New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF III

Bear rubs his forehead, getting a headache "Okay, so we're pretty sure they're doing something with the tides? We were worried about having them at our flank, but if they're focused on the idigam rather than us maybe their threat is less immediate than we thought. This proto spirit is the larger threat after all. We might even be able to exploit them and their efforts. Any thoughts on confirming exactly what they're trying?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Bear rubs his forehead, getting a headache "Okay, so we're pretty sure they're doing something with the tides? We were worried about having them at our flank, but if they're focused on the idigam rather than us maybe their threat is less immediate than we thought. This proto spirit is the larger threat after all. We might even be able to exploit them and their efforts. Any thoughts on confirming exactly what they're trying?"
    "I'm gonna ask around the spirit world and see if I can figure it out," Blaze said, "we might have to smooth over some of the locals too. After creating the new locus, they might get jealous, so... I guess that's what I'll be doing the next couple of days at least."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2022-11-04 at 01:25 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

'Can't say I'm not happy to be going into battle right this moment, but we probably should keep a look out just in case any of them decide to show up here. Feel like understanding what the hell they're doing is Blaze's department.'

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara chuckles and says, "Well that was a reversal of plan! Right, so Blaze, you want me to come with you? I can... uh, help with making a good impression?" She turns to the others and says, "Otherwise, maybe some of us should go back to the campus and see if we can't find out more information about some of the other pack members or something?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

'I can do that. Just call me if you need me. You want in on this Jeremy?'

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Kara chuckles and says, "Well that was a reversal of plan! Right, so Blaze, you want me to come with you? I can... uh, help with making a good impression?" She turns to the others and says, "Otherwise, maybe some of us should go back to the campus and see if we can't find out more information about some of the other pack members or something?"
    “Yeah sounds good,” Blaze replied.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara gives Jeremy a moment to speak, and checks Bear for his approval, saying almost questioningly, "Well then I guess it's settled. I'll work with Blaze in the Hisil and the pups will go check out the campus to find out more information about the other Pure Uratha. Bear?"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Definitely!" Jeremy replies, "Can't wait to put these mangy Pure down a notch or three."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GKnightBC View Post
    "Definitely!" Jeremy replies, "Can't wait to put these mangy Pure down a notch or three."
    'Maybe.' Joanna replies carefully. 'Ideally I'd like them to have no idea we were even there.'

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear nods, "Sounds like a plan. I'd better head for the campus as well. I want to be there if things turn ugly after all."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear departs with Jeremy and Joanna for the U-Mass Dartmouth campus to learn more about the younger Pure, while Blaze and Kara split to cross into the Hisil, intent on finding out more about what the Pure Werewolves were doing messing with the tides.

As Bear and the pups reach the campus, the sky is filled with fire as the sun begins its great escape towards the horizon. The group has multiple options as to how they might begin their investigation. They could simply ask around, using their social skills to start up conversations with random college students and see if they might learn something. They could also use their contacts with Chaz and the other hackysack players, reaching out directly to students they know... didn't one of them say their roommate was in Oakheart's class? Alternatively, the group could use stealth and their enhanced senses to try to track down the other Pure. Joanna had recently spent ample time with Cory; perhaps she knew his scent well enough to try to track down his regular haunts on campus... Or perhaps there was another way the group could accomplish their task?

Kara follows Blaze across the Hisil, the two Reaching at the monolith locus out on the dock. Unlike the cool bright weather on the other side, it is pouring icy rain in The Shadow. The winds whip violently across the ghost beach. The usual flocks of lesser spirits that gather around the Locus have mostly fled, seeking shelter from the inhospitable weather. Letting Blaze lead, Kara suggests that they might have several options, including seeking out some of the more powerful spirits that they have created relationships with. Perhaps the Deep Sea spirits would be a good group to ask first, though maybe King Sky Hunter will have some insights gained from its many hunts. Otherwise, perhaps they could go out on the water and look for other sea spirits that have witnessed something.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

“Let’s start close to home,” Blaze said.

He looked around for King Sky Hunter, if he can locate the spirit he will approach, otherwise he’ll head towards the locus where the Deep Sea Spirits feed from.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

King Sky Hunter is not in the immediate vicinity, and Blaze has not yet developed the Gifts or Rites needed to summon a spirit to his location. He could try to track the great spirit (OOC: Wits + Survival +2) which would take time and could take him and Kara deeper into the shadow.

The Deep Sea spirits would be likely a more immediate place to start, if that was Blaze's primary concern.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

King Sky Hunter is not in the immediate vicinity, and Blaze has not yet developed the Gifts or Rites needed to summon a spirit to his location. He could try to track the great spirit (OOC: Wits + Survival +2) which would take time and could take him and Kara deeper into the shadow.

The Deep Sea spirits would be likely a more immediate place to start, if that was Blaze's primary concern.
    Blaze decides to start with the Deep Sea Spirits, because King Sky Hunter might show himself later, when they're done talking with the first group.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna will refrain from tracking down Corey as she couldn't guarantee that she could meet him alone. Instead she will text Chaz. 'Hey, you around? I need a favour :). Can we meet somewhere and I'll buy you a coffee.' There was bound to be a cafe on campus somewhere.

To Bear and Jeremy, 'I could make something up or be honest about that whole thing with Corey's dad. Maybe a rich guy out in California decided to hire me to hunt down his kid and find out who he's been spending time with. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch actually. I have my licence and my dad's business card to prove I do this for a living.' Joanna wondered if that was still true since her First Change but is trying not to dwell on it.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara follows Blaze, shifting into the form of a giant white wolf as they descend down the side of the beach, to the Well created for the Deep Sea Spirits. Wind and freezing water pelt the two Uratha as they approach. The depleted chorus float round and round in the suspended chamber of glowing dark waters, fed on the very Essence that holds the existence of the Well in place. This close to the shore, the sound of the roaring tides and the shrieking wind silence the footfalls of the two Werewolves, but even so, the surviving Deep Sea spirits begin to gather at the edge of Well. The smaller less formed spirits make way for the larger more powerful ones, who watch with anxious eyes as the two Uratha approach. Some of the braver ones even push out from the Well to gather around the Uratha and usher them forward towards the body of the chorus. One of the leaders, a bulbous thing with barnacle crusted black scales and eyeless sockets speaks though its mouth never moves. "Uratha, have you finally come to be shown the layer of the impossible? Your shelter and the sustenance you have provided is appreciated. We are ready to return our part of our bargain, so that we may depart, and find a new home!"

Joanna gets a reply about five minutes later. The text is filled with typos, that makes her wonder about Chaz' sobriety. It reads, "Yooooo! Sup? We partyonhbatm! U wanns join?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna gets a reply about five minutes later. The text is filled with typos, that makes her wonder about Chaz' sobriety. It reads, "Yooooo! Sup? We partyonhbatm! U wanns join?"
    Joanna will roll her eyes and show the message to the others. 'I assume that roommate he mentioned might be there. Anyone want to get a drink?'

She will message Chaz back, 'Sure. Where you at? I don't know the campus that well.'

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

"This should be fun." Jeremy says. "Drunk and hopefully easy to work with. I'll stay in the background until you need me. What's our first goal? "

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Kara follows Blaze, shifting into the form of a giant white wolf as they descend down the side of the beach, to the Well created for the Deep Sea Spirits. Wind and freezing water pelt the two Uratha as they approach. The depleted chorus float round and round in the suspended chamber of glowing dark waters, fed on the very Essence that holds the existence of the Well in place. This close to the shore, the sound of the roaring tides and the shrieking wind silence the footfalls of the two Werewolves, but even so, the surviving Deep Sea spirits begin to gather at the edge of Well. The smaller less formed spirits make way for the larger more powerful ones, who watch with anxious eyes as the two Uratha approach. Some of the braver ones even push out from the Well to gather around the Uratha and usher them forward towards the body of the chorus. One of the leaders, a bulbous thing with barnacle crusted black scales and eyeless sockets speaks though its mouth never moves. "Uratha, have you finally come to be shown the layer of the impossible? Your shelter and the sustenance you have provided is appreciated. We are ready to return our part of our bargain, so that we may depart, and find a new home!"

Blaze

"Unfortunately no, our flank is weak and we need to shore it up first before we can complete our arrangement," Blaze said, "I hope the essence is to your liking. Before you left the deep, did you notice any other Uratha on the sea, a different pack from we who have sheltered you?"
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Chaz's first reply is, "Oh shut. You're in campus,???" He asks Joanna where she is, and when she tells him, he replies that they will come pick her up.

About fifteen minutes go by before a familiar beat up green sedan pulls up. The passenger side window rolls down and Chaz' red face grins out, a blue hoodie pulled up over his wild hair. "Sup bitches," he says with excitement, "Oh ****, I didn't realize you were bringing friends. Not sure we got room for you all back here."

There is a rumble of chittering spirit noises through the chorus, like the rising of wind through a cavern. The eyeless spirit bares its crooked needle teeth and again without its mouth moving, says, "We cannot stay here forever Uratha. We are ready to uphold our end of our bargain. We are not your captives, and your inattentativeness has already led to the depletion of our numbers. Many gafflings passed from starvation before you had replenished this Well. While your protection and your provisions are appreciated, we are ready to pay our debts so that we can be released!" The spirit's voice booms through the space, rising above the wind and the rain, its anger causing its corpus to grow brighter in the storm.

Kara eyes Blaze nervously, tilting her head as if to say, "let me know if you want me to step in".
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2022-11-13 at 10:23 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GKnightBC View Post
    "This should be fun." Jeremy says. "Drunk and hopefully easy to work with. I'll stay in the background until you need me. What's our first goal? "
    Before the car arrives. 'Hopefully if I find this roommate he can tell us something useful. Otherwise keep an eye out for the Pure. I don't think they're going to try anything but they'd be dumb not to come looking if they smell us.'

When Chaz arrives, 'Yeah, Bear is pretty big, but I'm not. I can squeeze if you've got space. Where are you partying anyway?'

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Someone opens the rear door, and a wave of marijuana smoke pours into the parking lot. There are two college students in the back seat. Up front, Chaz chuckles and says, "Shoot, are you just gonna leave your two friends?" clearly not concerned by whatever Joanna's reply will be.

In answer to her question he says, "Oh, we were just at a dorm, but we can go out to the soccer fields. They're normally a good place to chill, and campo never really come by there... as long as we don't make too much noise or anything."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Chaz's first reply is, "Oh shut. You're in campus,???" He asks Joanna where she is, and when she tells him, he replies that they will come pick her up.

About fifteen minutes go by before a familiar beat up green sedan pulls up. The passenger side window rolls down and Chaz' red face grins out, a blue hoodie pulled up over his wild hair. "Sup bitches," he says with excitement, "Oh ****, I didn't realize you were bringing friends. Not sure we got room for you all back here."

There is a rumble of chittering spirit noises through the chorus, like the rising of wind through a cavern. The eyeless spirit bares its crooked needle teeth and again without its mouth moving, says, "We cannot stay here forever Uratha. We are ready to uphold our end of our bargain. We are not your captives, and your inattentativeness has already led to the depletion of our numbers. Many gafflings passed from starvation before you had replenished this Well. While your protection and your provisions are appreciated, we are ready to pay our debts so that we can be released!" The spirit's voice booms through the space, rising above the wind and the rain, its anger causing its corpus to grow brighter in the storm.

Kara eyes Blaze nervously, tilting her head as if to say, "let me know if you want me to step in".
    Blaze nods at Kara. If she wanted to try calming the spirits down, he was more than willing to let her.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna has to wonder how much the marijuana smoke would mask their scents. 'Alright maybe there's not enough room. I don't want to sit on anyone's knee or anything.' Joanna will get closer, 'Chaz I need a favour. You remember what I said before? Is there any chance you could introduce me to your roommate?' She'll gesture to the other college students in the car, 'It's not one of these guys is it?'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Presence 3 + Persuasion 2 + Striking Looks (Persuasion) 1
    (6d10)[4][4][7][2][1][3](21)
    Any 10s
    (6d10)[9][6][9][7][5][1](37)

Spent Wp to get a 9 in the ooc

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara trots forward, standing on all fours between Blaze and the chorus of Deep Sea Spirits. Raising her muzzle to the sky, she howls out in First Tongue, the language formed easily by her more lupine tongue. "Deep Sea Spirits, we mean you no offense and apologize for monopolizing you so! Our duties have kept us overly busy, and we are harried by many enemies, who wish us and your kind harm! We ask for your patience just a little longer so that we may better protect these lands. We ask for your understanding that we need to fulfill our promises and our duties to all, and that we swear to fulfill our promise to you!"

Kara finishes, leaving the empty space filled with chaos noise of the storm. After a long moment, the lead spirit replies, "We shall wait one more day. One more moon and then we leave!" The chorus of spirits shake and chitter in agreement. Kara turns her head around on her long shaggy neck, her eyes catching the light from the Well, shining with the light of Essence.

The grin that was quickly growing on Chaz' face quickly disappears when Joanna makes her request. "You want to meet Ned?" he asks, his voice filled with disbelief and disappointment.

"Cold blooded," someone calls out from the backseat.

Chaz shakes his head and says, "Nah, he's not with us. He's... he's kinda' a straight edge loser. Why you wanna meet him? We could have so much more fun somewhere else." His voice is pleading, but when he sees Joanna's expression, he says, "Look. Can I just give you his number or something? I mean, we can go back to my dorm... but that's not really what you wanna do tonight, is it?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna flashes a grin at whoever had commented on her in the back. She'll hold her hand up to Chaz, 'It's not like that. I didn't even know the guy's name until a second ago. But you said he's in Professor Oakheart's class didn't you? I got some questions.' To everyone in the car, 'There might be money in it if you can believe it. Unless the rest of you guys can help me out? We can always have fun later.'

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Yeah, Ned's not exactly much fun," Chaz says, a look of relief on his face.

Though a kid in the far back of the car, wearing a leather jacket and sunglasses despite the dim calls to Joanna, "Money? Yo, you swear you're not a narc', right?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

'If I was a narc would I have brought that weed from Chaz the other day?' Maybe don't answer that. 'My Dad's a private investigator back in Boston. I work for him sometimes when I'm not being a bassist. There's this guy from California who has class here. He's got a rich Dad who'd like to check up on him.'

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Oh, okay," Chaz says in response to the explanation, his voice sounding disappointed and defeated. There's a moments pause, where no one in the car speaks up. Chaz sighs, refusing to look up at Joanna as he stares out the front windshield. He says, "Well, if you want to follow us, we can take you up to the dorms and I can introduce you to my roommate. We'll go off and enjoy ourselves, and well, you guys can get whatever work done you need." He still doesn't look up at Joanna.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Kara trots forward, standing on all fours between Blaze and the chorus of Deep Sea Spirits. Raising her muzzle to the sky, she howls out in First Tongue, the language formed easily by her more lupine tongue. "Deep Sea Spirits, we mean you no offense and apologize for monopolizing you so! Our duties have kept us overly busy, and we are harried by many enemies, who wish us and your kind harm! We ask for your patience just a little longer so that we may better protect these lands. We ask for your understanding that we need to fulfill our promises and our duties to all, and that we swear to fulfill our promise to you!"

Kara finishes, leaving the empty space filled with chaos noise of the storm. After a long moment, the lead spirit replies, "We shall wait one more day. One more moon and then we leave!" The chorus of spirits shake and chitter in agreement. Kara turns her head around on her long shaggy neck, her eyes catching the light from the Well, shining with the light of Essence.

The grin that was quickly growing on Chaz' face quickly disappears when Joanna makes her request. "You want to meet Ned?" he asks, his voice filled with disbelief and disappointment.

"Cold blooded," someone calls out from the backseat.

Chaz shakes his head and says, "Nah, he's not with us. He's... he's kinda' a straight edge loser. Why you wanna meet him? We could have so much more fun somewhere else." His voice is pleading, but when he sees Joanna's expression, he says, "Look. Can I just give you his number or something? I mean, we can go back to my dorm... but that's not really what you wanna do tonight, is it?"
    "You are free to go as you desire; you are not prisoners," Blaze said, "This does not, however, absolve you of your obligations. You will provide your name so you can be called on to fulfill your promise at a later time. Further, you may stay as long as you wish, but if you depart, then a return to consume essence from the locus we have created for you will require an additional gathra."
    TC for short