New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF III

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "Well, am I wrong, or has the ranks of your packs shifted since you freed me?"
    Joanna looks up. 'Yeah I'm new at this. I'm Joanna. The guys told me about you. I'm sorry that you were stuck there for so long.' The spirit of a whaling ship was not the most threatening thing she had seen lately.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Bowing to the figurehead, Jeremy says "Honoured, mighty vessel! I am Jeremy Coppers, a minor player in the games of Shadow and Material, but ever learning of the rules."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The spirit's sneer seems to soften at the introductions made by Joanna and Jeremy. Pequod sighs, or makes a noise that might be interpreted as one; a low whistling noise and puffs of smoke blow from the many skeletal barnacles that mar its hull as the spirit wood of its body creaks and shift. "Well met," the spirit replies, the nicety expelled almost as a relenting admission of guilt. Now more calmly, the spirit turns its attention back to Bear, Kara and Blaze and says, "What it is then that you have summoned me for Uratha?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

The spirit's sneer seems to soften at the introductions made by Joanna and Jeremy. Pequod sighs, or makes a noise that might be interpreted as one; a low whistling noise and puffs of smoke blow from the many skeletal barnacles that mar its hull as the spirit wood of its body creaks and shift. "Well met," the spirit replies, the nicety expelled almost as a relenting admission of guilt. Now more calmly, the spirit turns its attention back to Bear, Kara and Blaze and says, "What it is then that you have summoned me for Uratha?"
    Blaze

“We wish a fair trade, oh wise Hunter of the waves,” Blaze replied, “the deep sea spirits have told us of a powerful entity, somewhere in the depths. Other spirits flee this entity, but we intend to find its lair. Since you have trawled these waters for centuries, we request that you transport us where the deep ones lead, and help hunt down this powerful entity. We do not demand your acceptance, only ask what gathra you would request for this alliance and hunt.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The figurehead stops moving, suddenly still like a statue; or an inert wood carving. No noise comes from the ship, except for the sound of its sails waving and fluttering with the gusts of wind. After several long seconds, the wooden planks of the ship begin to creek again as if some deep force from within the ship were pushing outwards against its hull. "You shall help me hunt down a great whale spirit," Pequod replies, though the figure head remains frozen still, "I shall take you today, and you shall help me on the morrow." Only after the spirit has finished talking does the neck of the wooden whaler turn so that its wooden eyes stare down at the Anchor Wolves.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

The figurehead stops moving, suddenly still like a statue; or an inert wood carving. No noise comes from the ship, except for the sound of its sails waving and fluttering with the gusts of wind. After several long seconds, the wooden planks of the ship begin to creek again as if some deep force from within the ship were pushing outwards against its hull. "You shall help me hunt down a great whale spirit," Pequod replies, though the figure head remains frozen still, "I shall take you today, and you shall help me on the morrow." Only after the spirit has finished talking does the neck of the wooden whaler turn so that its wooden eyes stare down at the Anchor Wolves.
    “We hunt the whale after any injured are recovered,” Blaze said, “is this agreeable?”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna looks sceptical but will nod. 'I can certainly give it a try. Do you have any advice in how you go about hunting whales? I feel like I should get a harpoon.'

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The whaler's head turns to the side, seeming to consider Blaze's statement. After a long moment the spirit replies, "You... you are hunting the Idigam, aren't you? That is why you think you will need time to heal! Right?" There is something mirthful in Pequod's words, something excited and sinister. "Oh, you have no idea what you are getting into," it adds. "Well, then there is more to our bargain. I... I get all of the Essence from our hunt; from both the great whale spirit, and from the Idigam."

To Joanna the spirit replies, "Ropes will probably be more important. I can get you to the spirit, and you will attack it... though you might get a bit wet."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, you have no idea what you are getting into,"
    'Oh I agree. Anything you want to add on that subject?'

On the whaling, 'I'll bring a towel.'

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

The whaler's head turns to the side, seeming to consider Blaze's statement. After a long moment the spirit replies, "You... you are hunting the Idigam, aren't you? That is why you think you will need time to heal! Right?" There is something mirthful in Pequod's words, something excited and sinister. "Oh, you have no idea what you are getting into," it adds. "Well, then there is more to our bargain. I... I get all of the Essence from our hunt; from both the great whale spirit, and from the Idigam."

To Joanna the spirit replies, "Ropes will probably be more important. I can get you to the spirit, and you will attack it... though you might get a bit wet."
    The whaling ship spirit had just inadvertently admitted it considered it possible to destroy the Idigam, which was a plus in his book.

Blaze considers the implications of this spirit consuming all the essence from Idigam and a great whale spirit.

Spoiler
    Show
    int + occult + spec (spirits): (9d10)[3][6][3][4][4][8][10][7][4](49)
    9 again: (9d10)[8][8][1][4][4][4][1][1][5](36)
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-02-12 at 07:56 PM.
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Despite the limited expressiveness of the figurehead's wooden features, there is a certain smuggness in how it refuses to reply to Joanna's question.

Blaze mulled it over. There was no clear harm in the whaling spirit feasting on the Essence of a whale spirit; that was... natural! However, Blaze did have to wonder what sort of effect it would have in the world of flesh. The whale population couldn't be that healthy, and killing off a major whale spirit might have significantly detrimental effects on that population, not to even consider how a decrease in the natural whale population might effect the rest of the environment.

The question about the whale feasting on the Idigam's essence was another question all together. Blaze had never seen the Idigam, he had heard all sorts of rumors about what the Idigam might be, or where it might have come from, but the concept of the spirit remained an enigma of sorts. There was no telling what would happen if Pequod, or an Uratha for that matter, was to feed on its essence.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Despite the limited expressiveness of the figurehead's wooden features, there is a certain smuggness in how it refuses to reply to Joanna's question.

Blaze mulled it over. There was no clear harm in the whaling spirit feasting on the Essence of a whale spirit; that was... natural! However, Blaze did have to wonder what sort of effect it would have in the world of flesh. The whale population couldn't be that healthy, and killing off a major whale spirit might have significantly detrimental effects on that population, not to even consider how a decrease in the natural whale population might effect the rest of the environment.

The question about the whale feasting on the Idigam's essence was another question all together. Blaze had never seen the Idigam, he had heard all sorts of rumors about what the Idigam might be, or where it might have come from, but the concept of the spirit remained an enigma of sorts. There was no telling what would happen if Pequod, or an Uratha for that matter, was to feed on its essence.
    Jeremy, content with letting his betters make the choices for the spirit realm and it's interactions, merely says "Sounds like we have a ride, and an ally. What else should we prepare?"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you know what will happen if you consume the essence of the Idigam?" Blaze asked.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    "Do you know what will happen if you consume the essence of the Idigam?" Blaze asked.
    '**** that's right. What happens to the essence if Pequod doesn't take it? Does that mean the first scavenger that comes along gets to feed off it?'

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The countenance of the wooden figurehead sours, and Pequod replies with an annoyed tone, "I won't starve... like your pack left me to do in your shipyard." The ship seems to sway side to side, creaking and groaning, as the figurehead crosses its arms, almost hitting itself in the face with its harpoon. With finality, Pequod says, "Those are my terms Uratha. Take them or leave them!"

Bear puts a hand on Blaze's shoulder, giving the Ithauer a knowing glance. He leans in and whispers as quietly as he can, "I think we have to take it. We'll just have to kill Pequod if or when it turns into a Magath." As he pulls away from Blaze, he gives an affirming nod, turning to the others with a glare that says "let Blaze speak now".
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna, who had not been responsible for Pequod's predicament, feels like he had a point. And if they were capable of dealing with the Idigam in the first place maybe dealing with Pequod if he went bad would be child's play.

She'll respond to Bear's glare with a questioning expression but is otherwise content to let Blaze talk.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

The countenance of the wooden figurehead sours, and Pequod replies with an annoyed tone, "I won't starve... like your pack left me to do in your shipyard." The ship seems to sway side to side, creaking and groaning, as the figurehead crosses its arms, almost hitting itself in the face with its harpoon. With finality, Pequod says, "Those are my terms Uratha. Take them or leave them!"

Bear puts a hand on Blaze's shoulder, giving the Ithauer a knowing glance. He leans in and whispers as quietly as he can, "I think we have to take it. We'll just have to kill Pequod if or when it turns into a Magath." As he pulls away from Blaze, he gives an affirming nod, turning to the others with a glare that says "let Blaze speak now".
    "It is a mighty bounty, all the essence from both hunts," Blaze replied, "With the strength you gain from this, I would ask that you disrupt the tidal ritual the Pure Uratha are enacting."

Spoiler
    Show
    Blaze trying his luck to get a little bit more.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

There is one more wicked sounding shriek of wood grinding against wood. Pequod's mouth (or the mouth of Pequod's figurehead) twists into a grin. "I would be happy to help... disrupt the machinations of some Uratha. You have my word, Ithauer Blazel," the spirit replies.

If Blaze glances over at Bear, his face is gaunt and taught, but the Rahu makes eye contact with his packmate and gives him an affirming nod.

(OOC: Blaze is down to 3/4 WP)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-02-18 at 09:47 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

There is one more wicked sounding shriek of wood grinding against wood. Pequod's mouth (or the mouth of Pequod's figurehead) twists into a grin. "I would be happy to help... disrupt the machinations of some Uratha. You have my word, Ithauer Blazel," the spirit replies.

If Blaze glances over at Bear, his face is gaunt and taught, but the Rahu makes eye contact with his packmate and gives him an affirming nod.

(OOC: Blaze is down to 3/4 WP)
    “Then we are in agreement,” Blaze said, “may this be the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship. We will gather a few things to help on the voyage, any suggestions would be appreciated. Then we will meet here to depart before sunset.”
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    “any suggestions would be appreciated. Then we will meet here to depart before sunset.”
    'I would also like to know that.' Joanna muttered.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Without moving in anyway, Pequod replies, "It will be sundown soon enough." Answering Blaze's question, the spirit says matter-o-factly, "Nets and harpoon and lots of rope," though whether Pequod was referring to for the Idigam or for the whale spirit, it was unclear.

Bear speaks up hastily and adds, "We will be following a group of Deep Sea Spirits. They know where this Idigam's lair is, and have promised to lead us there."

"Very well," Pequod replies, seeming unperturbed.

To Blaze, the Rahu mutters under his breath, "Sorry, just figured I'd get that out there."

Kara steps up to the other seniors and says, "I can go get the Deep Sea Spirits ready, while you guys get whatever else we need. Just uh, get me my leather jacket from my room. My guess is it's gonna be cold out there." She hugs her arms across the torn and spray painted white T-shirt she is wearing.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna is open to the idea that Pequod was correct here. 'Harpoon. Maybe there's a building site around somewhere. Or a fence.'

To Bear, 'I can't shake the feeling that's its like going after wherever Godzilla lives. Like there's a big cave on the bottom of the occean.'

To Kara, 'You got it. And some towels. Maybe a hipflask?'

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Joanna is open to the idea that Pequod was correct here. 'Harpoon. Maybe there's a building site around somewhere. Or a fence.'
    Bear shrugs and says, "Probably something can be thrown together from the warehouse itself." Joanna will by this time know that in The Shadow, the Cannery instead appears as an old wooden shipyard. It actually used to house Pequod. "Though, I don't know what good it might do us against the Idigam..." Bear adds, concern lining his face. He nods at Joanna's comment about going after Godzilla but does not comment.

Kara chuckles at Joanna's comment. "Definitely a hip flask," she says with a warm grin, even coming over to wrap an arm around Joanna's shoulder and give it a squeeze, "Good idea."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

"So, we need to gather up fishing gear from this side, for it to work against our foe, correct?" Jeremy asks, curious. "Is there anything else that we should do to prepare for this upcoming battle, like energize our allies with a micro-concert or something? If not let's go become mighty fishers of the Deep!"

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

After Bear comments, 'Oh that's right. Maybe there's an actual harpoon lying around on this side.' Joanna had not paid much attention to what the Canary in the Shaow actually looked like. She'll shrug at the other comment. 'Maybe go for the eyes. How are you at throwing?'

Joanna will grin at Kara and return the hug with her other arm. 'Whisky it is. If all goes well I think we're going to need a drink afterwards.'

To Jeremy, 'I'm willing to try if everyone else is. Normally I'd want to have a look at this thing before we go in on mass but I don't think it's the sort of thing you can scout.'

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bear grins at the question and replies, "Well there's a reason I went into music and not sports." He sighs and then adds, "but we take what is given, right?"

After a little more conversation, the pack split up to complete their various tasks. Kara returns from the well, followed by the shifting glowing herd of Deep Sea Spirits. Many of the lesser motes flitter and hiss nervously, while the more developed and powerful spirits simply follow solemnly, their tails whipping lazily back and forth as if they were swimming the ocean. As they near Pequod, the chorus keeps a wide berth, and the lesser spirits flit around even more anxiously. None the less, nothing is said between the Deep Sea Spirits and the towering whaling spirit.

Joanna and Jeremy return from the Shipyard. The old and dark building had creaked and protested their weight as they had rummaged around for supplies. The two pups return carrying a handful of harpoons and lots of rope, though there wasn't much netting they had found, and most of it had been gnawed (or maybe sawed) into useless pieces.

The others return with blankets and jackets, and alcohol.

When everyone is gathered, the leader of the Deep Sea Spirits addresses the Uratha. "We shall lead you out into the open waters, to seek the layer of the Idigam," the spirit bellows, opening its massive mouth filled with rows of needle long teeth. It continues, "As we get closer, there will be need to remain quiet and if possible hidden. The Idigam's spawn populate the waters near the island. They are foul and unnatural creatures, and will likely attack us upon detection."

The spirit seems completely oblivious to how Pequod, a massive boat, was going to accomplish this.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

'I think we've met the spawn before. If we do run into them can you stay out of their way and let us deal with them.' Joanna is leaning on a harpoon and has come back wearing her hoodie on under her jacket. 'Pequod...can you sail quietly if you have to?'

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pequod's figurehead raises the harpoon in a wooden hand proudly as it replies to Joanna, "I, like you little Uratha, am a hunter. It is loud out at sea; the howling wind, the rolling waves. I can move silently enough. Do you have any other reservations?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Joanna nodded, 'That'll have to do.' Could the ship even hide itself from something coming from below it? It was hard not to picture 'Jaws'.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Once all the Uratha are gathered and ready Pequod says, "Very well then... all aboard." The wooden boards of the spirit's hull groan and creek. But rather than a boarding plank being extended, or ropes being thrown overboard, the hull of the ship will actually split open horizontally, revealing an opening very similar to a mouth. For a moment you can catch a glimpse of a below-deck cabin. Then out from the orifice sprouts a long and muscular tongue, about five feet in width, and long enough to reach the shore where the Anchor Wolves stand.

The Uratha board, bringing with them their gathered supplies. Once everyone has made it onto the spirit ship, Pequod will gesture to the Deep Sea Spirits, who float out into the ocean. The dark waters of the bay begin to glow with the spirit Essence of the Deep Sea Spirits, creating beautiful glowing shapes that shimmer and stretch under the surface of the water, creating a trail for Pequod to follow.

The whaling spirit pushes off, sails lifted though the wind is blowing lightly and in the wrong direction. Within fifteen minutes or so, Pequod is far off from the dock, navigating choppy waters that seem to make every attempt to overturn and thwart the progress of the ship. Several times the sea is so violent that the turn of a wave literally takes all those on board out of their seats or off their feet, floating for perilous moments in the air before crashing back down onto the deck. It becomes clear very quickly that the sea is no place for an Uratha, no matter how mighty of a hunter she or he may be, and these waters seem to be particularly unwelcoming.

(OOC: Please everyone roll a Stamina + Survival roll. Failure will put all physical rolls for the rest of the scene at a -1)
    Show