.

Spoiler: OOC@All
    Show
    Do any of the other players want to do anything inside the joint if they are not joining Joanna outside??? I think there are plenty of opportunities for Roleplay here.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna does not have a taste for the whiskey, but enjoys it enough to take another swig before handing it back.

She assumes that Oakheart finding out would mean nothing good for Cory. 'Well **** her then.' Joanna will smile at the boy in sympathy. 'If you don't want to hang out with us for a while what's to stop you going back to California? Or like, Mexico if you feel like it. I've got people besides this lot, but it's not like the thought hasn't occurred to me.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Taking this out because of Bennos post below

Then Joanna will lean closer to respond in more hesistent First Tongue. It wasn't like she'd had much experience using it. 'I've heard the stories, but I can't say I know what to believe. I didn't do anything. There are some people that used to blame women for the Garden of Eden so maybe it's all bull**** here as well.'

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Joanna's words about escaping seem to bother Cory. He curls his lip back and barely stifles a warning growl. Joanna can smell the sudden anger escaping his skin with alcohol infused sweat and the quickening of his heart. "Careful what you say about Oakheart," he says in whispered First Tongue, "I don't want to escape! I'm not a captive or anything." He takes the flask back and takes a long pull, throwing his head back as he does. Wiping his mouth with his sleeve, Cory's eyes are narrowed and distrustful all of a sudden.

(OOC: I imagine this would stop Joanna from saying the second half of your post?)
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Spoiler: OOC@All
    Show
    Do any of the other players want to do anything inside the joint if they are not joining Joanna outside??? I think there are plenty of opportunities for Roleplay here.
    Jeremy will follow moments after she leaves, slipping through crowd and terrain alike with subtle ease after putting a nondescript jacket on. Hanging nearby, he may or may not be able to hear the conversation, but he keeps a sharp eye on the body language for risks. When he sees the way Corey is reacting to Joanna, the obvious attraction makes him grin slightly as he guards.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Jeremy will have Slip Away (pg 120) active to keep a low profile. -1 Essence.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna finds herself suppressing a growl of her own in response to the implicit challenge. She feels like she's stepped in something she doesn't quite understand. Her eyes narrow for a moment but she's good at composing herself. That did sound like something a person in a cult would say.

Aloud, she'll a long drag on the cigarette before she responds. 'Never said you were Cory. I just think it's nice to have options.' Joanna will lean forward and touch him on the arm. 'We're all friends here. If you want to hang out tonight we can. The owner guy did promise me free wine if you want to help me drink it.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Manipulate 1 + Persuasion 2 + Striking Looks (Persuasion)
    (4d10)[3][6][7][4](20)
    Any 10s
    (4d10)[10][8][9][1](28)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jeremy slips into the crowd standing around the terrace outside the winery, making his way towards where Joanna is talking with the Pure pup. From his viewpoint, she seems to be awfully friendly with him. They are both smoking cigarettes and chatting like old friends. She even leans in towards him, as if he might be more than just a friend...

Spoiler: OOC@GK and Haval
    Show
    Jeremy is down to 8 Essence. Now I consider that Joanna might notice and recognize him. The gift does not make Jeremy unrecognizable or invisible, just hard to remember (at least how I read it). But even if Joanna does notice her pack mate, she really won't take much notice of it and might forget she even saw her.

@Haval: What exactly is Joanna trying to achieve with that persuasion roll, and do you want to take a WP or a dramatic failure?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Cory steps back from Joanna's advance, shrugging away her extended hand. His eyes are wide, perhaps with shock, but they narrow as he says through clenched bared teeth, "I think I'm okay." He puts a hand up between him and Joanna (the one with the cigarette), and says in English, "Look, maybe this was a mistake coming here tonight. I was hoping to meet some others... like me, but no offense... but it seems like you're trying to convert me or something." Cory keeps his arm extended out between himself and Joanna, making it clear he doesn't want her coming a step closer. His hackles are up, and though it does not seem like Cory is stepping towards Lunacy, it seems that any good will Joanna had been gaining with him were not GONE.

From the shadows, Jeremy watches this exchange as the situation grows more and more tense...
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2022-07-30 at 02:49 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna sees Jeremy but doesn't react to his presence. Something about what he was doing meant that her mind slid right off the sight of him.

After Cory's responce she'll step back and put her own hand up to show that she wasn't a threat.'I didn't mean it like that. Sorry.' She'll finish her cigarette as she considers what he said. 'You know about that thing in the occean? So when we went over to the college to talk about it Oakheart told us to get out.' She'll switch to First Tongue briefly to be mindful of anyone who might be in earshot. 'Did sound at the time like she might have tried to kill us if we stayed. Am I wrong?' It's a rhetorical question but she'll pause a second to see if Cory had a response.

'So, leaving aside whatever you lot are doing here, what would you do if you managed to catch one of us alone? Or if you all decided to come visit us in the middle of the night?' Joanna is thinking of the wolf blooded and especially Ciara and it makes her a little heated. 'Unless you're a really good liar you seem like a decent guy, and ...you're super nice to look at.' Joanna wasn't immune. 'But Oakheart comes across as kinda dangerous, and all I know about blondie is that she seems angry all the time. Getting to know more about all of you would frankly make me feel better.'

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Cory steps back from Joanna's advance, shrugging away her extended hand. His eyes are wide, perhaps with shock, but they narrow as he says through clenched bared teeth, "I think I'm okay." He puts a hand up between him and Joanna (the one with the cigarette), and says in English, "Look, maybe this was a mistake coming here tonight. I was hoping to meet some others... like me, but no offense... but it seems like you're trying to convert me or something." Cory keeps his arm extended out between himself and Joanna, making it clear he doesn't want her coming a step closer. His hackles are up, and though it does not seem like Cory is stepping towards Lunacy, it seems that any good will Joanna had been gaining with him were not GONE.

From the shadows, Jeremy watches this exchange as the situation grows more and more tense...
    Leaning forward as the aura of emotion is almost visible, he gets ready to rush to her defense if he shows aggression.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After Cory's responce she'll step back and put her own hand up to show that she wasn't a threat. 'I didn't mean it like that. Sorry.' She'll finish her cigarette as she considers what he said. 'You know about that thing in the occean? So when we went over to the college to talk about it Oakheart told us to get out.' She'll switch to First Tongue briefly to be mindful of anyone who might be in earshot. 'Did sound at the time like she might have tried to kill us if we stayed. Am I wrong?' It's a rhetorical question but she'll pause a second to see if Cory had a response.
    Through still gritted teeth he replies in a snarling first tongue, "You are Forsaken. You are oath breakers. You are unpure." These things he says as statement, though based on their prior interaction, it is hard to say how much Cory had (at least until now) truly believed it. However, as he continues, he sounds less convinced, "She sees your pack as an inconvenience something to be dealt with eventually, unless you get in our way."

To her series of questions Cory replies, "I came here out of curiosity. I wasn't expecting you to insult my pack or my leader." He throws his spent butt underfoot and grinds it out with his heel. "You know NOTHING about Oakheart," he says in First Tongue, his voice rising loud enough for others around to hear his lupine growl. And in fact, a few heads turn in their direction, marked with surprise and slight confusion. The prior buzz of conversation around Cory and Joanna goes silent, as the onlookers start to direct their attention to the possible drama.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Unpure? Joanna thinks incredulously. She was surprised that someone who was roughly her age would use that word aloud.

'You're right... I don't know her.' she said in reply. She's sad about how this conversation was going but was getting irritated at his inability to meet her halfway. 'But how am I going to learn if none of you want to talk about what you're doing here. Who knows, maybe I'll agree with you.'

Joanna looked increasingly tense, and has unconsciously adopted a stance more suited for a fight if she suddenly found herself in one. She didn't like to back down even before she knew what she was.

Show

Long shot social roll
    Presence 3 + Persuasion 2 + Striking Looks 1 - penalty 3
    (3d10)[7][3][10](20)
    Any 10s
    (3d10)[4][8][2](14)

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC@Haval: Out of curiosity, is Joanna continuing in English or First Tongue, now that everyone is listening?)

Cory starts to turn to go, but something in Joanna's words clatter him across the back of the head. His shoulder twitches, and he just... stops. Wordlessly, the man turns around to stare back at Joanna silently. Seemingly aware of the eyes on him, he replies in low nearly whispered English, "Perhaps you could consider that you might be making assumptions about US as well." It's a statement, almost an accusation, but something Joanna said has seemed to strike a nerve. Perhaps he was sincerely trying to make friends.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2022-08-03 at 06:28 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

ooc - Speaking English. Just trying to dip into First Tongue when discussing anything strange.

Joanna finally registers the bystanders, but has little more to say. 'Maybe...come find me if you ever want to talk about it.' Perhaps he had a point. Everything she knew about the Pure was based on second hand information. On the other hand she was already confident of the kind of person Oakheart was.

If Cory has nothing more to say, she'll let him go.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

He nods his head slowly at Joanna's offer, his blue eyes fixated on her. Cory's nose even twitched a little, as if he was trying to sniff something out of her. He moistens his lips with his tongue, then finally replies, "Sure." He goes to take another swig from his flask, but stops before he even has the top unscrewed. Then Cory turns and simply walks away.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

****. Joanna will watch Cory leave before wiping her eyes. The thought had occurred to her during the conversation that she was due to help hunt down the totem of Cory's pack. Perhaps his leaving made things easier, but then again there was every chance that she'd have to kill this boy at some point. She could imagine just how she would do it as well.

She'll ignore the bystanders unless anyone actually wanted to talk to her. If James was still here she'll go up to him, 'If you ever see him around again let me know will you?' And because she needed it, 'You want a drink?' She will take the opportunity to pass on the gist of her conversation with Cory to any of the other Uratha that she ran into.

Show

Joanna is going to take the opportunity to drink too much and maybe resolve the pack ban.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear watches the boy go, his hackles raised. Negotiations were not his forte, and it was difficult to see the pup as anything other than the enemy, especially after that ritual.

Shaking his head, he returns to the afterparty, raising up a mug of ale and cheering the crowd on as he pulls Ciara in for a deep and quite lewd kiss.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

James nods his head cautiously, and says, "Sure." His cold eyes were inquisitive, maybe even judgmental, but he said nothing more than to gratefully accept Joanna's offer for a drink.

Inside the winery, music was blasting over the speakers (The Ramones), the lights were bright, and the crowd was full of energy. No one paid attention to Joanna's mood, most didn't even notice her enter, except maybe the rest of the pack; always attune to each other. She's even met by Bear at the door. Was he watching from inside?

(OOC: Let's do a Presence/Composure + Socialize roll to see how crazy Joanna goes?)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2022-08-06 at 03:23 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna doesn't feel the need to explain herself unless James actually asked about it. The music and the sight of Bear and Ciara does make her smile a little. Sometimes it was nice to see other people happy. Before she goes to the bar she'll briefly address Bear in First Tongue, 'Felt like I was talking to a kidnap victim.'

At the bar she'll go looking for that wine she had been promised and buy James whatever he wanted. She's mostly looking for someone to drink with and has given up on the idea of being responsible for the evening. Her tolerance as a Uratha was pretty high wasn't it? She will take the opportunity to get to know James and find out how he ended up with the Anchor Wolves. She didn't know any of the Wolf Blooded that well.

Spoiler
    Show

Presence 3 + Socialise 2
    (5d10)[4][8][5][7][3](27)
    Any 10s
    (5d10)[3][9][5][10][7](34)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The crowd reacts joyously to Bear and Ciara's kiss, the latter now quiet pregnant. One kid even brings her a shot to do, which she politely declines.

Joanna bursts into the crowd and orders herself and those next to her a round of drinks. There are some concerned glances, but after she takes down an entire glass of wine in one long gulp, she is pulled in and embraced by the crowd of party goers. Her antics further encourage some of the locals to buy a few bottles.

At some point in the night, Kara swings an arm around both Jeremy and Joanna's shoulders, kisses one and then the other on the cheek, and then says, "Welcome to the pack you two!"

(OOC: Not sure if there is anything else you guys want to do in this scene. Let me know if you want to move on

Joanna fulfills her Pack Bane.)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Still watching from his vantage point, Jeremy stays inconspicuous until Corey is out of sight, curious at his sudden, almost commanded departure. *He looks like he got chastised mentally. * he thinks, before heading back into the party and hopefully less threat. Finding Joanna, he mentions the curious thing "The way he suddenly clammed up and left, after you spoke to him last - did that seem rather abrupt to you? It's almost as if he got orders from someone to leave."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

At some point in the night, Kara swings an arm around both Jeremy and Joanna's shoulders, kisses one and then the other on the cheek, and then says, "Welcome to the pack you two!"
    Joanna is drunk enough by this point to return the hug with enthusiasm. She will get Kara a drink if she doesn't have anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GKnightBC View Post
    Still watching from his vantage point, Jeremy stays inconspicuous until Corey is out of sight, curious at his sudden, almost commanded departure. *He looks like he got chastised mentally. * he thinks, before heading back into the party and hopefully less threat. Finding Joanna, he mentions the curious thing "The way he suddenly clammed up and left, after you spoke to him last - did that seem rather abrupt to you? It's almost as if he got orders from someone to leave."
    'If that's a thing no one's told me about it.' Joanna shrugged. 'Cory claimed to have snuck out without telling his packmates. Oakheart doesn't seem like the type to have been ok with letting him come here tonight so I believe him. I think he's conflicted. He's been told some bad stuff about us. Maybe he's new enough at this not to totally believe it, but he's loyal enough to Oakheart that he didn't like me **** talking her.' Joanna looks sad. 'Felt like I could have handled that better.'

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Chapter 2 Act II Scene iii

“It will have blood, they say: blood will have blood.”
    Macbeth, Shakespeare

It was late morning when the pack had managed to regroup from the night's revelries. Some were in better shape than others. But the coffee had been made, passed around and drunk. More had been made too. And Pine had whipped up whole platters of eggs and bacon and potatoes for those in need. The decision had been made previously that today the pack would go after The Pure's Totem. They had gathered barrels of mercury, and made a pact to hunt down the monstrous spirit, though perhaps there was more to discuss, or things to take care of.

The Wolf Blooded stirred around the periphery of the great folding table that had been set up for breakfast. They watched and listened intently, deferring to the Uratha leaders.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze headed to the basement to check on the deep sea spirits, to make sure they still had enough essence to eat. The last thing they needed was a bunch of spirits going crazy right in the middle of their hideout.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig